[Cat Takeover] Owlet: Eat, Purr, Sleep

Owlet

On 3/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, Owlet said:

I think I took the cat thing to heart more than necessary - basically went nocturnal last night. No idea why - I didn't do or eat/drink anything differently to normal and I didn't have anything particular on my mind, just could not sleep. Ugh. Morning routine was pretty much non-existent because I slept in. Now I'm grumpy and getting annoyed at little things like my flatmate telling me to do things I was about to do anyway (call the phone company because they messed up our bill wooo) 

Ok deep breaths. Drink the coffee... mm coffee...

I think I need to get more exercise. That should help with sleep right? I just keep not having time ugh. Even tonight, which is my only 'free' night all week, is now filled up with going to test drive a car and then preparing a study to give at tomorrow's Buddhist meeting. Not complaining - I've actually quite enjoyed being busy recently - just makes it hard to exercise. Hopefully the weather improves again soon so I can do stuff at lunchtime. Hmm.. This post is so rambling lol. I need a cat nap. 

:( Not sleeping is shitty enough but it's even worse when there's no reason. I hope you've caught up by now. 

Is there any way you can sneak exercise in at some point? Walks at lunch or random breaks for squats or planks to make your coworkers think you're crazy?

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 3/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, fleaball said:

:( Not sleeping is shitty enough but it's even worse when there's no reason. I hope you've caught up by now. 

Haha not yet. I'm even more tired now. I had the training camp on the weekend which included 10 hours driving each way. Got there around 11pm friday night and got home around midnight last night. Plus very early mornings and super intense days. I'm kinda in meltdown now. I think largely because I find it very difficult to be around people constantly for more than a few hours at a time, let alone several days. I tried to get some alone time by going off for a couple of walks during lunch breaks but it definitely wasn't enough. There just wasn't any way to get more alone time unfortunately. I ended up getting pretty anxious and miserable and I'm still feeling the effects but hopefully sleep will help. I need to process the weekend a bit more too. I'm not quite sure how I feel yet other than overloaded. 

On 3/18/2017 at 1:50 PM, fleaball said:

Is there any way you can sneak exercise in at some point? Walks at lunch or random breaks for squats or planks to make your coworkers think you're crazy?

Yeah I could probably squeeze in some more lunchtime exercise. Although probably not this week because it's forecast to rain, doh. 

Ugh I think I really need to apply for leave for this holiday and just do it, never mind whether I've planned it all out or not. Feeling pretty jaded and overwhelmed. Need more cat in my life. 

QfWgmXo.gif

• Like 4
On 3/12/2017 at 11:57 PM, Owlet said:

Avoid refined carbs (bread, pasta, etc) as much as possible (cats don't eat carbs duh) exceptions allowed when out with friends etc and only limited options are available. 

My cat does though (but he also eats plastic so he probably does not count as a normal, everyday cat)

Cool challenge though!

• Like 2

Current Challenge
Previous challenge: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Facebook

Instagram

3 hours ago, Dagger said:

640x364.jpg

This makes me want to squeal in a very undignified manner. So cuuuuuute~

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Inadvertently got more exercise than planned today - drove to the beach to go for a walk and promptly locked my keys in my scooter. Luckily I had a spare key back at work so I ended up walking 6km by the time I was back at my scooter and able to unlock it. Not as scenic as my planned walk and rather more stressful but hey, exercise. It also helped me churn through some of the emotional stuff that's been screwing with my head the last few days. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Owlet said:

Inadvertently got more exercise than planned today - drove to the beach to go for a walk and promptly locked my keys in my scooter. Luckily I had a spare key back at work so I ended up walking 6km by the time I was back at my scooter and able to unlock it. Not as scenic as my planned walk and rather more stressful but hey, exercise. It also helped me churn through some of the emotional stuff that's been screwing with my head the last few days. 

I use walks a LOT to churn through emotions and thoughts. When I walk regularly I even sometimes get mostly pleasant walks because I've already thought all the thoughts and nothing new have entered to fill my head.

At least you could fix the problem with relative ease. So that is something. 

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

12 hours ago, Dagger said:

I use walks a LOT to churn through emotions and thoughts. When I walk regularly I even sometimes get mostly pleasant walks because I've already thought all the thoughts and nothing new have entered to fill my head.

At least you could fix the problem with relative ease. So that is something. 

I am actually really surprised how much better I feel today, I think that walk really helped. I was in a pretty dark place. I really wanted to get to the bottom of it though so I just kept asking myself questions, trying to work out what I was feeling and why. And eventually I felt better, not because I reached any great conclusions but just asking myself the questions and finding answers seemed to satisfy my brain somewhat. Curious. 

Goal-wise, not so great but oh well. Morning and evening routines went totally out the window over the weekend because of course I had no control over the schedule. Haven't got back on track yet so I will try and get to bed early tonight. Food is mostly ok but I'm making an exception to the no bread goal because HOT CROSS BUNS! Noms. Toasted and buttered for breakfast with a cup of coffee :D 

Good news with my long term physio project though. I had an appointment yesterday to review my exercise program and I was worried because I hardly did my exercises over the last 6 weeks. But apparently I still got stronger and he was impressed haha. Gave me new exercises and did some of the tests he did when I first went to him - my right arm is still stronger than my left, but both have gotten stronger overall (he was testing the core muscles of my shoulders). Yay! Really encouraging to hear, especially since I've been a bit sore recently from being too tense and stressed. 

E7Wecf.gif

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Owlet said:

Oh nooo! :D Well done finding the positive sides, though...! 

2 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Good news with my long term physio project though. I had an appointment yesterday to review my exercise program and I was worried because I hardly did my exercises over the last 6 weeks. But apparently I still got stronger and he was impressed haha. Gave me new exercises and did some of the tests he did when I first went to him - my right arm is still stronger than my left, but both have gotten stronger overall (he was testing the core muscles of my shoulders). Yay! Really encouraging to hear, especially since I've been a bit sore recently from being too tense and stressed. 

E7Wecf.gif

This is great news! But... Getting stronger while hardly doing exercise...? WHAT'S YOUR SECRET? O__o

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

1 minute ago, Ensi said:

Oh nooo! :D Well done finding the positive sides, though...! 

This is great news! But... Getting stronger while hardly doing exercise...? WHAT'S YOUR SECRET? O__o

I DON'T KNOW! Must be magic. Or Buddhism. That's basically magic. Haha apparently one of my old flatmates once asked my other flatmate if I'm a witch because he overheard me chanting. I should really get a black cat to complete the image...

• Like 5
Just now, Owlet said:

Haha apparently one of my old flatmates once asked my other flatmate if I'm a witch because he overheard me chanting. I should really get a black cat to complete the image...

I wouldn't want to correct anyone if they thought that I was a witch :D You'd better get a black cat, just for that!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ensi said:

I wouldn't want to correct anyone if they thought that I was a witch :D You'd better get a black cat, just for that!

I second this!

• Like 3

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

2 hours ago, Owlet said:

Haha apparently one of my old flatmates once asked my other flatmate if I'm a witch because he overheard me chanting. I should really get a black cat to complete the image...

I strongly recommend the black cat :) I am currently owned by one (guess who is trying to climb on the keyboard right now?) who chose us as soon as we walked into the shelter. 

• Like 3

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Hahahaa guess who just had ANOTHER key incident? Yup that's me. With the car this time, sigh. Cost $75 for a guy to come out and unlock it for me but at least he was super quick. Last time it took over an hour, but this guy was already in my neighbourhood and was way better at getting into the car. I think I really need to slow down and get some sleep, this week is barely staying on track. Weekend tomorrow at least, and not tooo many commitments (just a walk and a catch up with an old friend and maybe seeing a visiting Buddhist member and then cooking dinner for my flatmates. And laundry and all those other fun jobs. Weekends really need to be longer than 2 days, sheesh.)

• Like 5

Nearly sunday, yeesh. Might as well do an update

I ended up doing a quick physio session and then going to bed lol, so tired. So, week 1: (vague because I didn't keep track very well)

Eat:

Breakfast - don't skip it. Can be fruit and veges and nuts from work or oatmeal with fruit and nuts (weekends) occasional treat breakfast (croissant) ok-ish, indulged in hot cross buns a few times

Lunch should be filling and healthy. Ideally leftovers from home. Cook most nights and cook extra. Didn't have a chance to cook much so didn't have leftovers very often. Made salad at work a few times though. 

Avoid refined carbs (bread, pasta, etc) as much as possible (cats don't eat carbs duh) exceptions allowed when out with friends etc and only limited options are available. Good except for a few hot cross buns. I'm not sorry. They are delicious :D 

Purr:

Things that make me happy.

Chant everyday - definitely morning, bonus for evening. Only twice, details below...

Paint/art 2x per week. Oops I totally forgot about this goal, my bad.

Plan holiday, lock in dates, apply for leave. Done! 

Activity/movement - physio, standing, bbw workouts? walks, runs? yoga?  stretching? Haven't quite decided yet. Done but could've benefited from more movement.

Sleep:

This is actually the goal I'm most interested in and will probably find the hardest. But I think if I can crack the sleep game it will help me do better in literally all other areas of my life.

Morning routine - wake early, drink a glass of lemon water, chant 30 minutes, get ready for work. Not really, although I at least didn't sleep in much
Evening routine - no laptop after 10m, bed by 10:30, lights out 11:30. Sweet dreams. Mixed results.

So, not such a flash week in terms of goals but I'm ok with that because I think I'm in a much better place now than I was at the start of the week. Details in the spoiler.

I was also extremely tired for most of the week. I probably should've taken monday off to recover but instead I kept bouncing from one commitment to the next and I'm not surprised that I managed to lock keys in two separate vehicles and run the battery flat of the car. Could've been a lot worse tbh. I feel physically and mentally much better now though. I went on an adventure yesterday with 3 good friends and although it didn't go quite according to plan we ended up having a really great day and I finally got to see the Pinnacles (you can check them out when you come and do your Lord of the Rings tour @fleaball :'D) 

89c53dde8218253e9cf0157b61a991af.jpg

The Buddhist camp actually really threw me and it took a lot of processing to work through my feelings around it. I guess you'd call it a crisis of faith - I was quite taken aback by the way the members up north practice (basically, more fervently than I am used to) and it stirred up a lot of reservations I have about religion in general. I still feel pretty new to this whole religion thing and I've been able to more or less ignore my own reservations by concentrating on the fact it is more of a philosophy than a religion and an atheist one at that. But being around people who are more passionate and extroverted about it made me freak out a bit and suddenly doubt what it was all about. My gut instinct was to run a mile. And so I didn't really chant all week and only went to one meeting. I talked to a few people about it though and did a lot of thinking and I think I am OK with it again now. I can't deny how much the practice has helped me - both to overcome things that were causing me to suffer and to become more like the person I want to be, as well as helping those around me. And I appreciate more fully that this practice is - first and foremost - about helping people, not about adhering to certain rules or behaving a certain way. So it doesn't matter so much how you express your faith, just that you do it with the spirit of compassion and wisdom. I suppose this was always going to happen at some point because I grew up in a secular household and have always regarded religion with suspicion. Perhaps it will come up again at some point but, for now at least, I feel a lot more at peace.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Oh heck yes, I just changed my address details for a bunch of subscriptions and updated my insurance policy. Only took me 6 weeks after moving :'D Now to charge the car battery... ew adulting.

I hate all the admin fixing around moving. Just so much minutia to keep track off and fix.

I hear you on your spoiler. I also grew up secular and I definitely recognize the discomfort that creates when faced with religion. It sounds like you handled it well. Some thinking time is often in order when it comes to spirituality, at least for me.

• Like 2

Thanks for the lovely adventuring pic! :) And the spoiler brings up a very interesting point about how personal a thing religion is. As you said, some people might practice it differently than you. I don't know much about religions, but I believe that we all are allowed to practice our faith in any way we like to. You can go to the gym and see people lift different weights and do different routines - but you're still all in the gym. (Did I do it NF style enough?) 

• Like 3

Spoiler: NZ does not exist. There's just a portal to Middle Earth.

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

OMG I seriously think I'm losing my mind... After the various key/scooter/car/battery issues last week, I also managed to leave the lights on when I was out adventuring on saturday (thank goodness one of the others noticed and turned them off before we set off on the walk) and today I lost my phone. Could not for the life of me work out where it was, even went home to look for it and emailed out at work in case someone found it in the kitchen or whatever... friend asks if I have the 'find my iphone app' which I totally forgotten about, and of course it's just at home. Feel like maybe I shouldn't be trusted to leave the house for a while :'D Instead I am looking at buying my own car :o 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Owlet said:

OMG I seriously think I'm losing my mind... After the various key/scooter/car/battery issues last week, I also managed to leave the lights on when I was out adventuring on saturday (thank goodness one of the others noticed and turned them off before we set off on the walk) and today I lost my phone. Could not for the life of me work out where it was, even went home to look for it and emailed out at work in case someone found it in the kitchen or whatever... friend asks if I have the 'find my iphone app' which I totally forgotten about, and of course it's just at home. Feel like maybe I shouldn't be trusted to leave the house for a while :'D Instead I am looking at buying my own car :o 

it sounds like you've had so much on your mind your brain has just decided not to give a fuck about silly things like turning off lights and keeping track of small items. D: Get more sleep? Quit your job and move to a cave in the woods?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Just now, fleaball said:

it sounds like you've had so much on your mind your brain has just decided not to give a fuck about silly things like turning off lights and keeping track of small items. D: Get more sleep? Quit your job and move to a cave in the woods?

Haha pretty much. *Quits job and moves to cabin on the coast (woods are too creepy. Thanks horror movies) and takes up sleeping full time... 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2017 at 11:09 AM, Dagger said:

I hate all the admin fixing around moving. Just so much minutia to keep track off and fix.

I hear you on your spoiler. I also grew up secular and I definitely recognize the discomfort that creates when faced with religion. It sounds like you handled it well. Some thinking time is often in order when it comes to spirituality, at least for me.

I know right! And I'm sure there are still a bunch of places I need to update with my new address. If only I could think of them all... Meh.

Yeah totally - I seem to remember you saying you used to think a lot of new age/spirituality etc is 'mumbo jumbo' haha. Can definitely relate to that. I guess that's why I ended up Buddhist - most of it is such solid, common sense stuff it's hard to dispute. 

23 hours ago, Ensi said:

Thanks for the lovely adventuring pic! :) And the spoiler brings up a very interesting point about how personal a thing religion is. As you said, some people might practice it differently than you. I don't know much about religions, but I believe that we all are allowed to practice our faith in any way we like to. You can go to the gym and see people lift different weights and do different routines - but you're still all in the gym. (Did I do it NF style enough?) 

I don't know much about other religions but as far as Nichiren Buddhism is concerned you can definitely practice how you like so long as you do it with a spirit of compassion and wisdom. I think it just hit a nerve with me and even though I could reason with it, my heart needed a little more time to process the feelings. When does it not though haha. 

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

Spoiler: NZ does not exist. There's just a portal to Middle Earth.

Hahaha dammit now everyone knows! 

Yeesh. I really need to catch up on some sleep. We had training all afternoon at work today and I was so very close to nodding off. Pure will power saved me(ish) Plus it's getting annoying having so many little things slip my mind. Evening routine here I come (drags  feet..)

• Like 5

Ewwww. Don't you just love it when you sleep in ridiculously and when you finally manage to check your phone for the time you also see that you have 2 missed calls from a number you don't know? I was pretty sure I knew who it was (the garage that inspected the car yesterday) but even so. Needless to say, morning routine did not happen today. Or evening routine really - I was overtired so feeling sorry for myself which never bodes well. Didn't go to bed super late, just probably not as early as I should've. God I want a sleep holiday. And a holiday from adulting. And work. Hope work approves my leave request today...

tumblr_nkhsztHqbr1smppa2o1_500.gif

• Like 5