Stay at Home Mom

Fellow Rebel Parents!

so I'm a stay-at-home mom for the most part to our almost 3year old. My fiancé is in med school, so he's super busy between school and studying and all that. I do pretty well most days, but as all parents with toddlers know, this is definitely mentally exhausting, especially when your toddler is at the stage where they WONT STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.

but I digress..

Anyway I was just wondering if there's any other stay at home parents out there, how you manage it all (I swear all I do is laundry and cook and wash dishes). And eventually about once a week I totally binge on cookies and granola bars to make myself feel better.

• Like 2

Hey mmead,

I'm a stay at home mum, too. I feel your pain. My hubby works shift work, so he's either gone to work at 430am or he won't be home until past 1030pm... or he's sleeping or vegging out in front of the PC to cope with the stress of it all...

It's not med school, surely, but yeah I'm right there with you.

3yo is a good age though, mine are 13 and 6 and there is fun days. Like the day we were enrolli g the little one in school and he was balancing on top of a small wall and I was offering my hand for support and he turned away from me when he had to cough and when I asked he explained how he didn't want me to get sick too. Or when the older one after years of bad handwriting and dyslexia brought home a test he had written in (his native tongue) German, which was entirely readable and a B+. And how proud we all were about his efforts bearing fruit like that.

But there's the other days too, when they keep each other awake and keep playing the Get Back Up Game with me until hubby gets home (2235) or the days (when hubby is home) when I just go to bed after dinner and am asleep long before they are.

There's good and bad in it all.

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

• Like 1

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

I'm a mostly stay at home mom. I work only on the weekends and my job is flexible enough that I can take off whenever I need. My hobbits are 9,8,7,2, and 6 months. I'm homeschooling the older three this year. Yes, I'm busy, but I've learned to streamline projects and recruit help for chores. The laundry though. It never ends.

I really have to make sure I take a few minutes for myself everyday. I can always find 15-20 minutes for a quick workout or a dance session. I also have a mental checklist of the chores I like to have finished so I know when its ok to call it a day even if everything isn't perfect.

• Like 1

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome

This is going to sound counter-intuitive since you already feel overwhelmed, but find time to go outside with your toddler. Every day if you can manage it.

If you have a back yard let him go play in the dirt and kick a ball and pull up the grass.

Go for a walk around the block, but go at his pace. Allow him to look and explore as much as is possible and safe.

He will burn more energy while running around outside, will experience new sights and sounds which both expands and tires out his brain, and it gives you a chance to forget about the laundry and dishes that are never going to be finished anyway and just focus on your child.

Toddlerhood is an amazing stage and my favorite, enjoy it.

• Like 3

Viking Warrior

LEVEL 2 | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 1

On 2/15/2017 at 9:17 AM, Trixie Falsae said:

I'm a mostly stay at home mom. I work only on the weekends and my job is flexible enough that I can take off whenever I need. My hobbits are 9,8,7,2, and 6 months. I'm homeschooling the older three this year. Yes, I'm busy, but I've learned to streamline projects and recruit help for chores. The laundry though. It never ends.

I really have to make sure I take a few minutes for myself everyday. I can always find 15-20 minutes for a quick workout or a dance session. I also have a mental checklist of the chores I like to have finished so I know when its ok to call it a day even if everything isn't perfect.

I LOVE the idea of having set chores for the day. Like today I'll do laundry and vacuum, and then work on something else tomorrow. I'm getting much better at just accepting the house will not always be clean, theres always going to be some toys around. 

On 2/22/2017 at 2:29 PM, DaBlonde said:

This is going to sound counter-intuitive since you already feel overwhelmed, but find time to go outside with your toddler. Every day if you can manage it.

If you have a back yard let him go play in the dirt and kick a ball and pull up the grass.

Go for a walk around the block, but go at his pace. Allow him to look and explore as much as is possible and safe.

He will burn more energy while running around outside, will experience new sights and sounds which both expands and tires out his brain, and it gives you a chance to forget about the laundry and dishes that are never going to be finished anyway and just focus on your child.

Toddlerhood is an amazing stage and my favorite, enjoy it.

Yes we do make time to get outside almost every day! My fiancee and i grew up in the woods of South Jersey, so we LOVE being outdoors, and I'm so glad our son loves it too! That definitely does help. I will admit, theres some days I just don't feel like taking my son to the park, but once we get there, I'm always glad I did. 

On 3/19/2017 at 8:49 AM, Ann444 said:

I have read your post and understood that I have nothing to complain about :adoration: I'm also a stay at home mom, I have a son, he is 1,8 year old. My husband works a lot and comes home late at night. I do all homework by myself and look after the child. But you have 5 children and still cope with everything by yourself! I'm your fan from now :adoration: I'm very inspired by your post, and now I think that I have a lot of free time))))

Honestly, the first one is the hardest (at least it was for me). Going from none to one is overwhelming since you are still figuring out what to do. Whether you have one of ten it gets overwhelming and difficult. Just be easy on yourself. We're all in this together!

• Like 1

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome