Help me balance out the diet (paleo-ish)

Leimanu

Diet has been the biggest struggle, but it's the biggest key.  I have tried batch-cooking, meal-planning, following others' plans...been there done, done that.  My goal is weight loss.

I think these are the two biggest issues:

- I don't trust the process.  How do I know that this struggle will work?

- The calories come out too high or two low, the macros are wack...

- Eating the most at night.  I'm always like, am I hungry now?  Will I be hungry later?  Better eat more now!!

giphy.gif

I'd like to keep calories around 1800 - 2000 cals and low carbs, with not a whole bunch of cooking except for one day of prep.  It's not going to work if I'm cooking dinner daily.

Here's one meal plan I'd like fixed

Breakfast: 2 eggs, almonds, fruit

Lunch: Salad with 4oz chicken and 0.5 avocado

Dinner: fish with vegetables and nuts / or / spaghetti squash with marinara sauce (turkey)

snacks: 2oz chicken, walnuts, 0.5 avocado, fruit

cals: 1835 / or / 1798

protein: 142g

carbs: 83g

fat 115g

(Remember, I over-think too much) Those numbers aren't bad, but is that a lot of nuts and animal-based protein?  That's about 30% protein and 50% (good) fat.  Is that too much protein over a long time?  (I'm looking to lose 60lb, 1lb at a time)  If I am hungry at the end of the day, what's a good snack that will fill but not throw the numbers off too bad?  

Thanks!

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

It's not too much protein. Honestly it looks fine to me. If you find yourself getting hungry all day maybe swap out the nuts for some veggies. You can eat a lot of broccoli for the same calorie count as a handful of nuts.

As far as end-of-the-day snacks, I'll usually have an egg or two if I'm still hungry. The good thing about protein is it keeps you feeling full longer.

I can't tell from your post whether you've tried this diet and it's not working or if this is just a plan you intend to follow. If you haven't tried it yet I'd say stop analyzing and go for it. If you find it isn't working you can reevaluate, but until then you won't know until you try.

And finally...

On 3/3/2017 at 8:02 PM, Leimanu said:

am I hungry now? 

If you have to ask, the answer's no.

• Like 1

Questions in order asked...

- Empirical evidence that caloric deficits result in weight loss seems convincing enough to me, but you should be tracking your bodyfat to ensure what you're doing is working.

- Your sample macros look far from wack. But variation is how eating habits look, no one will reasonably hit their goal on the nose every single day. Relax a little and pay attention to your weekly average. You lose weight by accumulating a certain total deficit over a period of time. That's why the folks who mean srs busns set a total, say 40,000 kcal of fat to lose, and subtract their daily deficit from the total.

- No one cares if you eat a lot at night. If you're hitting your goals you're fine.

- A lot of animal protein and nuts -- based on whose opinion? All that matters is the math,  whether you're happy with what you're eating, and how your progressing. Personally I would never eat that many nuts because I find them too difficult to track (you have to count every single one, or weigh them). But there is no good reason for you to care how many nuts I like to eat.

- Not too much protein unless you have a diagnosed kidney condition. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about protein. Or fat. Or carbs, for that matter.

- Good snack would be one that is low-cal, filling, and preferably high protein (as protein is far more filling than either fat or carbs). I'd reach for lean meat, like shrimp, chicken or pork loin. The cheapest option would be a protein shake.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

@calanthrophy  and  @PaulG  Thank you so much for taking time to give me advice.  I have done things like this many times, and a few years ago lost quite a bit of weight with being paleo-ish and adhering to something very similar.  The concerns I had are the reason I fail.  I have gained all my weight back, so I didn't have confidence in doing in again.  And yeah, different nutrition advice everywhere, so questions about protein and animal meat, etc etc.

My update is I've done this for a week.  I tried to go with my natural tendencies of research and hating cooking during the week, so I made a few meals on the weekend and logged a day or two to make sure it was pretty close to what I wanted and just got on with it.  Here I am, a few pounds down, with a second week of meals made.

Again, thank you for commenting.  It really helped :) 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 2:02 AM, Leimanu said:

giphy.gif

I'd like to keep calories around 1800 - 2000 cals and low carbs, with not a whole bunch of cooking except for one day of prep.  It's not going to work if I'm cooking dinner daily.

Hey.  There's plenty of good advice above, I just thought that I'd ask one question.  You might not find it useful but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. 

You said that you're aiming for 1800-2000kcal a day and looking to lose 60ish lbs.  It just seems to me that if you have that much to lose then you could be aiming too low with your calorie target, especially if you are trying to eat active and exercising.  

When I was tracking my calories and trying to lose weight back in 2014 I had a daily goal of 2300kcal and that was when I weighed less than 70ks, and that was my "losing weight" calories. You will already be burning more calories than me purely because you weigh more and it takes more energy to move around (or even just simply be alive). 

I would hate to think that you're making yourself really miserable by sticking to a really low calorie diet if you don't need to.  Have you put your data into a calculator to find your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (or how much calories you need to consume each day).  Please feel free to ignore me if you feel like you've done all of that and are happy with your numbers.  ;)   

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 3/28/2017 at 6:38 PM, Guzzi said:

Hey.  There's plenty of good advice above, I just thought that I'd ask one question.  You might not find it useful but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. 

You said that you're aiming for 1800-2000kcal a day and looking to lose 60ish lbs.  It just seems to me that if you have that much to lose then you could be aiming too low with your calorie target, especially if you are trying to eat active and exercising.  

Thanks for the advice!  Really nicely said, too :)

It's funny you wrote this a couple days ago, because I bumped up my calories to what I would consider "a lot," up to 2200.  Like, since I haven't stuck with a 1800/2000 diet, it's apparently not working, right?  So I revamped and up the numbers go.  I just really need to eat healthy food, so hopefully if I'm full of that, I won't eat mindlessly.

I'm throwing in more carbs too.  I had the strongest craving for oatmeal, of all things.

On 01/04/2017 at 6:33 PM, Leimanu said:

Thanks for the advice!  Really nicely said, too :)

It's funny you wrote this a couple days ago, because I bumped up my calories to what I would consider "a lot," up to 2200.  Like, since I haven't stuck with a 1800/2000 diet, it's apparently not working, right?  

You said it!  There's no point having a target that's too difficult to keep to.

[Oh, I just looked back at the rest of my post and realised I'd already said the bit below. Oops!]  

Have you considered working out how many calories your body actually needs, and how many you should be eating to lose Xlbs per week?  It's quite easy, first you calculate how man calories your body needs just to function. This is called your Basal Metabolic Rate, or BMR.  There's a calculator here that will do that for you.  Then follow the link for the Harris Benedict formula to work out how much more above that you need for moving around and such like. 

Once you know that it's easy to work out how many calories you should aim for to lose however much you want to aim for per week.  It's a really handy thing to know because every person is different and the old "women should eat 1,500-2,000kcal" really doesn't apply to most of us. 

So I revamped and up the numbers go.  I just really need to eat healthy food, so hopefully if I'm full of that, I won't eat mindlessly.

I'm throwing in more carbs too.  I had the strongest craving for oatmeal, of all things.

I think you're right.  When you feel like you're eating lots at mealtimes you're less likely to graze through the day.  There's no right or wrong way to eat but my own personal opinion is that I try to keep my carbs as complex as possible.  Oatmeal is great, as are potatoes, sweet potatoes, wholegrain rice etc.  If I eat bread or pasta I eat wholegrain varieties, preferably seeded bread too for the extra nutrients.  The more complex your carbs the longer they take to break down so the less insulin your body produces.  Insulin tells your body to store energy as fat so it's a dieter's worst enemy. ;) 

Sorry, you probably know all that stuff already but it's always so hard to know how much to advice/info to give someone so I usually just say as much as I can and they can disregard what they already know/don't need. 

Just a thought but have you thought about intermittent fasting?  I found it really useful when I was losing weight before and apparently it has some real health benefits too.  I used the 5:2 method where on two non-consecutive days each week I only ate 600kcal, the other 5 days you're free to eat whatever you want.  I found it easy to "fast" for a day but lots of people prefer the 16:8 method where you simply don't eat any thing until lunch or after dinner.  Which is what I'm doing now since I can't go a day without food because of the painkillers I'm on. 

Anyway, none of that is related to your original question, lol!  I don't know if you can get these where you live but my favourite snacks are 9 Bars.  They're made with seeds and have carob topping, they taste great and are far more filling than your regular snack bar.  My second favourite is Trek bars and nibbles, the coconut and carob protein flapjack is my absolute favourite!  Or Nakd bars, which are made just using dried fruit and nuts.  I don't know how they do it but honestly the rhubarb and custard flavour actually tastes like rhubarb and custard, and the Bakewell tart???  Wow!

I don't know if those are available stateside, but there must be a US equivalent, right? :confused:   If I'm at home and feeling hungry then I'm happy to much on some scrambled eggs, or poached eggs on toasted rye bread.  I sometimes make breakfast muffins and keep them in the fridge to grab as a snack as I run out the door (I'm always late) or in the freezer and defrost them in the micro.  Another idea since you like avacado is to have it with some Parma (or similar) ham with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, that's really tasty.  I also like to buy frozen mixed berries which can then be used to make a smoothie or just defrosted and eaten with some natural yoghurt (with a sprinkle of seeds and coconut if you have calories to spare).  I also like oatcakes with pâté, or smoked salmon and cream cheese.  

That all sounds a bit decadent now that I see it written down.  Hmmm. 

I dont spend much money of clothes or shoes or makeup, but I love my food so I spend a bit more money to be able to eat food that I really enjoy.  I hope some of that is useful to you, sorry for the long post, I do tend to ramble on a bit. :D  

Keep us updated on how you get on and if you start to see progress. :)  

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously