• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Broba Fett

Broba Fett Out-lifts The Warriors

1 hour ago, mr_willes said:

I recommend gloves and starting out easy on the first 1,5 work up to going full banana's at the last one, that will get you heartbeat running!

1 hour ago, calanthrophy said:

Probably.

41 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Darn, I saw your post and threw that up as a last second idea, hoping you'd see it in time.

Yes. You're wrists are not as strong as you think they are. Ever. Also, user the early parts of that workout to see what punches feel comfortable, then stick with those when you, as @mr_willes put oh so eloquently, go full bananas.

Excellent.  I will see if there is a set of community gloves/wraps and if not I'll shadowbox instead. 

On 3/27/2017 at 9:08 PM, Broba Fett said:

Had the kid all day today for spring break. Still managed to get over half my normal chest/bis workout in downstairs in the basement. Total of 13,200lbs.

You don't truly appreciate dumbbells until you're doing flys holding plates in each hand. 

Should be able to get in for legs and back later in the week and amp it up a bit.

Guess I'll skip cardio tomorrow since I haven't been told what to do...

Looks like you're doing pretty well!  I'm keeping up with the thread but not putting up anything like the volume to challenge anyone, so I'm kinda the silent stalker right now. :D 

I did manage a good Monday/Wednesday workout, so I'm up to 39,070 pounds for the week so far.  Not even close to the top, but nice to finally not have knee pain.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oramac said:

nice to finally not have knee pain.  

That's the real win.  Waaaay more important than my little challenge.  Glad you seem to have found the problem.

----------------------

This morning was an absolute clusterfuck, but I ended up getting in to the gym anyway.

Fiancee gave me hell last night for wanting to get up at 5am to go to the gym.  Said I should want to stay home and take her and the kid out to breakfast since it's spring break. 

I honestly just didn't feel like arguing so I just gave in and slept in till 6:30 like normal. 

When I woke up I just felt like garbage.  Guilty that I didn't go to the gym, feeling fat from eating badly, etc.  I told her I felt gross and she suggested that I go to the gym. 

Then got upset when I said that if I did that I'd likely not be able to take them to breakfast.  Didn't understand why I couldn't just cut my workout short.

To which I replied "Well if you hadn't bitched at me last night about it I would have gotten up at 5 and been done by now."  

Which was not the right answer, even though it was the truth.  

Long story short, I left mid-fight because I was over it, got a full leg day in at the gym, came home and immediately showered, and was able to take them out to breakfast.  While at breakfast I got to enjoy a bunch of snipes about how she was "keeping me from living my dream" and how she wishes she has time to do the things she wants to do. 

I think she gets upset with me because she doesn't get to do some of the things she wants to do and she thinks my gym time is fun time or hobby time for me.  Like I'm going fishing or something.  It's not.  I'm just trying to not die in my 40s. 

Annnnyway, I was totally distracted at the gym and that led to a couple screwups on my bar math.  First one was jumping to 325x8 on my 3rd set of Hack Squats when my working set was 335x8.  So I had sets at 145, 235, 325, and 335.  

Second mess-up was I somehow thought the 540lbs that was on the leg press was actually 250lbs.  So my warmup was 540x8.  Realized my mistake right away but just went with it.  Leg press ended up being 540x8, 540x8, 590x8, 700x4.  I'm hopeful that with my regular warmup sets I can finish 700x8.

New 12RM on all my other movements for the day for a new one day record of 47,880lbs of iron moved.  Add in 10 warmup air squats and my basement workout from Monday and my weekly total is up to 63,080lbs.  

Tomorrow morning will be my cardio for Mr Willes and Grumble.  Expect the 20 mins of pushups and squats to really rocket the poundage up. Deads/back/tris on Friday. 

Oh, and just realized I completely forgot the 5/3/1 plan.  I guess I'll just keep going the way things are to finish out the challenge. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

I think she gets upset with me because she doesn't get to do some of the things she wants to do and she thinks my gym time is fun time or hobby time for me.  Like I'm going fishing or something.  It's not.  I'm just trying to not die in my 40s. 

This right here. Mrs G was complaining about me going to the gym so much, I told her it's as important as work and school. And I want never want Grimble to see me as the fat dad. Fuck that.

You'll make it through this. 

I'm totally doing the workout tomorrow too. Forearms and delts does not a workout day make.

• Like 1

In my experience, people who do not regularly exercise 3-6 days per week will have a difficult time understanding the role of the gym/fitness in our lives. 

I also find that people who do not regularly exercise 3-6 days per week will say they do not have time but what they really mean is is that it is not a priority for them. I have never met a person who said "I do not have time" who actually did not have the time. I know female doctors who have kids and still make time to exercise. Most every person on this planet can spend 20 min per day exercising. Ditto goes for any other hobbies or life goals that people have. Even when I was on dialysis, getting my masters degree full time, and doing my internship all at the same time, I could still make time for things that were important enough to me. Prioritizing is a thing. 

Ever since I saw this quote I have thought about it a lot. 

12196124_10104388412088841_5228719735351001836_n.jpg 

We make time for what is a priority in our lives. 

I'm not on your side or her side, only making observations about what I have experienced. 

I sometimes get into tension from Mr. T because I no longer go with him to his fight practices because I either need to go to bed early to wake up for barbell club, or I am lifting during that time. But that is his goal and these are mine. (when I go it is just social time for me and I sit around wishing I was doing something productive even though our friends are there) I think a lot of couples get into it about these things. 

What kind of things does she wish she had time for? Could the two of you talk about that? 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Grumble said:

And I want never want Grimble to see me as the fat dad. Fuck that.

Absolutely!  She and I want to have a kid after we get married and I do not want to bring a kid into this world and then die at 42 like my uncle did a few years ago.  Also, without going into too much detail, there's a chance that I'm unable based on my previous marriage.  If there's any chance that improving my fitness level can help my chances at being a dad I want to do so.

27 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I also find that people who do not regularly exercise 3-6 days per week will say they do not have time but what they really mean is is that it is not a priority for them.

27 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

What kind of things does she wish she had time for?

It is 100% this.  The excuse that she uses is that she doesn't have time because when she gets off of work she always goes and picks up her kid from after school care and has the kid the rest of the night.

The thing is, we pay for aftercare to watch the kid as late as 5:30 and my fiancee gets off work anywhere from 2-4:30 depending on the day.  She could go and get in a full workout 5x/week (EDIT: Or whatever she feels like she's unable to do) and pick up the kid at 5:30.  

So that's the tricky thing.  She could be working out or doing whatever the hell she thinks shes unable to do every single day.  She's just prioritizing picking up her kid earlier.  Which... I really don't feel I can safely point out.  She goes into mama bear mode at the drop of a hat. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

So that's the tricky thing.  She could be working out or doing whatever the hell she thinks shes unable to do every single day.  She's just prioritizing picking up her kid earlier.  Which... I really don't feel I can safely point out.  She goes into mama bear mode at the drop of a hat. 

You are not wrong about this, I do agree that if she really wanted it that much, she could pick her up a little later a couple times per week. There is often another element here for working mothers, though, and that is guilt. Was the girl always in daycare before she started school? A lot of moms have a really difficult time with this, even if it's sometimes on a subconscious level. Having a child and then handing it off for someone else to take care of is really hard for some of us. That feeling of guilt sometimes compels us to want to spend as much time as possible with the kid--which isn't always healthy for us. It's hard to learn to take time out for ourselves and it's easy to become bitter when it seems like others don't have that same "burden". 

I think you are also right that this isn't an easy topic to broach. Perhaps if a specific instance of something she wants to do comes up, you could make a non loaded suggestion of, "oh hey, you could just do that quick before you pick up the girl" and leave it at that. But yea, if it feels like it's just going to be a fight starter, should probably let her come to her own conclusions unless she asks for advice. 

On a related tangent, her reaction to you wanting to go to the gym-- I can speak to that from a wife point of view. Though it's not the gym that bugs me, there are times that I get annoyed when I feel like some thing is more important to Mr. Koo that me/our family. For me that trigger point is football. Sometimes it feels our life is arranged around effing football games for a few months of the year. Granted, that is not a completely fair comparison, since gyming is important to health, unlike sitting on one's ass to watch a football game. However, I was just recognizing that feeling in myself. That feeling maybe isn't always justified, but it's there none-the-less. Maybe that's what's bugging her. Perhaps a few extra efforts to do some fun things together may make that less of a feel for her. :)

That turned into a novel, take it or leave it :)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Haikoo said:

Basically you described my complete experience, and i just wrote down my own conclusion.

Sort of a TL:DR --> see this conclusion ;)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Haikoo said:

Thank you Haikoo.  I think that's excellent advice.  Turns out much of the argument was butthurt over me going hunting next week (see below) so I've adjusted my fall hunting plans to be closer to home and include her more if shes interested. 

22 hours ago, mr_willes said:

My advice don't argue with with the momma bear instinct, it's not a winnable situation, with time she will realize... This is my experience...

Well the argument continued last night when I got home.  We were both assholes at different times but hopefully we can move forward.  At one point I was a real dick and did the exact opposite of what Willy said above.  ("My priority is my health, I'm sorry that yours isn't.")  At which point she pointed out that it couldn't be that much of a priority since I ate a bunch of bullshit after dinner.  (Failed willpower checks majorly and ate a bunch of bullshit to make myself feel better.)

It came out that she was partially upset because she was jealous that I get to take half the week off next week and go turkey hunting without her.

Basically much of the argument stemmed from her being jealous that I get five weeks of paid time off per year and she gets two.  

Funny thing about it is that there's now a good chance that my hunt won't happen anyway.  Storms in the forecast. :(

The big outcome is that I'm focusing my fall hunts on areas an hour or less from home so that she can come with if she wants and so I don't have to take time off just to hunt.  In return I asked her to try to be more honest about what was bugging her.  I really hope we can cut down the severity of these fights before the wedding. 

Got up this morning and got in @Grumble's assigned workout.  It took me mentally straight back to a conditioning session at my old CF gym.  I got through 7 full rounds in the 20 minute AMRAP.  The squats were what got me, after heavy squats and leg presses yesterday.  Still though, seven rounds of that left me drenched and with 28,000lbs of half bodyweight volume. 

Deadlifts and Willes' boxing tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Sounds like you guys did a great job of resolving it!

You are right to ask for that kind of honesty about what's bugging her. You've heard it before and it can't be reiterated enough: COMMUNICATION is the key to a happy marriage.  No one's perfect and none of us are mind readers. Mr. Koo and I still have to work at this sometimes, even after 18+ years. It's easy to let it slide when we get wrapped up in life.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts :D

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Thank you Haikoo.  I think that's excellent advice.  Turns out much of the argument was butthurt over me going hunting next week (see below) so I've adjusted my fall hunting plans to be closer to home and include her more if shes interested. 

Well the argument continued last night when I got home.  We were both assholes at different times but hopefully we can move forward.  At one point I was a real dick and did the exact opposite of what Willy said above.  ("My priority is my health, I'm sorry that yours isn't.")  At which point she pointed out that it couldn't be that much of a priority since I ate a bunch of bullshit after dinner.  (Failed willpower checks majorly and ate a bunch of bullshit to make myself feel better.)

It came out that she was partially upset because she was jealous that I get to take half the week off next week and go turkey hunting without her.

Basically much of the argument stemmed from her being jealous that I get five weeks of paid time off per year and she gets two.  

Funny thing about it is that there's now a good chance that my hunt won't happen anyway.  Storms in the forecast. :(

The big outcome is that I'm focusing my fall hunts on areas an hour or less from home so that she can come with if she wants and so I don't have to take time off just to hunt.  In return I asked her to try to be more honest about what was bugging her.  I really hope we can cut down the severity of these fights before the wedding. 

Got up this morning and got in @Grumble's assigned workout.  It took me mentally straight back to a conditioning session at my old CF gym.  I got through 7 full rounds in the 20 minute AMRAP.  The squats were what got me, after heavy squats and leg presses yesterday.  Still though, seven rounds of that left me drenched and with 28,000lbs of half bodyweight volume. 

Deadlifts and Willes' boxing tomorrow. 

Two books that might be helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/What-Mother-Couldnt-Father-Didnt/dp/0060171626

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=love+and+respect

The second one is pretty heavy handed on the Christian Refrences and the writing style is a little stodgy, but the info is really good. The first one is a little older but solid, and more accessible to the general public.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Haikoo said:

No one's perfect and none of us are mind readers. Mr. Koo and I still have to work at this sometimes, even after 18+ years. It's easy to let it slide when we get wrapped up in life.

Thanks Koo.  I'm glad we are both willing to work on it.  She makes me pretty damn happy most of the time and I don't want to jeopardize that over silly fights.

11 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Two books that might be helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/What-Mother-Couldnt-Father-Didnt/dp/0060171626

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=love+and+respect

The second one is pretty heavy handed on the Christian Refrences and the writing style is a little stodgy, but the info is really good. The first one is a little older but solid, and more accessible to the general public.

Thanks very much sir.  Ordered the first one. I'll let you know what I think.  

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, Broba Fett said:

I'm a bit late on this and glad you've worked things out now, but have you told her this ^

If this comes up again tell her that this is what you're scared of. Chances are it will scare her too, and may make her feel a bit more sympathetic to your gym time.

Equally though, good choice having your autumn hunts closer to home - compromise is definitely king.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also, I just learned it is part of a larger quote. 

instead-of-saying-i-dont-have-time-its-n 

I have been telling people the first bit for about a year now, and I never know it was a whole quote! Borrowing this for a lot of future use, thanks!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

but have you told her this ^

Yup.  Her response was "You can't be that concerned about it since you're eating X".  (I had eaten some garbage after work because I was upset.)

It was not a great night.  We've moved past it.  This isn't the first time she's started a big argument about something that doesn't really have anything to do with why she's really upset.  (She was getting on me about going to the gym but she was upset about me going hunting next week.)  I'm hoping the book Tank suggested will discuss that a bit and help me to pick it up/help her understand what she's really upset about.

------------------------

Deadlifts went well this morning. 

I continued my "new 5RM every other week" trend by working up to and finishing the 390x5 that I missed last week.  Finished up with 3x10x280.  I think I may be overdoing a bit with those so the volume may come down a bit in future weeks.  Or I may switch it up to 18" deads or hex bar deads or something else. Not sure.  

I only had time for that and DB rows.  Total of 21,530lbs of iron moved.  Brings weekly total up to 112,610lbs.

Didn't have time for most of my back accessories or Willes' shadowboxing (I did find out there are no communty gloves :() so I'll have to get that in before Sunday night. 

Without going into too much detail, I'm having a shitty day at work.  Good thing is they're coming fewer and farther in between.  Grinding my way through to get to my easy day tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Oh, I almost forgot!  I knew there was something else I was going to ask y'all.

At what point do you think it's appropriate to give advice to a stranger in the gym?

There was a young guy deadlifting on the platform next to me with real awful form.  Like dangerous awful.  Starting out 6" in front of his legs, jerking up with his back, swinging the weight  crashing back into his thighs awful.  Was lifting 135, which was probably just under his bodyweight.  I'd put him at 155 or so. 

I felt like I should say something but I didn't want to be "that guy".  Especially since his girlfriend was there and I'm pretty sure he was trying to impress her.  

My dead form isn't perfect but I felt I could have given him a couple pointers that may have helped him avoid injury. 

What would you do in that situation?  

My $.02

Fiance thing: I have gotten into an argument with Mr. Dragonfly which turned out to be an argument about something else.  And I didn't realize it when the argument started. Sometimes growing pains happen in a relationship.  As we grew together and communicated better (learning each other's stuff), those became more and more infrequent. 

The gym advice thing: My self imposed rule: I never give unsolicited form advice.  Ever.  The only advice that I ever appreciated (unsolicited), the guy said, "Do you want to know how I get the second set of 45s on to deadlift without a jack?"  He saw me struggling and asked if I wanted to know his way.  I could have said, "thanks, but I like to do it this way" and not had to hear his advice.  I said, "Heck yes" and learned something.  That was super appreciated.  Anything else has been irritating.  Even when well intentioned, and even if they may have been correct.  Ex: Lots of us KNOW that our form is jacked, and we are working on it.  Having a stranger point out that I just good morninged a squat (my own sometime issue) would irritate the pee right out of me. 

That's just me, though.  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Lots of us KNOW that our form is jacked, and we are working on it.  Having a stranger point out that I just good morninged a squat (my own sometime issue) would irritate the pee right out of me. 

I absolutely agree.  I have the same general philosophy.   I've had guys give me unsolicited advice before and it's just pissed me off.  I just felt... obligated?  I guess?  

I didn't want the guy to blow a disc or something. 

I mean, I didn't say anything.  That would require talking to someone. But I felt like maybe I should have. 

33 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

And I didn't realize it when the argument started.

We've done that a couple times as well.  Gotten really heated and then realized we were arguing about how to do common core subtraction so we could help her kid.   That kind of thing.

Thanks EmD.  I think it'll be ok in the long run. 

• Like 2

Wording on gym advice is also key. "Hey man, can I give you a few pointers that will help you lift even more weight?"  And explain about the bar being so far away and efficiency. May (or may not) be more well received than "I saw your ugly ass form..." 

So, framing it as a way to improve his lifts vs as a way to criticize. Like, you look like a dude who wants to lift even more weight? "I got this tip from my trainer/coach, etc" may also make it sound less like you are being a wise ass. 

I don't know. I'm not a guy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

"Hey man, can I give you a few pointers that will help you lift even more weight?"  And explain about the bar being so far away and efficiency. May (or may not) be more well received than "I saw your ugly ass form..." 

Good idea.  I think that probably would have worked well.  Depends on how easily embarrassed he gets in front of his girlfriend. 

I may try that if I see him pulling again.  Or maybe not.  Because talking to people.

------------------------

Little to report.  Easy day at work today followed by a hell of a day tomorrow.

We go up to the farm at 8am to help with chores/shoot our new ARs/throw a surprise bday party for my aunt.

Leave farm around 3 or 4 to drive home to bloomington (2hr drive).

I turn around immediately and drive to Metropolis (4hr drive).

Get whatever sleep I can on my buddy's couch.

Get up well before dawn and sneak out into the woods into a blind and try to bag a turkey.  (All of this in 82% chance of rain.)

Drive home Monday afternoon and hopefully pluck a turkey.

Try to get in a gym session Monday before fiancee and her daughter get home.

So yeah... not a lot of posts for the next couple days but I'll try to take a fuck ton of photos to post later next week. 

If the hunt isn't cancelled due to lightning I'll only have one day.  Wish me luck!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Wish me luck!

Good luck!!  I just found out the guy that owned the farm we use for hunting sold it. :( So I'm super jealous right now!