• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Warsaw Warrior

How do I get enough calories and plant based protein on a paleo diet?

Hi, I've recently been doing a lot of reading on the paleo diet and I am finding it intriguing.  I'm looking to build muscle on it, however, how could I replace the approximately 80 grams of protein and 1,000 calories I get a day from legumes?  I'd prefer not to get 160g of protein a day from meat alone, especially healthy organic and free range stuff tends to be cost prohibitive and 80g of nut protein a day seem like it'd have the same issue.  And with the removal of the legumes what would be a good replacement for the missing calories? 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

Is there something in particular that is suggesting you should go paleo? It's probably going to be pretty cost-prohibitive to do plant-based paleo and hit your protein targets.

Why the aversion to meat if you're going to a generally meat and vegetable based diet?

5 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Is there something in particular that is suggesting you should go paleo?

Not particularly but my face has become very red over the past year and I was wondering if removing grains and processed from my diet would help (I've already removed a lot of dairy).  I'm not sure if I want to go as hardcore as removing organic lentils as well though. 

6 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Is there something in particular that is suggesting you should go paleo? It's probably going to be pretty cost-prohibitive to do plant-based paleo and hit your protein targets.

Why the aversion to meat if you're going to a generally meat and vegetable based diet?

I hear conflicting things but in general I think I agree with the notion that meat intake should be limited and I'd prefer to not go over a pound a day.  That with my 6 eggs for breakfast it approximately 120g of protein was just wondering how I could get in the rest without carbs. 

Have you ruled out other factors which could be causing the red face?

It might be worth speaking to a doctor. I know diagnosis by diet is very popular online but it isn't always wise.

If you're trying to build muscle, why are you avoiding carbs?

You can tweak paleo to make it work for most goals but carbs are your friend to build muscle (and to build muscle you generally need to gain weight).

The general goal of paleo to eat more vegetables and less junk is great but there's a lot of hooey in there (as far as I'm concerned). 

What did the doctor say was the issue with your face?

If you want to eat legumes it's really not that big of an issue as far as "paleo" goes if you are preparing them appropriately.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/where-do-legumes-belong-in-the-primal-eating-plan/

https://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/

In fact, if you want to get extra low calorie protein in with out extra animal sources, pea protein powder is probably the best plant source. Though like with all plant sources it doesn't tend to absorb as well so you'll need more of it than you would from the usual animal sources that people tend to supplement.

You need carbs to properly fuel and build muscle. The idea though is to really find how many your body needs and simple add those to your diet, realizing that that target is a sliding scale over time. Personally I've found what works best for me is less than 100g on rest/recovery days and over 200g on lifting days, but again, that's what has been working for me.

If you want to get more carbs without beans, I actually hate beans so don't eat them anyways, fruits and root vegetables tend to work well. So can white rice or the "dreaded" added sugar when you're in a time/carb pinch. The biggest thing is to find what works best for you and your body and really the best way to do that is personal testing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

What did the doctor say was the issue with your face?

The physician diagnosed it as rosacea though it leans more towards intense redness and less on the acne side.  I've had it since my teens on the right side of my face to varying degrees of intensity but never too bad; I noticed it seemed best when I tried eliminating milk from my diet for a short period of time.  

About this same time last year it started getting progressively worse, spreading across the right side of my face, getting brighter, going to the left side of my face, below the eyes, and now its even on my eye lids.  It has not extended to the forehead, nose, or on skin under my facial hair.

Things I noticed that changed when it started getting worse were a daily consumption of dairy, added beef gelatin to my diet, I got a cat, and a few odd dietary adjustments; maybe increased sugar intake as well. 

I've worked to cut out the vast majority of dairy in my diet outside of cheese for burgers and burritos; even replacing butter with coconut oil but it doesn't seem to be getting better.

I feel its not from nutritional deficiencies since I've had whack dietary stints in the past without it flaring up.