Almost 50lbs Lost in 5 months. 25lbs to go!

Hello world! 

My name is Kevin, and I'm addicted to eating poorly on my couch while I watch TV. (***chorus of "Hello Kevin"***)

My weight loss journey began 3 years ago when I was 25. Growing up, I was a super active and healthy kid. I played basketball, and ran cross country, and basically ate whatever I wanted. I remember my brother and I eating entire boxes of fruit roll ups in an afternoon, one after another. I was so active though, I never was overweight at all. But then college hit, and after college a job, my activity level dropped to near zero, and my weight skyrocketed. I went from being 175lbs when I graduated high school to 265 when I was 25. One day I was dancing with some of my friends on vacation, and this guy at the bar told me I moved pretty well... for a big guy. That was the first time in my life I realized that hey, I was a big guy. It really cut me, you know the feeling?

So I went on nerd fitness, and did all the research, joined a gym and started eating right. I got down to under 200lbs for one day in January of 2015. And then slowly but surely, bad habits creeped back in, and over the next few years my weight slowly went up and up until I weighed MORE than I did when I started! 

In April of 2016 I met this girl, Kayla. Long story short, I just asked her to be my wife! And she said yes! And Kayla wanted to go on these hikes, and get out and be active, and I just couldn't keep up. My high school self, who could run 10 miles and not think too much about it, had withered to the point that I was breathing heavy 1/4 mile down the trail. I couldn't believe it, and in October I stepped on the scale for the first time in years. 275lbs! I was disheartened by the number, so discouraged. But I dragged myself back up by the bootstraps and got back to work. 

I immediately started eating right, and started walking everywhere I could. And I saw the scale continuously move down! It was hard during the holidays, when no-one understands why I don't want that piece of pie, and why I pass on the Christmas cookies. But it's been worth it. Right now, I weigh 228lbs and feel great! I recently started incorporating lifting weights three times a week, and the results have been amazing, both on the scale, and on the way I look and feel. My initial goal is to get back under 200lbs, and then I might try to add some more muscle mass, or pick up rock climbing, or go hike up a mountain. Who knows? But I'm hoping to be there by the end of May! 

If anyone is interested in more details about my diet or what I'm doing to lose the weight, just let me know and I can break it down further. Oh, and if you're interested in pictures, I can post some too. And if anyone has any ideas they've used to help keep the weight off, I'd be grateful. I am concerned I'll go back down the rabbit hole. My current plan is once I reach my goal, to set another fitness goal to work towards to keep me active, as well as make the veggies I'm eating part of my diet going forward. 

Wish me luck, you beautiful nerds! And thanks to everyone who is part of this wonderful community! You guys are awesome!

-Kevin

• Like 1

Hell yes man!  You've made some incredible progress so far and a huge congrats on the marriage!  Keep up the good work and I look forward to following your progress on the challenges.

Welcome to the Rebellion.

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf