From Park Ranger to Cube Dweller

I used to have much more active careers, in my 20s and 30s, and even then, my weight was always higher than it should be.

But since finding the better paying "desk jobs" in my 30s and 40s, I have ballooned in weight and lost my strength.

This past weekend was a Guys Only Weekend, and I realized I was not keeping up with my old high school friends, and even feigned dis-interest in doing the more physically challenging activities they wanted to do (snowshoeing, sledding, etc).

The Success Story about Ben is the one that most closely matches my current starting point. Husband, father of 2, worried I won't live long enough to see the youngest graduate high school.

So, here I am, looking to LARP my way into health and wellbeing.

• Like 2

Certified Nerd. Licensed Husband. Verified Father. Making a Good Man Better.

You can't stop change, only influence the consequences by acting or not acting.

Slow steady progress, at maximum effort.

Thank you.

Sore as all heck this morning. But better to be " I worked out and I'm sore" than "I have not done anything active in months and I'm sore and weak".

• Like 1

I was a state park ranger working at the State House. We did the security and parking for the govt building (brought in after the Oklahoma City Bombing). So, I was more like an unarmed police/security officer than an in the woods hiking trails type ranger. Great job, meeting politicians and celebrities, making friends with the local homeless. Lots of walking around the building and standing at post assignments.

Then I was offered a job as Reporter, and since I always wanted to write, I jumped at that chance. After working for a couple of papers (and going through a divorce) I ended up doing security and then ended up staffing at a nursing home. A few jobs and some education later, and I now do support for a medical application company.

• Like 1