44 days ago today I broke my right ankle in two places while skating backwards up a slight incline at the skatepark with a friend. After an ambulance ride, a constant stream of drugs, surgery to attach 8 screws and a plate to my ankle breaks, and 6 weeks of no-weight-bearing house-arrest thumb-twiddling mind-numbing boredom, I got the A-Okay from my surgeon today to start weight-bearing as much as I can handle. This means I either have to walk in my moon boot or with crutches assisting my step. It's a small step back in the direction of being a completely independent and able-bodied human being; two things I took completely for granted before the break. 

I miss roller derby. 

I miss driving. 

I miss working (never thought I'd say that!)

And I miss going to the gym. 

Today I got a teeny weeny bit closer to getting all of those things back! Yay!

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Baby woot - just cooked myself lunch while STANDING in the kitchen, supported by my moon boot and just one crutch. Yesterday I couldn't hobble without both crutches. Woo!

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

On 2/27/2017 at 6:36 AM, Rolling Stoney said:

It's a small step back in the direction of being a completely independent and able-bodied human being

Small steps are better than no steps at all. Keep at it, and you'll be back to rolling like thunder, kicking ass, and taking names. ;)

giphy.gif

A special gif just for you. :-)

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Ahaha awesome, thanks Wolfen :D

After lunch I dropped the last crutch and managed to hobble on just the moon boot every time I got up during the afternoon. It's not elegant but it's me standing unsupported and it was great!

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

19 minutes ago, Rolling Stoney said:

and it was great

I'll bet it was, and you're welcome. Keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Looking forward to hearing about your progress! It really is the small things like standing to cook that help mentally in healing! (I had my ACL replaced years ago, the first time I was able to put on pants by myself I was so thrilled). 

Following along to cheer you on!

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

So this weekend was full on. I am in charge of fundraising for my derby league so I was busy organising two days of sausage sizzle to make us some money. Which worked; we raked it in. But I had to organise volunteers as well as get those volunteers to pick everything up and help set up more then I would normally like because I currently lack a car and the ability to walk properly. Thankfully everyone in my league are awesome people and willing to pitch in because it went off without a hitch and I impressed everyone by organising it all with a broken ankle. I did spent a good part of the two days on my feet (in my moon boot) so I was pretty sore by Monday and spent most of it asleep and off my foot. But being able to walk more or less like a normal person and spending a few days serving people food made me feel a bit more like myself then I have been these last few weeks. 

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

8 hours ago, Rolling Stoney said:

sausage sizzle

I'd pay for that! :-)

everyone in my league are awesome people and willing to pitch in

Awesome! Teamwork! They sound like good people, seriously.

me feel a bit more like myself then I have been these last few weeks

And this is what it's all about. I think it's cool that in spite of your pain you're doing your best to get out, to help your team, and to feed people!

O4PP21V.gif

Even Idris Elba thinks you're awesome.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

This sausage sizzle was a good'un; we had sausages in buns and burgers with cheese and onion and bacon and egg rolls. As much as I dislike my job, working in hospitality for 6 years has made me super qualified to run a sausage sizzle xD

Today was a good'un too actually. I was just hanging around the house. I walked around sans crutches and moon boot and just had shoes on. Like a normal person! With a limp. I find having shoes on makes walking feel a bit less weird. As much as I love not wearing shoes. I really want to work on getting my foot to roll through the heel-to-toe in a normal walking motion, which is much harder to do with the moon boot on. 

I also cycled a bit on the stationery bike and attempted some squats. I couldn't quite get down to parallel as the front of my ankle was very tight. But I did 20, and it was getting easier as I continued. Cycling feels good. Being sweaty feels good. xD I also tried to do some lunges but my right ankle won't bend enough to support my weight when it's behind me so I stopped those. 

• Like 3

Stonie

They/Them

4 hours ago, Rolling Stoney said:

Today was a good'un too actually.

That's good to hear! Keep at it.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Just saw the date as I'm posting in my battle log; today is two months since my ankle surgery. Today I walked around moon boot free and even left the house to go to a friend's place with two shoes on instead of one and a moon boot. xD The limp is getting better every day too. 

I have my first physio appointment tomorrow so I hope to get a good plan to rehab my ankle and hopefully an ETA on when I can drive again. 

• Like 3

Stonie

They/Them

3 hours ago, Rolling Stoney said:

Today I walked around moon boot free and even left the house to go to a friend's place with two shoes on instead of one and a moon boot.

Hell yeah. You'll be back to body-checking in no time. :D

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I really hope I can start doing something properly physical before i return to work. The relief of knowing i got to hit willing people or lift heavy shit got me through the shit customers at work daily. xD

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

I hear you on that. When I was doing archery, it was the only thing that relaxed me after a long stressful week. And my very short lived life in roller derby was going to help me with my aggression from my last job. That job ended before roller derby started and my anxiety got the better of me during it so I stopped going after about 2 months. I still dream about, though. But, yea, a release from clients is definitely needed! You'll be back hip checking people soon!  

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

So physio is going well. I was given a theraband and a list of ankle movements to do with it as well as single-leg balancing. My ROM is coming back ever so slowly but the single leg balancing has not been going well. Couch surfing for 2 months has taken away all my fine-motor balancing muscles and I couldn't keep myself up no matter now hard I focussed. 

But today I stood solidly for 54 seconds on my bad ankle and it was (almost) glorious. I say almost because I was aiming for 1 solid minute. High achiever here, I know. xD

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Physio gave me a stronger theraband today. Told me to do squats and calf raises along with all the other things she has me doing. I squee'd at the squats. xD Also said I can drive a car if I feel strong enough! Which I do, so I did. It was great :D I feel independent again! I also stopped by at work to let them know that I can drive and walk fine so I was good to come back. I am starting with the bare minimum shift I can legally do (3 hours) every morning Monday to Friday from next week. My co-worker needs a sleep in and three hours in the morning and the rest of the day off sounds good to me! I bought some bulk ibuprofen and some compression tubing for my ankle to help it get adjusted to being walked on again for 3 hours. 

I'm also going to ring the gym tomorrow to re-instate my membership so can do some upper body stuff and do my physio work there too. 

I don't need to go back to the physio for 2 weeks apparently; and after that 2 weeks she said I should be right to start skating again! as long as I feel strong in my bung ankle, so we'll see about that. I plan on only skating the warmup part of training for the first week or two as I re-adjust to having wheels on my feet. 

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

This is such great news!!!  I'm so pleased for you! 

giphy.gif

As someone who has been through recovery from broken bones you have my sympathies.  You'll make swift progress now that you're able to walk on it but be prepared that it will take probably a year to get your ankle back to full functionality (sorry!).  You will be back to Roller Derby way before that point though. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

2 hours ago, Guzzi said:

As someone who has been through recovery from broken bones you have my sympathies.  You'll make swift progress now that you're able to walk on it but be prepared that it will take probably a year to get your ankle back to full functionality (sorry!).  You will be back to Roller Derby way before that point though. ;) 

Don't be sorry! The surgeon who fixed me said it might never return to normal so I'm fully prepared for it never to get 100% better. But I'm already seeing teeny improvements and it's very exciting :) I got my foot 2cm away from the wall with my knee pushed up against said wall last night. The day before that it was only 1cm. Improvements!

I walked around work for the first time yesterday for 3 hours and that was nice to get back to. I also made it to the gym on Sunday for some upper body stuff; with work and the gym back in my life I am getting closer to my old life again! Woo!

• Like 2

Stonie

They/Them

It's been a quiet few weeks but I'm still making progress. I am back at work at full capacity, and my ankle still complains a bit in the evening but with ice and anti-inflammatories it is perfectly manageable. :)

Being back at the gym is great. The physio even told me I can start attempting to run. I sniggered on the inside (skating is my cardio) but knowing I can do a thing that I previously couldn't is great! I'm even allowed to skate gently "on flat surfaces" buahaha. 

And today I got a medical professional to sign off on my return to derby training! No contact allowed, but that's because I asked for that so I could get my stopping and skating form and skills back before I bother focussing on crashing into people.  

• Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Yay!  This is great!  Even getting back to work must be a big boost, it's no fun sitting at home every day, huh?  It's so good that you're back skating though, that must be such a relief!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously