Vegetable gardening!

On 29/03/2017 at 2:24 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Youngest loves all sorts of random color foods. It entertains her and while Oldest is less enthused, he will eat anything being an almost 14 year old boy. I hope you find them, they taste really good and are just fun to have around sometimes. "Oh heres a dragon's egg for the salad.." Lol

Good luck with the gooseberries. We only did them the one year and that was enough for us. We didn't have much in the way of uses for them and I think they are still in the freezer while we decide what to do with them. LOl. WE haven't done yams or sweet potatoes yet. For the life of me I can not grow a bell pepper. IF its bell shape it ends up tiny and rotten on the end. Its alot like blossom rot. But if RIGHT next to it is a pointed end pepper, I can grow those all perfectly all day. So we went to pointy sweet peppers like Youngest favorite Violet Sparkle peppers. Those we have so much more luck with. And if I remember to put the pepper booster (Epsom salt and water) on them, I have peppers coming out my ears.

I'm growing the pointy red peppers, I prepare them to bell peppers to eat.  I must check out that Pepper Booster :D

Just got the cover on the tunnel, planted my strawberry tower and some wall baskets today, garden is coming together nicely!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Witchwolf said:

I'm growing the pointy red peppers, I prepare them to bell peppers to eat.  I must check out that Pepper Booster :D

Just got the cover on the tunnel, planted my strawberry tower and some wall baskets today, garden is coming together nicely!

I am not going to lie, I use the pepper booster on my tomatoes too. Most blossom end rot is actually from a shortage of magnesium, so the epsom salt booster helps with that too. (Multipurpose for the win).

I am glad your garden is coming along. I feel like I am ignoring mine, but I know its because it is just too cold here yet.

• Like 1

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

29 minutes ago, RevQu said:

My asparagus and chives are starting!!! THANK GOODNESS, it's finally (sort of) spring here!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My chives and tarragon are up and running. The raspberry bed in the ground has gone a bit nuts. I noticed today we have one growing behind the air conditioner.. Guess we need to pour some vinegar back there again.

I hope your other plants start to pop up too.

• Like 1

I got the peppers into dirt from their seed starters yesterday. I felt so accomplished until I realized I forgot to make sure they had somewhere to go in the house when they were done. Oops... Fortunately we got that figured out since it is still too cold for them to live outside and they have not been hardened off yet.

In other news, Youngest's black lily's are starting to come up. They usually come up a bit before my stargazers, which is one of the few flowers in the world that I care about. (They were the flowers of my wedding). The elderberry is showing signs of life. THe blueberries and the rose bush not so much. Hoping they  start waking up soon.

• Like 2

Just started the potato cage yesterday it should be interesting to see if it actually works; https://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-grow-potatoes-in-a-cage/

Also the three strawberry plants turned into 12 this spring; I may have accidently turned one of my garden boxes into a strawberry field; just will have to get some more buckets for other things

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

On 4/19/2017 at 8:35 AM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Just started the potato cage yesterday it should be interesting to see if it actually works; https://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-grow-potatoes-in-a-cage/

Also the three strawberry plants turned into 12 this spring; I may have accidently turned one of my garden boxes into a strawberry field; just will have to get some more buckets for other things

Strawberries do that. Youngest bought herself a wild strawberry plant last year and we put it in the ground under the elderberries. One little plant has gone NUTS... it probably takes up almost 5 feet by 2 feet of bed space. thank god its somewhere nothing else goes. (and never put mint in the ground unless you want all mint and nothing else)

I have done the potato cage thing before and they work ok. we generally use the potato bags and like blue 18 gallon recycling totes I hill as it grows so it seems to work okay. Good luck on the potatoes and let us know how yours goes.