• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CheshireCrab

Run, Swim, Ride! A Crab Journey

Let's do this!

giphy.gif

I can feel it this time, I will be earning an A for this 4-week challenge!

Last challenge I ended up hitting a bump in the road after getting in a snowboarding accident. The time it took me to heal took me out of my regular routine for a solid week and it was hard to get back on that routine for the rest of the month. This time, I am going to be pushing myself hard to reach every single goal on here and come out with an A-rank!

Coincidentally, my triathlon training regime begins today. I am following along with Gale Bernhardt's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes and plan on including it supplement to my regular workouts.

I am going to make each post formatted like last challenge and how I format my photo journal. Each day I am going to snap a photo that relates to some sort of progress or memorable event in my life. To save space, each photo will be put in a spoiler tag.

Without further Ado!

March Challenges

Fitness Challenges

• Go to Martial Art Classes 3x a week
  • Attend Parkour/Freerunning Classes 2x a week(min.)
  • Weight Lifting Class 1x a week(min.)

Triathlon Challenges

• Swim 2x a week
  • Bike 2x a week
  • Run 2x a week

Life Challenges

• Wake up at 7:00 AM or earlier each day(Including Weekends!)
  • Spend 30 minutes a day programming a personal project

Major Quests

My goal is to at least complete 1 quest a day from the NerdFitness Academy Quests. However, these are the major Quests I want to complete for March:

Spoiler

swoldermort.png

burpeebop.png

I wish everyone else participating the best of luck!

• Like 2

March 13th, 2017 – Today begins the first day of my 12-week workout triathlon program. I am following the program from Gale Bernhardt’s Multisport Training Plans for this triathlon. Today includes having to swim 10 intervals for a total of 500m.

After my Krav Maga class I put in a quick strength training workout before heading to a nearby community center for swimming. It’s been a while since I’ve went swimming but it seemed like my freestyle technique has not worsened. Ended up putting in a pretty good time overall.

swim25m.png

Daily Photo Journal:

Spoiler

swimswim.jpg

• Like 1

Hola! I'm The Shogun, from the Monks Guild. What martial arts do you practice? I practiced Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and now I'm about to get back to my Wing Tzun Kung Fu practice.

D'oh, sorry, I already read Krav Maga. Krav Maga, Parkour, Lifting... wow, just wow... You're amazing! 

If you ever pass by the Monks Guild, you'll be most welcome there. =D

• Like 1

Thanks for the invite @The Shogun! I'm definitely going to check out the Monk's guild!

Always wanted to give Wing Tzun a try, but not too familiar with Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. Gave it a quick Google search and wow! I am amazed with the fluidity of the practice! When I'm done with my races I'm going to check out some Martial Arts places that teach the practice.

How long have you been training?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CheshireCrab said:

Thanks for the invite @The Shogun! I'm definitely going to check out the Monk's guild!

Always wanted to give Wing Tzun a try, but not too familiar with Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. Gave it a quick Google search and wow! I am amazed with the fluidity of the practice! When I'm done with my races I'm going to check out some Martial Arts places that teach the practice.

How long have you been training?

Yay! I'll be expecting you there soon.

Wing Tzun is THE BEST! Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is just codename for Ninjutsu. And I profoundly in love with both arts.

I've been training since 2007, aprox. And you? how long have you been training Krav Maga? How do you feel with it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Yay! I'll be expecting you there soon.

Wing Tzun is THE BEST! Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is just codename for Ninjutsu. And I profoundly in love with both arts.

I've been training since 2007, aprox. And you? how long have you been training Krav Maga? How do you feel with it?

It's hard to put an accurate time for it. I started  back in August of 2015, but only could practice for 4 months before finances became in an issue. Then my school schedule started to conflict with Krav classes and I was only able to practice for 2-3 months in the summer.

Right now I started doing Krav Maga again since January and want to dedicate myself to the sport as much as I can. I like it! I only wish I can practice it outside of classes, but there isn't too much I can do without another Krav Maga practitioner around.

• Like 1

March 15th, 2017 – It was definitely a day for advancement. After finishing my swords class our instructor had the class line up against the wall while he tested a fellow classmate for first Mon. The instructor had him go through the 8-basic strikes and how to sheath the sword. After he was finished I was called up and tested for first Mon.

Once I finished up he turned to both of us and congratulated us for passing. I finally achieved first mon!

After swords I went to do Parkour, which was teaching how to increase the distance in our vaults. A couple of the students and I decided to fool around and practice some vaults to precision jumps. I stuck the landing, but my also landed on my right ankle. The pain shot through my ankle and I took some time to rest from class.

It was an hour until the weight lifting class(Leg day!), and I was not sure if my ankle would feel better by the time class rolled around. I took some time away from the Parkour class and messed around on a gymnastic ring with some other guys. Weight lifting class rolled around, and my ankle was still sore, but feeling better. I decided to do the weight lifting class and do broad jumps and box jumps for the next hour.

My ankle did not hurt during the class, but the drive home it started screaming at me. After I changed out of my workout clothes and showered I found that my ankle was swollen twice it’s size! I spent the rest of the night icing it until I feel asleep.

DAILY PHOTO JOURNAL

Spoiler

gymnasticsrings.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheshireCrab said:

It's hard to put an accurate time for it. I started  back in August of 2015, but only could practice for 4 months before finances became in an issue. Then my school schedule started to conflict with Krav classes and I was only able to practice for 2-3 months in the summer.

Right now I started doing Krav Maga again since January and want to dedicate myself to the sport as much as I can. I like it! I only wish I can practice it outside of classes, but there isn't too much I can do without another Krav Maga practitioner around.

Yes, there is! I'm not an expert on Krav Maga but there's got to be something you can on your own, like footwork, right? Every little thing counts.

On 3/16/2017 at 4:28 PM, The Shogun said:

Yes, there is! I'm not an expert on Krav Maga but there's got to be something you can on your own, like footwork, right? Every little thing counts.

Hey Shogun! I decided to ask my instructor about how to train at home after reading your comment. Ended up getting a few suggestions that really helped!

• Like 2

March 16th, 2017 – Tonight was my 2nd swimming workout for my first week of triathlon training. Last swim I had an issue trying to keep track of my set number on top of tracking rests and total swim time. To combat against this, I grabbed 10 pennies and laid them out on the edge of the pool. After each completed set I put one penny on top of another until all my pennies were in one stack. Ended up being a very tremendous help!

50mswim.png

Daily Photo Journal

Spoiler

tenrounds.jpg

Awesome idea for tracking laps!  That is really neat and definitely earned that reward!  I really enjoy Muay Thai and kickboxing and sometimes when I can't make class I end up doing some workouts at home too so it's awesome that you got advice from your instructor :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackTezca said:

Awesome idea for tracking laps!  That is really neat and definitely earned that reward!  I really enjoy Muay Thai and kickboxing and sometimes when I can't make class I end up doing some workouts at home too so it's awesome that you got advice from your instructor :D

Thanks, actually got the idea from a fellow swimmer! She was a competitive swimmer and had to do a lot of different kinds of sets. Thought it was a really brilliant idea!

That's really cool that you'll doing Muay Thai and Kickboxing! You ever see the movies Ong Bak and The Protector?

March 17th, 2017 – Friday, my last weekday free before starting my new job. I am not sure what to expect next week and how this would change the routine I’ve built for myself these several months.

All I know is that this may be the end of my routine, so I’m going to go at it hard. After a full morning of homework, studying, and programming I grabbed a quick lunch and went to my University’s gym. After an hour of weights I went for an intense jog down a steep hill, looped around the tunnels of a nearby bridge, then took that jog back up hill.

The evening was then filled with some stretching and yoga before bed.

3peat.png

Daily Photo Journal:

Spoiler

runningtobridge.jpg

On 20/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, CheshireCrab said:

Hey Shogun! I decided to ask my instructor about how to train at home after reading your comment. Ended up getting a few suggestions that really helped!

YEEEEESSS!!!!! 

On 21/3/2017 at 8:06 PM, CheshireCrab said:

March 17th, 2017 – Friday, my last weekday free before starting my new job. I am not sure what to expect next week and how this would change the routine I’ve built for myself these several months.

All I know is that this may be the end of my routine, so I’m going to go at it hard. After a full morning of homework, studying, and programming I grabbed a quick lunch and went to my University’s gym. After an hour of weights I went for an intense jog down a steep hill, looped around the tunnels of a nearby bridge, then took that jog back up hill.

The evening was then filled with some stretching and yoga before bed.

3peat.png

Daily Photo Journal:

Hide contents

runningtobridge.jpg

That's the bridge I usually hide at night with a "FREE CANDY" sign. =D

• Like 1

Following along for the multisport workout. triathlon is a goal of mine, so I'm very curious to follow along anyone who is doing workouts in a similar vein. :)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, Miw_Sher said:

Following along for the multisport workout. triathlon is a goal of mine, so I'm very curious to follow along anyone who is doing workouts in a similar vein. :)

That's awesome to hear Miw_Sher! Keep me posted when you start training, would be interested in checking how everything goes!

• Like 1

March 19th, 2017 – It’s a Saturday morning, meaning time for another Krav Maga class! I drove off to Fight or Flight Academy for an hour of Krav Maga practice. After Krav I went off to use the Academy’s weight lifting equipment to get my second workout on. I finished off my morning workouts with a 30-minute bike ride to fulfill today’s triathlon training.

A tiring, but worthwhile workout!

Daily Photo Journal:

Spoiler

hansenbikeride.jpg

Not before the end of summer I fear. I have more than enough on my plate between the half-marathon and the tough mudder

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

March 27th, 2017 – Last night I learned a prominent member from the Parkour community has taken his own life.  At Fight or Flight Academy, a memorial service was held in his honor.

I’ve only had a few conversations with him, but he came off as one of the most friendly people I’ve ever met. He was the kind of guy who would introduce himself to people he didn’t know then go out of his way to remember their names even if he only met them once.

Throughout most of today my fiancee and I went for  a walk and talked about the fallen athlete It ended up leading to talking a lot about life, death, and relationships. It really made the both of us realize just how much more appreciative we need to be to those around us. There’s no telling how long those around you will be there.

Rest in Peace, Dan Larson-Fine.

Daily Photo Journal

Spoiler

diagonaltrail.jpg

The hubs and I have had a lot of talks about life and death due to a recent, very unfair, and very painful loss.  I give my condolences to Dans' family and I also wish him and very peaceful rest :(.

The photo is very peaceful and matches the mood of the day it seems like.  I hope today is a little brighter for you.

• Like 1

April 3rd, 2017 – The University was holding a medallion hunt so this evening my fiancee and I left off to search for the prize. After a bit of searching she and I left to a planetarium show happening on campus. We enjoyed our share of vegetables and star gazing before leaving off to my brother’s place to use the pool. I convinced my brother to workout with me for some weight lifting and jogging.

I still had to fit in my swimming for the day, but the pool was a bit crowded. To kill some time, the three of us watched an episode of the Ultimate Beastmaster then went back for some lap swimming.

Daily Photo Journal:

Spoiler

poolside.jpg

• Like 1

God I love the Ultimate Beastmaster show!  Really looking forward to Season 2 and fighting the urge to watch Ulimate Beastmaster from the Mexican hosts point of view (even though it'll help with my Spanish).

That sounds like an awesome hunt and a fun time!  Good on getting your brother to workout with you too!

On 4/6/2017 at 0:45 PM, BlackTezca said:

God I love the Ultimate Beastmaster show!  Really looking forward to Season 2 and fighting the urge to watch Ulimate Beastmaster from the Mexican hosts point of view (even though it'll help with my Spanish).

That sounds like an awesome hunt and a fun time!  Good on getting your brother to workout with you too!

I really like the reactions of the Korean hosts! They seem to go from super excited to deadpan. Never really a middle ground. I think I found my replacement show for Ninja Warrior!

• Like 1