Sigh. 

I made it to 44 days of zazen in a row.:)

Then realized first thing this morning that I forgot to do it yesterday.  

Sigh. Now I'm back to zero. :(

But aiming for 45 in a row. :)

Still proud that I was able to do zazen,  or anything,  44 days in a row. 

My caffeine goal is still going.  I'm at 20 days now. 

And I'm totally eating some meat today. 

• Like 6

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

I just calculated average sleep efficiency for the first and second week with no meat separately. 

Week 1: 79.0%

Week 2: 78.7%

Clearly this is evidence that vegetarianism interferes with sleep over the long run and I must now eat most of a cow. *

I will be eating meat** almost every day this week so I'll still be tracking and seeing what happens.  The week prior to my last meat meal was almost entirely vegetarian so we'll see if more consistent meat eating has any effect. 

*kidding

**chicken

• Like 3

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Food pr0n:

Last night's chicken stir fry

20170402_180603_zpscayg4skd.jpg

I added a couple table spoons of roasted garlic rice wine vinegar to the rice. Makes it super delicious.

This morning I made an omelet:

20170403_104233_zpsmeq6y2mp.jpg

Is stuffed with tomato,  olives,  cheese (six cheese Italian blend), and chopped walnuts.

Then some oatmeal on the side:

20170403_104237_zpss8obextf.jpg

With brown sugar/cinnamon, chopped walnuts, butter and almond milk. 

• Like 5

--Stronkey Kong--

Roast garlic rice vinegar? That sounds awesome. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I really should not read the forums on my lunch break until I have actually eaten. This all looks so delicious!!!!

I need one of your omelettes stat. What is in there besides tomato and green pepper? 

You also need to read the forums and not just drool over the photos :P

I listed the ingredients below the photo. 

• Like 1

--Stronkey Kong--

i think i clicked on your signature's "current challenge" twice trying to find you.

don't worry, my sleuthing skills are vast and I made it!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

13 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i think i clicked on your signature's "current challenge" twice trying to find you.

don't worry, my sleuthing skills are vast and I made it!

Yeah beware of that. I tend only to update that every 3 or 4 challenges.

--Stronkey Kong--

Food pr0n

20170404_171854_zps3yppdlpn.jpg

Bison ribeye steak with caramelized onions and Ramen noodles in spicy gravy.

I still haven't gotten back on the zazen wagon just yet. The reason had been playing games on my phone... also why other stuff. I actually read the email Steve sent out a couple days ago about the really addicting game he was playing. Immediately I downloaded it, played the shit out of it while neglecting goals, the cleaning and shopping and even guitar playing.

This afternoon I deleted all the games from my phone. Except one, it's pretty slow and would be boring since I beat all the free levels already ... so I'll just keep that one for whenever I'm stuck in a lobby somewhere

Now I can't get those hours back, but I can get the present moment back.

From now on I wake up, do my stretches, then sit in zazen for 15 min.

Last night I got six hours of sleep at 95% efficiency... I didn't wake up at all last night. I usually do once in the middle is the night and fall right back to sleep. And I didn't snooze a lot or oversleep, which I tend to do on my weekends. I haven't gotten 95 yet with vegetarianism so maybe I was onto something after all. Well have to see how the trend goes the next couple weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Addit:

I forgot to mention caffeine. Sigh. I was reading about decaf coffee... I knew from the start that it wasn't 100% decaffeinated... but there still 12-13 mg in a pint, and I'll easily drink 2-4 pints/day on my weekend. Meaning I'm still pulling in about 25-50mg on those days... a cup of green tea, but spread out. I really meant this to be none at all, but here we are.

I'm not starting over because of this just giving full disclosure. Also it's not enough caffeine that I notice a difference in how I feel with or without. I usually drink no coffee on work days. I have noticed a tiny perk after drinking it but I just chalked it up to the deliciousness of coffee. Idk.

But let's not get any worse. I'll keep it to no more than 50 mg / day, and under 15 in an hour.

I'm at 23 days, just 8 to go (because of that accidental ingestion a couple weeks ago).

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

That Bison Ribeye looks amazing.

It was. I've had Bison burgers before, but not steak. It was very lean, but still very tender and delicious. No marbling, but there was plenty of subcutaneous fat to add flavor. I just seared it, then seasoned it with a little garlic, salt, and pepper, then cooked it on med/low heat with the onions. It came out well done, but properly well done. Cooked all the way through but tender and juicy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

I did my zazen and stretches first thing this morning.  So back to 1.

I'm about a third through IASWF. Mostly review of the science, but it's kinda motivating. But then every diet book is like this. 

Should I do this? 

Can I afford it?

Do I really buy into it (the hype)? (meh, it's a 30 day experiment)

• Like 2

--Stronkey Kong--

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I did my zazen and stretches first thing this morning.  So back to 1.

I'm about a third through IASWF. Mostly review of the science, but it's kinda motivating. But then every diet book is like this. 

Should I do this? 

Can I afford it?

Do I really buy into it (the hype)? (meh, it's a 30 day experiment)

I think it's an interesting 30 day experiment to challenge your relationship with food, but not a lifestyle. 

I listened to a podcast yesterday with the woman behind Stupid Easy Paleo and even she says that she hates the word paleo and these other fad diets (like Whole 30). and the idea is to eat whole foods and even she eats things like corn and rice because as an athlete her body needs the complex carbs and they don't make her feel like crap. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

$$$

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

19 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think it's an interesting 30 day experiment to challenge your relationship with food, but not a lifestyle. 

I listened to a podcast yesterday with the woman behind Stupid Easy Paleo and even she says that she hates the word paleo and these other fad diets (like Whole 30). and the idea is to eat whole foods and even she eats things like corn and rice because as an athlete her body needs the complex carbs and they don't make her feel like crap. 

Yeah.  I'm not sure I'd be 100% paleo after.  I feel like I'm convinced that my body is okay with soy and wheat and most grains. Legumes not so much. But even those have to be processed in certain ways. Sugar needs to go. But if doing whole 30 gives me a good reset and a good baseline,  I might be able to experiment more. 

I may be just seduced by the claims of the whole 30/paleo crowd. The science, the biochemistry at least,  seems to be there. But veggie nuts also have their science and anecdotal diet health miracles. 

(Imma bat signal@miss_marissa here and see if she'll comment on or cross post her whole 30 story)

I see no problem with filing my fridge with delicious meat and vegetables and some fruit, and living on those for a month. I may not need the carbs since I barely lift anymore. And I'm fine with that since I at least move at work. 

I'm looking for a good reset. Going veggie didn't really do it. Cutting caffeine was a big step in the right direction. I'm really chasing the neurotransmitter/hormonal recalibration. And that's what is supposed to happen. 

BTW. The verdict is still out there,  but so far this week I'm feeling that adding meat back in,  in my current state,  is messing with my sleep in possibly good and bad ways. 

First,  I seem to get into a deeper sleep and stay there according to my sleep app...

Second,  but it's harder to get up in the morning...

Third... unless I wake during a very well timed break in my sleep cycle, very close to the end of a 90 minute interval and I don't oversleep. 

Remember Monday night, I got exactly six hours of sleep and felt fine on Tuesday. Last night I went to sleep at 9 and I woke up at three, wide awake. But when I realized i had another hour,  I snoozed and half slept until 4:30. And I felt shifty all day today.  Yesterday I just forced myself up at 4 and I felt okay until the end of the day.

So I might be getting deeper more recuperative sleep,  but I can't interrupt my sleep rhythm easily. I may even need less sleep. 

Already,  four days of meat consumption shows I'm at a better average sleep efficiency. But I want at least two weeks before I try to conclude anything. 

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

Dinner:

20170408_202432_zpsbvshugkm.jpg

Dry braised chicken with creole seasoning and a salad. 

This is what whole 30 meals are supposed to look like.  I can do this for thirty days. It's really just like how I ate for keto, but I can have starchy veggies and fruit if I like.

So I'm doing it. This coming week will be a practice week while I finish off the perishable non paleo foods in my fridge,  and I think there's only a half gallon of milk and a few bricks of tofu. I've already cleared out the non perishable stuff, the bags of beans and rice, sugar etc and put them in a box in the closet. Then there are some condiments contesting sugar and crap,  but I moved those to the bottom shelf of the fridge door.

Dude... Sriracha is out :( it has sugar in it.

I'm actually going to make it more restrictive by excluding a few other types of foods that I suspect might cause me some issues: red meat, night shades (tomatoes, white potatoes,  and peppers etc.), and bananas. 

I'm gonna start the day after Easter. Easter is our next family dinner event, so I'll just eat whatever is cooked and deal with it and start on Monday. 

And I'm nearing the finishing line on my caffeine goal. Just four more days.

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--

I went paleo grocery shopping today. When I got home I promptly started making ghee.

20170409_180912_zps63xmsh2i.jpg

It's a little cloudy.  I probably should have cooked it longer, but hey,  first attempt. I then used it to cook dinner:

20170409_181805_zpsdrrl6jun.jpg

Two bratwurst, green beans, sweet potato, garden kraft, and some stone ground mustard. 

I bought the brats, kraut, and sweet potato yesterday at the little organic/local grocery store just down the street from me. Apparently,  Whole Foods knocked up a Seven Eleven and it's baby is reaping the mark up of both an organic grocery store and a convenience store. I got brats cuz they were the only reasonably priced meat. They were delicious tho. So was the kraut. The sweet potato was badly bruised. 

Today I had to help my parents move stuff into a POD. I can't remember if I updated on this but,  they lost their hearing to see is they can keep their chickens... so they're moving. They basically don't feel like they belong in that neighborhood.  They also keep bees and like to tap their maples, so they're moving further out into the country. 

After helping them out I went to Kroger and bought 25# of meat or so.  10# of chicken leg quarters, a 10# pork shoulder ($10, on sale), 1.5# ground Bison,  chicken livers,  and a giant rack of pork ribs... which are in the oven now.  The plan is to cook them up,  scrape all the meat off to use for lunch this week,  then use the bones for bone broth. I stocked up on coconut oil and frozen veggies too.

• Like 4

--Stronkey Kong--