• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Broba Fett

Broba Fett Out-lifts The Warriors

Today was a day of epic fail.  I got 82689 for the week.

It happens, you can't beat yourself up too much about (or eat a tub of ice cream). But it's OK to kick your own ass just a little bit, have a bite of chocolate and drive on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

It happens, you can't beat yourself up too much about (or eat a tub of ice cream). But it's OK to kick your own ass just a little bit, have a bite of chocolate and drive on.

Thanks, bro. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

What Grumble said.  It happens to all of us.  

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Clearly you've never seen Sam hit an MFP high score.

• Like 4

Clearly you've never seen Sam hit an MFP high score.

In all fairness, I've never seen anyone here do anything.

Also, it's can't as in bad idea.

• Like 1

Just put in my total, a meagre 9,462 for the week. It's entirely in pull-ups if that makes it any less embarrassing :apathy:

• Like 2

On 3/31/2017 at 4:04 PM, Broba Fett said:

Oh, I almost forgot!  I knew there was something else I was going to ask y'all.

At what point do you think it's appropriate to give advice to a stranger in the gym?

There was a young guy deadlifting on the platform next to me with real awful form.  Like dangerous awful.  Starting out 6" in front of his legs, jerking up with his back, swinging the weight  crashing back into his thighs awful.  Was lifting 135, which was probably just under his bodyweight.  I'd put him at 155 or so. 

I felt like I should say something but I didn't want to be "that guy".  Especially since his girlfriend was there and I'm pretty sure he was trying to impress her.  

My dead form isn't perfect but I felt I could have given him a couple pointers that may have helped him avoid injury. 

What would you do in that situation?  

Funny you mention this; I recently had a similar major ethical crisis at the gym.

One of the trainers was standing there watching his client do something between a quarter squat and a good morning with the bar resting on her neck. How do I walk up to someone who gets paid to train people and tell them they're going to injure someone?

I took the cowardly way out and didn't say anything. Filed that trainer's face away for later and told myself if I saw him trying to murder another client I'd complain to management. Not sure how much good it'd do though. Why would they believe random gym guy's word over someone with pieces of paper that say he knows what he's doing?

40 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

Funny you mention this; I recently had a similar major ethical crisis at the gym.

One of the trainers was standing there watching his client do something between a quarter squat and a good morning with the bar resting on her neck. How do I walk up to someone who gets paid to train people and tell them they're going to injure someone?

I took the cowardly way out and didn't say anything. Filed that trainer's face away for later and told myself if I saw him trying to murder another client I'd complain to management. Not sure how much good it'd do though. Why would they believe random gym guy's word over someone with pieces of paper that say he knows what he's doing?

I often feel this way, more so since I've moved to a commercial gym.  I typically ignore, or at least try to ignore what other people are doing.  Unless someone asks my opinion or advice I stay out of it only because I have absolutely no context for what they are doing. There could be injuries, lack of mobility, different goals than I have, or just something I've never seen before.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, calanthrophy said:

I almost finished my trainer cert just so I could help people like that, but couldn't justify the cost at the time. I have no plans to become a personal trainer professionally. But the knowledge about my body that I gained from studying for the cert was immense.

19 minutes ago, matty_mcfly said:

I often feel this way, more so since I've moved to a commercial gym.  I typically ignore, or at least try to ignore what other people are doing.  Unless someone asks my opinion or advice I stay out of it only because I have absolutely no context for what they are doing. There could be injuries, lack of mobility, different goals than I have, or just something I've never seen before.

You have to ignore them at a commercial gym otherwise you spend all your time trying to fix intentional idiots.

Oh, @Broba Fett Is last week closed? Are we ready for our next round of cardio?

1 hour ago, matty_mcfly said:

because I have absolutely no context for what they are doing

This is such an important point.

It's great that people want to share their passion and experience, it's even better when they only do it if they are asked to or paid to. I had a car accident and had to modify movements to be able to continue to train and I also needed to do some weird movements the physio gave me that were counter intuitive, sure enough the comments came and followed by embarrassing conversations.

If I was going to give him advice it wouldn't be in an open forum, I'd have a very quiet word with him on the side when his g/f went to the bathroom or something. 

• Like 3

This is such an important point.

It's great that people want to share their passion and experience, it's even better when they only do it if they are asked to or paid to. I had a car accident and had to modify movements to be able to continue to train and I also needed to do some weird movements the physio gave me that were counter intuitive, sure enough the comments came and followed by embarrassing conversations.

