Nina-Rose:: Strong Foundations [Climbing]

Nina-Rose

(Edited to include the amalgamated challenge ideas from phone/tablet/pc.)

I’m learning a lot from these challenges about what DOESN’T work for me, and what won’t motivate me. I’m going to re-simplify again. It seems that I need to really re-focus for a couple of months before I move ‘up’; I need to re-lay my foundations.

*** I am motivated to work on balance, agility and flexibility, and I need more energy. ***

Last month, I took the plunge and bought a 6-month student membership at my University gym. I’m only at Uni until end of May, so my next couple of challenges will focus on making use of it! Equally, life took over and I stopped tracking for the first time since June 16. I’m trying to be kind to myself and focus on moving forward.

While writing this, I noticed a lot of mental blocks to even ‘tracking healthy snack exchanges’ so I’m going to just… let myself not focus on food for tracking this month.

This month, I aim to:

* Log my extra exercise

* Complete my essay & 2 of my reflective accounts entirely (currently drafts)

* 3 workouts a week [2 sets of 3 exercises minimum]

* Go bouldering twice (13/3 done!)

I’m counting the week prior to this challenge as my one booked in bouldering session happens to be in the “break week” and I need to remember I get XP for it :) That means I need to go at least once more.

Week 0:
Workout:  1/3 

Gym: 1/2 

Work Deadlines: 0/3 

Log:  Y/N 

• Like 6

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

2022 Challenges: 14, 15
Old 4-week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

I'm back from my Bouldering Induction.

Things I Learned:
- I am not AS afraid of heights as I've always thought.
- Until I was asked to jump down from the top, and found I couldn't. 

- My wedding ring is designed for climbing; the serrated edge digging into my fingers and was not scratched at all by the holds. 

- My right arm is able to sustain my entire weight long enough for me to find a new hold... but hurts like hell. And I wish I hadn't just hung from it when my foot slipped mid hand-transfer...

- I don't mind 'going first' in front of 8 other beginners, until they show me up.

- The guy beside me was scared of heights he couldn't reach half-way before coming down, and this motivated me to reach the top even more, for some reason. 

- I could do the "level 0" and the "f2" level without problems, so think I should start with the f3-f4+ (VB - V0) route next time (this may make sense to someone else because I don't know what an 'f' or a 'v' is)

- One issue with bouldering is actually driving home: the steering wheel was uncomfortable to hold.

- One-hour-post-climb, my arms, wrists and hand ache a lot more than I thought they would. 

- My trainers do not have as much grip as I thought they did...

- Those trousers seriously needed a belt, but only once I was over half-way up the wall...

BoulderingRoutes.jpg.e549d3eda1ee8208a708ea49dc64958c.jpg

- Doing it straight after work was good. We shall see what works.

- I'm still trying to keep expectations light: I need to go on ONE of the following dates - 30 Mar, 31 Mar, 1 Apr, 2 Apr, 10 Apr. 

Those are all days I could go, based on the available schedule. Equally, it would be cool to make the most of it, and go twice out of those times if I can, leaving enough space to rest between days. But, expecting one, and I can move forward from there. I don't want to feel like a failure if my depression kicks in and stops me leaving the house.

So, all in all, excited and hurting.

Log 1: I completed 3 Beginner routes, 2 Easy routes and part of a Medium. Of those 5 routes completed, I completed 1 with both hands over the top of the wall, rather than on a finishing hold, and one hand on the top on 3 of the remaining 4. I did a couple of the beginner routes more than once, but equally tried 4 different 'beginner routes'. By then I'd pulled my right arm by slipping and realised I should have taken my rings off about 30 mins before, so headed home.

• Like 3

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

5 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Rock climbing is one of those things that looks really cool, and I'll think maybe it'd be fun to try, but then I remember that I'm terrified of heights so it's probably not for me... 

The guy who was scared of heights that I stayed close to could climb up half way, then back down but just could not jump off. The wall is only... 5-6 metres high, maybe, so it's not a major issue for my minor fear of heights... I think! Most routes focus on traversing sideways, around corners, up incline/slants and there's a 'cave/tunnel' to try climbing along a low wall; but when your feet slip off, you can touch the floor easily :)

• Like 2

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

Week 0, Day 2: 
Considering I'm in spasms of pain when I grip things (pick up a cup, even!), lift my arms, put my jumper on/off, tie my hair or type... it's been an okay day.

I don't think it would be wise to workout tomorrow, so giving myself permission to do yoga on Friday instead if I need to. It won't be too bad to just do 2 workouts this week if it stops me damaging something further.

We decided on "quick oven food" for dinner, so had some processed breaded chicken and chips, but I also did a baked sweet potato and kale chips with it, so it didn't feel quite so unhealthy :)

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

56 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Oh no! Sorry to hear your hands are not doing well the day after, but super congrats on going and getting so much done! I guess that means it was so fun that you didn't notice pushing your limits while doing it. Maybe time for a nice warm hand soak? 

I'm going to beg for a hand massage from my husband tomorrow if it still hurts this much :P I have been letting the hot water run over them more whenever I wash my hands, but it's as much about the pain my my forearms from using my hands that hurts the most!

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

10 hours ago, mmead0105 said:

I think it's SO essential learning what DOESN'T work for you. I've learned what doesn't work for me probably like once a week. Progress, not perfection! 

Following :)

Definitely! I seem to learn certain things and then kind of.. ignore that fact sometimes still! So sometimes I need to learn something two or three times :P

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

Technically, I should have worked out today. But I am taking codeine for pain so chose to have a heavy-protein day and 'rest'. Even as I sit here, I'm on the verge of tears from the shoulder-blade stretching pain so... yoga on friday is the current plan :)

• Like 2

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

:( Get better! And maybe a little more moderation the next time you go climbing... : )

Definitely. it's because I didn't warm up, I feel and the anxiety meant I slept badly/funny positions anyway.

I no know roughly what muscles will be affected so can warm-up much more efficiently I hope!

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

5 minutes ago, Nina-Rose said:

Definitely. it's because I didn't warm up, I feel and the anxiety meant I slept badly/funny positions anyway.

I no know roughly what muscles will be affected so can warm-up much more efficiently I hope!

Ugh, yeah it's rough when you can't get comfortable during rest too.  Hopefully the targeted warm up and yoga help!!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

46 minutes ago, Lilmissbri said:

Yikes!!! I'm sorry you're in so much pain.... :o/

It shall pass, I'm sure. Just a reminder to warm up even if no one seems to bother and the guy 'inducting' us didnt even mention removing jewellery/emptying pockets/warming up.. (I wore my wedding ring which left me with a blister, so lesson learned there too!)

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

Week 0, Day 4: Check In

- I helped my husband sand some wood by hand tonight; which definitely didn't help my wrists. but, we're working on our relationship a bit, so time together which happens to help me strength train is a win-win. Arms hurt now though, as the vice isn't actually that stable.

- I also watched some videos on grip, centre of gravity, how to 'flag' and positioning in bouldering, so I think I know why I broke my muscles in climbing, and what to do differently next time

- We had pizza for dinner, but we added white peppers, kabanossi, cheese and corn to make it a bit healthier. 

• Like 5

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

18 hours ago, Nina-Rose said:

- I helped my husband sand some wood by hand tonight; which definitely didn't help my wrists. but, we're working on our relationship a bit, so time together which happens to help me strength train is a win-win. Arms hurt now though, as the vice isn't actually that stable.

Time together is so important. My gentleman and I don't share many interests, but we always make sure to have dinner together, no matter how busy the day is. Glad you're getting to do things you both like (and that further your goals). Sounds like your next bouldering session won't know what hit it!

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Week 0, Day 5: 
- Walked husband to work: 1.5km in total. Grabbed some beans and chopped tomatoes for healthy meals this weekend. 

- Danced around the kitchen with my cat like a lunatic to Little Mix - Salute. Counting it as cardio :P

- Did a mild stretching/yoga session - squats, lunges, wrist and neck circles, 5-second-side-planks and some simple posture holds/stretches. Not enough for a 'proper workout' but enough to feel I actually showed up and like I won't ruin my chances of getting back to it :)

- I had chocolate buttons on the table in front of me, and I walked downstairs to make baked sweet potatoes for lunch instead :)

- I have healthy main meals for today/sat/sun planned. Tonight we have quinoa casserole with yellow peppers, salami, kabanossi, corn, peas, tomatoes, cheese and carrot.
Tomorrow I'm cooking tuna steaks with kale crisps and some mixed roast veg, and sunday I'm cooking salsa chicken. 

I may have then eaten the chocolate buttons and some chocolate-covered raisins after dinner >_> but we can skip over that.

Week 0:
Workout:  2/3 

Gym: 1/2 

Work Deadlines: 1/3 

Log:  Y/N 

• Like 2

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

14 hours ago, Nina-Rose said:

- Danced around the kitchen with my cat like a lunatic to Little Mix - Salute. Counting it as cardio :P

I'm with you there. That song (and a few others by them) has been added to my workout montage. Glad you had a good Friday, here's to a great weekend for you and the husband!

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

39 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I'm with you there. That song (and a few others by them) has been added to my workout montage. Glad you had a good Friday, here's to a great weekend for you and the husband!

He's on night shifts, hence the nightly walking him to work so we actually get time to chat. 

What other songs can you recommend, I'm trying to build up some female-singer-badass songs :P
Have a great weekend yourself :)

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

Week 0, Day 6: 
- Walked husband to work: 1.5km 

- It wasn't an emotional day, and I had no appetite for dinner, I then ate my weight in chocolate. Did some stretches out of desire for 'balance' and am heading to bed with a book and hot water bottle. Healthy food can try again tomorrow. 

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

8 hours ago, Nina-Rose said:

He's on night shifts, hence the nightly walking him to work so we actually get time to chat. 

What other songs can you recommend, I'm trying to build up some female-singer-badass songs
Have a great weekend yourself

Mine works evenings/into the night too.  Good sometimes to have the house alone but not good other times.

You sound as though you did loads at yoir

climbing induction!  Hope the DOMS have passed now.

16 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

Mine works evenings/into the night too.  Good sometimes to have the house alone but not good other times.

You sound as though you did loads at yoir

climbing induction!  Hope the DOMS have passed now.

Today I did debate going to the wall, but the stretches were still quite stiff, really.  The induction was 15 mins of climbing, then I stayed an extra 20-odd mins; half watching others and half actually on the wall. Ill go again in about a week :)

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk