• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChirpyBird

Help - Cravings!

7 posts in this topic

Had to run to Walgreens for work and passed by a ton of chips and got a HUGE craving. This is my first week of the Paleo diet and I've been doing good up until now. Help! I hate dried fruit...is there anything else I can eat that will satisfy my craving for potato chips? Thanks!

What part are you craving?  The salt?  The crunch?

One of the side effects of paleo is that many people reduce their sodium levels which can be good, to an extent, but it also leads to cravings for salty foods.  Dried fruit won't scratch that itch (esp. if you hate it), but you could try nuts (in moderation; and avoid peanuts which are actually a fatty legume).  I also have friends who swear by dried seaweed.   It's not for everyone but has some good nutritional benefits. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

What part are you craving?  The salt?  The crunch?

One of the side effects of paleo is that many people reduce their sodium levels which can be good, to an extent, but it also leads to cravings for salty foods.  Dried fruit won't scratch that itch (esp. if you hate it), but you could try nuts (in moderation; and avoid peanuts which are actually a fatty legume).  I also have friends who swear by dried seaweed.   It's not for everyone but has some good nutritional benefits. 

It's the flavor I crave, I think. Or maybe it's the salt making me crave that? Not sure, but you're right about how fruit won't help. I have had dried seaweed and love it. I'll pick that up again, forgot about it. Thank you!

1 person likes this

Hopefully it helps? *shrug*  I am a longtime foodie with a penchant for some of the worst kinds of food for me...  Have you tried root chips?  I know some brands also make chips out of turnips etc. that aren't too bad.  

The hard thing with 'substitutes' in paleo is that in creating a substitute that fits the broader definition of paleo, sometimes the health benefits are lost.  You'll find there is a lot of debate out there about things like "paleo cupcakes" or "paleo doughnuts."  My wife and I try to take a step back and look at what we're avoiding...is it the carbohydrate/sugar content?  gluten? inflammatory triggers?  In doing that we can decide what substitutes we're comfortable eating in moderation and which ones we'd just as soon avoid.

1 person likes this

You can make your own sweet potato chips. Just slice 'em thin, salt, and bake on an olive-oiled sheet at 425ish degrees for about 20 min, flipping halfway through. 

Temp and time are very approximate and depend on the thickness of the chips, so watch them closely or they'll be burnt and gross.

1 person likes this

Agreeing with the above about alternatives. Try and stick it out for a month without them. That will help you build new tastes. Then, if you really crave them, buy a single serving bag and have some. I've found that giving myself permission to occasionally have treats is better than saying never. There are some chips that are fried in better oil, and you can find sweet potato or other root chips. Even with  healthy chips I stick to one serving size. 

1 person likes this