• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChirpyBird

Help - Cravings!

Had to run to Walgreens for work and passed by a ton of chips and got a HUGE craving. This is my first week of the Paleo diet and I've been doing good up until now. Help! I hate dried fruit...is there anything else I can eat that will satisfy my craving for potato chips? Thanks!

Mr.Six   

What part are you craving?  The salt?  The crunch?

One of the side effects of paleo is that many people reduce their sodium levels which can be good, to an extent, but it also leads to cravings for salty foods.  Dried fruit won't scratch that itch (esp. if you hate it), but you could try nuts (in moderation; and avoid peanuts which are actually a fatty legume).  I also have friends who swear by dried seaweed.   It's not for everyone but has some good nutritional benefits. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

What part are you craving?  The salt?  The crunch?

One of the side effects of paleo is that many people reduce their sodium levels which can be good, to an extent, but it also leads to cravings for salty foods.  Dried fruit won't scratch that itch (esp. if you hate it), but you could try nuts (in moderation; and avoid peanuts which are actually a fatty legume).  I also have friends who swear by dried seaweed.   It's not for everyone but has some good nutritional benefits. 

It's the flavor I crave, I think. Or maybe it's the salt making me crave that? Not sure, but you're right about how fruit won't help. I have had dried seaweed and love it. I'll pick that up again, forgot about it. Thank you!

• Like 1

Mr.Six   

Hopefully it helps? *shrug*  I am a longtime foodie with a penchant for some of the worst kinds of food for me...  Have you tried root chips?  I know some brands also make chips out of turnips etc. that aren't too bad.  

The hard thing with 'substitutes' in paleo is that in creating a substitute that fits the broader definition of paleo, sometimes the health benefits are lost.  You'll find there is a lot of debate out there about things like "paleo cupcakes" or "paleo doughnuts."  My wife and I try to take a step back and look at what we're avoiding...is it the carbohydrate/sugar content?  gluten? inflammatory triggers?  In doing that we can decide what substitutes we're comfortable eating in moderation and which ones we'd just as soon avoid.

• Like 1

You can make your own sweet potato chips. Just slice 'em thin, salt, and bake on an olive-oiled sheet at 425ish degrees for about 20 min, flipping halfway through. 

Temp and time are very approximate and depend on the thickness of the chips, so watch them closely or they'll be burnt and gross.

• Like 1

Agreeing with the above about alternatives. Try and stick it out for a month without them. That will help you build new tastes. Then, if you really crave them, buy a single serving bag and have some. I've found that giving myself permission to occasionally have treats is better than saying never. There are some chips that are fried in better oil, and you can find sweet potato or other root chips. Even with  healthy chips I stick to one serving size. 

• Like 1

Kimnaran   

When on paleo I found that I can just remove the carb/grain part of most of my cravings (or sometimes, substitute them). Like, garlic bread cravings can be sated with chicken cooked with garlic butter?

But for 4th day carb binge-urge/flu I usually just throw (lots of) hardboiled eggs at it. :apthy:

That’s awesome that you have decided to move forward on eating healthy! It’s expected that you will experience cravings. Don’t give up! Here are some suggestions on healthy snacks to deal with cravings.

1) Fruit-there are so many cool and creative recipes such as fresh fruit salads that you can use, plus they are so good! Another idea is making homemade dried fruit and/or fruit leathers.

2) Nuts and seeds-if you are craving chocolate, then you might be deficient in magnesium. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and almonds are all good sources of magnesium. Definitely give them a try if you don’t allergies to any of these seeds and nuts

3) Cruciferous vegetables-examples are cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, kale, kohlrabi, cauliflower, rutabaga, collard greens, turnip (root or greens), maca, and wasabi. If you are craving sweet stuff, you could be low on several nutrients such as sulfur. In this case, eating cruciferous vegetables is a good go-to. Plus these vegetables are awesome sources of Vitamin C and fiber.

4) Jerky-if you are craving toast or bread, you may be low on nitrogen. You can get nitrogen from high protein meats and fish. One fun way to make these high protein meats and fish as snacks is making jerky! You can make jerky by either using a dehydrator or oven. There’s tons of recipes out there for jerky!

5) Salads! And More Salads!-If you are craving soda, you may be low in calcium. You can get calcium from leafy greens, which are kale, spinach, watercress, broccoli, and turnip greens. Make a salad out of these leafy greens and top off with a homemade vinaigrette or ranch dressing.

6) Dried apricots-these are so good too! Plus, they are high in potassium. A half-cup of dried apricots provide approximately 22% of the daily recommended intake. You can make your own by dehyrating them or buying some that are sulfate--free.

Keep in mind when you are looking for paleo snacks to help fight cravings, pick snacks that are low in sugar and in carbs and difficult to eat in large quantities. You can sign up here to get more paleo recipe ideas.

I have read somewhere (I think from Ben Green...?) that when your having a craving to have something fermented (a glass of kombucha, sauerkraut, or pickles, etc). I do this and my cravings are vanished.

also in the whole30, it says cravings last 3-8 minutes (I could be wrong with the time but it's something like that) but to just find something to do. 

Hope this helps

Torch   

I get this, I have cravings irregularly for various unhealthy snack type foods as well. Only two things I found that really help is 1) Sticking it out and/or 2) Pre-prepping healthy stuff that will satisfy them. I find that if the choice is between getting the snack or making something similar but healthy from scratch those snacks look better than all that effort.

Specifically for potato chip cravings, small portion of home-made starchy carbs (e.g sweet potato fries) with Feta/Haloumi cheese or bacon do it for me, along with good sized salad. If you're avoiding dairy might have to be something else.