KW's OpSLED log.

Operation: Suck Less Every Day. :D

As I've noted elsewhere, I'm currently doing Crossfit, working Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (I've found it a great option for adding strength and mass, ranking right up there with the classic Starting Strength) into the WOD's.

We start four workouts of the week with one of the main lifts, following the 5/3/1 protocol, and follow it up with a second WOD that replaces the standard 5/3/1 assistance work.

We're wrapping up the first of four or five planned cycles this week. The last week of each cycle is a backoff/recovery week, so the pondages on the main lift are very light.

This was my session last night:

BENCH PRESS

95 x 5

115 x 5

135 x 5

We followed up our main lift with one of the classic CF "named" sessions, "Lynne". Typically, this is 5 rounds of max-rep bodyweight bench presses and pullups. Score is total reps completed, untimed. As I'm still mostly a CF beginner, though, I scaled the bench to 3/4 bodyweight.

"LYNNE" (scaled)

165 x 16 bench / 8 pullups

165 x 15 bench / 6 pullups

165 x 12 bench / 6 pullups

165 x 13 bench / 6 pullups

165 x 14 bench / 7 pullups

And that was that. I suck at pullups, and am having a hell of a time trying to figure out the Crossfit style kipping chins. Years and years of strict technique and a misunderstanding of the actual purpose of the kip is haunting me! Ah well, it'll come in time.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Today was an in-house Throwdown competition/social at my Crossfit gym. It was really relaxed, and mostly a chance to mingle with other athletes we otherwise don't get much chance to train with, but the team aspect definitely encouraged everyone to push themselves especially hard.

We were broken up into teams of three, with the goal of each team having someone from each of the three "fitness levels" that our gym uses to determine how to scale each workout of the day. The way the numbers worked out, though, I was technically assigned to do the work of a person one level "higher" than I really am. Ah well, just another way to really push myself.

Each team did two workouts.

The first was "Team Grace". "Grace" is a classic Crossfit workout that consists of snatching 135 pounds for 30 reps for time. We modified it so that you had to go floor to overhead on each rep, but whether you did it via a snatch or clean and press or jerk was up to each athlete. As this was "Team Grace", though, we were timed on how long it took the group to get 90 reps, 30 per member, using the weight assigned to each fitness level. Each team got only one bar, so only one person at a time could work, and we had to strip or add weight for each member. I was assigned to work with 115 pounds.

I'm happy to say we totally owned this workout. We finished our Grace about 2 and a half minutes before the next fastest team. With the remainder of our time (there was a 15 minute time limit set for the event) we were able to get "bonus points" for every inch we were able to do on a standing high jump. I'd never done these, so I was happy to get about 42 inches (a plyobox, 4 45 pound bumper plates, and a 25 plate stacked up). My teammates each got a few inches higher than that, so our final score was very good, giving us first. Woot!

The second workout was rather less wootworthy, at least for my performance.

To start, we'd have one member on a rowing machine, one resting, and one "working". The rower would do 250 meters and then all members of the team would rotate. As a team, we had to complete 3000 meters total rowed, at which time we'd abandon the rowing and two members could "work" while one rested. The "work" we were trying to complete, as a team, was 100 kettlebell swings, 100 boxjumps, 100 wallballs, and 100 burpees.

I kinda sucked at this one, though my teammates carried us to a decent finish, right in the middle of the pack.

Overall we placed second, which wasn't too shabby given my beginner status and that I was using heavier weights than expected. Still, I need a LOT of work on the high-rep and bodyweight type workouts.

Overall, a very fun day. It's still taking me time to adjust to a atmosphere of Crossfit. I have, for a long time, mostly been a workout loner. CF is most definitely a social affair, in a shockingly good way. Egos go right out the window, and everyone seems genuinely interesting in seeing one another succeed. Awesome.

Anyway, sorry for the length here. Nature of the workouts would make a traditional "log" kinda impossible. Consider this a report from the field.

:D

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

DEADLIFT

255 x 5

290 x 5

325 x max (I got 11)

POWER CLEANS

135 x 3

155 x 3

175 x 3

175 x 3

175 x 3

(man, these were tough today, though I guess that's to be expected right after deads....)

metcon

ran 400 meters

rested 60 seconds

ran 400 meters

rested 60 seconds

ran 400 meters

rested 60 seconds

ran 400 meters

10:24 total

(this was tough. a fleet-footed gazelle, I am most surely not. but oh well, it got done.)

Wicked quick workout tonight. Making up my Presses that I had to miss on Monday due to work. Paired them with some basic pullups, but didn't add on any other work. 1) it's rainy and cold; 2) I have a just-released novel by my one of my favorite (and sadly, recently departed :() authors to pick up; and 3) a nice plate of spicy pulled pork to attend to at my favorite craft beer bar.

So, in and out in about 16 minutes total!

PRESS

a couple warmup sets, and then...

105 x 5

120 x 5

135 x max (I got 9. Put it up for ten, but the last was definitely closer to a pushpress, and I'm keeping these particular workouts as strict pressing. So I didn't count it)

PULLUPS

max (I got 7. Man, I still kinda suck at chinning, however many I do. Ah well, as the weight comes down, they oughta get a LOT easier.)

And that was that.

:)

BENCH PRESS

couple warmup sets and then...

145 x 5

170 x 5

190 x max (I got 13)

"HELEN"

3 rounds for time of:

400m RUN

21 KETTLEBELL SWINGS

12 PULLUPS

time of 13:14

This is the second time I've done "Helen" since starting Crossfit, the first time being about a month ago. I improved my time by about 2:15, but I've still got a LOT of room to improve for next time...

Bah. Not a strong showing today.

SQUAT

190 x 5

220 x 5

250 x max (I got...5)

OK, that's kinda problematic, as five is the MINIMUM. Barely got it. Now, I'm not too worried here, as the heavy day last cycle had me going heavier than this, and I managed to get 7 reps. So this was probably one random bad day, but still...it shook my next confidence for the second half of the workout.

METCON WORKOUT

As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:

5 SQUAT CLEANS with 115 pounds

10 PULLUPS

10 BURPEES

I managed four full rounds, and finished the squat cleans and pullups in my fifth round.

Once again, meh. Just wasn't feeling it today. I think a week of somewhat sloppy eating and working some double shifts and not getting quality rest caught up with me today.

One positive thing, though, was that I spent some time practicing my kipping pullups afterwards, and I think I might be starting to get the hang of them. I still haven't really tried incorporating them into the actual workouts yet, but I oughta start. Slow, deadhang pullups are an outstanding movement, but kipping seems such a better option on timed workouts.

Commonly accepted ratios tend to put them at 3-to-1 reps and 2-to-1 time. Meaning for every one well-executed dead-hang, you can likely do three well-executed kipping pullups, and do two kips in the time it takes you to do one traditional pullup.

On timed workouts, I tend to lose a lot of time on my pullups, so finally finding my kip, so to speak, would help me a lot. I'm getting there.

Life happens mate.

I'm still trying to figure out that fricken kip as well. It's the missing part that's keeping me from doing muscle ups.

With your strength workouts are you following any program?

Or are you just doing enough to that will still keep you reasonably fresh for your crossfit workout?

Yep, we're following Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 protocol as a gym, which is what I was doing on my own just before joining up with Crossfit. I had pretty good success with it my first time through. We're in the second cycle right now, with four planned.

If you're not familiar, here's a very good overview: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou ... ystem.html

(the only issue I take with this write up is a slight glossing over of one of Wendler's most important points: you need to find your 1RM in the lifts before beginning, but then you use only 90% of that as your "training max". The loads for each workout are dervied from your training max, not your true max. The idea is to undershoot at first, so you're sorta getting a ramp up or "running start" for a few weeks before hitting some new maxes.)

We do the main lift first, and the do a traditional Crossfit WOD as the "assistance work", with the trainers choosing a WOD that compliments that day's primary lift.

PRESS

couple warmup sets and then...

115 x 3

130 x 3

145 x max (I got 8)

METCON WORKOUT

3 rounds for time of

10 HANDSTAND PUSHUPS (or progression)

10 THRUSTERS with 115 pounds

20 FLOOR WIPERS with 115 pounds

20 BURPEES (*whimper*)

I got 23:50

This metcon session was brutal, especially following the heavy pressing. This was my first time doing HSPUs, so I did a variation, basically in a pike position with my feet on top of a plyo box and a couple plates.

First time ever doing floor wipers, too. Not what I expected.

And the burpees...well, as much as I hate them, I need to to do them way more often. Reckon I'll work it into part of my challenge.

DEADLIFT

a few warmup sets, and then...

270 x 3

315 x 3

345 x max (I got 9)

Felt great!

Buuuuut, I wasn't able to do the second half of the workout. No way I was up to it. It was a mile run, followed by a 2K row, followed by another mile run.

I've got a wicked bad case of shin splints this week, and I hadn't brought my running shoes along tonight (I lift in battered old Chuck Taylors). That volume of running was definitely out.

So that sucked. I stuck around and banged out some pullups, practicing my kip. I'll try to make it up this weekend or something.

Oh well. At least the deads went well!

Curious... what is "metcon"?

Oops. Good question, as I guess I haven't seen it used much outside Starting Strength/Crossfit boards.

Metcon is short for Metabolic Conditioning. Basically its cardio, though its usually done differently than traditional "endurance" based exercise. It'll typically involve a strength-based element. Stuff like barbell complexes, kettlebell work, obstacle courses, high-intensity calisthenics, and stuff like that.

Hope that helps. :)

BENCH PRESS

couple warmup sets, and then...

160 x 3

180 x 3

200 x max (got 12)

SQUAT

couple warmup sets, and then...

205 x 3

235 x 3

265 x max (got 5)

Now, first few reps felt fine, and I think I may have been able to get more than 5 had I been lifting at my Crossfit box, or my prior gym. However, due to my schedule today I lifted at the fancy, high-end place that I get a free membership to though my job. For one, I never seem able to lift as well at this place. Just hard to get into the zone, but I can usually manage to squeeze out a decent enough session if I bring my own music, tune out what's going on elsewhere, and focus on what I'm doing. Well, what's got two thumbs and forgot their ipod today? *This guy*. Shame on me.

Still, first couple work sets of squats felt pretty good. I had high hopes for my max set.

Lemme ask you, though: have you ever tried squatting heavy, with the sweet, soothing melodies of Colbie Callat or whatever the hell her name is playing in the background? No? Good, don't. I almost crushed myself.

I usually do my squat reps in clusters of three, for whatever reason. First cluster went fine, took a quick breath, and heard something about "wiggling my nose" coming through the sound system. I kinda snorted-laughed, which isn't really a key component of staying tight. Went down for rep four, but the absurdity of that song playing while I was trying to be all hardcore was too much. Fifth rep was sloppy as all hell, and I re-racked the weight and had myself a chuckle. Can't really begrudge the gym; I'm sure top 40 light rock stuff is fine for most of the people there. More, I had a laugh at my own expense. Unfortunate about the aborted set, but oh well, still beat the "goal" by two reps, and I'm sure next time will feel stronger.

So with that little anecdote aside, let's move on to part two of the workout.

"Cindy" is a classic Crossfit benchmark workout, consisting of as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats. Typically, it'll be done as its own, standalone workout. Since I had just hammered my chest and legs though with not one but two heavy, all out lifts, I decided to modify it a little. Let's call it "Cindy Lite".

"CINDY LITE"

As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 15 minutes of:

* 3 PULLUPS

* 8 PUSHUPS

* 12 SQUATS

I got 10 full completed rounds, and finished the pullups on the 11th.

I was happy with this. I was hoping for 8 or so, so I'll take it!

Finally, I finished things up with 20 Burpees. I hate burpees, so I figure I'll start doing them at the end of every workout that doesn't already program them into the session itself. I did 10-5-5over a few minutes , and I'm hoping to get up to doing them in one cluster, and then start adding to them one or two reps at a time.

And that's it! Downed my post-session chocolate milk, and now I'm off to cook up some bacon and relax the rest of the day with a good book.

:)

First time ever doing floor wipers, too. Not what I expected.

And the burpees...well, as much as I hate them, I need to to do them way more often. Reckon I'll work it into part of my challenge.

haha out of curiosity - in a good way or a bad way? :)

they weren't what i expected when i started doing them either, but i love them now.

and for burpees, when i was doing more circuit style training (and will be again in a few days, i think), there were some times when i would look at my list of things to do and see burpees next and think to myself "WHY did you think this was a good idea when you wrote it down???"

but they are amazing.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I think I was expecting the bar to act almost as a stabilizer, kinda anchoring me to the floor. I was unpleasantly surprised to find myself wobbling all over the place! By the end of the workout, though, I figured it was a great new movement.

The next couple days, though...woo. I've never had hip flexer soreness like that before in my life. I was seriously having trouble standing fully upright. I don't get that kind of muscle soreness much anymore. Intense!

PRESS, STANDING AND STRICT

warmup sets and then...

115 x 5

135 x 3

155 x max (I got 5. Hoping for 7, but hey, still four better than the "goal". And I'm still wicked tired.)

WEIGHTED PULLUPS

10 x 5

15 x 3

20 x max (I got 5. Never really do these, so good to get a baseline.)

PLATE PRESS

45 x 20

45 x 20

45 x 20

(this is a great lil' movement. hold the plate flat and to one side of your head, press it up, and lower to the other side. go back and forth for high-reps. good times)

ONE ARM DUMBBELL ROW

95 x 8

95 x 8

95 x 8

I think I was expecting the bar to act almost as a stabilizer, kinda anchoring me to the floor. I was unpleasantly surprised to find myself wobbling all over the place! By the end of the workout, though, I figured it was a great new movement.

The next couple days, though...woo. I've never had hip flexer soreness like that before in my life. I was seriously having trouble standing fully upright. I don't get that kind of muscle soreness much anymore. Intense!

mine do the same! and i thought that if i put more weight on it, it would be more stable - but nope, completely wrong.

it gets easier to keep it stable after youve done it a few times. :) (i'm not doing mine with 115 lbs though!)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

BENCH PRESS

A couple warmup sets and then...

170 x 5

190 x 3

210 x max (got 9)

Wanted ten, but y'know what the Stones say.

SQUAT

warmups, and then...

220 x 5

250 x 3

280 x max (2)

Only went for a double. Just wasn't feeling it, and didn't want to risk having to dump it whilst surrounded by a lot of older folks doing rehab work and such. Next time I go this heavy I'll have to wait will I get into my CF gym, where I can drop bars to my hearts content.

Then I did a bunch of chinups. No idea how many, really; just kinda felt the need to do something more.

Coulda been worse. Coulda been a lot better, too. But considering my sleep and diet this week, and that my enviroment today was rather wanting in intensity-bringing, and that, technically, I surpassed the program's prescribed minimums in both lifts, I'll count it was a minor, if ugly, win. :)

DEADLIFT

295 x 5

325 x 3

365 x max (I got 7)

I was planning on just doing that, but, somehow I got roped into following it up with our box's WOD, appropriately named...

"NUTS"

5 HANDSTAND PUSHUPS

10 DEADLIFTS with 250 lbs

15 BOXJUMPS @ 24" (I think)

25 PULLUPS

50 WALLBALLS with 20 lbs

300 SINGLE UNDERS of rope skipping

400 meter RUN with a 45 lb plate

I got 18 minutes on the dot.

I was doing the scaled workout, though. RX'd was 10/15/25/50/100/200 double unders. Ow.

The first three primary lifts, Press, Deadlifts, and Bench, were make up sessions, and the loads represent a light recovery or deload week. So, I felt fresh enough to tag on some random work-to-3RM movements afterward.

PRESS

65 x 5

80 x 5

95 x 5

DEADLIFT

155 x 5

195 x 5

225 x 5

BENCH PRESS

95 x 5

115 x 5

135 x 5

CHINUPS

bw x 3

5 x 3

10 x 3

15 x 3

20 x 3

25 x 3

30 x 3

35 x 2

DIPS

bw x 3

5 x 3

10 x 3

15 x 3

20 x 3

25 x 3

30 x 3

35 x 1

ONE ARM DUMBBELL PRESS

50 x 3

55 x 3

60 x 3

65 x 3

70 x 3*

75 x 3*

80 x 3*

(* denotes a slight push-press, rather than strict)

EZ BAR CURL (yeah, yeah, I know...)

95 x 3

105 x 3

115 x 3

125 x 3*

(* denotes cheat curl, concentration on the negatives)

STANDING STRICT PRESS

125 x 5

140 x 3

155 x max (I got six, which I think is a PR by one rep)

WEIGHTED PULLUPS

BW x 5

10 x 5

15 x 3

20 x max (got 5)

INCLINE BARBELL BENCHPRESS

155 x 5

165 x 5

175 x 5

POWER CLEANS

155 x 5

155 x 5

155 x 5

RING PUSHUPS AND AIR SQUATS

Done for 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps. I was going to do them for time, like I usually do for squats and regular pushups, but the rings made this a whole new animal. I stopped my timer and concentrated on finishing, period. Couldn't believe how much the ring pushups took out of me!

HEAVY BAG

Worked the bag. Didn't worry about timed rounds or anything, just worked out the kinks a little. Basic combinations, a few low-line kicks, some knees and elbows. Felt good.

And that's it. First workout for which I felt healthy in 2 weeks. Good to be back.

Ow.

DEADLIFT

135 x 5

185 x 4

225 x 3

275 x 2

295 x 5

335 x 3

375 x max (I got 5)

This might be a PR, not sure. I've done more weight on a few occasions, but they were for doubles or singles. Not sure how this would compare to my 1RM, but it's close. Whatever the case, I haven't done that weight for those reps, I don't believe. Even so, I feel I'm still suffering from the tail end of whatever I had. I really do feel I might have had another one or two in me if conditions were right. a couple weeks ago, I pulled 365 for 7. More weight, sure, but only ten pounds, and a two rep drop? Not sure about that trade-off. Oh well, we'll see next cycle, when this load comes up again in week 2!

METCON

10 rounds for time of:

*10 SUMO-DEAD HIGHPULLS, 85lbs

*10 RING DIPS

I got 13:33. I was the slowest of the 4 people going at that time by about a minute, but I was also using more weight then what was prescribed for my CF fitness level (should have been using 75). Double but, I had to do assisted ring dips. Those are tough bastards. Triple but, again, my CF level was prescribed assisted dips. So, y'know, can't feel too awful.

But man, those are humbling.

And effective. I currently have the most ridiculous arm pump I can recall. Whoa.

I say again: Ow.