• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

IslandGirl_Becks

Yeast infection survival

12 posts in this topic

Hey ladies, 

Any tips for getting over or just getting through a yeast infection? 

Tips my OB/GYN gave me:

Wear 100% cotton underwear

Use monistat-7. The one and 3 days only masks it, doesn't actually cure it. And go all 7 days

1 person likes this

Ouch, sympathy. 

I am weirdly lucky in that while I've had tinea versicolor (think athlete's foot only not on your foot - in my case, on most of my chest and back) and athletes foot several times, I've never had a yeast infection. 

Only thing I can say that I've heard is: See if you can see a gyno if it's stubborn and not responding to OTC stuff, and stop douching if you do - every gyn I've met says it makes you prone to them. 

1 person likes this

The strain of yeast that plagued me for over a year did not respond to Diflucan or Monistat. A doctor recommended I use boric acid in a dissolving veg capsule for 7 consecutive nights. I made the capsules myself and put it in before bed. When the capsule dissolves, it makes a bit of a mess, which is why it is best to put it in at bed time and wear a pantyliner during the day. It burns a little, but not as much as the Monistat.

Don't be alarmed by the packaging- this stuff is safe to use in a capsule in the vagina and was recommended to me by a doctor. Boric Acid will only kill yeast and spare the good bacteria that can help fight off future yeast overgrowth in the future. After about 3 treatments (I would get yeast infections monthly right before my period when progesterone was high), I have not had to use it in a year (knock on wood).

https://www.amazon.com/HUMCO-HOLDING-GROUP-Boric-Powder/dp/B001V9WY0S

Do not engage in sexual activity while using the capsules and possibly for a day or two after the last capsule is inserted. Boric acid is toxic to ingest via mouth, so I would wait extra time if you engage in oral sex.

Hope this helps.

I drink kefir, which doesn't necessarily "cure" but instead keeps everything in balance to prevent further infections. My gyno told me that I did/do have a super un-fun strain of yeast that could cause problems, but I haven't had anything​ unusual since I started drinking kefir every day. (And not even a lot. I basically do a shot.)

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, mmsforbreakfast said:

I drink kefir, which doesn't necessarily "cure" but instead keeps everything in balance to prevent further infections. My gyno told me that I did/do have a super un-fun strain of yeast that could cause problems, but I haven't had anything unusual since I started drinking kefir every day. (And not even a lot. I basically do a shot.)

Yum! I love kombucha, too!

Yum! I love kombucha, too!

Funny enough, I've never actually had kombucha. Took me a good while before I figured out it wasn't, like, a vegetable. What exactly is it meant to be? An energy drink? Juice? Tea? I'm def open to trying it

3 hours ago, mmsforbreakfast said:

Funny enough, I've never actually had kombucha. Took me a good while before I figured out it wasn't, like, a vegetable. What exactly is it meant to be? An energy drink? Juice? Tea? I'm def open to trying it

Kombucha is a fermented tea packed with probiotics and B vitamins (think sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, these are other fermented foods with similar benefits). Kombucha is made by combining a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) with sweet tea. The SCOBY sits in the sweet tea for about 2 weeks. During that time, the culture eats the caffeine and the sugar in the tea. The result is a tart, effervescent beverage packed full of good bacteria (which helps me keep my gut and vaginal yeast balance in order) and b-vitamins. There is a very small amount of sugar (less than 2g) and no caffeine in kombucha.

I make me own at home because we go through it so quickly, but if you are curious, I would recommend trying GTs kombucha mixed with fruit. My favorite flavors are strawberry, blueberry, mango (has a bit more sugar), and lavender. 

On 3/27/2017 at 0:27 PM, mmsforbreakfast said:

I drink kefir, which doesn't necessarily "cure" but instead keeps everything in balance to prevent further infections. My gyno told me that I did/do have a super un-fun strain of yeast that could cause problems, but I haven't had anything unusual since I started drinking kefir every day. (And not even a lot. I basically do a shot.)

This is good to know! I have a strain that is also too strong for Diflucan, will start up with some kefir shots... I've never had kefir before though, which kind do you drink? And is it really... fermented-tasting? I don't like fermented tasting things like kombucha or even kimchi.

This is good to know! I have a strain that is also too strong for Diflucan, will start up with some kefir shots... I've never had kefir before though, which kind do you drink? And is it really... fermented-tasting? I don't like fermented tasting things like kombucha or even kimchi.

It's fizzy, but very light (not as bubbly as soda or even beer). I drink the strawberry flavour that Lifeway makes, but I can also vouch for the strawberry one from Trader Joe's. The texture is that of drinkable yogurt and the two brands I just mentioned are pleasantly sweet without being overwhelming. Hope that helps!

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, mmsforbreakfast said:

It's fizzy, but very light (not as bubbly as soda or even beer). I drink the strawberry flavour that Lifeway makes, but I can also vouch for the strawberry one from Trader Joe's. The texture is that of drinkable yogurt and the two brands I just mentioned are pleasantly sweet without being overwhelming. Hope that helps!

Thank you, that sounds encouraging to me! I will pick some up this week :)

1 person likes this

This thread has been silent for a while, but I am evangelical about my yeast infection cure.

I had an infection for seriously like three months and the gyno was done with me. Then I stopped eating straight white sugar. I used to put it in cereal and in my tea and once I stopped that, my yeast infection went away FOREVER.