• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Broba Fett

Broba Fett Out-lifts The Warriors

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Not what you're thinking, but interval training. Also, high protein high fat low carb will do the trick too.

 

I think that misses the point of more dietary restrictions though. 

 

Broba, Interval training would definitely ramp up the burn, especially as a finisher. Like the last couple of workouts I gave you. :)

However, if you are insistent on a stimulant free supplement, Cellucor's CLK non-stimulant has worked well for me in the past. I've been doing some reading, and Transparent Labs apparently has one that does some amazing things alongside diet and exercise, but I've never used it and can't attest to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Not what you're thinking, but interval training. Also, high protein high fat low carb will do the trick too.

26 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Broba, Interval training would definitely ramp up the burn, especially as a finisher. Like the last couple of workouts I gave you. :)

 

Darn you guys with your good advice.  Darn you all to heck. 

 

Thanks for the recommendations Grumble, I'll do some research on those two. 

 

14 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is also dirty dirty talk. How much cardio do you do on average? 

 

Not enough.  An hour per week or so. Less this week as I've only done the workout Grumble ordered. 

 

Honestly I know should probably just be running for an hour and a half 3x/week instead of lifting for such long sessions.  

 

I also know that I should be eating 2900 calories of meats and veggies and not touching flour/sugar/fruit.  

 

I also know that I'm being a big baby about all of it and want to have my cake and eat it too.  Literally.  And still burn fat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

 

Not enough.  An hour per week or so. Less this week as I've only done the workout Grumble ordered. 

 

Honestly I know should probably just be running for an hour and a half 3x/week instead of lifting for such long sessions.  

 

I also know that I should be eating 2900 calories of meats and veggies and not touching flour/sugar/fruit.  

 

I also know that I'm being a big baby about all of it and want to have my cake and eat it too.  Literally.  And still burn fat. 

 

You don't need to run for 90 min 3x per week. What are you, an endurance athlete? And definitely don't go balls to the wall on cardio in week one. 

 

no-duck.gif 

 

My take on things is to slowly increase until you start to see weight loss and stop there. No sense in going overboard. I'm doing about 90 min total of cardio per week (hiking/walking type stuff.) And that is working for me. Start where you are and maybe increase by 15-20 min per week until you see the weight changes you want. 

 

And do cardio you enjoy, for petes sake. If I had to do 90 min of elliptical each week I'd hate my life. 

 

Also, here's a question. Are you currently losing weight? (I should know this already, but I forget.) Are you trying to lose MORE per week, or just lose any at all? If you are already losing, what is the impetus to lose faster? For example, if you lose only 1/2# per week, that is still 26# in a year, and scale up from there. There are no prizes for fastest loser. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

My take on things is to slowly increase until you start to see weight loss and stop there. No sense in going overboard. I'm doing about 90 min total of cardio per week (hiking/walking type stuff.) And that is working for me. Start where you are and maybe increase by 15-20 min per week until you see the weight changes you want. 

 

And do cardio you enjoy, for petes sake. If I had to do 90 min of elliptical each week I'd hate my life. 

 

So much this. Both of these. Don't take off for a 5k or half marathon out the box, hell maybe not even a mile. I've discovered I actually LIKE (the horror!) running, so I'm restarting the zombie 5k app. I've seen a couple people on here using it and its fun. If you need less zombies in your life, C25K is really good. It's designed to get you moving for the entirety of a 5k run, 3.1 milesish.

Of course, there's always Crossfit...

 

16 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

You don't need to run for 90 min 3x per week. What are you, an endurance athlete? And definitely don't go balls to the wall on cardio in week one. 

 

There are no prizes for fastest loser. 

Yes there is, all the weight back plus 20% or so /ugh.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seconding the above - don't feel compelled to totally overhaul what you're doing just because the weight loss isn't happening - make small, sustainable changes. HIIT will give you a better time bang for your buck, and slight dietary changes are even better since they take 0 extra training time.

 

On the diet front, there's no need to eliminate whole food groups unless you're allergic or sensitive to specific foods. Low carb, no-added-sugar, or no-grain approaches to dieting are tools you can use to help yourself achieve a caloric deficit, but you don't need them to achieve that deficit. If you're tracking, consider upping your caloric deficit a bit, or if you're not tracking, try adding an extra serving of vegetables or lean protein each day to naturally crowd out more calorie dense options. Be careful with all-or-nothing changes, for me they're a surefire recipe for feeling food-driven shame which leads to even worse food choices and a downhill spiral.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

Also, here's a question. Are you currently losing weight? (I should know this already, but I forget.) Are you trying to lose MORE per week, or just lose any at all? If you are already losing, what is the impetus to lose faster? For example, if you lose only 1/2# per week, that is still 26# in a year, and scale up from there. There are no prizes for fastest loser. 

 

I'm gaining weight but losing fat.  Gained 13.5# from Oct to March but lost over 4% BF.   

 

I love that but also realize I can't sustain >400 forever.  

 

Going to do another body scan a week from today to see what this month has resulted in. 

 

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Don't take off for a 5k or half marathon out the box, hell maybe not even a mile. I've discovered I actually LIKE (the horror!) running, so I'm restarting the zombie 5k app. I've seen a couple people on here using it and its fun. If you need less zombies in your life, C25K is really good. It's designed to get you moving for the entirety of a 5k run, 3.1 milesish.

 

I guess that's part of the tough part/boredom.  

 

Been there/done that with the 5k.  Did that at 450lbs and at least 15% more BF.  Really enjoyed it at one point and worked up to over 10k distances before ankles started hurting.  Did a two mile run as recently as... Feb?  

 

Did Crossfit for six months.  It's great from a camaraderie POV (I truly miss that part) but expensive as hell and I was getting hurt every other month because some of the coaches either didn't know proper form or were letting me lift with improper form without correcting.  (Which is why I do Hack Squats now instead of back squats.  I just cannot figure it out.)  Shoulder is still effed.

 

Bought a bike and rode it to work for a few weeks before moving 50 miles away. 

 

Done the hill sprints weekly for awhile. 

 

Did the long walk thing for a looong time after the running pounded my ankles.  Was regularly walking 5 miles.  Longest was over 10 miles on a walking trail. 

 

My Rangerbrain has jumped around and used up so many possibilities over the last four years that very little holds appeal unless it gives me the instant satisfaction of a rep or weight PR or noticeable muscle gain. 

 

That's the reason I did this challenge.  Not a whole lot of cardio appeals to me so my hope was that I'd get beat by a bunch of people and HAVE to do whatever they said. 

 

The only thing that really appeals to me right at the moment is some hiking.  I'm planning on really kicking up the hunting this fall and need to be good to hike into the woods with gear.  Would also allow me to start marking deer sign and where turkeys are roosting and such.  Perhaps I'll toss some weight in a day pack and try to fit that in somewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Broba Fett said:

 

That's the reason I did this challenge.  Not a whole lot of cardio appeals to me so my hope was that I'd get beat by a bunch of people and HAVE to do whatever they said. 

 

The only thing that really appeals to me right at the moment is some hiking.  I'm planning on really kicking up the hunting this fall and need to be good to hike into the woods with gear.  Would also allow me to start marking deer sign and where turkeys are roosting and such.  Perhaps I'll toss some weight in a day pack and try to fit that in somewhere.

 

I'm not a lot of people, but at least I'm giving you something to play with every week. I've got something in mind for next week that's a little different. We'll see.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

 

I'm not a lot of people, but at least I'm giving you something to play with every week. I've got something in mind for next week that's a little different. We'll see.

 

And I appreciate it sir.  Hit me with your best shot. 

 

I apologize to everyone for the general whiny-ness of today's posts.  I know what I need to do.  I just need to suck it up and do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

 

 

The only thing that really appeals to me right at the moment is some hiking.  I'm planning on really kicking up the hunting this fall and need to be good to hike into the woods with gear.  Would also allow me to start marking deer sign and where turkeys are roosting and such.  Perhaps I'll toss some weight in a day pack and try to fit that in somewhere.

 

If you do end up hiking I recommend the app AllTrails. I've started hiking every Sunday and use this to track my hikes. It's fun to compare time and distance each week. It also charts out where you hiked so you can see it on a map. I also like that it tells you how long you were moving vs total time. In case I stopped to gaze at nature or some shit.

 

I'm up to 3 miles and next goal is 4 miles. I love the challenge and have started adding in hill sprints. Once I get up to 5 miles I'm going to try to do some local group hikes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're gaining weight but burning body fat? I wouldn't worry about the scale. At some point the muscle gainz will level off and the fat will start dropping faster.

Also cardio =/= weight loss. You can lose weight doing nothing but lifting. It's all a simple math equation of calories in<calories out.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

650cc1b51379602e18449954d9351cbc.jpg

 

See all those dark spots? That's what's left of me after the workout I gave you. I would curse me too.

 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Broba Fett said:

Did Crossfit for six months.  It's great from a camaraderie POV (I truly miss that part) but expensive as hell and I was getting hurt every other month

I once heard(read actually) that doing CrossFit is like driving a fast car or a big motorcycle. If done properly and with the right gear (seatbelt/helmet/coaches) it can be one of the most fullfiling and exhilarating experiences. If not, you will break your shit. 

 

To the matter in dicussion, I really get what you are feeling, every bit of it. But sadly for the impatient like us, our bodies can safely burn fat only so fast.

 

I've taken burners and I wouldn't do it again. They worked, yeah. I lost the 4 extra kg I brought back with me from my vacation really quick. But it was super inconvenient, I would get heartburn every other day and I couldn't drink one cup of coffee or of yerba mate without my heart rate going through the roof(and I'm not even close to being stimulant sensitive). A friend of mine who is much more sensitive to stimulants had trouble sleeping if he took the burners(first thing in the morning) on non-training days. And I'm not talking about some shady "El Cheap-o" brand, it's Performix SST I'm talking about.

 

What I'm trying to say is, do whatever you feel you need to do, but stay healthy 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8-4-2017 at 1:03 AM, Agnarr said:

doing CrossFit is like driving a fast car or a big motorcycle. If done properly and with the right gear (seatbelt/helmet/coaches) it can be one of the most fullfiling and exhilarating experiences. If not, you will break your shit. 

 

I like this!!!

 

 

 

 

I get the dilemma BF. Gaining weight while losing bodyfat is fantastic, but i can see how >400 lbs isn't sustainable. But thinking this through: you won't be able to keep adding muscle forever. But having more and more muscle will make you lose fat easier, so i think eventually you will find a break point where you will start losing weight. Of course it wouldn't hurt if you kickstart this process by eating as clean as possible, don't go bananas here, just slowly introduce a steady stream of healthy choices. My first choice was to have 2 salads at work every day. That was super easy as we have a small restaurant next to our office building. but it will make sure that at least my lunch will be super healthy 4 out of 7 days of a week.

 

And if i may give another advice: Keep a food-diary, it's tedious but it has an advantage. The awareness alone will make sure you make better choices already. Even without a specific goal!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

And if i may give another advice: Keep a food-diary, it's tedious but it has an advantage. The awareness alone will make sure you make better choices already. Even without a specific goal!

 

Been doing this for about three weeks now. Two weeks longer than I think I ever have before. It helps. I ate badly this weekend and I'm not able to ignore it because it's saved in written form. I have to acknowledge my choices and love with them or fix it. Self accountability is a bitch,but worth it.

 

 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 2:56 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're gaining weight but burning body fat? I wouldn't worry about the scale. At some point the muscle gainz will level off and the fat will start dropping faster.

Also cardio =/= weight loss. You can lose weight doing nothing but lifting. It's all a simple math equation of calories in<calories out.

On 4/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, mr_willes said:

And if i may give another advice: Keep a food-diary, it's tedious but it has an advantage. The awareness alone will make sure you make better choices already. Even without a specific goal!

On 4/10/2017 at 7:15 AM, Grumble said:

Been doing this for about three weeks now. 

On 4/7/2017 at 6:03 PM, Agnarr said:

What I'm trying to say is, do whatever you feel you need to do, but stay healthy 

 

Thanks for the input gents.  Friday I'll be stopping in to get a end of challenge body scan done and I've decided to take direction  based on the results.  I know I've gained weight this month.  If my overall BF% has continued to go down I'm going to just stay the course.  As most of you have mentioned, the increased muscle will eventually burn more fat.

 

If the BF has stayed roughly the same or gone up, I think I may see if I can figure out my macro split and give that a shot. I know it will work.  I just don't want to have to restrict myself like that if there is an alternative.

 

Either way, next challenge will see a change to two lifting days per week and one big cardio day.  Hoping to get some hiking/deer scouting in on my mondays off. Need to prepare for both the tough mudder in august and hiking out to blinds and such in october. 

 

Another busy weekend finished.  Nearly all day Sunday was spent cleaning up the backyard and burning brush.  Looks great now. 

 

I'm doing a bit of a deload this week so Monday I decided to hit everything from my nipples up for some serious low weight/high reppage.

 

Well, I got halfway through chest work and realized I had no shoulder pain so I decided to try some OHP for the first time in months.

 

Worked (very slowly and gradually) up to a strict 95x8!  Zero pain!  Lots of fatigue though.  Some serious rust on those muscles.

 

It was a great workout that spanned nearly two hours and covered chest, bis, tris, and shoulders. Total of 44,514lbs in iron moved.

 

Afterwards I finally got out to the trout pond.  Nothing was biting but it was very relaxing. 

 


This morning I took my mastodon of a dog out for a 3 mile walk.  Finished it in about an hour without feeling really tired or pushed.  I'm excited to really push myself next month and see what my walking/hiking limits are. 

 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE VOLKSWAGEN IS GONE!

 

Those of you who have been following along for the past year know it's been a thorn in my side since November 1st, when VW said they'd take it back initially.  

 

Money should be in our bank account by the end of the week.  At which time it will turn right back around and pay for the rest of my wedding.

 

But that's ok, because paying for a $13k wedding with cash makes me feel pretty good.

 

It looks as though this week has turned into a major deload as we didn't have time for the gym before going to the dealership so we just walked another 1.8mi this morning.  This time Tammy came with and we brought all three dogs. 

 

Fronts of my shins are rather sore from yesterday.  If I'm going to commit to ramping up some walking/hiking, I think I should probably invest in some shoes/boots that are more appropriate for it than crossfit Asics.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Grumble said:

SO no hill workout this week then?

 

I can fit in a hill workout, if that's my prescription for last week. 

 

I know of a couple doozies nearby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is. I'm giving you a little more leeway this week in time and intensity, but here's the workout. Also, you don't need a hill any bigger than 20-30 yards, but like I said, intensity is up to you. 3-5 rounds, 2 sets of each exercise per round (warmup excepted)

 

Warm up: One round

Uphill walkouts (inchworms)

Walking Lunge

 

Backward run up, forward walk down

Forward Bearcrawl up, backward bearcrawl down

3-5 pushups (plyo if you're feeling froggy) followed by sprint up and backward walk down(please don't fall)

lateral/shuffle run up, lateral walk down

Long Jump up, backward lunge down

 

My legs hurt just writing this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grumble said:

It is. I'm giving you a little more leeway this week in time and intensity, but here's the workout. Also, you don't need a hill any bigger than 20-30 yards, but like I said, intensity is up to you. 3-5 rounds, 2 sets of each exercise per round (warmup excepted)

 

Warm up: One round

Uphill walkouts (inchworms)

Walking Lunge

 

Backward run up, forward walk down

Forward Bearcrawl up, backward bearcrawl down

3-5 pushups (plyo if you're feeling froggy) followed by sprint up and backward walk down(please don't fall)

lateral/shuffle run up, lateral walk down

Long Jump up, backward lunge down

 

My legs hurt just writing this.

 

Getting him to do anything backwards is just mean. But then, to be fair, so is making anyone do bearcrawls...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

Getting him to do anything backwards is just mean. But then, to be fair, so is making anyone do bearcrawls...

 

I'm not giving him anything I won't or can't do. As a matter of fact because this phase is isolation and today was shoulders, I'm going to find a hill after work and die.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.