• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Klrip

How to mix lifting and running

My typical training week looks like this: 

Monday: swim/ lift arms

Tuesday: run intervals/ lift legs ( squats, deadlifts, donkey kicks, etc)

Wednesday: swim/ lift arms

Thursday: run intervals or fartleks/ lift

Friday: lift arms/ swim

Saturday: run intervals/ lift

sunday: long run ( typically 8-10 miles I go at whatever pace feels comfortable but a little bit challenging)

but I have been feeling so tired on it.  I was doing fine for like three months and now I just feel sore all the time.  How do you mix lifting and running?

I think your schedule is well laid out but I don't think I like you run choices

ASSUMPTION(which may be wrong): When you say run intervals you mean fast/slow intervals. if you mean run/walk, this is totally different.

I believe you're running program is unhealthy. You are running every run but your long run "hard". Most of your runs should be at an easy conversational pace. I would change Tuesday and Saturday to 'easy runs" and then run workouts (Intervals or hill repeats are my choices) on Thursdays and long(and easy) on Sundays.

Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

I typically go at about 80-90% effort for 1 minute then I jog for 40 seconds and go again when I run intervals. It typically lasts about 45-50 minutes and I run about 6 miles in the workout. My track coach always told me I needed to have a lot of days where I train hard and fast so that my body gets used to going at that speed and then during a race it will not be so uncomfortable.

Any particular reason why you are lifting six days a week?

It doesn't sound like you are recovering properly. I would revisit food, sleep and programming.  I can't comment on track, especially if you have a coach, but I'd encourage you to post your lifting goals and routine here for feedback.

I think you just need to tone it down a bit.  Six lifting sessions per week, on top of swimming, intervals, and a long run, is a lot.

I'd defer to your coach about what should be cut, but you need some easy days in there to properly recover.  Even professional athletes have rest days.

• Like 2

I switch between lifting legs and lifting arms but I am unsure how many times a week I need to lift each. I am trying to build muscle and I have been eating more because I have been getting hungry all the time and you need to eat to build muscle but I get worried that if I don't keep lifting during the week I will just pudge up. I also want to improve my 1/2 marathon time because I seem to have plateaued. By a rest day do you mean a day completely off or just an easier run day?

10 minutes ago, Klrip said:

I switch between lifting legs and lifting arms but I am unsure how many times a week I need to lift each. I am trying to build muscle and I have been eating more because I have been getting hungry all the time and you need to eat to build muscle but I get worried that if I don't keep lifting during the week I will just pudge up. I also want to improve my 1/2 marathon time because I seem to have plateaued. By a rest day do you mean a day completely off or just an easier run day?

You can probably bring it down to 2-3 lifting sessions per week. Muscles are challenged during training but built during recovery.  It's ok to do some light running or swimming during rest days, but also plan to have days where you do nothing from time to time.

• Like 2

Also, I don't have a coach anymore. I used to be a competitive swimmer and track athlete but I then got Graves' disease and I couldn't decide which sport I wanted to pursue more so when I went to college I decided to just do triathlons. I have moved away from them a little bit and started running half marathons. I am just used to having coaches tell me how and when to rest so I don't really know how to manage my own workout schedule. 

9 hours ago, Klrip said:

Two to three sessions total? Or two sessions for legs and two for arms?

Total.  More is overkill considering your goals and other activities.

Also I'm assuming when you say "arms", you mean triceps, biceps, shoulders, chest and back.

• Like 1

I do pull ups, push up, tricep dips, lat pull downs, chest press, and other various arm exercises. Leg days I do squats, deadlifts, donkey kicks with the cables, leg extensions, hamstring curls, and then sometimes I will do sets of jumping up stairs or calf exercises.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Klrip said:

I do pull ups, push up, tricep dips, lat pull downs, chest press, and other various arm exercises. Leg days I do squats, deadlifts, donkey kicks with the cables, leg extensions, hamstring curls, and then sometimes I will do sets of jumping up stairs or calf exercises.

Yep.  Those work more than just the arms :) 

Looks pretty comprehensive.  Dial it down to 3 lifting sessions per week and see how you feel then.

• Like 1

On 2017-02-24 at 9:19 PM, Klrip said:

Completely off.  Focus on eating well and maybe some quality time with your foam roller.

What are your goals for lifting?

7 hours ago, TheOtherScott said:

Completely off.  Focus on eating well and maybe some quality time with your foam roller.

What are your goals for lifting?

Completely off on which part? I want to continue to move up in weight each week but I have hit a plateau so I think maybe I need to vary my exercises. I need to gain some weight as well and I am hoping to make most of it muscle but I know some fat will come with it. What sort of diet do you recommend? I tried paleo but I am a college student and it is hard enough to find healthy food plus it is really hard to gain weight on paleo while being a runner.

10 hours ago, Klrip said:

Completely off on which part? I want to continue to move up in weight each week but I have hit a plateau so I think maybe I need to vary my exercises. I need to gain some weight as well and I am hoping to make most of it muscle but I know some fat will come with it. What sort of diet do you recommend? I tried paleo but I am a college student and it is hard enough to find healthy food plus it is really hard to gain weight on paleo while being a runner.

A day completely off for rest and recovery, sorry if that was unclear.

If you want to gain weight and get stronger, you might want to cut back on your mileage.  Running makes weight gain via strength training a lot harder to accomplish.

I don't know enough about nutrition to comment on diet apart from avoid junk and eat your vegetables.

Hi, guys, I'm having the same question. My primary interest is running, but I also want to have a stronger upper body. I'm struggling to figure out my weekly schedule, esp. when it comes to legwork. I've read on SR that it is necessary for injury prevention, and for more speed and power, but my quads and hamstrings are terribly sore after squats and lunges. I read that's the reason why it's better to do the legwork after running instead of before. Should it be done on the same day after running, or the day after?

This is my latest version of the weekly workout cycle:
Sun: long run (10k at minimum)
Mon: strength training + walking 8000 steps
Tue: active recovery day (walking 8000 steps)
Wed: walking 4000 steps + HIIT/fartlek/hill running + strength training
Thu: active recovery day (walking 8000 steps)
Fri: walking 4000 steps + tempo run + strength training
Sat: 24-hours rest day (from sundown Fri to sundown Sat) + walking 8000 steps after sundown

(You can see the type of strength workout I do in my battle log.)

Is that a healthy schedule?

Should I divide the strength training sessions into upper and lower body workouts (which would mean I'd have upper body workouts on what are now recovery days)?

P.S.

Is walking 4000 steps for the warm-up a good thing before interval or tempo runs, or does it diminish the performance and training benefits? I actually haven't tried it yet (I always walked very shortly before starting the easy run), but plan to do it this week. The reason why (besides reaching a daily 8000 steps goal) is that I feel terrible for the first 10 minutes of running (esp. in the intervals), and always perform much better and run faster after some 15 mins of running.

22 hours ago, MattSkywalker said:

Hi, guys, I'm having the same question. My primary interest is running, but I also want to have a stronger upper body. I'm struggling to figure out my weekly schedule, esp. when it comes to legwork. I've read on SR that it is necessary for injury prevention, and for more speed and power, but my quads and hamstrings are terribly sore after squats and lunges. I read that's the reason why it's better to do the legwork after running instead of before. Should it be done on the same day after running, or the day after?

This is my latest version of the weekly workout cycle:
Sun: long run (10k at minimum)
Mon: strength training + walking 8000 steps
Tue: active recovery day (walking 8000 steps)
Wed: walking 4000 steps + HIIT/fartlek/hill running + strength training
Thu: active recovery day (walking 8000 steps)
Fri: walking 4000 steps + tempo run + strength training
Sat: 24-hours rest day (from sundown Fri to sundown Sat) + walking 8000 steps after sundown

(You can see the type of strength workout I do in my battle log.)

Is that a healthy schedule?

Should I divide the strength training sessions into upper and lower body workouts (which would mean I'd have upper body workouts on what are now recovery days)?

P.S.

Is walking 4000 steps for the warm-up a good thing before interval or tempo runs, or does it diminish the performance and training benefits? I actually haven't tried it yet (I always walked very shortly before starting the easy run), but plan to do it this week. The reason why (besides reaching a daily 8000 steps goal) is that I feel terrible for the first 10 minutes of running (esp. in the intervals), and always perform much better and run faster after some 15 mins of running.

I like it for the most part. I'm not comfortable with your running schedule though. I'd drop the tempo run in exchange for an "easy run" at a conversational pace. You have too much intensity for your total mileage.  3 speed training's on a 3 day/week running schedule is rather heavy. I'd drop the Tempo or add a 4th running day (easy paced). Of course, if you are maintaining a fixed distance on your long run day vs building distance, it probably doesn't count as speed training .

As for the warmup, you should always be doing a dynamic warmup before running. You read SR so I assume you know where to find out about that. As for the hill/hiit/tempo days, I recommend a mile warmup/cooldown easy run before and after in addition to a dynamic warmup.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I appreciate this input!

Yeah, I intend to run long runs in a slow tempo. I'm focusing on increasing distance but without increasing tempo, for now - I intend to come to 15k (last one was 12k), and then slowly increase the pace. (It's true that during the last two long runs I kind of also worked on my tempo, because I hadn't done the planned tempo runs those weeks and I wanted to prove to myself that I can run 10k below 6 min.)

Most of my mileage is till done by walking (on average 6.5 km per day), so I thought that gives me some space for harder runs. Do you think I should replace one walking day with a short easy run?

On 2/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, MattSkywalker said:

Most of my mileage is till done by walking (on average 6.5 km per day), so I thought that gives me some space for harder runs. Do you think I should replace one walking day with a short easy run?

I would not push things on my long run. It's designed to train distance endurance. Run it easy. You will be better for it. As for adding another running day, either yes or drop the tempo day. Either works. All depends on your total weekly mileage vision. I like to run Mon, Wed, Thu, Sat myself.

• Like 1