Sorry to disappoint.  You know I rarely do this.  But after the last couple days of trying out my goals I'm changing them.

I'm just going to streamline things a bit.  The first post was based in a word doc I wrote or on that day where I had two full cups of Turkish coffee,  hence I have 12 goals for each goal...

Here are the new ones:

Goal 1, maintain daily zazen practice.  At least 10 minutes everyday. And keep track of the count. 

Goal 2, no caffeine for thirty days. Track the number of days.

Goal 3, Bear complex everyday.  Add 1 complex rep each day. 

Goal 4, Do a stretch routine to improve lotus pose twice/week. 

Goal 5, Track days without meat vs sleep quality.

LUYL 1, Spend 1 hour per week managing finances. 

LUYL 2, Start and finish at least 1 painting each week. 

• Like 2

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Week 0, day 4

Today I did 15 minutes is zazen for the 29th consecutive day.

3 days without caffeine

I did 10 bear complexes today (65#)

I have done no stretches for Lotus pose this week.

I have gone 4 days without meat and last night's sleep quality was 67%.

I spent 30 min managing my finances last weekend.

I completed one painting. 

• Like 2

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Extracurricular stuff:

Dinner:

20170315_185748_zpseeqh6tik.jpg

Tofu and turnips in beef broth with Ramen noodles seasoned with garlic, ginger, and (of course) Sriracha. 

I forgot to mention I found a scale over the weekend and I was at 257#. Last I remember weighing in I was like 264 give or take. 

I haven't gossiped about work people lately cuz it's been boring, but Bulldog got fired this week. Crazy. Basically he was caught cheating at counting. 

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Which one was bulldog? The only one I remember clearly was Jib-Jab.

A refresher from the December challenge. 

Cast of Characters

Alias              Personality Defect(s)                                          Description

"T"                 Control Freak, Delusions of Mediocrity          Male, 50-ish, thinks he's the "foreman" of our crew / managment material

even though he is so not, He's actually a pretty nice

guy, but he always overreacts, whines and stirs a lot of shit.

"Bulldog"      Looks like a bulldog, tough to read                 Male, 40's, quiet, maybe a tiny bit of subdued small-man syndrome/Napoleon

complex, often the target of T's drama

"S"                 Chronically tired and grumpy                           Male, late 20's, he's tired because he stays up late playing video games. I nerd

with him about games, books, and movies sometimes

"Jib-Jab"      Doesn't shut the fuck up                                    Male, damn near 60, baby boomer who thinks he's still 15, tells terrible jokes,

repeats same stories over and over and gawks at every female in the warehouse

"Smelly"        Is smelly                                                              Female, 30's?, Nice personality, good sense of humour and I kinda feel bad

calling her smelly, but has a massive B.O. problem and can be a sloppy

worker (she's the one I was annoyed with today

I would also add that T takes every chance he gets not to work and rarely comes in any more.

And we have since seen many incidences where jibjab's diabetes has gotten the better of him. 

And smelly could also easily be called sleepy. 

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

Cubist dinner. I like the goal tweaks. That's what zero week is forrrr. 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Week 0, Day 5

I did fifteen minutes of zazen this morning for my 30th consecutive day. 

I have not consumed any caffeine for four days. 

Today I did eleven (maybe twelve) bear complexes (65# sets of 5, 6).

I have only been doing pre zazen lotus stretches. 

I have not consumed meat for five days and last night my sleep quality was a 3/5.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think it's totally legit to change your goals. Better to change your goals and have them be the ones you want than to spend 5 weeks working on ones that aren't exactly what your heart wants. 

Did you not read that post with a sarcastic tone?

Or am I supposed to be reading yours with one?

Left leaning italics needs to be a thing. 

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

Some other stuff...

Last night I had just dozed off into a wonderful deep sleep.  Then my phone started making a piercing alarm type noise. I woke up,  check the phone accidentally shutting off my sleep tracker/alarm app.  The nose speed so I just muttered WTF and reset the alarm app and went back to sleep,  now trying fitfully to doze off because now in a little stressed.  Half an hour later again.  WTF. Then again after another half hour.  I conclude somehow is the sleep app,  so I shut it off and delete it from my phone. Doesn't happen again.

Seriously?! A sleep app that causes your phone to make random piecing alarm sounds.  And they charge $30 for the premium version. 

Then I woke up like twice and had this weird dream where bumble bees were stinging me in the face, especially the eyes and ears. They felt like wooly bear caterpillars when I pulled them off. 

I'm trying a new sleep app tonight,  hopefully it doesn't suck.  Otherwise I'll just rate my sleep on a 0-5 scale. 

Also my quads and shoulders were sore all day, just from those 10 bear complexes.  Doing 11 today was easy tho.  I think this is a good way to ease back into the workout groove.  Plus it's a quick and effective workout that hits all the major muscles, especially once I get past 20 reps/day. Eventually I'm gonna start trying to cram in volume/time.

And life without caffeine is starting to get pretty good. It's actually easier to get up in the morning without that crutch, and I have fewer crazy thoughts to sort out,  I stay fairly mindful and calm. 

I so miss the tasteand smell of coffee tho. I might have to get some decaf this weekend so I can just experience coffee flavor.  Also having something warm to drink in the car on a cold morning is nice.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

3 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I so miss the tasteand smell of coffee tho. I might have to get some decaf this weekend so I can just experience coffee flavor.  Also having something warm to drink in the car on a cold morning is nice.

I've always said if I have to give up caffeine I will still drink decaf.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week 0, Day 6

I did fifteen minutes of zazen for the 31st consecutive day. 

I accidentally condoned 63 mg of caffeine today. Otherwise it would have been 5 days without caffeine.  For redemption I will add one day to the thirty... since it was an accident and a small amount and I really don't want to start over for unintentional consumption. 

I did 12 (65# 2 (6)) bear complexes. 

I did my pre zazen lotus stretches only. 

I have not eaten meat in 6 days and my sleep quality is at 73%.

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

I just pulled this out of the oven:

20170317_191356_zps1hswdqbb.jpg

Another egg pie but only eight eggs and a pouch of veggie chorizo a cup of cheddar and broccoli.  Each quarter had 710 calories and 56 grams of protein.

20170317_192103_zpsxylhqsi6.jpg

This will be how I start my days for a while. Tasting the first bites now.  Yes.  I did good. 

The new sleep app worked well.  It gives me the data I need to track, and it wakes me up at optimal points in my sleep cycle. Hopefully it performs just as well tonight and into the future. 

Nutritionally I'm thinking mini bulk to get my metabolism up.  As I add more bear complexes on top of work I'm going to need to rebuild and refuel so upping my intakes of cals and pro should help there.  Then I'll move back to the cutting mindset in a couple weeks. I'm gonna hold off from meat for one more day.  Then Sunday my mom is starting monthly family dinners. I haven't heard back lately but I'm betting she is making corned beef and cabbage since it's St Patrick's day weekend. So that'll be a good way to break the meatlessness. Then I think I might return to once a day.

Meditation and mindfulness are kinda just humming along but lately I'm not feeling like practice is getting me anywhere and it seems tougher to maintain deep concentration in zazen. That could be good in a way.  It may mean things are good and stable right now.  Zazen and mindfulness, I think,  show their usefulness when life's storms hit, when you have things you need to let go of or get through. So it might seem like I can slack off, I've been here before about a month into a regular practice and that's where I slip and lose it. Not this time. I'm still gonna keep at it cuz somethings always lurking around the corner. 

Happy St . Patrick's day nerds! Enjoy your hangovers, I'll be up at 4am.

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

Week 0, Day 7

I did 15 minutes of zazen this morning. This was my 32nd consecutive day. This week was also the first that I've gotten up early enough all four days of my work week to do it in the morning. 