If I was going to give him advice it wouldn't be in an open forum, I'd have a very quiet word with him on the side when his g/f went to the bathroom or something. 

All good points. I think I've decided to go the route of Matty McFly. I'm pretty sure if some rando came up to me and gave me advice I'd blow it off so I'll just keep to myself and let them do them.

Just put in my total, a meagre 9,462 for the week. It's entirely in pull-ups if that makes it any less embarrassing :apathy:

Considering I've never done an unassisted pull up in my life, I consider that more impressive than any of our numbers.

You have to ignore them at a commercial gym otherwise you spend all your time trying to fix intentional idiots.

Oh, @Broba Fett Is last week closed? Are we ready for our next round of cardio?

Yessir. Got my shadowboxing in this weekend. Could not believe how out of breath I can get by throwing hands at nothing. Hit me with my orders for the week.

------------------

Recap of the weekend/hunting trip is below. Skip ahead to the next dotted line if you just want to read my workout volume this morning.

Sunday was a damn marathon. Up at 8 to drive 2hrs to the farm for a bday party for my aunt and to shoot our first wedding gifts:

292d92e46559a94f8c55553d812cbd35.jpg

The kid also shot her first firearm. I'll let you decide how I felt about it:

bed584a0d813eec60fed0e2adea0cea0.jpg

That legit goddamn cowboy is my cousin who owns all the cattle that I get to work with on most of my vacations.

We left the farm at 4:30 and drove two hours home. Grabbed food/camo/shotgun and turn right back around to leave at 7pm for Metropolis for a turkey hunt bright and early. At 11pm I got in to my old church buddy's house and crashed.

Up at 5:30am Monday morning to head out to the woods. We talked a bunch of birds and saw a bunch more but didn't kill one.

This is mostly due to us only having the one day to cram in catching up and hunting. After 4 hours of calling from a few locations and getting a few gobblers in to just outside of shooting range we decided to just hike around the park and see if we could flush any.

An hour or so of that and we headed back to the truck, still chatting it up. When we were just about there, a turkey burst out of the brush and sprinted across the trail about 15 yards ahead of us like a 3 foot tall velociraptor. Scared the shit out of us. If we hadn't been talking I might have gotten off a shot. Probably would have missed but I feel bad that I didn't squeeze one off.

Also found a big glade and flushed two bedded deer out of it. Could come in handy if Tammy and I come down for a day or two this fall to bowhunt.

Went and had lunch and caught up some more. My buddy is a pastor at two churches so we talked about our similar crises of faith that we both had after feeling a call to ministry in our high school years and how he just kept getting dragged back in. It was a good talk and worth the trip despite the lack of birds.

Four hours drive back home and two ticks removed from my body and I was ready for some serious sleep last night.

-------------

I'm off today and tomorrow, having hoped to be staying down and hunting both days, so I hit the gym for about two hours today. Got in my full leg day and then inserted some triceps work. Total of a new daily record 60,736lbs moved, all of it iron. Recap pasted below:

b3221272f7dc076119c0479ce09f3902.jpg

50c70ed2d0ac7898ff15c1603e88f532.jpg

113eadca136b852f796c126f5660664e.jpg

As you can see I switched my squats and leg presses to 4x12. My back was still a bit sore from deads and all the hiking/driving so I didn't want to load up 700lbs on the machine again.

It was a good choice. My legs have passed on to gains heaven.

The DNR just stocked out local trout pond so I'm hoping to get some fishing in the next two days but I've got a hell of a honey-do list to tackle first. Should get another big workout in tomorrow with no time limit on gym time so if you beat me last week get your orders in!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Goddamn! We live such different lives. I grew up in NYC, Philly and Chicago. Turkey hunts, hiking, local trout ponds, and "wedding guns" seem so foreign.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

The kid also shot her first firearm. I'll let you decide how I felt about it:

bed584a0d813eec60fed0e2adea0cea0.jpg

You obviously felt horrible.

20 sec on, 10 sec rest 2, 2 sets per exercise. Use a boxer shuffle during rest to keep HR (optional)

Pop Squats

High Knees

Walk outs w/pushup

Burpee w/jump

Lateral Jumps (Ski jumps)

Star Jumps

(rest for up to two minutes if needed at this point)

Plank to pushup position

Jumping Lunges

Jumping Jacks

Thigh Slap Jumps

Mountain Climbers

Squat Jacks

• Like 1

Goddamn! We live such different lives. I grew up in NYC, Philly and Chicago. Turkey hunts, hiking, local trout ponds, and "wedding guns" seem so foreign.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Especially crazy when you consider that the farm we are shooting at is an hour and a half from Michigan Ave.

If you ever want to experience any of that stuff (safely) you just let me know. I think there's been a Nerd Shoot brewing for a good long while.

• Like 4

You obviously felt horrible.

20 sec on, 10 sec rest 2, 2 sets per exercise. Use a boxer shuffle during rest to keep HR (optional)

Pop Squats

High Knees

Walk outs w/pushup

Burpee w/jump

Lateral Jumps (Ski jumps)

Star Jumps

(rest for up to two minutes if needed at this point)

Plank to pushup position

Jumping Lunges

Jumping Jacks

Thigh Slap Jumps

Mountain Climbers

Squat Jacks

Curse you Grumble. CURSE YOUUUUUU!

Jk, that looks fun. I'll likely get it on Thurs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matty_mcfly said:

So second. (Except Chicago...) Sounds fun tho... part of me wishes that casual air over firearms was something in my vocabulary

3 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

I think there's been a Nerd Shoot brewing for a good long while.

If I have a chance to get out the Mosins or the AK, I might just jump at this opportunity.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Curse you Grumble. CURSE YOUUUUUU!

Jk, that looks fun. I'll likely get it on Thurs.

Related image

I'll be right there with you. I hope. I hate jumping.

5 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

If you ever want to experience any of that stuff (safely) you just let me know. I think there's been a Nerd Shoot brewing for a good long while.

5 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

If I have a chance to get out the Mosins or the AK, I might just jump at this opportunity.

I am so down for this as well.  Depending on when it happens, I might have my 300 blackout upper too.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Yessir. Got my shadowboxing in this weekend. Could not believe how out of breath I can get by throwing hands at nothing. 

3ac67e34497632c44e9ecccb8a8912b9b551a9cd

• Like 2

On 4/4/2017 at 0:56 PM, imprimis5 said:

On 4/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, Oramac said:

I am so down for this as well.  Depending on when it happens, I might have my 300 blackout upper too.  

I am all for this but I'm awful at coordinating.  So if someone sets it up I will do my best to be there.

----------------------

Tammy and I did some chest and bis in the basement yesterday so we could work in all the other stuff she had planned.  Pretty light workout though, only 11,355lbs.

Did Grumble's workout today.  It was rough.  My leg DOMS was already roaring before I started so I was hurting pretty bad by the end.  Made it through though.

Super busy day back at work today.  Forgot to set an away message on Outlook so I came back to a heap-um big emails. 

Deads and back tomorrow.

• Like 3

Oh!  Forgot to mention.  Started the book Tank suggested this morning. 

So far it is right on with some of the issues we are having.  Tammy wants to read it when I'm done.  

200_s.gif

• Like 5

Blah.

I think it's time for a deload week.  

Back was still fatigued/sore from when I went to do deads.  Only managed to warm up to 365x2 before I felt strain and realized I was heading for injury if I tried to get the 395x5 I was shooting for. So I just stopped and got in my hypertrophy stuff. 

Only got in 21,677lbs to bring my weekly total to 93,768.  

I think this is a good sign that the lower percentages/volume of 5/3/1 are a good idea.  So that's the plan.  Going to see how the weekend goes before deciding if I should do a deload next week or start the first week of 5/3/1 percentages.  I think a deload and then starting a new challenge with new programming might be a good idea. 

I know it may be dirty talk around here but I'm looking into fat burners.  I'm comfortable eating what I've been eating and I've been packing on muscle but if I can increase my daily burn enough to get the scale going in the other direction overall without having more dietary restriction  I may just do so.  If any of you have advice please hit me with it.  Only thing I don't want to mess with is caffeine, as it really fucks with my head if I have too much. 

• Like 3

Just now, Broba Fett said:

I know it may be dirty talk around here but I'm looking into fat burners.  I'm comfortable eating what I've been eating and I've been packing on muscle but if I can increase my daily burn enough to get the scale going in the other direction overall without having more dietary restriction  I may just do so.  If any of you have advice please hit me with it.  Only thing I don't want to mess with is caffeine, as it really fucks with my head if I have too much. 

Not what you're thinking, but interval training. Also, high protein high fat low carb will do the trick too.

• Like 1