Herbal teas

Shamus36

I drink a fair amount of herbal teas.  I mainly drink them as a means for curbing my food cravings, but I am also looking to reduce my consumption of coffee.  It seems to me that if I am already drinking all this tea, I might as well drink tea that could possibly have some additional health benefits.  There are two main areas I am looking at right now; tea to help boost my metabolism, and tea to help boost energy, and possibly replace my coffee's caffeine kick. 

Some of the energy boosting teas I have come across include ginseng, ginger, licorice, ginko biloba and rosehip.  For metabolism boosting, I have been looking at white and green teas, oolong, goji, yerba mate, and pu erh.  I am familiar with, and drink a few of these already, but others like oolong, goji and pu erh, I have yet to try.  I also realize that some of them have caffeine as well, but I am looking at whether the health benefits outweigh the negatives.

Any thoughts, experiences, or advice would appreciated.  Any other teas I haven't listed, that you would recommend?

I drink tea, because it is delicious. I would recommend you try oolong and yerba mate for sure. I have been really big into oolong lately. I don't know if it boosts metabolism or not though. I feel like if it does it must be somewhat of a minimal impact. I am quite certain I have a slow metabolism I don't notice anything that would rate above a placebo effect. Oolong is delightful though and I have been having a couple mugs a day.

I have had pu erh tea a couple times. I still am not sure what I think of it. It is definitely a dark tea, I like it, but I feel like it is a tea that requires getting use to in order to fully appreciate. It always seems to cost more so I am hesitant to work my way towards liking it. :-)

• Like 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

It will be interesting to see which of the more unusual teas are available in my area.  Most are, and certainly I already have several of them in my pantry.  I'm curious about the pu erh, as part of my wife's family is from China, and a number of the remedies she uses are imported from there.  Plus, I'm no stranger to darker/stronger tea.  The running joke in my family is that I steep my black tea for so long, you can practically stand a spoon up in it.

Rooibos tea is supposed to have some crazy health benefits like reducing blood pressure etc, and caffeine-free as well. Yerba Mate probably has close to the caffeine of coffee, don't quote me on that. I only drink caffeine-free teas. My favorite are the mint leaf blends (spearmint, peppermint, and so on). Brandwise Numi is the highest quality of the ones I've tried, I also like the plain Ginger tea from Yogi. Trader Joes has some unusual stuff too that might be worth a try like a citrus Ginger/Turmeric tea that's probably very healthy.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:18 AM, Shamus36 said:

It will be interesting to see which of the more unusual teas are available in my area.  Most are, and certainly I already have several of them in my pantry.  I'm curious about the pu erh, as part of my wife's family is from China, and a number of the remedies she uses are imported from there.  Plus, I'm no stranger to darker/stronger tea.  The running joke in my family is that I steep my black tea for so long, you can practically stand a spoon up in it.

I think you will definitely like the pu erh tea then. My main issue with it is the cost. However I think I saw it at a normal grocery store recently so maybe it is catching on. Previously I would only find it at this one tea house we have that imports all their tea from China.

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -