Simple Meat Dishes?

Faery

So I've been trying to find something that would work for me for quite a while. For the longest time I tried to stick to veganism, but couldn't. My latest attempt at healthy eating has involved animal protein at dinner and that has made SO much difference in my "stick-to-it-iveness". However, I'm running out of ideas for the meat portion of my dinner.

I prefer not to eat pork, and I eat red meat sparingly (usually lamb, because my lamb is to die for, but I'll eat basically any red meat). I don't consume dairy.

I eat mostly seafood or chicken, with some variant of rice and/or beans as my side dish. 

For example, tonight I had a cod filet wrapped in turkey bacon. (It was amazing)

Yesterday, I had grilled shrimp.

The day before that, I had "ranch" seasoned tilapia.

And the day before that, I had pineapple baked salmon.

I really like simple meals. Everything is made from scratch because I'm overly obsessive about my cooking. The most intensive dish is the ranch seasoned tilapia and it has 6 ingredients total.

Thank you in advance!

Butter, lemon juice, salt & pepper, any fish - hot pan.

Mayo + cayenne + lemon juice + horseradish on fish, in the oven.

Fish sauce to season any cut of meat that you enjoy, seared in a hot pan.

Braise lamb shoulder in a bit of chicken broth with 1tbsp of ketchup, some chipotle powder, 2tsp grainy mustard, and 1tsp of dried mint.

Hash: pan fry ground meat with seasoning salt, set aside (keep the fat in the pan) - add 1cm cubed potato (potato:meat ratio is your call), coat in the fat, let crisp up. Add the meat back in with some frozen peas, enjoy.

Shanks in chicken broth with roasted garlic, minced onion, celery leaves, and carrot chunks - sear the shanks, chuck everything in a slow cooker for a few hours.

Whole roast chicken - bonus points, because you can use the carcass for soup.

Sausages, if you're feeling lazy. ;)

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Crispy Salmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQuyOwNtAVM

On 3/1/2017 at 9:39 PM, Defining said:

Fish sauce to season any cut of meat that you enjoy, seared in a hot pan.

Any examples of this? I'll have to try this. I have a whole bottle of fish sauce that I rarely use.

5 hours ago, Machete said:

Any examples of this? I'll have to try this. I have a whole bottle of fish sauce that I rarely use.

I have to admit, I usually just use it as a marinade when I'm cooking sous vide. 'Bout a tbsp, in a plastic bag, push out all the air, leave for a day or five. Rinse & pat dry before searing, it's ridiculously salty.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

My favorite low-effort go-to is pan-roasted chicken in a pan sauce.

lots of different sauces will create a different-flavored dish, and it takes all of 15 minutes of effort.

white wine + lemon.

tomatoes + capers or peppercorns.

Mushrooms + Marsala + fish sauce for some extra meatiness.

Shrimp are awesome and easy, as they take all of 2 minutes to sauté. I recently grabbed some and had a very tasty experience with a Serious Eztd recipe for Shrimp Fra Diavolo, or pasta with shrimp. More shrimp + less pasta = higher protein, far fewer calories.

Why don't you do pork? If it's due to fat content, grab some pork loin, it's extremely lean. If it's due to cleanliness concerns, disease from pork hasn't been a thing for over 50 years, you're more likely to get salmonella from your chicken.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

On 3/3/2017 at 2:09 PM, Defining said:

I have to admit, I usually just use it as a marinade when I'm cooking sous vide. 'Bout a tbsp, in a plastic bag, push out all the air, leave for a day or five. Rinse & pat dry before searing, it's ridiculously salty.

+1 to this. Sous vide is proving very good for cooking while cutting for me, as you need less seasoning for meat cooked that way.

an extra tbsp of lime juice and a tsp of brown sugar, maybe a few chile slivers, would make that a great Thai marinade. A little oyster sauce, xaoshing wine, and a pinch of white sugar would give it a classic Chinese flavor.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st