Talos Crawls From the Grave

Talos

q0s3Ngg.jpg

I'm back.

So, the last five months or so weren't pretty. Long story short, got a year-long internship that I thought would be great and turned out to be hellish, had a bout with several months of serious depression/anxiety (a new and not-at-all fun experience for me), turned into a hermit, watched my health and fitness crash and burn. Great times.

But, slowly, I've been recovering, thanks in part to the support of some good friends (h/t to @Treva and co.), and this month I've been on the upswing.

Still, I really need to repair the damage that was done by the psychological paralysis and inactivity - my runs, strength, and flexibility all suffered a lot, and my appetite probably dropped by about 40% or so. Therefore, this challenge is simply a respawn: to get back on track with health, workouts, and general quality of life. No enormous challenges this time around - I'm just focusing on the respawn, and I'll be happy to do that in the company of fellow Rebels.

Thus, the goals:

Stretch 10 minutes per day

- I'm super stiff right now from how little I was able to workout beyond some basic running and occasional hikes, and any time I try to do much else athletics-wise, it's painful. So stretching and mobility work needs to be a bigger part of my routine than it was. (Ideas and resources welcomed!)

Make it to the gym twice a week

- Not a huge goal, but I basically failed completely at getting any strength training in from November to January. I need to make it a habit again and break through the mental barriers keeping me away.

Sleep! Get in bed by 11:00

- My sleep routine got pretty screwy for a while. Lately I've been doing better about this, but I need to make it a priority to manage my time and get to bed by 11:00 at the latest. My early mornings are always good for personal development and reading time.

Extraordinary Barding: Pick up my guitar at least daily

- I was once again reminded that one of the hobbies I'd most enjoy improving is my musical ability - guitar in particular, and hopefully mandolin in the future. This needs to be more intentional if I'm going to make progress.

BONUS: Extra barding achievements (TBD) if I record a video of myself playing any songs.

8vJZ27T.jpg

Oh, and if any of you have good stories or tips from recovering after something similar, I'd love to hear 'em. Again, this is a new challenge for me.

Thanks for all the support so far!

• Like 7

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

I'm so glad you're back! Welcome back! Let us know how we can help.

giphy.gif

I have recovered from depression and anxiety, but let me think a bit on what strategies I have for repairing the damage. Mostly I think it involves forgiving myself and moving forward, without thinking too much about the past and what I missed out or messed up on. 

• Like 2

bC9nt4I.gif

You know I got your back, dude.  Takes time, courage, persistence, and patience, all of which I know you have in spades. 

6 hours ago, Talos said:

Stretch 10 minutes per day

- I'm super stiff right now from how little I was able to workout beyond some basic running and occasional hikes, and any time I try to do much else athletics-wise, it's painful. So stretching and mobility work needs to be a bigger part of my routine than it was. (Ideas and resources welcomed!)

YOGA!!!  The nice thing about it is that you only do what's comfortable for you, and wherever you are, that is an okay place to be.  You know how to find me.

tumblr_obcq4dpLkT1uusboho1_500.gif

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

7 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Welcome back and following!

6 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I'm so glad you're back! Welcome back! Let us know how we can help.

I have recovered from depression and anxiety, but let me think a bit on what strategies I have for repairing the damage. Mostly I think it involves forgiving myself and moving forward, without thinking too much about the past and what I missed out or messed up on. 

1 hour ago, Treva said:

You know I got your back, dude.  Takes time, courage, persistence, and patience, all of which I know you have in spades. 

Awww. You guys are great. This is why I came back here.

Well, here goes.

No gym today, but I did get some stretching in, with lots of crunchy crackling sounds and groaning. Wasn't as bad as it could have been, though, and I feel better for it.

I'll see if I can get some guitar time in a few minutes, and a decently early bedtime. So far, so good.

zJyvUmq.png

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

11 hours ago, Talos said:

So, the last five months or so weren't pretty. Long story short, got a year-long internship that I thought would be great and turned out to be hellish, had a bout with several months of serious depression/anxiety (a new and not-at-all fun experience for me), turned into a hermit, watched my health and fitness crash and burn. Great times.

I am in the same depression/anxiety situation-of-a-boat. 

Honestly I am in the thick of it and will be following your story for inspiration to crawl out of my own. 

Good luck from one hermit to another!

Ah, depression. Long history of it in our family. My grandmother, mother, myself, and one of my daughters. May I suggest the following book if you haven't seen it: Get It Done When You're Depressed by Julie Fast and Dr. John Preston. It has literally been a life-saver for my daughter and myself and many of my former clients. Julie writes about 50 or so things that you can do to help you get to the next hour, if not the next day. Dr. Preston writes a brief explanation why something may be difficult, i.e. muddled thinking. You can jump around in the book to read whatever sections you need at the time. Our copies are highlighted, tabbed, dog-eared, food-stained and cried over. I cannot say too many good things about this book.

Cheers

White Cedar

If you cannot see the light of day, I will sit with you in the dark.  

• Like 4

Again, thank you everyone for the support - it means a lot.

17 hours ago, Arise_Autumn said:

I am in the same depression/anxiety situation-of-a-boat. 

Honestly I am in the thick of it and will be following your story for inspiration to crawl out of my own. 

:(

Buzz me if I can be of assistance in some way - especially now, I wouldn't want to let anyone go through that alone.

7 hours ago, White Cedar said:

Ah, depression. Long history of it in our family. My grandmother, mother, myself, and one of my daughters. May I suggest the following book if you haven't seen it: Get It Done When You're Depressed by Julie Fast and Dr. John Preston. It has literally been a life-saver for my daughter and myself and many of my former clients. 

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out! I'm happy to say I'm recovering enough that I'm approaching normal functionality again for the first time in some months, but I'll keep it in mind if things get rough.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Welcome back! Sorry it's been a shit time. :( Most of my experience is with the having of anxiety, not so much the effectively dealing with it, but I'm rooting for you. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Update time:

So far this week is still a bit of a roller coaster. Yesterday was, for the most part, quite successful - not only did I get up early and get plenty of rest (and reading time), I even managed to work up the motivation and courage to drag myself to the gym in the afternoon. It turned out to be a decent lifting session, even if I'm still a bit weak and creaky. I got my stretching session in, too.

On the other hand, the evening fell apart a bit. I had a talk to give in the evening, which went well, but then I got home and had to jump into prep for another short talk this morning. Trying to take a break turned into more of an exhausted hour of procrastination, which led to even slower writing, and, well... didn't make it to sleep until 1:00am.

So I'm dragging a bit today, even if my big obligations got done. Sadly, no guitar time either.

Mind games are still the hard part in all of this. Getting out to the gym took almost as much mental effort as when I was first starting out, partly because I have it in my mind that it's going to be a rough and somewhat shameful experience coming back to the weights after all of this. Ditto for life in general; it's easy to get down about my ability to manage my day when I've missed some goals.

• Like 5

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Update to the Update:

As if life wasn't weird enough, I got a tax service security alert that someone might be trying to steal my identity. One hour of telephone-hopping later, turns out someone just accidentally used my SSN on a form. So I've got that going for me.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

At least it was an accident! Still annoying though. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 16/02/2017 at 4:09 PM, White Cedar said:

Ah, depression. Long history of it in our family. My grandmother, mother, myself, and one of my daughters. May I suggest the following book if you haven't seen it: Get It Done When You're Depressed by Julie Fast and Dr. John Preston. It has literally been a life-saver for my daughter and myself and many of my former clients. Julie writes about 50 or so things that you can do to help you get to the next hour, if not the next day. Dr. Preston writes a brief explanation why something may be difficult, i.e. muddled thinking. You can jump around in the book to read whatever sections you need at the time. Our copies are highlighted, tabbed, dog-eared, food-stained and cried over. I cannot say too many good things about this book.

I have seen this somewhere before... Any chance it was a Ted Talk or something?

2 hours ago, Talos said:

So far this week is still a bit of a roller coaster. Yesterday was, for the most part, quite successful - not only did I get up early and get plenty of rest (and reading time), I even

Mind games are still the hard part in all of this. Getting out to the gym took almost as much mental effort as when I was first starting out, partly because I have it in my mind that it's going to be a rough and somewhat shameful experience coming back to the weights after all of this. Ditto for life in general; it's easy to get down about my ability to manage my day when I've missed some goals.

:/ Boooo! Mind games!

Congrats on making through it though!

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Another gnarly day. Got a fair bit of work done in the afternoon despite being a bit low on sleep, and had a fun guitar practice. One of the weird things about my internship is that it involves following my supervisor to a lot of dinner parties - one last night turned into a six-hour physical ordeal. You'd think it'd be fun to be wined and dined by folks with a lot of money to throw around, but after a while it gets pretty old... I think my supervisor loves them, though; he brought a sack of unusual liquors to have everyone sample. In short, that was my evening gone.

Also, a pro-tip: 160-proof Austrian rum is not your friend.

Woke up this morning feeling weird from the previous night AND sick with a sore throat. I dragged myself out to do some errands, but I've mostly been hiding in bed today. Currently I'm drinking tea in quarantine and trying not to infect people. I'd thought to maybe make it out to the gym again today, but that seems like a bad idea when I'm diseased.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

23 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Glad to see you hanging in there, even if it's not exactly ideal circumstances right now.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:59 PM, Miw_Sher said:

I have seen this somewhere before... Any chance it was a Ted Talk or something?

:/ Boooo! Mind games!

Congrats on making through it though!

Thanks! It's kind of like the psychological equivalent of running an obstacle race - you never know what's gonna hit you next. (I guess obstacle races are mind games in their own way too?)

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Ugh. End of the day and I'm still pretty behind on stuff I need to get done, and still about as sick as I was. 

Y'all got anything motivational to help push through the next few hours?

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

On 18/02/2017 at 9:24 PM, Talos said:

Also, a pro-tip: 160-proof Austrian rum is not your friend.

Was that STROH by any chance?

Just take it one step at a time. Think of your day like doing push-ups, and every small task is another rep. Keep going until you cannot anymore. Then take a break. Then keep going some more.

• Like 3

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Hey squad! Yesterday, thank goodness, was a day off, so I had a lot more time to recover and get myself back on track. Things are looking brighter at the moment.

The rest of the weekend, briefly in review: Sunday I was still a bit under the weather but not nearly as sick as before (just a sore throat, really) and was able to push through my work responsibilities and appointments. Made it home, slept a lot, didn't do much else. Yesterday I was pretty much back to normal, so I got out hiking with family - a nice 6-mile trail around a lake in a nearby state park. Gorgeous weather, and a big mood-booster!

CwPr8e1.jpg

Looking back, this was definitely one of the bumpier starts I've had to a challenge. I started the week a couple days late, so I didn't get the full set of workouts in (especially with being sick), but I had probably a 2/3rd success rate with everything - didn't get a full nights' sleep on the weekend, missed a couple days of stretching and guitar.

However, most of that is compared to what I was doing several weeks ago, which was NOTHING - so I'm seeing some positive effects anyway. Right now, I'm feeling a bit less stiff and funky... and I can play "House of the Rising Sun" now, so I've got that going for me.

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

On 2/19/2017 at 0:57 PM, Cataleya said:

giphy.gif 

:D:D:D

On 2/20/2017 at 6:59 AM, Miw_Sher said:

Was that STROH by any chance?

Sure was. What do you even do with that stuff? It seems to fall in that uncomfortable middle ground between beverage and cleaning solvent.

2 hours ago, taymonsta said:

Hey Talos! Welcome back! :) 

I'm sorry to hear things are stressful and a bit rough :( Just take small steps and don't overwhelm yourself. You can do it! :) 

Thank you so much. It's a two-steps-forward-one-step-back dynamic right now, but life is improving!

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge