"For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again". Proverbs 24:16

I may not be very religious, but that passage speaks to me. Seven falls. Seven respawns.

When I started the Nerd Fitness™ journey, I weighed around 275 lbs, and was already eating relatively well. The I went into a deep depressive episode that lasted for weeks. When I finally came out of it, I was 308 lbs., and my food choices were those of a man looking forward to his 1st heart attack.  I have started walking up and down my staircase for 14 minutes a day, but I'm not consistent.

I need help, fellow nerds. I need to be accountable to someone.

Please. Help me up for the eighth time?

• Like 1

Truth, justice, &...TIGHTS!

*flies in heroically*

How may I be of service? :)

More seriously, let's break this down a bit. There is nothing wrong with failing seven times, or twenty, or thirty, or a hundred. However, for the sake of your mental sanity, you have to figure out what caused you to fail and what you can do about it.

So, what caused you to fail seven times.

You also mentioned depression - is that a recurring thing? Are you getting help/treatment for it?

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

@arcelas, thank you for your honesty! I know the feeling of making progress with our goals (especially weight loss), then doing something stupid and fucking up again and feeling really down on ourselves. I want to recommend something that has been really instrumental for me in my weight loss journey. I tell you this as someone who is SO far from his goals and will often beat himself up for fucking up, but huge success is made up of tiny successes, and I am having more tiny ones as the days go by. So, here's my recommendation: practice self-compassion. This may sound weird or hokey, but carry around a notebook or use a note-taking app in your phone, and when you fuck up, write to yourself the way you would a friend. Be kind to yourself. 

Our relationship to food is defined by our habits, and the only way we can become aware of our habits is to become aware of what triggers us. And when we screw up, we don't beat ourselves up, but instead acknowledge our fall, then get up and keep going (like you're already doing.) Let me know if I can be of any help! 

On 2/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, Miw_Sher said:

*flies in heroically*

How may I be of service? :)

More seriously, let's break this down a bit. There is nothing wrong with failing seven times, or twenty, or thirty, or a hundred. However, for the sake of your mental sanity, you have to figure out what caused you to fail and what you can do about it.

So, what caused you to fail seven times.

You also mentioned depression - is that a recurring thing? Are you getting help/treatment for it?

I'm Bipolar/Manic Depressive with PTSD. Yes I am receiving treatment and have been for years. Some days are better than others. I firmly believe in the symbiotic nature of body and mind/soul. If I can get my pysical health to an acceptable level I believe I will be better equipped to handle the highs and lows my mind throws at me. 

On a recent note, I did well this week. No soda (big deal for me), took a daily walk outside, ate mostly paleo-based diet, and got good rest, on a workable schedule. I am looking forward to this coming week, and ready for its challenges. Lets get to level 2!

• Like 1

Truth, justice, &...TIGHTS!

5 hours ago, arcelas said:

I'm Bipolar/Manic Depressive with PTSD. Yes I am receiving treatment and have been for years. Some days are better than others. I firmly believe in the symbiotic nature of body and mind/soul. If I can get my pysical health to an acceptable level I believe I will be better equipped to handle the highs and lows my mind throws at me. 

On a recent note, I did well this week. No soda (big deal for me), took a daily walk outside, ate mostly paleo-based diet, and got good rest, on a workable schedule. I am looking forward to this coming week, and ready for its challenges. Lets get to level 2!

That sounds like a shitty combination. For what it's worth, exercising has been a key factor in helping me deal with depression issues. It never completely goes away of course, but it does help.

Congratulations on your week! Do you have a battle log where you could post Daily and where we could follow you along and cheer you on? If not, I recommend making one. You can also consider making a challenge thread but I also understand if you want to ease into it more slowly. Still you are more than welcome to check in the different Rebel challenge threads - there are plenty of people there struggling with their own mental issues and supporting each other. :) It's been very motivating thus far.

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)