Manarelle: the next iteration

Manarelle

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I keep saying that gardening is not the same as a workout, but I think I discount how much energy and time goes into the garden, so I'm trying to cut myself some slack this year.

Oh my gosh. When I did my little flower beds last spring - with the weeding and the laying new weed mat and putting out new mulch and fixing the pebble borders - I was so sore for days. So, in my mind, it is totally a workout! :D

• Like 1

Assassin

**Challenges**

Current Challenge: Black Daiquiri is Wonder Woman

Battle Log: Black Daiquiri battles the pink robots

Previous: 1514 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 76 | 5 | 4 | 321

On 3/25/2017 at 5:30 PM, Manarelle said:

Improved my hang time significantly, with no pain, and even managed to do a leap to cat hang, catch with bent arms, and lower myself into cat hang with no problems. Months and months of pt and weights have paid off!

Congrats! That is amazing. I only understand about half of what you were saying, but I'm hoping by the end of the year, Ill be much more familiar with Parkour. It looks amazingly fun and I can't wait to start learning. 

• Like 2

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

I think with the gardening, my concern is that I'm not specifically using the muscles and movements that would help me with parkour, and since it's not furthering my goals, I'm hesitant to make it count. I should probably get over that because lordy, I am exhausted from this week!

17 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

Congrats! That is amazing. I only understand about half of what you were saying, but I'm hoping by the end of the year, Ill be much more familiar with Parkour. It looks amazingly fun and I can't wait to start learning. 

Ah, fail me. I was linking things for a while, but I've been inconsistent with it lately, sorry. It is very much fun, and yay for another lady traceuse! /highfive!

Speaking of which: Parkour update!

401(k) started out similar to most week, with breathing and foundation exercises, then something came up requiring the teacher to head out and we got passed on to a teacher who'd never done the old-people's-class before, so it was a lot more intense than usual. Started off with some cat leap to hangs on to a 7' (!!) wall, then switched to a 6' wall to practice backward roll bails (for when your arms poop out and you drop to the ground with your momentum going backwards). That eventually morphed into a short flow (going smoothly from one move to the next) of safety vault, 6' rail walk, easy vault (kind of this), cat leap to hang, drop to backward roll.  By then the actual older people were done, and... everybody left. 

Literally everyone. White band was me and the teacher, so I got basically a private lesson, wherein I got extra-special attention pointing out all the things I'm doing wrong (and, thankfully, how to fix them, which doesn't happen in one hour). Warm-up was two laps (1/4 mile) and wall runs, with the focus on getting height. From there we went to wall run to topout, which I've only barely gotten recently on the 6' box. Took a few tries, but I finally got three successful topouts in a row. Naturally then, since you can't rest on your laurels, we moved to the 7' wall again, where I completely was not able to top out because by then I was trying to focus on so many things that needed correction it wasn't even funny (list below). Next, we did some work on a new (for me) move of stepping up into a precision jump (run, step up onto a 2' box, then push off that to land with both feet on a 5' box. Kind of this.) The last thing we did was underbars (yes, specifically requested because of the mini). We identified a few more things I'm doing wrong with that, and called it a day. 

Spoiler

Things I'm doing wrong, mostly as a record for myself:

• Heel-toe running instead of running on my toes: Maybe from marching band in high school, but apparently even when I'm running, I'm striking with my heel and rolling through the step to my toes. I was told I'll get more power if I run on my toes only. Unfortunately, I am hugely prejudiced against people who walk by popping up on their toes, so this will require some serious mental adjustment.
  • Run-ups: I'm still not good at judging which foot I'll be on when I get close enough to jump. 
  • Backward rolls: Rolling along one side instead of from shoulder to opposite hip, not putting both hands on the same side to push up. Not kicking up out of it enough.
  • Wall runs: Not pushing off with my bottom foot, and not swinging the bottom foot up to get more height when I'm in the air. Also on the 7' wall, I'm grabbing for the edge of the wall with my fingers (like a cat hang) instead of putting my palms flat on the top (because I don't believe I'll actually make it that high). 
  • Step up to precision jump: Not pushing off with my initial foot (surprise), not landing feet first, not landing feet together, not tucking and reaching with my legs during the last jump. Not landing silently. 
  • Underbars: I'm grabbing and swinging from my hands instead of getting my feet through first and then using hands to stabilize. Not landing silently.
  • MENTAL EVERYTHING. Holy crap this stuff is so intimidating! Stupid brain needs to shut up and let the body take over!

Long story short, I hurt, but am feeling much better about stringing moves together and expanding to new moves. I wish I had space to just practice some of this stuff over and over, and may have to make getting out and looking for places to do so as part of the next challenge. 

The real fun part about today is that my gentleman is out dj'ing tonight, so I intend to spend my one-night-a-month alone night finally getting around to sending out Christmas cookies that usually go out in February (planned delay) but go sidelined by the thesis. 

53722884.jpg

• Like 12

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Long story short, I hurt, but am feeling much better about stringing moves together and expanding to new moves. I wish I had space to just practice some of this stuff over and over, and may have to make getting out and looking for places to do so as part of the next challenge. 

It's great you were able to get this rare opportunity for a 1-1 session and get real useful feedback, but ouch, thats a lot to hear in one hour! Looks like you've got some ideas of how to work on them though, which is awesome! You got this :D and think how levelled up you will be once you start doing some of them better!

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

Four week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13+

18 hours ago, Manarelle said:

401(k) started out similar to most week, with breathing and foundation exercises, then something came up requiring the teacher to head out and we got passed on to a teacher who'd never done the old-people's-class before, so it was a lot more intense than usual. Started off with some cat leap to hangs on to a 7' (!!) wall, then switched to a 6' wall to practice backward roll bails (for when your arms poop out and you drop to the ground with your momentum going backwards). That eventually morphed into a short flow (going smoothly from one move to the next) of safety vault, 6' rail walk, easy vault (kind of this), cat leap to hang, drop to backward roll.  By then the actual older people were done, and... everybody left. 

Weird.  That's pretty much how all of the 401 classes are handled at UEM.  A few weeks ago, we were doing underbar -> lache -> reverse underbar sequences.  The next week, we worked on double kongs.  Last week, we did dive rolls over 2.5' boxes.  When I'm running class, we usually will do a multiple move flow run, where people will have options to do easier or more advanced techniques for each obstacle.

Re: Underbars (also pop vaults and a number of other things).  One of the hardest instincts to overcome is the tendency to want to grab things with your hands way too early in the move.  Holding onto the rail or the vault box makes people feel safe and secure, and it's tough to override that instinct.  I had to make a huge point of forcing myself to wait an extra half second after the point where I wanted to grab the bar before I let myself grab the bar.  But yeah, for underbars, your feet should already be through before you even touch the bar.  And for reverse ones, your head and chest should be through.  Think of the underbar like a dash vault, where you're just grabbing upward rather than touching down on the box with your hands.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

@Snickie - sleep is totally more important. Once you're done with school, maybe? 

@Grayspeed and @juliebarkley, it is fun, though also scary. I highly recommend looking around to see what's nearby. That said, I realize not all parkour gyms are equal. The first time I looked into parkour, the only gym near me had an "entrance" exam that required you to do something like a 10-minute mile, 100 sit-ups, 50 push-ups and 20 pull-ups before they'd let you start class. I still can't do any of that, but the gym I'm with is focused on teaching parkour, not training for competitions. I got very lucky here. 

20 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Weird.  That's pretty much how all of the 401 classes are handled at UEM.

Yeah, it sounds like there's a lot of difference between the locations. You'd said before (iirc) that the regular white band class at UEM was more kid-focused. Since UEB has specifically adult white band class with few if any teens, that is the serious parkour class. Our 401(k) has some much older people in it who do better with the foundations and basic movements stuff, so I've been using it as a warmup. I really appreciated the flow part, though, because we don't often do that in white band. 

A big part of my problem with the underbars is mental: I don't trust that I can clear the bottom bar. The set-up we use is a cube of metal bars where the bottom rung is at waist level. I know I can pylo jump to upper thigh height, but not to waist, so I'm hesitant to commit fully. Same issue holds true for speed vaults and king vaults, and we haven't even touched on the dash vault yet. I'll get there eventually, but I just need to do it over and over and over until my brain stops cutting in at the last minute and wimping out. Unfortunately, I believe you have to be green band to use open gym, so I've just gotta put my time in through classes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

A big part of my problem with the underbars is mental: I don't trust that I can clear the bottom bar. The set-up we use is a cube of metal bars where the bottom rung is at waist level. I know I can pylo jump to upper thigh height, but not to waist, so I'm hesitant to commit fully. Same issue holds true for speed vaults and king vaults, and we haven't even touched on the dash vault yet. I'll get there eventually, but I just need to do it over and over and over until my brain stops cutting in at the last minute and wimping out. Unfortunately, I believe you have to be green band to use open gym, so I've just gotta put my time in through classes. 

Yeah.  Each class/gym is going to be aimed at the collective level of the group.  We have a lot more of the fit, 40-something OCR-racing parents, so the fitness level is pretty high.  And the regular adult classes are over-run by the high schoolers, since the gym is right next to a high school.  

Really, it sounds like you need some confidence-building setups at your gym.  It is really intimidating to do underbars over a rail.  Could you instead loosely tie a string at the same height, and then make sure that you're clearing the string?  Or find something soft to use as the obstacle under the bar?  Same for dash vaults.  It's much easier if you're set up with a very padded vault box and not something rigid.  If you're afraid that you can't quite clear the lower bar, you also could set up a tac box and then do a tac to underbar sequence.  FWIW, committing on the speed vault shouldn't be a big deal, since if you don't quite have clearance to execute the speed vault, your foot will most likely tap down into a safety vault. :)   Either way, if the class is small and you're finding that you're struggling with committing to a move, just ask the instructor for less intense alternatives to the move.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

On 4/3/2017 at 1:47 PM, Nymeria said:

Really, it sounds like you need some confidence-building setups at your gym.  It is really intimidating to do underbars over a rail.  Could you instead loosely tie a string at the same height, and then make sure that you're clearing the string?  Or find something soft to use as the obstacle under the bar?  Same for dash vaults.  It's much easier if you're set up with a very padded vault box and not something rigid.  If you're afraid that you can't quite clear the lower bar, you also could set up a tac box and then do a tac to underbar sequence.  FWIW, committing on the speed vault shouldn't be a big deal, since if you don't quite have clearance to execute the speed vault, your foot will most likely tap down into a safety vault. :)

Honestly, I just need time. Every time we do a move, even if we've done it extensively before, I'm hesitant the first few tries. I need to just do each move over and over until it's in my muscle memory so I don't have to think about it. It'll come. We have done the underbars with a string, but that area was occupied last weekend. Dash vaults we simply haven't gotten to yet, and I'm okay with that. Mentally, I'm working on the kong and the speed, and again, just need to put the hours in. Realistically, what matters most to me is that I'm enjoying it. Getting skilled at parkour is a lovely side bonus. :D

Mentally, this has been a wonky week. I caught myself this morning getting angry in traffic, and forced myself to back off and really consider what got me riled. My time has been heavily occupied with gardening (to the point of tricep cramps from hoeing), and I was getting stressed because I couldn't do that and full workouts, much less sewing or other hobbies. I need to make an allowance for the increased garden time and not expect everything else to maintain pre-garden levels. In addition to gardening, I'm also starting to job hunt, as I will finish my degree in August. While it's not critical, since I do have a current job, it is still somewhat stressful, as I'm completely changing my career. Again, I need to give myself mental room for that. 

• Like 6

Speaking of mental room, it's been a somewhat trying week. 

Week 3:

• Handstands: 4/5, incorporated some of the NF Handstand stuff into my weights routine
  • Languages: 8/10, had another lesson with the tutor, and added my news sources back to FB for daily exposure
  • Sewing: cut out and assembled mock-up #2.

The sewing goal won't be done this challenge, although I've made good progress. First mock-up was size 16 pants (I wear very loose size 16 jeans), and they were comically tight everywhere. Second mock-up, I went up two sizes on the pattern, and could put both arms in the waist and hips with room to spare. Ultimately, what I need to do is take the large mock-up and re-do each seam until it fits properly, then deconstruct the mock-up and use that as the pattern. I do not have the mental space for that right now, so I'm going to set it aside for a bit, see if I can make some simple skirts or stretchy pants for now. 

Parkour yesterday was good - more focus on core and breathing in 401(k), and I noticed this week that my stomach is noticeably flatter, for which I am very grateful. The white band class was precision jump practice, on both 2x4 trainers and rail trainers, then rail balancing, including slow walking, normal walking, turning, crouching, and getting down into and up out of QMs on the rails (we were working much closer to the ground). I was somewhat surprised that I was able to do all of those things by the end of class. I won't say it was graceful, and I'm definitely paying for it today, in that my everything is sore, but worth it.

Otherwise, workouts continue, work continues, job hunt continues, it's shark week, and I'm feeling frustrated at everything for no good reason. Here's to a better week 4. 

• Like 7

On 4/9/2017 at 8:41 AM, Manarelle said:

The sewing goal won't be done this challenge, although I've made good progress.

That's is still a good thing. I was getting hung up on not completing my goals this week, but I have decided to celebrate what I have done and plan to do better next time. You already did way better than me so don't beat yourself up! I also fine taking 5 minutes to vent helps get through it. Sometimes the world conspires against you and you should allow yourself a chance to address it, then put it away. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it helps me. 

Either way, I hope the next week will be great for you! 

• Like 2

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

Sounds like you've got a lot of mental stress going on and yet you're still rocking those skills and aims - well done you! Make sure you give yourself credit or pushing though all that, and for having the insight during road-frustration to reflect. 
As you said, give yourself mental space because wow that sounds like a big mental forest full of monkeys swinging too and fro :P 

• Like 1

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

Four week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13+

On 4/14/2017 at 9:25 AM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I also fine taking 5 minutes to vent helps get through it. Sometimes the world conspires against you and you should allow yourself a chance to address it, then put it away. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it helps me. 

It does make sense, and I absolutely agree with the 5 minutes of venting. There are a number of mental shifts I've been on the "fake it til you make it" path to; it feels like a couple of them are converting to the "made it" side and it's an odd brain shift. Just need to work through it and make sure I didn't derail myself somewhere. :) 

10 hours ago, Nina-Rose said:

Sounds like you've got a lot of mental stress going on and yet you're still rocking those skills and aims - well done you! Make sure you give yourself credit or pushing though all that, and for having the insight during road-frustration to reflect. 
As you said, give yourself mental space because wow that sounds like a big mental forest full of monkeys swinging too and fro :P 

I love this mental picture, thank you! This week has been on semi-auto mode, letting the body drive while the brain questions everything. While I didn't push myself on my workouts, they still got done, even around 6.5 hours of gardening (yay gardening!). 

End of challenge summary:

• Handstands: 2/5, in weights workout. Ticked off a level in core, halfway to ticking off a level in crow.
  • Languages: 10/10.... ish? Japanese every day, and French and Russian news every day, though no formal study. 
  • Sewing: Set aside. 

I've found a way to work handstands into my weights workout, so I think I'm just going to stick with that. It's not as much as 5 minutes per day, but it's sustainable, and clearly making progress. Similarly, I don't think the 5 minutes thing works with languages, either. It's amazing how much I begrudge even 5 minutes carved out of my day. Japanese happens naturally at lunch; I need to find a similar something that piques my interest in French/Russian that I won't "have to" do, but rather enjoy doing. The news on FB is a good intermittent step, but not the final answer. I'll keep working on strategies. Finally, I learned a lot from the sewing goal, but one of the lessons is that I don't have the wherewithal to make pants right now. I'll throw some skirts together to get through summer and revisit once I've finished my last class and hopefully gotten a new job. 

In parkour news, this was a good week. I completely misread 3 reminders and missed my massage on Friday that I was looking forward to all week. I'd been tense and grumpy, so that did not help, but oddly, parkour did. In 401(k), we basically kept working on the breathing, core, and balance work, which helped me identify and relax tight muscles. (I've also noticed my standing, sitting, and walking stances shifting this past week, which is weird but pleasantly balanced). There were only two adults for white band, so we got shuffled off into the kids' class. Despite budding teens fumbling their way through learning how to flirt, we still got some good work in. First we did a (new?) move called the bicycle/ghost-step vault, useful for if you misjudge which foot you're leaping off with and need to jump and land with the same foot. Next, we worked on pop vaults: mixing a wall run with various vaults to get over obstacles slightly higher than you're comfortable with. After that, we had some free time, so I worked on the rail crouch/QMs that we did last week. Still a little wobby there, but getting better. It doesn't sound like a whole lot, but I was sweating when we were done, and feeling substantially more relaxed.

I'm challenging my own mindset at work in preparation for changing my career, trying to shift away from submissive body postures and phrases, and instead portraying my confidence in my own abilities. Curiously, it has made my boss open up to me much more, and I think we're finally hammering out the department's budget process (after 3 years...). Better late than never. It does mean questioning almost everything I do and say, however, so it's been a tiring week. I learned a lot from this challenge, and I'm looking forward to more progress in the next one. All-in-all, a good start to the new iteration. 

tumblr_inline_nfgxb05ERo1rxr4x6.gif

Well, except that. :) 

• Like 8

Awesome progress, and great mind shifting!! You're such a big supporter of so many people here I'm amazed you find time for your own goals! 

• Like 3

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 4/15/2017 at 3:27 PM, Manarelle said:

I'm challenging my own mindset at work in preparation for changing my career, trying to shift away from submissive body postures and phrases, and instead portraying my confidence in my own abilities. Curiously, it has made my boss open up to me much more, and I think we're finally hammering out the department's budget process (after 3 years...). Better late than never. It does mean questioning almost everything I do and say, however, so it's been a tiring week. I learned a lot from this challenge, and I'm looking forward to more progress in the next one. All-in-all, a good start to the new iteration. 

This sounds great! I know I also struggle with being confident and saying how it is in a work environment. It's a tough line to walk between suck-up and hard-ass. I'm so glad you're figuring git out! Yay for learning things!!

• Like 1

2018 ~ Trophy Guide and Roadmap.

2016 Journey: June | July failed | August failed | October respawn/failed

2017 Adventure: January respawn | February | March | April/May | June | July | Horizon 2017 Dawn year recap
Quest: January respawn | February | May

What do we say to the god of procrastination? "Not today."

On 4/15/2017 at 3:27 PM, Manarelle said:

'm challenging my own mindset at work in preparation for changing my career, trying to shift away from submissive body postures and phrases, and instead portraying my confidence in my own abilities. Curiously, it has made my boss open up to me much more, and I think we're finally hammering out the department's budget process (after 3 years...). Better late than never. It does mean questioning almost everything I do and say, however, so it's been a tiring week. I learned a lot from this challenge, and I'm looking forward to more progress in the next one. All-in-all, a good start to the new iteration. 

That was the BIGGEST thing when I changed careers--trying to learn how to act and be less submissive/acquiesce less. It's a huge drain on emotional and mental resources but it's absolutely worth it.  So--good work and good luck as you continue!! Great challenge. :D 

• Like 2

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 4/15/2017 at 6:27 PM, Manarelle said:

Ooooo, very cool! Do you have any resources that you are using to work on this? That's definitely something I need to work on. I look forward to your next challenge!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

On 4/16/2017 at 0:36 AM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You're such a big supporter of so many people here I'm amazed you find time for your own goals! 

NF is my quick break at work when my brain gets bogged down. I keep it up in the background, pop into the next thread, read, respond, get back to work with a new perspective. It's so inspiring to read other people's goals and achievements. 

11 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Ooooo, very cool! Do you have any resources that you are using to work on this? That's definitely something I need to work on. I look forward to your next challenge!

Apparently this rang true with a number of people. I was watching Ted Talks and ran across this one, which goes into how your body language affects not only the people you interact with, but also your own mental state. I recognized a number of the submissive poses in myself, and decided to change it. 

I'm taking week 0 off to address a couple issues, but I'll be back when the next challenge starts. Thanks for all the support, guys. 

• Like 9