• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

Warrior Mini Challenge #2: Tons of Deadlifts

2 minutes ago, Lydiechan said:

I'd never even heard of a trap bar...I had to look it up...  ^_^;

giphy.gif

When ah were a lass, we had to use a broomstick with a coople of pails of stones to lift weights.

Noon of this fancy barbell malarkey!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Br0din said:

They are great for people with me with back issues.  Allows me to keep my back very up right while doing deadlifts.  and well...  great for traps.  I'll be like a 6yo of Christmas when it finally comes in.  

27 minutes ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I haven't either but I do have access to one...

I like them a lot! With the extra stabilization you can work form with heavier loads. Grip is a little tricky, but once you get it it's solid :D 

• Like 2

did it! 165x5x5 (4125 lbs) in 4m 50s

I probably hit beginner around 2m15s

got way more sweaty than I thought was possible for me during DLs. switched up grip a couple times as well. my hands hurt.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lydiechan said:

Popping in from the Ranger side with a question perfect for this challenge.

I keep showing (guys) videos of Spezzy doing deadlifts, but I'm a little lost where to start.  I tried 20s and 30s and it felt silly.  I want to make sure my form is right from the beginning though.  (Now is probably a good time to mention that one of the employees at my gym thought dumbbells are called bar bells, so I'm not going to get any help there.)

What weight would you recommend that a complete noob start at?

44 minutes ago, Lydiechan said:

Thank you!  This is exactly what I was looking for.

It doesn't.  It's Planet Fitness and they're basically anti-free weights.  Everything is on a track.

Is the fixed barbell what you have? Where you can't change the weights? Something like this...

16670_17.jpg

If so you should be able to prop the ends up on some steps or bumpers or something to get started! If not, dumbbell RDL or bodyweight single leg DL (progressing to adding dumbbells once you've mastered the BW movement) is a great place to start with the tools you have available to you.

Here is @spezzy 's article about deadlifts: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-the-deadlift/

Here is an article about the single leg deadlift: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/single-leg-deadlift/

And as always, post up a form check in the form check section of forums if you'd like! 

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

My understanding is that they were both pretty into fitness, so who knows? My favorite fitness quote is Socrates, see sig.

I read this. Then read your sig... This was my thought process.... "Friends don't let friends squat high?   That doesn't sound like Socrates. Ohhhh.... wait " 

haha

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I like them a lot! With the extra stabilization you can work form with heavier loads. Grip is a little tricky, but once you get it it's solid :D 

Agreed.  Plus, the hex bar (I refuse to call it a trap bar) is more quad dominant than the oly bar.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Had to use the weight set I got at home for a total of 57kg including the bar. (Is one of those "this is the year I get fit" sleevless bars).

Aimed for "beginner male"

2x10

1x12

Took me 3'28", short rest included.

There are some real strong folks around these parts...

Great job!!! I bet you could hit advanced if you gave it another shot :)

2 hours ago, Steph__lifts said:

Holy hell. Well I did it!! Was lifting 60kg, sets were 10, 8, 8, 5.

Got beginner woman at 1:05 and advanced woman/beginner male at 3:23.

Then had a lie down for about 10 minutes.

And looked like a lunatic. But nevermind. That can be my 20 seconds of uncomfortableness for today (or 3:23)

Video proof with all my breaks cut out because no one needs to see my desperately trying to catch my breath - must do some cardio!

AWESOME.

20 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

did it! 165x5x5 (4125 lbs) in 4m 50s

I probably hit beginner around 2m15s

got way more sweaty than I thought was possible for me during DLs. switched up grip a couple times as well. my hands hurt.

Great job! Did you do EMOM?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ixaera said:

I cannot do because my back is still broked, but do all the things, I will cheer from my pain free reclined position!

when you do feel better, go find yourself a trap bar.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

What gym do you go to that there aren't even three deadlift platforms???

I know of one, and it's a magical place with wonderful owners. It's right around where I grew up and I hope to one day live around there again.

5 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

I've never even used a trap bar...

Definitely play around with it, great for overloading. I can lift heavier weights on it than anything else. You can do high reps for complete body hypertrophy while sparing your back a bit vs squats and deadlifts, and the neutral grip makes grip not a limiter.

• Like 2

Definitely play around with it, great for overloading. I can lift heavier weights on it than anything else. You can do high reps for complete body hypertrophy while sparing your back a bit vs squats and deadlifts, and the neutral grip makes grip not a limiter.

After three hours a session, I'm not really looking to add more lifting. I'll do it when it's in my programme.

Just now, SpecialSundae said:

After three hours a session, I'm not really looking to add more lifting. I'll do it when it's in my programme.

I meant work it into your program or or have your coach do it, not to just go doing hex deadlifts at 105% of 1RM.

• Like 1

On 2017-02-26 at 4:48 PM, miss_marissa said:

In order to complete advanced level you would have to do the following amount of reps for the challenge at these weights:

225# 26 reps

I know I've done 55 reps of 225# for CF Open workout 16.4 just a couple of weeks ago sub-3:30 so this should be manageable.

On 2017-02-26 at 6:11 PM, Laghail said:

I think the juggernaut/ranger guys should be all over this, even just following their regular programming. 

@Rurik Harrgath

Thanks for the tag! I almost feel bad jumping in the Warrior mini-challenge when it's so firmly in my wheelhouse TBH!

On 2017-02-26 at 6:54 PM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

For those that can get the top volume, try throwing down to see who can get it the fastest.

Most volume in 5:00 or fastest to the advanced standard?  I'm gonna do this by the weekend (provided my back is up for it after the last Open workout).

• Like 2

I meant work it into your program or or have your coach do it, not to just go doing hex deadlifts at 105% of 1RM.

I basically leave him to do his thing in terms of programming, even if it does mean band squats and double pause bench.

6 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Thanks for the tag! I almost feel bad jumping in the Warrior mini-challenge when it's so firmly in my wheelhouse TBH!

This just means that we need to kick your ass.

6 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Most volume in 5:00 or fastest to the advanced standard?  I'm gonna do this by the weekend (provided my back is up for it after the last Open workout).

Most volume is CLEARLY not fastest time. 

giphy.gif

There are leaderboards for both most volume in 5:00, and fastest time to advanced level.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Br0din said:

when you do feel better, go find yourself a trap bar.

My gym has three or four, pretty great huh

I've used them before, I like it for how much more centered the weight feels. (Plus I did like 5 pounds over my max ever on it once and it didn't feel like I was maxing out at all, woohoo)

Got a ways to go til I can even get back to standing OHP though, alas. Even toting 30 lbs of dumbbell from the rack to the bench can get me down in the backside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

My gym has three or four, pretty great huh

I've used them before, I like it for how much more centered the weight feels. (Plus I did like 5 pounds over my max ever on it once and it didn't feel like I was maxing out at all, woohoo)

Got a ways to go til I can even get back to standing OHP though, alas. Even toting 30 lbs of dumbbell from the rack to the bench can get me down in the backside.

It's a process,  I don't do standing OHP,  too much strain on the lower back.

6 minutes ago, Br0din said:

Huh. More strain than your bodyweight on a bar for front squats? It's not less compression on your spine b/c of the naturally lower weight?

Huh. More strain than your bodyweight on a bar for front squats? It's not less compression on your spine b/c of the naturally lower weight?

I've found that OHP puts a lot of strain on my lower back if and only if I'm not activating my entire body properly - which includes core, glutes, quads, lats... think mountain pose in yoga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I've found that OHP puts a lot of strain on my lower back if and only if I'm not activating my entire body properly - which includes core, glutes, quads, lats... think mountain pose in yoga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and add in some pelvic tilt that I get into when I try to lift heavy...  juice isn't worth the squeeze.

28 minutes ago, Br0din said:

and add in some pelvic tilt that I get into when I try to lift heavy...  juice isn't worth the squeeze.

haha yup. when i do dumbbell standing overhead press i actually usually put my hand against my abs to remind myself to keep everything tight. it's sooooo easy to let everything go without even noticing.

• Like 1