I have gone 6 days without (intentionally consuming) caffeine. 

Today I did 13 bear complexes: 65# 8, 5. I have decided that when a day demands a prime number I must honor that by trying to do them all in one set. I did this today but I was starting to feel the fatigue on rep 8.

I have only done pre zazen lotus stretches. 

I have gone 7 days without meat and my sleep quality was 4/5 last night... sigh. The new app was making the beeping sounds last night. I'll give it another shot tonight but this is frustrating. 

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

Breakfast today:

20170319_091821_zpstvbhq86w.jpg

French toast,  veggie sausage, and parsnips. I sprinkled brown sugar and cinnamon on pretty much everything.

I'm adding another goal. I need to fix this:

20170319_113909_zpsrdlaj3ut.jpg

And this:

20170319_113928_zpsotmnk8ww.jpg

And start paying them again regularly. So I tried to post this story up on my last challenge,  or maybe the one before that, but I had browser issues and it didn't post and wasn't saved.  Jibjab's and a couple of other guys at work play.  We've got a drummer, and three guitarists any of whom can play bass when needed. 

Characters Alias; character defect; description

"B"; asshole; drummer/singer,  swears a lot,  wheres scrubs to work every day for no apparent reason

"L"; has a ponytail; virtuoso lead guitarist, laid back guy, has his own recording studio

We all gathered at jibjab's and played some songs:

Runnin down a dream  -Petty

For the love of god -Steve Vai

Highway star- deep purple

Bad motor scooter -Montrose

Mama I'm comin home -ozzy

Enter sandman - Metallica

Most of the day,  jibjab kept complaining that the songs were too hard except for the first one which he suggested, and was screwing up left and right  The last one B, L, and I just pulled out of our asses from memory at the last minute (and I was on bass at this point) while jibjab was staving off a blood sugar crisis by eating cookies and trying to get his dog to stop barking. 

That was over a month ago and jibjab kept complaining about the difficulty of the songs in future attempts to reassemble the group. Meanwhile I have been invited to play with B and L at the studio. I just have to fix my guitars and learn a couple more songs. 

War Pigs - black sabbath

Highway star- deep purple 

I mostly tried to follow on HS the first time since I didn't know it, and never practiced it.

So there's another LUYL goal. 

Fix guitars,  and learn new songs. 

I've already ordered the parts and some sheet music for war pigs... that whole album actually cuz there's a few other songs I want to learn.

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--

Week 1, Day 1

I did fifteen minutes of zazen today. That's 33 in a row. 

Today was day 7, one week, without caffeine. I bought some decaf coffee at the store today.

I did 14 bear complexes.  14 is divisible by 2 and 7 so I did 2 sets of 7.

I have still only done pre zazen lotus stretches. 

Today I ate meat for the first time in eight days.  Last night's sleep quality was 93%. My app worked last night with no problems.  I've narrowed the beeping problem down to either placing my phone too far away or to near the edge... maybe it beeps if it can't collect data... or because I'm using too much RAM and need to close other apps. This is more likely because it beeps when I'm not using the sleep app actively,then I start closing whatever I can to make it so and it stops. 

I got the acoustic all fixed up.  It just needed new strings and some cleaning and polishing. The parts coming are mostly for the strat. It needs a new nut, where the strings rest at the top of the neck,  a new output jack, and I'm replacing the screws on the scratchplate because they are all rusty. Then new strings. Easy stuff. 

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

4 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Today I ate meat for the first time in eight days.  Last night's sleep quality was 93%. My app worked last night with no problems.

Looks like even your phone likes it when you eat meat ;) 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Looks like even your phone likes it when you eat meat ;) 

That sleep was still vegetarian sleep. It could be they after a week of all veggie protein ice adjusted.  Tonight will be the real test. Then we'll have to see how the week plays out as I go back to veggie sausages and tofuand whether my sleep quality stats to decline again. 

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

I have so many Qs. How does the sleep app work? How do you accidentally consume caffeine? Do you use MFP? 

I ask about MFP because per my doc I have to start eating more vegetarian based proteins. And I'm curious how your protein stacks up from various sources. I was once vegetarian for 10 years so I have no issues with doing this, but I was never counting my proteins back then. I'm definitely going to get some of that veg sausage for breakfast this coming weekend. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

1 hour ago, Haikoo said:

The weird phone sound...are you sure it wasn't an Amber Alert? Those things have woken me up a few times before I finally went into my phone settings and made it stop making sounds on emergencies.

That was the first thing I checked... severe weather or amber alert.  It's a different sound tho. More piercing and less horn-like. It seems to happen when I have lots of shit open on my phone. 

--Stronkey Kong--

35 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I have so many Qs. How does the sleep app work? How do you accidentally consume caffeine? Do you use MFP? 

I ask about MFP because per my doc I have to start eating more vegetarian based proteins. And I'm curious how your protein stacks up from various sources. I was once vegetarian for 10 years so I have no issues with doing this, but I was never counting my proteins back then. I'm definitely going to get some of that veg sausage for breakfast this coming weekend. 

The sleep app measures how much movement occurs while you sleep using your phone's accelerometer. That's why you put it on the bed next to you or nearby. 

Re accidental caffeine.  I had a soda that I thought was caffeine free. It was a big red cream soda. I was avoiding the mtdew, coke and dr Pepper purposely,  but never thought that a cream soda would have caffeine.  Sneaky bast Ardsley.

I haven't been using map lately.  I used to depend on it. Mostly now I just read the labels for cals and protein. Since I batch cook a lot, and eat a lot of the same things day after day is easy to check once and know what I'm getting daily. 

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

Oh yeah! There's also that third guitar...

20170320_185105_zpsxz90codk.jpg

I completely forgot about it because I literally haven't touched it in... 8 years? Maybe 10?

And that's because I thought there was a problem with it that was irreparable in my hands. Nope. It needed a new output jack.  I thought the tremolo system was busted but no. I just cleaned it up,  put new strings in it... it took me nearly two hours to tune it properly...then soldered in a new jackusing one I just had laying around.

Good as new. Plays well.  I've missed playing this one.  But my strat is still my favorite. 

That's how I spent the bulk of my day. 

• Like 5

--Stronkey Kong--

Week 1, Day 2

I did my usual 15 minutes of zazen today. That's 33 days in a row. 

I drank a whole pot of coffee today... but it was decaf. So that's 8 days without caffeine. 

I did 5(3)=15 bear complexes today. These are feeling at easier in terms of strength and power.  Higher reps might still get to me tho.  Tomorrow is 16 so I'll shoot for 2(8), then 17 is prime so it's all out,  as few sets as possible. 

I meant to do a long stretch session today,  but didn't because I didn't think it would take two hours to tune one guitar. I am noticing better stretchiness in my knees and good thanks to the daily stretch routine.

Today was the first day back on vegetarian. Last night's sleep was 79%. The app reports it as efficiency instead of quality. I spent most is the half hour wake up period snoozing,  so awake but laying in bed,  and I think that adds to the rating. Total deja vu. I feel like I typed nearly the same sentence a few years ago when I was first testing out the other app I used. 

Regarding what I ate today... yesterday was family dinner at mom's, and she made tacos.  I made some mexican rice and my sister brings like three bags of tortilla chips with salsa and queso. The result is I left there with a bag of chips and a pint  (nearly,  maybe 12oz., a lot) of queso and salsa each.  So guess what I ate all day. The math is not hard on this one. Dinner was just veggies and veggie sausage.  Breakfast was just cereal. 

Tomorrow I need to paint something, and do my financial shit, and stretch those hip and knee ligaments. And it's been two weeks since I did a long zazen session so I'll try to squeeze in a 45 min one. 

• Like 3

--Stronkey Kong--