• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JackUltra

Cholesterol - What's truly my next step?

7 posts in this topic

My doctor told me I have high cholesterol and need to lower it. I've read Steve's article on cholesterol and know that it is an in-depth topic and is not the only issue. Many things are interconnected.

Having said that? What's my next step? I'm working out 3-4 times a week. What should my diet look like? What types of foods should I be avoiding. It'd be easy to say "paleo", but does the paleo diet help with cholesterol? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Eat cows. Don't eat cake.

That's all.

Seriously though, cut down on sugary stuff and grains. Eat lots of veggies and meat. I don't think you have to go full paleo but yeah, it would probably help with lowering cholesterol.

What was your diet and exercise looking like before you got this diagnosis? If you were sedentary and eating crap I'd just say eat healthy and work out; don't worry about avoiding anything in particular. But if you've been eating healthy and working out for a while and your cholesterol is still high, something else might be amiss. Did your doc tell you why he thought your cholesterol was high?

Finally, don't believe people who say eating eggs will raise your cholesterol. Eating foods that contain cholesterol doesn't raise your blood cholesterol. Even the American Heart Association has finally admitted this.

1 person likes this

The whole topic of cholesterol and it's effect on your health, in addition to the alleged effects of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol, are kind of like a can of worms inside a can of worms - messy, hard to pin down, and ultimately confusing as hell.

Short version: go talk to a registered dietitian, or have a chat with your physician about what your cholesterol RATIOS look like, and your long term health goals (ie. why it's important to 'lower your cholesterol'). No guarantees that they'll be working with up to date information, but none of us are qualified to advise you in making specific dietary choices to treat a diagnosed medical condition (even if I'd like to :(). Here's a pretty simple primer on the topic: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-cholesterol

I do agree with @calanthropy about focusing on eating whole foods/lots of vegetables and avoiding refined sugars; it is HIGHLY unlikely to do anything but help you. Historically, it's been thought that plant based diets are the most effective in reducing total cholesterol numbers though. Paleo could work for you, depending on how your body responds to different carb/fat ratios - really, any 'diet' that lends itself to higher quality protein, lots of vegetables, fermented foods, some unprocessed fats (eg. avocado), etc. & avoiding refined sugars/white flour/etc is likely to help you improve and maintain your health. But these are general recommendations that would benefit almost everyone! :) (plus, I'm biased, because I do personally prefer to keep whole grains and legumes in my diet)

Get some oily fish too. Tuna and salmon are classics. Mix it up with some char and mackerel. or just have some nigiri!

One of my favorite omega-3/good fat bombs are brisling sardines in olive oil (drained) on sourdough wheat toast (I bake my own) with smashed avocado. A little Worcestershire, a little salt, yum!

Don't eat that TOO often though. It's still a lot of fat and calories. 

On 22/02/2017 at 10:33 PM, JackUltra said:

My doctor told me I have high cholesterol and need to lower it. I've read Steve's article on cholesterol and know that it is an in-depth topic and is not the only issue. Many things are interconnected.

Having said that? What's my next step? I'm working out 3-4 times a week. What should my diet look like? What types of foods should I be avoiding. It'd be easy to say "paleo", but does the paleo diet help with cholesterol? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

i had the same diagnosis a year ago. I have hyperlipidemia and my total cholesterol was 8.1. After a year of cutting down on saturated fats my cholesterol is 6.4 which is still high, but much better than it was. The big difference was lowering my LDL/HDL ratio from 6.4 to 3.0.

I reduced the amount of dairy i was eating, (it was alot), and cut out bacon, sausages and anything else that was high in sat.fats. If i eat red meat now, it is as lean as i can get. Lots of chicken, lots of oily fish, mainly mackerel and tuna , and i  put nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds) on salads and cereal as well as snacking on nuts. Also increasing the amount of exercise you do will lower your LDL. Good Luck.

And porridge, lots of porridge. Oats lower cholesterol. ☺