• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MikeWazowski

Mike Wazowski: Eating right (or at least better)

Hey y'all!

Delinquent on posting a challenge thread, but not on tracking a challenge (picked out goals day 1 of zero week, made a janky journal tracker, and...didn't update.

This challenge week 4 happens to fall on the week of US Ballroom Dance nationals, where I'm competing, so I won't be ramping up fitness too much and instead focusing on training and eating like I need to for the big event.

giphy.gif

...Decidedly not my pre-competition nutrition plan

Here's the goals this time around:

1) Maintain successes from last challenge:

• Go to mass every week
  • Do financial stuff every week (budget tracker, money shuffling, paying off all CC balances) - this is a bit extreme (paying cc's weekly) but has been the best approach to stave off daily money anxiety for me
  • Lift 3x per week, Pilates 3x per week - I fell off the Pilates wagon towards the end, but I need it to counterbalance the spine stiffness / tightness that comes from my strength training
  • Dance solo 3x per week - every weekend is with the partner, so this needs to be three nights in Mon - Thurs

2) Clean up my nutrition / eating: 

• Follow a basic nutrition plan every day - this means eating veggies and lean proteins for every meal and not eating peanut butter straight from the jar, no matter how tasty it is
  • No emotional eating (or getting emotional about what I just ate) - I have a pretty broken relationship with food - I eat to soothe emotions and also get really emotional when I feel like my eating is "out of control" - my goal is to recognize that neither of those behaviors is rational in the moment and substitute a more appropriate behavioral / emotional response (lofty ambition)

This pair is really tough for me, there was a 5-day stretch already where I failed on both...

3) Self Care:

• Sleep 7+ hours every night
  • Pray daily

...self-explanatory.

4) Step up my work game:

• Limit personal stuff to no more than 30 mins / day
  • Make a to-do list daily and prioritize it to focus on the highest value stuff

I've been less-than-stellar at work lately, although apparently still good enough to be an "associate of the month" for my department (apparently I'm good at faking it). I'm gunning for a promotion at the mid-year point, and these two are the first of many actionable steps to help me get there.

5) Educate myself

• Read "10-minute toughness" (short-ish book with practical steps for athletes and business people to be mentally tougher / more resilient)
  • Go through the first course on Swirl to learn R (data analysis tool)

Both of these support my work success, I'm expecting the first to also help in my dancing - mental / emotional toughness is a consistent weak point for me across both.

I wanted to pepper more gifs in here, but I apparently hit the max total size with my first one. Still infinitely more than my last challenge, so progress?

Image of bujo-style tracker coming soon - it's not very aesthetically pleasing, so don't get your hopes up @RedStone.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

This challenge week 4 happens to fall on the week of US Ballroom Dance nationals, where I'm competing, so I won't be ramping up fitness too much and instead focusing on training and eating like I need to for the big event.

My mom is here and she does ballroom dancing... she wants to know if you're pro, and where do you dance?

(Sorry, she wouldn't shut up until I asked...)

giphy.gif

Patrick is my spirit star. I have a life goal to keep a fish tank full of starfish and name them all Patrick.

2) Clean up my nutrition / eating: 

• Follow a basic nutrition plan every day - this means eating veggies and lean proteins for every meal and not eating peanut butter straight from the jar, no matter how tasty it is
  • No emotional eating (or getting emotional about what I just ate) - I have a pretty broken relationship with food - I eat to soothe emotions and also get really emotional when I feel like my eating is "out of control" - my goal is to recognize that neither of those behaviors is rational in the moment and substitute a more appropriate behavioral / emotional response (lofty ambition)

This pair is really tough for me, there was a 5-day stretch already where I failed on both...

I super get this, especially the emotional eating. Meal planning has helped me a lot to take the stress out of the "moment of" and I also find that, even when I'm not tracking, plating and measuring out portions helps give me a mindful moment before digging in to a bag of X or a jar of Y (chips and nutella respectively for me :P) and helps me from over doing, stressing out, or feeling guilty. Any game plans for what you might do? 

Image of bujo-style tracker coming soon - it's not very aesthetically pleasing, so don't get your hopes up @RedStone.

Too late! EXPECTATIONS ARE AT SPECTACULARLY HIGH LEVELS!!! (Seriously, I just love charts of all kinds, and also handwriting. LOVE handwriting! It's awesome and I can't wait to see!!! :D)

We3xN8e.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RedStone said:

My mom is here and she does ballroom dancing... she wants to know if you're pro, and where do you dance?

(Sorry, she wouldn't shut up until I asked...)

No need to apologize!! I love talking about dance. Not a pro, but a highly competitive amateur, so we're in a weird gray area - I'd call my partner and I semi-pro. She's based out of Houston, I'm in Dallas, but we end up competing all over the country (Salt Lake, NYC, and Baton Rouge in the past year).

Patrick is my spirit star. I have a life goal to keep a fish tank full of starfish and name them all Patrick.

Love it! I relate to Squidward the most, but I think that's just because I prematurely became a crotchety old man at the age of 10 (give or take).

I super get this, especially the emotional eating. Meal planning has helped me a lot to take the stress out of the "moment of" and I also find that, even when I'm not tracking, plating and measuring out portions helps give me a mindful moment before digging in to a bag of X or a jar of Y (chips and nutella respectively for me :P) and helps me from over doing, stressing out, or feeling guilty. Any game plans for what you might do? 

Definitely meal planning, which I already do (and actually do intensely, I end up batching and freezing 3-4 weeks of food at a crack due to my travel schedule for dance, which is not my day job). I'm still torn whether I can have access to chips or candy in my home - I have a bad habit of not stopping once I start in evening snacking. I'm going to experiment by getting a large bag of peanut m&m's for my office desk and allowing myself small servings of those on work days.

Something that really derailed me recently was feeling shame when I indulged in sweets of any sort because I was aspiring to cut out sweets completely, and the shame prompted me to eat my feelings and have even more sweets - not a helpful cycle. So my gameplan here is to make it OK to enjoy something sweet (especially because I made good progress despite questionable habits the past couple months AND I know I'm active enough to get away with some empty calories in my diet) BUT also to remind myself of diminishing marginal utility when indulging (#econnerd).

Too late! EXPECTATIONS ARE AT SPECTACULARLY HIGH LEVELS!!! (Seriously, I just love charts of all kinds, and also handwriting. LOVE handwriting! It's awesome and I can't wait to see!!! :D)

We3xN8e.gif

Oh god, after seeing your challenge and the beautifully laid out pages, I'm a bit ashamed to share, but here goes...

FullSizeRender.jpg.0c450112931122051bb0f431e1fd5b97.jpg

I'm using blue for success, red for a miss - the end result reminds me of the rank badges imperial officers wear in Star Wars, which was quite unintentional but I appreciate it. I don't do a lot for aesthetics in my journal, but I like having a place to collect thoughts, store to-dos, etc.

11 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Go through the first course on Swirl to learn R (data analysis tool)

SWIRL! What is it you want to learn R for?

No need to apologize!! I love talking about dance. Not a pro, but a highly competitive amateur, so we're in a weird gray area - I'd call my partner and I semi-pro. She's based out of Houston, I'm in Dallas, but we end up competing all over the country (Salt Lake, NYC, and Baton Rouge in the past year).

There's an Austin-based nerd also competing at ballroom nationals.  I don't know that he's on the forums though, so that's the extent of my contribution!

I thought the competition was a few weeks later though? It's in MD, correct?

• Like 1

Mom's reaction, with impressed, higher than normal octave: Ooooh, good for them!"

Love it! I relate to Squidward the most, but I think that's just because I prematurely became a crotchety old man at the age of 10 (give or take).

HA! Like Mr Red! He's growing into his grumpy old manness more and more every day ;) 

Definitely meal planning, which I already do (and actually do intensely, I end up batching and freezing 3-4 weeks of food at a crack due to my travel schedule for dance, which is not my day job). I'm still torn whether I can have access to chips or candy in my home - I have a bad habit of not stopping once I start in evening snacking. I'm going to experiment by getting a large bag of peanut m&m's for my office desk and allowing myself small servings of those on work days.

Something that really derailed me recently was feeling shame when I indulged in sweets of any sort because I was aspiring to cut out sweets completely, and the shame prompted me to eat my feelings and have even more sweets - not a helpful cycle. So my gameplan here is to make it OK to enjoy something sweet (especially because I made good progress despite questionable habits the past couple months AND I know I'm active enough to get away with some empty calories in my diet) BUT also to remind myself of diminishing marginal utility when indulging (#econnerd).

omg dude totally! I literally have nightmares about sweets if I deny myself too long. When I was really cutting I would still have a sweet treat every so often, and I really really tried to make it something special. 

FullSizeRender.jpg.0c450112931122051bb0f431e1fd5b97.jpg

I'm using blue for success, red for a miss - the end result reminds me of the rank badges imperial officers wear in Star Wars, which was quite unintentional but I appreciate it. I don't do a lot for aesthetics in my journal, but I like having a place to collect thoughts, store to-dos, etc.

OOOOO Love!!!! Boxes are so freakin satisfying, and really, that's all it needs to be, a something that gets your head together. My background is in fine arts, so I find it super calming to spend an alarming amount of time setting things up, and even get a little sad when I'm done :P But in terms of down and dirty aesthetics, this is one of my favorite artists, so you know what I'm into anyways!

• Like 1

There is another nerd who went to camp who will be competing at ballroom nationals this year in the amateur division in a few different dances. Maybe you can find him by a discrete NF shirt or wristband or something :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

There is another nerd who went to camp who will be competing at ballroom nationals this year in the amateur division in a few different dances. Maybe you can find him by a discrete NF shirt or wristband or something :)

I think we're thinking of the same person :D

On 2/19/2017 at 9:05 AM, navis said:

SWIRL! What is it you want to learn R for?

There's an Austin-based nerd also competing at ballroom nationals.  I don't know that he's on the forums though, so that's the extent of my contribution!

I thought the competition was a few weeks later though? It's in MD, correct?

20 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

18 hours ago, navis said:

I think we're thinking of the same person :D

Woo for other ballroom dancing nerds! Although unfortunately...

1. There are actually two different national championships for amateur ballroom competitors - one in Provo, UT, in mid-March, and another in Baltimore, MD, in late-March / early April. They're run by two different organizing bodies (similar to USAPL and the other PL feds, I think).
  2. Partner and I are going to the UT one for sure, MD is a bit more up in the air - UT is more competitive in our categories, but we might do MD as well for the experience.

And on the SWIRL side - my company is starting to go into a very big-data-intensive direction (we're already pretty analytical for a bank) and I want to beef up my skillset - also possible that I'll angle for more of a data science-y career in the next 5ish years (possibly with a grad degree, though that's very up in the air).

4 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Woo for other ballroom dancing nerds! Although unfortunately...

1. There are actually two different national championships for amateur ballroom competitors - one in Provo, UT, in mid-March, and another in Baltimore, MD, in late-March / early April. They're run by two different organizing bodies (similar to USAPL and the other PL feds, I think).
  2. Partner and I are going to the UT one for sure, MD is a bit more up in the air - UT is more competitive in our categories, but we might do MD as well for the experience.

Aah ok.  The other nerd is going to MD.  Best of luck, in any case!

5 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

And on the SWIRL side - my company is starting to go into a very big-data-intensive direction (we're already pretty analytical for a bank) and I want to beef up my skillset - also possible that I'll angle for more of a data science-y career in the next 5ish years (possibly with a grad degree, though that's very up in the air).

Fun! Banks are great for analytics. I'm a data analyst myself, figuring out if crossing over to data science is at all possible (without going back to school that is).

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 9:42 AM, RedStone said:

Mom's reaction, with impressed, higher than normal octave: Ooooh, good for them!"

:star:

HA! Like Mr Red! He's growing into his grumpy old manness more and more every day ;) 

Haha I try to keep it at a constant level - but I've become quite secure in my old-ness (staying out past 11 is a late night for me these days).

omg dude totally! I literally have nightmares about sweets if I deny myself too long. When I was really cutting I would still have a sweet treat every so often, and I really really tried to make it something special. 

Oh yikes! I don't get nightmares, but I'll get grumpy / start obsessing about them if I go without for too long.

OOOOO Love!!!! Boxes are so freakin satisfying, and really, that's all it needs to be, a something that gets your head together. My background is in fine arts, so I find it super calming to spend an alarming amount of time setting things up, and even get a little sad when I'm done :P But in terms of down and dirty aesthetics, this is one of my favorite artists, so you know what I'm into anyways!

Agreed - or at least they're satisfying when I'm filling in the good color! My background's engineering, so this was an an elaborate design for me :P.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navis said:

Aah ok.  The other nerd is going to MD.  Best of luck, in any case!

Fun! Banks are great for analytics. I'm a data analyst myself, figuring out if crossing over to data science is at all possible (without going back to school that is).

Thanks!

And that's awesome - still not sure if I'll be able to pull it off without going back to school, also looking into some part-time master's degree programs as potential options.

Quick updates from today:

1. Woke up and did my Pilates - spine is still feeling reasonably mobile (my benchmark is being able to touch my toes behind my head while lying down on the floor - if it's difficult or not doable my mobility is really going downhill).
  2. Work was OK-ish - I was very distracted all day, but I still made progress on both my high-impact projects, although not as much as I would have liked; it was also a death-by-meetings kind of day (nearly 4 hours, blech).
  3. Yesterday was my birthday, which means today I'm making sure to respond to the birthday messages on facebook and also trying to wean off the sugary bacchanal I've been on the past couple days. The facebook piece makes me very grateful I only had about 40 posts this year - always weird responding to people I haven't spoken to in years, sometimes as many as half a decade (and we weren't that close before).
  4. Dance practice was good, but short. Did one simulated competition round toying with a few mental toughness strategies from "10-minute toughness" - really liking the effect on the strategy of performance statements (basically specific, short positive self-talk right before engaging in a demanding pursuit - athletic or non).

Also, a big win: the facebook responses is the first time I've taken time to write replies to birthday posts on facebook (normally, I just like and then leave it alone, which is underwhelming). It took ~20 minutes to write a reply to each one (even just "Thanks <name>!") but I feel a lot better knowing that I was able to put a few happy messages into the interwebs. :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

1. Yesterday was my birthday, which means today I'm making sure to respond to the birthday messages on facebook and also trying to wean off the sugary bacchanal I've been on the past couple days. The facebook piece makes me very grateful I only had about 40 posts this year - always weird responding to people I haven't spoken to in years, sometimes as many as half a decade (and we weren't that close before).

This is exactly why I don't post on people's FB walls for their birthday - unless i see them in person at least a few times a year. And this is why my birthday is not public on FB. I don't need people pretending to care about my b-day. LOL. I don't even care that much about it! :highly_amused:

• Like 1

Belated happy birthday! :D 

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is exactly why I don't post on people's FB walls for their birthday - unless i see them in person at least a few times a year. And this is why my birthday is not public on FB. I don't need people pretending to care about my b-day. LOL. I don't even care that much about it! :highly_amused:

Hahaha, I know what you mean! I don't care much about my birthday either. 

29 minutes ago, RedStone said:

YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! :D:D:D Happy happy!!! :D 

Did you do your AGEX BW squats???

(Cause apparently that's a thing IDK? :P)

It's thing, a sadistic thing! :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! :D:D:D Happy happy!!! :D 

Did you do your AGEX BW squats???

(Cause apparently that's a thing IDK? :P)

UFP8Qac.gif

jRTeneg.gif

7usT0CV.gif

I love all of these gifs!!! Swanson's my man!

I didn't do my age by BW squats in one set, but I did 3 sets of 5 each leg pistol squats, so I did more than my age? (26)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Belated happy birthday! :D 

Hahaha, I know what you mean! I don't care much about my birthday either. 

It's thing, a sadistic thing! :P 

Thanks! And I don't care that much, but I celebrate it at least a little since I know some other people care about it.

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Lol makes sense! I have a good chunk of family and long-distance friends (moved clear across the country after college) so I appreciate FB sometimes for staying in touch. But yes, occasionally weird to have people I was never close with sending me well wishes.

• Like 1

This morning's shortened workout:

Deadlift - 135x5x2, 165x5, 185x5, 210x5, 230x5
Press - 45x5x2, 70x5, 90x5, 105x5, 120x5x3
Snatch work -  drills 45x3 each, power 65x2x6 - drills 65x3 each - need to work on turning over wrists at lockout and pulling under the bar more, there were some very ugly reps in here
- Super w/ pull-ups: Body weightx4x5

Super
- DB Bench 45x12x3
- BB row 85x10x3

Normally I'd fit in another set of accessories plus abs work, but I woke up very late today and had to speed through my stuff. On the plus side, getting to the gym over an hour late rmeant that all the racks were empty so I could jump from exercise to exercise without worrying at all about working in with other people.

Got some deadlift pointers from a friend a week ago and today was my first real day to try them out - my lower back feels so much better now that I'm focusing on keeping the bar tighter to me all the way through the pull.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Got some deadlift pointers from a friend a week ago and today was my first real day to try them out - my lower back feels so much better now that I'm focusing on keeping the bar tighter to me all the way through the pull.

YUSSSS. Bruise them shins bro. Seriously, it helps. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

YUSSSS. Bruise them shins bro. Seriously, it helps. 

Haha I'll settle for just making contact with my legs at any point in the lift - didn't realize how swingy my deadlifts were until it was pointed out to me.

But also, this might be a good excuse to start searching amazon for ridiculous deadlifting socks.

6 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

But also, this might be a good excuse to start searching amazon for ridiculous deadlifting socks.

This is practically a human right. Moxey does great macho DL socks, but socks are where you get to flash some PL personality. Ironic unicorn socks, or unironic MLP socks like @Br0din rocks just to flash his pony love; there's no bad way to play it.

th?id=OIP.cHtkVfkUCWuNnEY9ZSfkpQEsEs&w=2

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Br0din said:
Bloody shins on deadlift day.  I need longer socks!  #nerdfitness, #deadlifts

I only use blood and sweat to protect my shins

You and me both - only have cuts on my right leg, which probably highlights one of many form issues.

• Like 1