Another challenge is here and once again I'm building it around my mindfulness practice. I decided that for 2017 I'm renewing my commitment to my practice of Soto Zen Buddhism, which has been on and off for about a decade now. The practice centers on daily zazen (sitting meditation) and mindfulness practice throughout the day. This practice has in recent months been helping me re-center and rebuild my life and has proven effective with controlling my mood and depression, hunger, and is currently helping me reduce caffeine and alcohol consumption. Plus it is really helping me better appreciate every moment and live more fully.

I have two goals for the year related to this. The first is to explore the different Sanghas (buddhist communities/churches) in/near Indy. The second is to go to a seshin (meditation retreat) which is usually 3-5 days of just meditation, work, eating, and sleeping.

So this challenge is about improving my zazen practice and endurance, and using mindfulness to improve my health, fitness, and life in general.

Goal 1: Zazen

Sit in "lotus" or seiza for meals at home.

Spending more time in a criss legged sitting posture should help me increase my flexibility and endurance in zazen.

I also need to:

Maintain daily zazen practice (@least 10 min)

Do stretches before zazen

Do one long session (40+ min) once a week

Side quests:

Caffeine causes scatterbrainededness, and alcohol diminishes awareness. So...

1) No caffeine for 30 days

2) No alcohol for 30 days

These will be ongoing, resetting after failure until I achieve all 30 days on both.

Reward: I'll buy a French press for single servings of coffee afterward.

Goal 2: Nutrition

Here are some dietary observations I've accumulated.

Meat: Makes emotions more intense, especially red meat. To little interferes with sleep. I need to experiment more with fish.

Grains: wheat/gluten are fine, a are oats and rice. Barley and rye cause bloat/gas/discomfort.

Dairy: Milk and lots of whey/milk protein causes gas/bloat/discomfort. Eating high quantities of dairy send to cause mild seeking and mucus formation in the throat and nasal passes and overall puffiness.

Soy: Is fine with me.

Legumes: canned and pressure cooked are fine, but otherwise cause gas/bloat/discomfort.

Nuts/sees: limit to small handfuls. To much causes constipation and bloat. Peanuts are mildly irritating.

Tubers: white potatoes cause more fullness but are mildly irritating. Sweet potatoes do not.

Sugar: Every time i eat a sugary snack/soda/candy/dessert i feel fatter at the end of the day. Literally, my stomach seems fuller and more jiggly.

In light odd these observations I'll focus on the challenges that are most difficult to surmount.

Track meat consumption vs. sleep quality

I'll just be jotting firm days i eat meat on my calendar and noting my sleep quality each morning.

Limit dairy and sugar

I'm going to make conscious decisions to not consume or substitute these in various recipes.

Eat more root vegetables

Eat a tuber everyday. Replace some carbs with more tuber veggies. Buy more fresh tubers at the store, and try new ones out ones I've not had in a while.

Goal 3, Exercise:

Break a Sweat 6 days per week.

Barbell, treadmill, kettlebell, bodyweight... 30 min., 20 min., 5 min.?

No matter. Just break a sweat.

I also want to go to the actual gym at least once a week, i am paying for membership after all.

LUYL_1: Manage finances

Spend one hour a week with my mind on my money.

Making spreadsheets, planning a budget, going through receipts, clip coupons, read about saving and paying off debt, retirement plans, investments. Whatever. One hour.

I currently don't really think about money until there's a problem... and that's why I'm in debt and living paycheck to paycheck.

Sidequest: have enough extra cash lying around at the end of cheyenne to buy a cable modem and wifi router.

LUYL_2: Art

Paint and complete at last one painting each week.

Grading:

Basically I've got my dry erase board calendar set up. Every time I do a thing for a goal, including side quests etc. I make a doodle or dot on the calendar. If the calendar is reasonably congested with squiggles and dots while i contemplate the progress I've made and the challenges i faced during the 1+4 weeks... Cool. If it's empty, not cool.

• Like 9

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Hey dude. I've sucked at following your challenges for a few months. Here to try to do better. The new apartment work out well?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

6 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Hey dude. I've sucked at following your challenges for a few months. Here to try to do better. The new apartment work out well?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No problem. I haven't followed one of yours for a while either. I think i just see your posts elsewhere and think I'm following or something.

New apartment is good. It still needs a furniture and a few other things, but I don't have parents here so it's good.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Lots of goaaaals. Lots of progress to tackle. Very exciting. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Lunch:

20170313_122548_zpsaj3r219h.jpg

As you can see I ate my chipotle veggie sausage, potatoes (tubers), cabbage, and queso fresco while sitting on my zafu at a tiny table.

So two goal thingies down there. But i could've skipped the queso.

I haven't eaten meat since Saturday. Sleep it's fine so far.

I did 20 min if zazen after stretching out a bit.

Today is my first day without caffeine... The headache sucks. I tried drinking mint tea to convince myself that I'm drinking tea hoping it would help psychologically... Nope.

No workout today.

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

Sounds like a great challenge for nourishing your Earth element. :barbershop_quartet_

Cool words about meditation. It seens like something that one has to trust the process with and it'll work out fine.

You gotta share a photo if your dry erase board!  

Enjoy your challenge! 

• Like 1

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

16 hours ago, Leimanu said:

Sounds like a great challenge for nourishing your Earth element. :barbershop_quartet_

Cool words about meditation. It seens like something that one has to trust the process with and it'll work out fine.

You gotta share a photo if your dry erase board!  

Enjoy your challenge! 

Root veggies and meditation... Its all about connecting with the earth and seeking balance. As usual we're oddly on a similar page.

With meditation, part of it is trust, but really, its practice. You have to be patient and learn and teach yourself to work with your thoughts and feelings in order to let them go/pass.

I need more markers.

4 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Kudos to you man for doing the no caffeine thing. I have yet to suck it up and try that. 

I'm on day two...

I take back all the things I said last challenge. I want to destroy something right now... except I'm really tired and don't feel like putting forth the the effort. But yesterday I felt worse. Idk.

3 hours ago, Rolling Stoney said:

Following. :)

Welcome.

--Stronkey Kong--

So... 

I finally got a new phone, a galaxy s7 edge.  Already I love it cuz the keyboard is way nicer and it suggests words as I go so my swipes spurt fewer nonsense words. Though this thrills me because my s2 was a fucking dinosaur... I'm gonna have to figure out how to add curse words to the dictionary again. 

Okay,  now I need to figure out how many eggs will fit in a nine inch pie crust. 

There will be food pr0n soon. 

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

38 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What is, "the number of eggs in that quiche?"

Aye.

Tho it's probably not technically a quiche. It's just a bunch of fucking eggs and some cheese baked in a pie crust.

20170314_184748_zpssq2lbmwi.jpg

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

Zazen: just barely squeaked it in a few minutes ago. 

Nutrition: I doubt I've had even 2000 calories today... and I ate a while pizza for a late lunch/early dinner.  I slept too late skipped breakfast and with all the running around I did... new phone, oil change,  grocery shopping  (the first two being mostly sitting and waiting for people to do shit) ... I was really crunched for time to get shit done at home.  But as you see I baked a breakfast "quiche" for the week, and I got pasta and veggie sausage batched out. I didn't eat a root,  but I bought a bunch of rutabaga, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and turnips. I also downloaded the sleep cycle tracking app I used to use so I can track my sleep quality along with my meat consumption. 

Also,  I think the misery I was blaming the lack of caffeine on may have been just dehydration and hunger...so... hope lives.  We'll see how I feel about that when I roll up to work at 6:15 in the morning. 

I also started a spreadsheet for expenses this weekend. So my financial thing for next weekend will be to add all my debits and credits from my last paycheck. 

I also made a painting this weekend,  but only one.  I remember starting a second but I was not liking it so I deleted it. 

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I also started a spreadsheet for expenses this weekend. So my financial thing for next weekend will be to add all my debits and credits from my last paycheck. 

spreadsheets and budgets are seriously THE BEST 

I spreadsheet TF out of my budget

I have one tab that is my rolling budget. bank balance at the top, then income, then expenses, and then balance at the bottom. so I know two months out how much money I will have.

then I have a tab for spending money per paycheck (gas, groceries, and fun money) so I can plan what I want to use my fun money for. basically it just gives me a snapshot from month to month of what I have used my spending money FOR. so i know if restaurant food or gym clothing is getting out of control. 

then I have one tab that's just a general yearly snapshot of my budget to estimate how much out of each paycheck I can allocate to savings, debt pay off, and other non-bill money. because I get paid every other week not twice a month and my bills are monthly. i.e. I have 26 paychecks not 24, but 12 monthly bills, I have to math out the balance. 

And then one tab for projecting seasonal changes in my energy bills. 

every dollar gets allocated because I'd like to be debt free one day.... #studentloanlife 

2b6122ed-6a0c-4884-9c47-fbc6a28ff6e3.gif

• Like 3

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }