• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AriatikStarr

4 week challenge, I guess, maybe (sure)

I have no idea what I'm doing here and I'm sure I'll mess this up but 4 weeks happens to be the length of each of my training cycles AND my current cycle started this week. My lifts have been getting stronger pretty consistently over the last several months, so I want my fitness focus to be more on recovery. Really I've been working on all of these gradually for a month or so now, but I would like to be more consistent on all of them.

1. 30-45 minutes of cardio 3x per week - winter is usually my most active season for mountain biking but it's been rainy instead of snowy so I'm seriously lacking in the cardiovascular activity (except for those 8-10 rep ranges, am I right?)

2. Full stretch sequence after each workout

3. Prep meals for each day and actually eat them (that sounds silly, I know...) 

And for a life goal, I'm moving in a few months and have accumulated a lot of stuff over the last 7 years. About a month ago I got rid of several garbage bags, but ultimately I do not want to move anything stupid. I'll probably have to do this once or twice a week as opposed to one giant purge session.

1. Go through everything I own and get rid of as much as possible.

• Like 1

1 week update:

meal prep: mostly successful. I at least ate all of the meals. I had a few social evenings that are atypical and I ate appetizers / meals / snacks, plus pizza for my boyfriend's birthday (which I had planned on anyway). I work from home so keeping some level of social life when available is also important. Meals were prepped today for the upcoming week.

cardio & stretching, all complete. Half an hour on the stair climber 3x. 98/102/114 "floors climbed" - my squats and deadlifts both had good days (minus losing count on deadlifts and repeating the set). Bench got the minimum required reps. 

Havent started going through all of my stuff yet. 

• Like 1

Week 2 (a few days late):

meal prep: I found myself without much appetite last week. Still actually working through the meals I made last Monday. Definitely progress in not ordering take-out, however (although I did buy other gas station / grocery store junk once or twice).

cardio: I only did stairs 2x (and the second time was a big struggle, had to split it up into 4 increments) but I probably walked 10 miles from Wednesday through Friday. 

Stretching: only did twice. Ran out of time after my lifts Thursday and forgot on Friday.

stuff purge: still no progress

last week my lifts were so-so. The previous week, I overdid it on deadlifts and took forever to recover. My squat session was great, but I did the minimum required by this Wendler's block for bench & deadlift. All of the above fitness goals are to help my lifts so I think it's relevant to note any progress here (or lack thereof)

19 hours ago, AriatikStarr said:

cardio: I only did stairs 2x (and the second time was a big struggle, had to split it up into 4 increments) but I probably walked 10 miles from Wednesday through Friday. 

But you did it! It's totally legit to take breaks. Stairs ain't no joke. 

19 hours ago, AriatikStarr said:

last week my lifts were so-so. The previous week, I overdid it on deadlifts and took forever to recover. My squat session was great, but I did the minimum required by this Wendler's block for bench & deadlift. All of the above fitness goals are to help my lifts so I think it's relevant to note any progress here (or lack thereof)

Progress is progress.

Great squats!

great_scott-s400x341-252428.png 

Week 3:

meal prep: steady, not 100% 

stretching: once immediately after my workout, twice on non-lifting days

cardio: twice on stairs, once split between stairs & erg

house purge: done. Still waiting on people to take it all though. 

Lifting: generally recovered pretty well (which again, was the main goal of meal prep & stretching). Hit a good PR on my squat (did 5 reps at my previous 1RM). Bench and deadlift were close, but no cigar. Next cycle...

• Like 2

I apparently typed this out Sunday and didn't finish it, so here goes.

This week I ran on Monday, stretched out on Tuesday and then felt terrible (like a silent migraine) Wednesday & Thursday. Had other obligations every day, also (Monday's run was actually commuting to feed cats). 

Basically what I'm saying here is that I have a 33% compliance for cardio, technically 100% for stretching if it's 1 session per workout, and probably 30-50% for meal prep. 

4 week summary: definitely an overall improvement on eating meal prep, even if I backslid the final week. Cardio goal was easier than expected (thanks to a gym friend also trying to up her cardio game).

cardio total: 83% 

stretching total: 75%

meal prep total: well I ate them all, but probably like 75%?

Purge: 100% even though I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to goodwill. Lazily. 

Considering those first three were basically starting from 0-10% compliance, I'm ok with seeing solid improvement even if I didn't nail them 100%