• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MikeWazowski

Mike Wazowski: Eating right (or at least better)

9 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Red, isn't the 10-feet rule the best? Totally works for garish makeup too (I joke about the girls having "ballroom raccoon eyes" all the time). I'd love to see some of the head pieces!

It is awesome indeed. And explains a lot about my first foray into stage last year... they made me wear blush even tho it looked dumb up close (you look dead on stage with out it! Fiiiiiine.) and the costumes... I had one outfit in particular that was meant to be the frumpy to sexy quick change, and ended up being held together with like, one button and half a zipper so I could put on a party dress between scenes in like 30 seconds. What a shit show, I was convinced it looked like hell, but costuming insisted it was ok :P 

• Like 2

Update from yesterday / today:

Yesterday:

• Off from work so there's no work to slack off from
  • Finished rhinestoning armbands for my partner and sewed the bottom hem of my shirt by hand - checked the creative box for the day
  • Did a basic workout of 3x7 pistol squats, 3x10 pushups w/ 4s lower, 3x16 transverse crunches, 3x16 bicycle crunches then finished w/ basic mobility work, ankle rehab exercises, and foam rolling yesterday
  • Did two full-length comp run-throughs; first was too low energy but second felt :encouragement:
  • FINISHED "10-minute toughness" - would highly recommend it for pretty much anyone, fascinating read; first attempt to apply it was ok but not perfect
  • Actually came in under 2000 calories yesterday with ~130 grams of protein; today has not been as stellar but still has been a reasonably healthy eating day

Today:

• Still off from work, so I'm neither slacking nor being productive
  • Finished adjusting the fit of my partner's dress; in process of cobbling together her necklace from a couple costume jewelry ones plus a cluster of beaded fringe (like her armband / headband / belt have) - thank goodness for E-6000, the epoxy that's holding all the pieces together!
  • Did my Pilates routine - abs were tired from yesterday but it felt good to work my core, plus ankle rehab exercises and mobility work; plan to do foam rolling and stretching this evening
  • Planning a similar low volume, high-intensity practice today; we travel tomorrow and dance Thurs / Fri so at this point we're not fixing things so much as making sure that the best we currently execute our material is what shows up every round of the competition
  • Like 3

That's an awesome sounding workout! Bicycle crunches are hard. What are your key areas you foam roll? For me it's my calves that need to be mashed, they are so tight. 

I dont remember what 10 minute toughness is, so I'll have to read back in your challenge or google for it. That sounds interesting. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

That's an awesome sounding workout! Bicycle crunches are hard. What are your key areas you foam roll? For me it's my calves that need to be mashed, they are so tight. 

I dont remember what 10 minute toughness is, so I'll have to read back in your challenge or google for it. That sounds interesting. 

Here's the amazon link for 10-MT: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TI3CRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Basically, it's a brief how-to book on building mental toughness / resiliency. The author was the team psychologist for the St. Louis Cardinals, so most of his examples are sports-related, but he also tries to weave in some ways what he's doing could be applied to business or other pursuits as well. I found it super helpful this week, especially some of his stuff on thought replacement (i.e. recognizing negative or unproductive thoughts and immediately crowding them out with positive / empowering ones).

For foam rolling, I'll do calves a bit, but mostly outer glute, IT band, groin, hip flexor, and quad. I'd love to figure out how to do it on my mid / upper back, but I'm a bit worried about doing it wrong and injuring my spine so I haven't tried it a ton.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2017 at 9:52 AM, MikeWazowski said:

1) Maintain successes from last challenge:

• Go to mass every week
  • Do financial stuff every week (budget tracker, money shuffling, paying off all CC balances) - this is a bit extreme (paying cc's weekly) but has been the best approach to stave off daily money anxiety for me
  • Lift 3x per week, Pilates 3x per week - I fell off the Pilates wagon towards the end, but I need it to counterbalance the spine stiffness / tightness that comes from my strength training
  • Dance solo 3x per week - every weekend is with the partner, so this needs to be three nights in Mon - Thurs

Retrospective time! I haven't even bothered to look at the suggested forms, but I'll do a quick summary of 

Financial stuff is pretty much habitual at this point, as is lifting, so I'll be leaving them out from tracking in future challenges but still doing them. On the financial side, I'll add some form of staying within budget for my food and entertainment spending, both have been consistently over budget the past couple 4-week periods (and I always come up with a good "reason" why that happened, naturally).

Pilates didn't happen much, and mass was hit or miss. Dancing solo happened, but not with as much focus or intensity as I'd like. I'm planning to make my dance goal less around checking the box and more around starting each practice with a mental focusing workout (from the "10-minute toughness" book) then practice. For workouts, I'm going to push for Pilates at least 3x per week and biking to work 5x during the 5 weeks of the challenge (including zero week).

2) Clean up my nutrition / eating: 

• Follow a basic nutrition plan every day - this means eating veggies and lean proteins for every meal and not eating peanut butter straight from the jar, no matter how tasty it is
  • No emotional eating (or getting emotional about what I just ate) - I have a pretty broken relationship with food - I eat to soothe emotions and also get really emotional when I feel like my eating is "out of control" - my goal is to recognize that neither of those behaviors is rational in the moment and substitute a more appropriate behavioral / emotional response (lofty ambition)

Didn't do so amazing here. Not terrible, but my plan was likely too vague to set myself up for success. I do well with data, and assuming I pick reasonable calorie / macro goals, I should do better with an IIFYM-type approach. It helps that I gave up sweets of all forms for Lent, so I won't be dumping too many extra calories from sugar into my mouth through the end of next challenge.

3) Self Care:

• Sleep 7+ hours every night
  • Pray daily

Praying happened ~50% of the time, sleep was a bit worse - and I got frustrated because multiple nights I blocked off 8 hours for sleep but ended up getting ~6.5 thanks to sickness / allergy-related difficulty in getting to sleep.Next challenge I'll make the goal more directly controllable (time allocated for sleep) to make it more achievable. Also going to experiment with melatonin as an occasional supplement to help with the insomnia.

4) Step up my work game:

• Limit personal stuff to no more than 30 mins / day
  • Make a to-do list daily and prioritize it to focus on the highest value stuff

Did well with the to-do list, not so well with keeping personal stuff to 30 minutes. Next challenge I want to experiment with using the mental toughness workout as a focusing tool, since it worked so well with dance; also plan to fill out a brief retrospective at the end of each workday and digitize my notes from the day (currently meeting notes are scattered throughout a notebook, not the best way to keep track of info discussed).

5) Educate myself

• Read "10-minute toughness" (short-ish book with practical steps for athletes and business people to be mentally tougher / more resilient)
  • Go through the first course on Swirl to learn R (data analysis tool)

Succeeded in reading 10-minute toughness and found it super valuable at the competition. Did not succeed with R but did start it, so that's at least progress. Should include it in this next challenge to keep myself focused on work development.

I didn't love the Bullet Journal tracking I set up - going to experiment next challenge and do a set of digital checkboxes.

• Like 1