Taddea Zhaan - Year of the Mountain Goat

Jord

6 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Maybe just consider it one practice day? Better to get back on the wagon the next day then to toss up the whole week and wait till the next. You guys got this!

Yes, but if I call it a practice week and do some on the weekend, then I get bonus points and a higher weekly average.  This is clearly what matters most!

(Please ignore me, I rationalize data for a living.)

Congrats on the PR :) 

• Like 2

Level 5 Warrior

Current Challenge | Battle Log | Instagram | Symmetric Strength

"Life's like Sanskrit read to a pony" - Lou Reed

23 hours ago, peelout said:

Do you work for a large corporation?  I feel for you on this one cause there were so many days where I would go home thinking "what the hell did I do today?".  Most productive time for me was always when I would come in on my day off and do actual work.

Image result for what would you say you do here

You've got a great workout focus.  Glad I found your blog to follow.

Sort of. I work for a very large health system. I am essentially an executive assistant for a physician scientist with a rather large research lab. I also have other responsibilities for the department. So all day I have things added to my plate as I accomplish other things. It leads to me having some ADHD sort of days where I can't seem to focus because my brain is constantly shifting to what I should do next or to that person/call/email that has come across my plate. Some days I get all the immediate need-to-do-today tasks done and make no progress on the large projects and that leaves me feeling unproductive. 

Thanks for following! 

22 hours ago, Urgan said:

I'm not a big fan of all or nothing deals unless you're grading a single discrete activity, habit, etc. Otherwise, if you're assigning multiple tasks to one goal, it's harder to track what the source of a problem with that goal is. It gets fuzzy somewhere along the way. 

Thank you for pointing this out. I am going to take your advice. I did start sort of a BuJo/journal for my challenge so i could write down what I did during the day and then track it later. I will start making note of which work goals I accomplished, where I struggled, and what went well. 

20 hours ago, Teros said:

Actually, they're pretty cool:

Well... they could work on being more photogenic. :P 

16 hours ago, navis said:

Yes, but if I call it a practice week and do some on the weekend, then I get bonus points and a higher weekly average.  This is clearly what matters most!

(Please ignore me, I rationalize data for a living.)

Congrats on the PR :) 

Hey, as long as it works for you and the data works for you! :D 

Thanks!

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Thursday

[x] mobility

[x] all 15 min of glute/abs for week

[x] work goals

Work went a lot better yesterday, despite spending most of the day away from my work space. I also had a sort of great idea that helped me work on my 1 hour of focused work. I wrote down all the things I wanted to do during that hour on my to-do list (if they weren't already written down) including small things. Then I went through and numbered them in the order I wanted to do them (regardless of priority). It worked! 

I only re-write my to do list when the majority is crossed off, so a couple of times a week. This is because I don't usually write down small/immediate tasks. But I think I can continue to use this method, even if I have to black out the numbers from the day before and write new ones. I mean for when I'm spending time doing focused (non-task hopping) work. I can black out the numbers for what is done and work through the numbers, adding more as needed. 

dancing-in-cubicle.gif 

Fitness stuff: 

I meant to do cardio in the evening but I worked late and was exhausted and there was no good reason I couldn't do it today instead. BUT there was also no reason I couldn't do my 15 min of glute/abs because I can do that at home. I use rogue shorty bands for my glute work. So BAM I got that done. That means all I have to do today after work is make dinner and then go do 30 min of cardio. 

source.gif 

Habit building notes: 

I read more of the habit building guide on jamesclear.com and elsewhere. I don't remember on which site but they talked about how research showed it takes 2-8 months to build a habit. Which for me solidifies the idea that it is perfectly legit to repeat your goals from challenge to challenge. I have a feeling that remembering to do my mobility is going to take some months. 

mountain goat fact of the day, apparently their powerful shoulder and neck muscles help them propel up mountains. NECK GAINS

9dc0d29f7dcb7681506bb28156f6c6eb.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Habit building notes: 

I read more of the habit building guide on jamesclear.com and elsewhere. I don't remember on which site but they talked about how research showed it takes 2-8 months to build a habit. Which for me solidifies the idea that it is perfectly legit to repeat your goals from challenge to challenge. I have a feeling that remembering to do my mobility is going to take some months. 

http://jamesclear.com/new-habit

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact. And how long it takes a new habit to form can vary widely depending on the behavior, the person, and the circumstances. In Lally's study, it took anywhere from 18 days to 254 days for people to form a new habit. 

And notice the average was 66 days.  Lallys study showed 18-254days.  All depends on how tough the habit is to make/break.

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I meant to do cardio in the evening but I worked late and was exhausted and there was no good reason I couldn't do it today instead. BUT there was also no reason I couldn't do my 15 min of glute/abs because I can do that at home. I use rogue shorty bands for my glute work. So BAM I got that done. That means all I have to do today after work is make dinner and then go do 30 min of cardio. 

Great attitude.

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Thank you for pointing this out. I am going to take your advice. I did start sort of a BuJo/journal for my challenge so i could write down what I did during the day and then track it later. I will start making note of which work goals I accomplished, where I struggled, and what went well. 

And I totally understand your wanting to leave no room in which to wiggle out of doing all the things, as well. This is a good middle ground. Sub-goals can be a thing!

1 hour ago, peelout said:

And notice the average was 66 days.  Lallys study showed 18-254days.  All depends on how tough the habit is to make/break.

This is true. Brushing one's teeth regularly or adding in more veggies to dinnet vs quitting smoking or weaning off emotional eating habits will obviously not follow the same path to success. And even the smoking habit will vary wildly from person to person if one has been smoking 30 years vs 5 or less, lol. Sounds obvious, but it's good to keep in mind when we line up our goals. 

• Like 3

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

4 hours ago, peelout said:

http://jamesclear.com/new-habit

On average, it takes more than 2 months before a new behavior becomes automatic — 66 days to be exact. And how long it takes a new habit to form can vary widely depending on the behavior, the person, and the circumstances. In Lally's study, it took anywhere from 18 days to 254 days for people to form a new habit. 

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

This is true. Brushing one's teeth regularly or adding in more veggies to dinnet vs quitting smoking or weaning off emotional eating habits will obviously not follow the same path to success. And even the smoking habit will vary wildly from person to person if one has been smoking 30 years vs 5 or less, lol. Sounds obvious, but it's good to keep in mind when we line up our goals. 

I still don't think I can create a habit in just 18 days. Maybe that is just my personality. I'm a creature of habits but it takes a long time for me to ingrain a habit. Even if that habit is just brushing my teeth at a certain time of day. I guess it depends on your definition of habit. My definition of habit is that it is something I do without effort, without having to think about it much. If it still takes me effort to remember to do something, then it is not a habit yet. 

For example I workout without thinking about it much, because that's just what I do. It's automatic, I lift the weights. But mobility I had in my last challenge for 5 weeks and it still is taking me lots of effort to remember to do it. I want the things I am working on to become automatic, habits on auto-pilot. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

For example I workout without thinking about it much, because that's just what I do. It's automatic, I lift the weights. But mobility I had in my last challenge for 5 weeks and it still is taking me lots of effort to remember to do it. I want the things I am working on to become automatic, habits on auto-pilot. 

Thats cause lifting heavy has obvious results... mobility...  just sucks.

Image result for ain't got time for that

• Like 4

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

12 minutes ago, Br0din said:

100% accurate.

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

19 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I still don't think I can create a habit in just 18 days. Maybe that is just my personality. I'm a creature of habits but it takes a long time for me to ingrain a habit. Even if that habit is just brushing my teeth at a certain time of day. I guess it depends on your definition of habit. My definition of habit is that it is something I do without effort, without having to think about it much. If it still takes me effort to remember to do something, then it is not a habit yet. 

Completely agree.  I did start a new habit about 2 wks ago that is feeling fairly automatic, but it was very simple.  I read that razors will last longer if you dry them after use.  I tried this and go through a little drying process that takes about 30s now every time I shave (daily).  I've already doubled the time I've used the same razor, and I'm still using it.  The cue is finishing shaving.  The routine is the drying.  The reward is not only the money I'm saving, but the "kick" I'm getting out of how much longer my blade is using.  It's been very easy for me to follow this routine daily.   But I wouldn't feel comfortable calling something of anything but a very simple habit a fully automated habit for at least 3months.  If I do it that long w/ out missing a day, it's probably a habit.  But even then, it's a new habit.  Much easier to fall out of a new habit than an old, established habit.  So even once you start defining something as a habit and it feels automated, new habits still require some monitoring or you can slip out of the habit.  There is also a word for how easy it is for a habit to be "lost" but I have forgotten it yet again (the most loathed knows the word).  Like smoking has a very low likelihood that once it is a habit, it will ever stop being a habit on its own.  Contrast that with someone not eating sugar for 3 months.  This has a high likelihood that the person will slip up a few times and then start eating sugar again.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

2 hours ago, Br0din said:

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

100% accurate.

It all makes sense now... faster gratification. ;) Hence my coffee addiction... 

1 hour ago, peelout said:

Completely agree.  I did start a new habit about 2 wks ago that is feeling fairly automatic, but it was very simple.  I read that razors will last longer if you dry them after use.  I tried this and go through a little drying process that takes about 30s now every time I shave (daily).  I've already doubled the time I've used the same razor, and I'm still using it.  The cue is finishing shaving.  The routine is the drying.  The reward is not only the money I'm saving, but the "kick" I'm getting out of how much longer my blade is using.  It's been very easy for me to follow this routine daily.   But I wouldn't feel comfortable calling something of anything but a very simple habit a fully automated habit for at least 3months.  If I do it that long w/ out missing a day, it's probably a habit.  But even then, it's a new habit.  Much easier to fall out of a new habit than an old, established habit.  So even once you start defining something as a habit and it feels automated, new habits still require some monitoring or you can slip out of the habit.  There is also a word for how easy it is for a habit to be "lost" but I have forgotten it yet again (the most loathed knows the word).  Like smoking has a very low likelihood that once it is a habit, it will ever stop being a habit on its own.  Contrast that with someone not eating sugar for 3 months.  This has a high likelihood that the person will slip up a few times and then start eating sugar again.

Those are some good points you make: 

- some habits may always be a default habit if we don't stick to the new habits (smoking, sugar)

- some habits are easier to fall of the wagon from 

- the length of time you had the habit is a factor

Drinking enough water is one of my biggest struggles. I get no immediate gratification out of it. It can be difficult to measure because I get annoyed by trying to track my water intake and then stop tracking. I am never in the same place every day for every bottle of water.

The new way I'm thinking about this habit is to try to take my water bottle with me everywhere and then fill it any time it is empty even if I'm not thirsty. I'm more likely to drink water if it is mindless and right there, rather than having to force myself to get up and get water. I guess my motto is *always have water on hand.* I drink plenty of water for the average person, but I'm supposed to drink *extra* water. The more the merrier. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

mountain goat fact of the day, apparently their powerful shoulder and neck muscles help them propel up mountains.

I'm having such a hard time imagining this.  All I can think of is a goat scrunching it's neck and releasing it like those little toy boxing robots to shoot up the mountain. 

• Like 3
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

I feel like something like smoking or sugar or coffee should not be classed as a habit. Those things are usually addictions and not something as easy to stop as say, biting your finger nails or remembering to floss.

If it is something that causes you physical distress it is far, far more than a bad habit and I don't feel they simply be called habits. A lot of addictions to share commonalities with bad habits though so I guess they tend to be lumped together​ a lot of the time.

Although I wonder, in general for this group of Nerds, do we find making or breaking a habit easier?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leigh said:

I feel like something like smoking or sugar or coffee should not be classed as a habit. Those things are usually addictions and not something as easy to stop as say, biting your finger nails or remembering to floss.

If it is something that causes you physical distress it is far, far more than a bad habit and I don't feel they simply be called habits. A lot of addictions to share commonalities with bad habits though so I guess they tend to be lumped together a lot of the time.

Although I wonder, in general for this group of Nerds, do we find making or breaking a habit easier?

I'm definitely no expert, everything below comes from what I've read and what I've learned works for me based on my experiences.  

I would say it comes down to semantics.  

We generally classify good routines as habits and bad ones as addictions.  So in general, that would be part of where they differ.  For strong addictions, the reward is the surge in dopamine in the brain which gives us that "ahhhh" feeling.  This dopamine surge is so powerful that the brain craves whatever we are addicted to and relentlessly tries to get us to use whatever we are addicted to.  A smoker without cigarettes can have a terrible flu and will still drive to a store in the middle of a snow storm to get them.  On the other hand, most habits do not rise to the level of a "craving".  Brushing my teeth is a strong daily habit for me and is at the level of complete automaticity.  I never plan for it or decide whether to do it, but it always gets done, and pretty much in the same order with several other grooming habits every day.  But I never crave that next tooth brushing time, like I do a cigarette.  

Habits and addictions are the same in that they both follow the cue/routine/reward loop.  For brushing my teeth, the cue is that I woke up or am getting ready for bed.  For addictions such as smoking, the cue can be many things such as time since last smoke (due to nicotene level in the blood dropping), stress, socialization, getting in the car (thats a big one for me since I have never smoked at home or in front of my children), boredom, etc.  Cues can take many forms, some of them very subtle.  I've been exercising every day for almost three months and my brain starts thinking about when I will be fitting exercise into my day during my morning wake up routine.  They both have a reward, which again can be subtle or obvious.  For addictions, the craving the brain has for dopamine is the reward (if you read up on dopamine, the dopemine levels from addictions like drugs, porn, M, smoking, etc exceed even the levels derived from sex).  For a lot of habits such as exercise or eating a salad 5 days/wk, the reward might just be a general good feeling that I did something that was good for me.  I don't crave that next salad, I just eat about 5/wk cause I think they are good for me.

As for which is harder, making or breaking a habit, I would say breaking a habit.

Addictions that we want to stop are things that are bad for us and we don't want to do them.  The cravings for addictions are so powerful that we've been doing them even though we hate them and know they are bad for us.  It takes a pretty strong craving to know cigarettes will kill us, taste terrible, make us stink, and cost a fortune, and yet we continue.  

On the other hand, good habits can be difficult to create, but at least it is something we know is good for us and really want to do them. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

17 hours ago, peelout said:

As for which is harder, making or breaking a habit, I would say breaking a habit.

Ah...but it also depends on how you frame the question - Am I "making" the habit of eating better food OR "breaking" the habit of eating shitty food?

• Like 3

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

9 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Ah...but it also depends on how you frame the question - Am I "making" the habit of eating better food OR "breaking" the habit of eating shitty food?

Positive always beats out negative. Every single time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Not in multiplication... or division.

Edit: but negativity is still self defeating. 

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

8 minutes ago, Urgan said:

86608a0a9e457473da272954639d8836.jpg

• Like 4

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

1 hour ago, Blocky said:

86608a0a9e457473da272954639d8836.jpg

AUrdSBfm.png

Also yes. Cheeseburger.

• Like 5

I'm a little fatigued and tired to quote everyone this morning, so let's pretend it happened until I'm fully caffeinated and fed? Just use your imagination a little bit... [insert comments about habit formation and glasses of water and cheeseburgers here]

Friday

[x] work goals

[/] watered last work plant for the week

aaaaand that's it. options could have been mobility and cardio. but I was in a mood and could not be buggered to do my mobility. I went to bed early instead. But that's the first time I've intentionally skipped and not just forgotten, so I guess that is some kind of weird win. after I do my home house plant care today that goal will be checked off. I usually do that on Sundays.

tumblr_m9g15gIwp01rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Saturday

[x] mobility 

[x] read squat notes

[x] 15 min of cardio on the arc trainer post lifting

I started a sort of challenge BuJo paper journal. Tomorrow I'll take a pic and show the achievements for the week recap. Forced myself to do my cardio at the end of lifting. Note to self: just do it next week on Thursday so you don't have to cram it into a later day. 

Saturday BB Club
Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 8:00 AM

Pause Squats
Set 1: 45 lb × 5
Set 2: 60 lb × 5
Set 3: 60 lb × 5
Set 4: 60 lb × 5

Feet Up Bench
Set 1: 60 lb × 8
Set 2: 60 lb × 8
Set 3: 60 lb × 8
Set 4: 60 lb × 6

Hip Thrust (Bands)
Set 1: 14 reps
Set 2: 14 reps

Notes: blue band (this is a bump up from red band last week, so hip thrust PR? LOL)

Lat Pulldown
Set 1: 70 lb × 8
Set 2: 70 lb × 8
Set 3: 70 lb × 6

Bird Dog
Set 1: 14 reps
Set 2: 14 reps

Deadlift
Set 1: 135 lb × 5
Set 2: 140 lb × 5
Set 3: 155 lb × 5

Notes: Practicing alternate grip

This wasn't working sets DL. Coach had me try alternate grip because my grip was failing at 155# on Wednesday. It was okay....  I feel like it would help more if my left arm was the one with the palm facing up. It's my weaker arm and it would help more I think. But I have had so many surgeries on that arm that I don't want to put extra bicep strain on it. That said, alternate grip with right palm facing up was still an improvement on how 155 felt. 

Elliptical
Set 1: 15 min

Notes: ArcTrainer

PL gym doesn't have an elliptical which I think is awesome. I'd rather have rowers and sleds any day. I would have actually done sleds and then ArcTrainer but there were a bunch of people doing shit on the turf. 

Hiking things

Going for a hike today! It's going to be either snow on the ground or just generally wet. I had ordered hiking boots online but they were too big. So I ended up going yesterday to Dick's sporting goods and buying some that cost more. But I'm exited to try them out. And I'm excited it will be in the 40's instead of 32F like last Sunday. 

Rocky-Mountain-Goat-Alliance_Harvest-in-

• Like 6

Had to Google birddog:

https://goo.gl/images/8mLwUV

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

11 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Found this cool group to follow on IG. Too bad I don't live in Oregon. :(

https://fatgirlshiking.com/

I like this.  I see a lot of different groups whose focus is on specific issues but all the goup does is talk or blog.  This group promotes well being through an activity.  Great job.

Curious where the name Taddea Zhaan comes from.  I googled it and all I came up with were your NF postings.

Oh, and great job  on another killer w/o.

Current Challenge 

27 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

Had to Google birddog:

https://goo.gl/images/8mLwUV

It could be worse, coach calls them horizontal horse stance, which makes even less sense. I call them bird dog because that's what every physical therapist I've ever had called them. #cantteacholddognewtricks

18 minutes ago, peelout said:

I like this.  I see a lot of different groups whose focus is on specific issues but all the goup does is talk or blog.  This group promotes well being through an activity.  Great job.

Curious where the name Taddea Zhaan comes from.  I googled it and all I came up with were your NF postings.

Oh, and great job  on another killer w/o.

My name is from Zotoh Zhaan, a character on Farscape. She's a Delvian, they are a plant based species. She's a tough lady, a healer, and a priest of the Delvian Seek (pa'u).

• Like 2