• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Warrior Mini Challenge #2: Tons of Deadlifts

This mini challenge is dedicated to every nerd's favorite lift

201407_0947_eddba_sm.jpg

THE GOAL

For this challenge the goal is to move as much weight as possible within 5 minutes.

Males                                                   Females

Advanced: 6,000 lb (2724 kg)                  Advanced: 4,000 lb (1816 kg)

Beginner: 4,000 lb (1816 kg)               Beginner: 2,000 lb (908 kg)

STRATEGY

So let's say you're a male with a max deadlift of 400# and you're aiming for advanced level. In order to complete advanced level you would have to do the following amount of reps for the challenge at these weights:

225# 27 reps

250# 24 reps

285# 22 reps

300# 20 reps

320# 19 reps

These are obviously not all of the options, but some that could get you to the goal. Typically somewhere between 20-30 reps is a good idea over the 5 minutes. Your strategy depends on how you feel comfortable, would you rather do less reps at a higher weight? Or more reps at a lower weight?

Now that you know how much weight will be on the bar. How will you attempt this? As many reps as possible straight out the gate? Sets of 8? Sets of 5? How long will you rest before attempting another set? Pick your strategy.

THE ATTEMPT

I recommend grabbing a friend or partner to help you along with this if possible. Helps with running the timer and shouting out rep counts as you go along. Also for the general support and encouragement.

Load up the bar, set a timer for 5 minutes and deadlift your little heart out! Stop when the timer hits 5 minutes and see how many lbs you've lifted! Did you manage to hit your rep goal and still have time left on the clock? Keep going to aim for the next level or see how far you can go.

weightlifting-panda-bear-deadlift-t-shir

(I had to)

+0.5 WIS to all who plan strategy

+1 STA to all who participate, regardless of results

+0.5 STR for each level completed (Beginner = +0.5 STR, Advanced +1.0 STR)

+0.5 CHA to all who take video and post here

Let us know how it went! What weight did you use? How many reps did you manage? How did you plan your sets/rest? Anything you would have done differently?

You have until the last day of the challenge March 11 to complete this mini! Best of luck!

Congratulations to our finishers!!!!

• Like 4

I'm going to be really honest and say I'd struggle with the beginner level. How were the levels set? Because 18 reps at 105kg in five minutes is pretty brutal for someone with a 1RM around 140kg so how is someone with a 1RM of 100kg expected to have any hope of completing that?

Another challenge that clearly disadvantages female participants. Really not sure why this keeps happening. No need to list the reasons again, I know everyone is a volunteer and equality takes time and effort - but why not at least do it by body weight? Simples. I won't be participating in this because I think it's unfair. Best of luck to all our make expert lifters, though, well done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm going to be really honest and say I'd struggle with the beginner level. How were the levels set? Because 18 reps at 105kg in five minutes is pretty brutal for someone with a 1RM around 140kg so how is someone with a 1RM of 100kg expected to have any hope of completing that?

Thanks for the feedback, and will look into adjusting to make it more approachable.

Another challenge that clearly disadvantages female participants. Really not sure why this keeps happening. No need to list the reasons again, I know everyone is a volunteer and equality takes time and effort - but why not at least do it by body weight? Simples. I won't be participating in this because I think it's unfair. Best of luck to all our make expert lifters, though, well done.

We have new mods writing challenges, they don't necessarily know the lessons learned from the past. We'll edit it to make it more approachable for all levels.

That said, crumby attitude there, let's try be a little kinder in the future. You want us to put in the work? Might want to make people feel appreciated and want to do the work instead of us having this foreboding feeling when it comes posting minis and just having people complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Personally while I think the body weight comment is valid, I thought it was advantageous of the crossfitters who are used to doing lots of reps. 15 a minute at 135 would get you there.

• Like 4

4353082.jpg

I did a 3x10 workout a couple of weeks ago at 64kg. 

Spoiler

On 12 Feb 2017 at 4:46 PM, AugustaAdaByron said:

Workout from Sunday 12/02 

Deadlift 

50kg           x5

60kg           x5

64kg           x10x3

Bench Press

20kg           x10

30kg           x5

35kg           x3

40kg           x7x5 

Pause Squat (70s rest between sets)

37.5kg        x3x8

Lat pulldown

32kg           x10x5 

DB Row

7.5kg         x10x5

1) I'd need 61kg for the beginner level and 91kg for the intermediate level (91kg would be my shitty form 1RM).

2) I needed 5-7 minutes rest between the sets to catch my breath because my heart rate was going way up on the last reps and because I was worried I'd start rounding my back more (which I already did on the last reps anyway).

• Like 1

I can't do this right now because of my program but I think it's interesting. A lower weight for higher reps seems way more manageable of a strategy. 

Moving 100# 40 times is easier (to me) than moving my current working weight of 150# 27 times. The latter seeming impossible and the former seeming manageable. 

The challenge doesn't specify a strategy but if I were to do it, that would be my strategy. 100# for 40 reps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I can't do this right now because of my program but I think it's interesting. A lower weight for higher reps seems way more manageable of a strategy. 

Moving 100# 40 times is easier (to me) than moving my current working weight of 150# 27 times. The latter seeming impossible and the former seeming manageable. 

The challenge doesn't specify a strategy but if I were to do it, that would be my strategy. 100# for 40 reps. 

I was thinking the same... it would be way easier (maybe not for my ticker) for me to do 250lbs repeatedly than go heavier for less.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

I've just updated the levels to add a male and female category and only beginner and advanced levels.

If anyone has any further issues please message me privately.

That looks much more accessible. :)

• Like 1

We have new mods writing challenges, they don't necessarily know the lessons learned from the past. We'll edit it to make it more approachable for all levels.

That said, crumby attitude there, let's try be a little kinder in the future. You want us to put in the work? Might want to make people feel appreciated and want to do the work instead of us having this foreboding feeling when it comes posting minis and just having people complain.

I think it's perfectly valid to express emotion. The point has been made many times before. I've personally tried super friendly before (for me!). The tone does not invalidate my point (learning opportunity: tone policing and why it can be harmful). Thank you very much for taking the criticism on board and making adjustments so this is more accessible to all members of the forum. Much appreciated. On mobile so opting for brevity.

• Like 2

I'm in.

I haven't lifted even one deadlift for a while...if you don't count all the lifting i do at work any way. So I'll be going light and for more reps.

200#

5 sets of 4-6 reps EMOM

If i get all 4's that gets me the beginner lever, if all 6 advanced.

• Like 3

Ranger newbie jumping on board!

I am still a beginner to weight lifting (deadlifts started at 70 lbs and only now up to 5x5 at 120 lbs, with a 2 minute break between sets) but I am going to try for the beginner female levels.

My plan:

8 x 100 lbs, rest until 2 minutes

8 x 100 lbs, rest until 4 minutes

100 lbs - as many as I can until 5 minutes, need at least 4 reps.

Tomorrow is a gym day, I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

• Like 3

I'm going to attempt this challenge, but I'm going to do it next week rather than right now, I need to confirm how much weight I can deadlift first.

I think I should have no problems doing 5 sets of 5 @ 70KGs but I don't want to go in all guns blazing and f myself over. I'm definitely aiming at the beginner level here.

• Like 3

I am all for challenges, but damn.  I want to walk for the rest of the week, and high level deadlifts are not conducive to that.  But, if you are doing it -   Good luck.

• Like 4

I was tagged so that means I guess I have to...Count me in...Ill crank this out tomorrow likely since I forgot my gym clothes today.

Time to wake up some people who sit near my work gym. But this sounds like it is going to be a light and fast strategy.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

I mean, those are harder, so no.

Hehe I don't *think* he'll make me... but that's all I've pulled this month and coaches are sadistic, so who knows. Either way I think Friday is my day :) 

M6nmcJL.gif

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

I was tagged so that means I guess I have to...Count me in...Ill crank this out tomorrow likely since I forgot my gym clothes today.

Time to wake up some people who sit near my work gym. But this sounds like it is going to be a light and fast strategy.

I suppose I have to as well.  Dammit @Laghail.  Makin me workout and shit. :P 

Fridays are my normal DL day, so I'll either squeeze these in tonight after my normal workout (which shouldn't be too hard), or just do them in place of my Friday DLs.  

Plan: 

EMOM

135# x 6-9 reps

6 reps per minute gets beginner; 9 reps per minute gets advanced. I'll probably do a couple warmup sets at 95# too.  

• Like 3