Tialoredron: Pretending to Adult

Tialoredron

Nothing super fancy this time around; plenty of life stressors already in work seemingly moments after I have just gotten back and still moving into my new place after deployment and now prepping for a PCS.

PT test next week, with about another month of "normalness" before SHTF and I go full PCS/moving priority.  I will be making 3 sessions of Crossfit per week as I normally do and cooking/prepping my own lunches as well.

Biggest goals coming around are submitting and getting the VA Home Loan approved, finding an affordable range I can afford in BAH for the Principal, Interest, Property Taxes, Homeowner's Insurance, and some portion of the utilities so I can have more disposable income based on my prior promotion base pay rate (yay more disposable income for retirement savings!); finding a house that fits into the Home Loan affordability, moving in at the end of May and also need to complete my Mustang Cosplay prior to traveling, so by then end of next month as well. 

tl;dr

Goal 1: Get VA Loan

Goal 2: Buy House

Goal 3: Complete Mustang costuming

Probably won't be posting to often...because life >.>

• Like 4

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

Reciprocal follow.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Big goals!  I like it (also a bit impressed with the Crossfit thing).

Where the house is concerned, make sure you know how much you want to budget for house cost, and bear in mind that your cost will go up a bit for utilities if you're moving from an apartment to a single-family.

You can ask your lender to tell you the PITI payments for various house costs and they should be able to tell you within a few dollars.  If you're not sure how much house you can afford, you should do this BEFORE looking at houses, so you can tell your realtor.

I have SO much advice for house buying (having done it and grown up with a realtor parent), so if you want more, feel free to ask.  I am going to stop there, though, so I don't spam your challenge with real estate info.

Good luck!!

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

For your amusement: XKCD comic I am using as inspiration https://www.xkcd.com/616/

Military is very nice in that we have Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and I want to have monthly PITI payments under BAH; if utilities can be covered by BAH all the better (and superiorly better if it can cover other bills like telephone and internet). Having that I was able to figure I can afford somewhere around mid-200k house (BAH where I will be is $1545) and am attempting to get approved for 300k loan.

I have a hard requirement of having a garage as I have a beautiful '96 Trans Am with custom paint and have Agreed Value Insurance on it which requires sheltering in a garage.  Everything else is nice to have.

I was in a Townhouse with about 1.4k sqft, and am now residing in a house with 2k sqft (only for the few months; after some issues at the townhouse this is really nice).  So I am looking for at least 1.5k sqft, but more importantly is kitchen size/layout as I enjoy cooking. Bedrooms don't matter to me, but due to sqft-age, it will be the 2+ that I would want so I can host a guest overnight if needed.

Always willing to take free advice ;)

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

I'm a little confused, you're about to PCS, so are you looking at buying a house where you are going? And if so, how long are you going to be there? If that's going to be your final posting before you separate and you intend to stay in that place I can see buying a house.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

That's reasonable.  I actually just listened to a segment on Dave Ramsey talking about buying somewhere you'll be for 3 years.  My brother purchased when he was relocated too.

A few things to think about:

* Make sure you're researching the neighborhood, not just the city.  Some neighborhoods move faster and have better value.  Unless you're in LA or New York, $250 should be plenty to buy a reasonable house.  You want to make sure that houses in that neighborhood have LOW average DOM (days on market) and HIGH value increase on average.  You can have your realtor pull a DOM average over the last year and look at value increase over the last 3-6 years.  Your realtor should do all this at no cost to you.

* Buy the cheapest house that suits your needs.  Think of it this way: you get BAH whether or not you spend it all.  You might as well pocket a few thousand a year rather than spend it on a house that you already know isn't your "forever home."

* Sell when you move.  Having rental property sounds nice, but you're going to want a new home wherever you move next.  Even if you decide to rent at the next place, you can bank the proceeds of the sale for the next time you want to buy.

* Find out if they offer FPU Military Edition at your current or next base.  If they do, and if you haven't taken it yet, take it.  The guy is a budgeting and real estate genius and doesn't pump you up with unrealistic expectations just to make money.

Feel free to ask me questions.  I love answering questions! :D

(In case you're curious why you should listen to any of this advice, my husband and I just bought our new home with cash last year.  No mortgage payments is a huge woot.)

• Like 3

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

The challenge starts today, how is it going?

Things are moving along; pre-approved for the loan; completed the PT test (scored under what I was hoping to but still passed; first time I will need to take it again in 6 months); and will be working on costuming Wednesday and/or Thursday with a friend.  I have some 50+ homes I am currently looking at in the area I will be moving to, but only about 15-20 I am actually truly interested in (some are over budget, some too small sqft, some too low of a price for what I am looking at considering prices around town and thus raising some red flags in my head).  As I get closer to House hunting leave, I will be refining my list as well as considering new additions to the market, so I expect it to be very fluid over the next few weeks.

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

Tales of Adulting! *swooping star with rainbow contrails*

Imagine if you will, walking back into your office after PT/lunch. During the hike, you see out of the corner of your eye a bug flying nearby. It's form familiar, you believe it to have been a wasp or hornet. You ignore it as your best act of defense from being stung by an ornery insect fueled by hate, rage, and the powers of the dark side. You no longer see it after several steps and the coast seems clear.

You enter your building, the cool air from the A/C hits your face and you take a moment to enjoy the relief from a hot Florida day that this modern technology has provided.   You hurry into your office to get back to work and set your gym bag down and you see a wasp, for it flies out in the open and you have ample time to study it and scream inwardly as the hate infested flying object now exist between you and the socially acceptable exit of the door to your office.  You think about the window, it is a viable escape route, but you may alert the dangerous creature as it can sense your fear and a better means of escape is needed.  An idea comes to mind; just as before, ignore the danger and walk by as if in total control of the situation.  Success! The creature seemed intent to become one with it's Sun god of Fluorescent emissions! Travel to the building custodian  quartermaster, and in a calm even voice, ask to acquire the weapons of justified smiting of flying creatures whose existence threatens much pain towards the owners of the inhabitants who dwell within. Return to your office and see the beast is still in worship, sneaking in as close as you dare to set up your roguish sneak attack with the weapon of alchemical ranged smiting. you take careful aim to avoid your means of productivity, and as the stream connects with the foul beast, it becomes disoriented as your missile hit true with minimal collateral splash.

It falls to the floor, and takes off again to fly approximately two feet off the ground before you take a second shot of thine wrathful alchemical smiting.  It falls to the floor again, and feeling more daring, you approach your vanquished foe to provide the swift death and the assurance that the pest of inhuman wrath has been completely vanquished.  You return to the quartermaster to release your weapon so that others may benefit, and you rejoice as the quartermaster notifies you he plans to spray the building this week to prevent future hate-mongering wrath-infused exo-skeletal rageful flying barbarians.

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

30 minutes ago, Tialoredron said:

Tales of Adulting! *swooping star with rainbow contrails*

Imagine if you will, walking back into your office after PT/lunch. During the hike, you see out of the corner of your eye a bug flying nearby. It's form familiar, you believe it to have been a wasp or hornet. You ignore it as your best act of defense from being stung by an ornery insect fueled by hate, rage, and the powers of the dark side. You no longer see it after several steps and the coast seems clear.

You enter your building, the cool air from the A/C hits your face and you take a moment to enjoy the relief from a hot Florida day that this modern technology has provided.   You hurry into your office to get back to work and set your gym bag down and you see a wasp, for it flies out in the open and you have ample time to study it and scream inwardly as the hate infested flying object now exist between you and the socially acceptable exit of the door to your office.  You think about the window, it is a viable escape route, but you may alert the dangerous creature as it can sense your fear and a better means of escape is needed.  An idea comes to mind; just as before, ignore the danger and walk by as if in total control of the situation.  Success! The creature seemed intent to become one with it's Sun god of Fluorescent emissions! Travel to the building custodian  quartermaster, and in a calm even voice, ask to acquire the weapons of justified smiting of flying creatures whose existence threatens much pain towards the owners of the inhabitants who dwell within. Return to your office and see the beast is still in worship, sneaking in as close as you dare to set up your roguish sneak attack with the weapon of alchemical ranged smiting. you take careful aim to avoid your means of productivity, and as the stream connects with the foul beast, it becomes disoriented as your missile hit true with minimal collateral splash.

It falls to the floor, and takes off again to fly approximately two feet off the ground before you take a second shot of thine wrathful alchemical smiting.  It falls to the floor again, and feeling more daring, you approach your vanquished foe to provide the swift death and the assurance that the pest of inhuman wrath has been completely vanquished.  You return to the quartermaster to release your weapon so that others may benefit, and you rejoice as the quartermaster notifies you he plans to spray the building this week to prevent future hate-mongering wrath-infused exo-skeletal rageful flying barbarians.

I need to hear more about powerpoint presentations If I'm going to believe this happened on a military installation.

• Like 1

Well, the productivity machine is used in the creation of certain electrons put in such an order that an orator can guide his conversation to seek the approval of a dumb, different, or dangerous event or set of events meant to test certain boundaries of mechanically scienced hardware. These electrons are formed in a standard manner that none seem to actually enjoy, but not a single soul has offered alternate means to present an orators problems and their solutions, so the peasants of the cubicle farm are stuck with the tools they have because they only have the knowledge of the tools that were given.

*All manner of electrons were killed in the making and sending of this message* 

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

One week down; preapproved for 300k and a list of 35 homes I am interested in, racked and stacked in a nice little excel spreadsheet I sent to my realtor and wanting to get feedback on the market in the local area to see if there is anything I should avoid (high crime, long market dwell times, overpriced sell tags, etc). 

Took the alternate route with my Mustang costume; site sells one for $78 so going to see how it looks when it comes hopefully next week.  I have low expectations but the site made it look pretty good all things considered.  Worse case I just paid $78 for a good set of accoutrements that I would need to get anyways.  Ideally I wanted to make the costume jacket and pants (and half-cape skirt thing) myself and out of wool...but that's expensive and requires more skill and time than I have at the moment. Additional benefit, $78 for backup costume if I don't find the time after traveling to work on starting my cosplay arsenal.

Additional note: second cosplay for DragonCon will be Guile from the Street Fighter series.  Need to get a green tank and comfortable BDU bottoms at local Goodwill or Surplus store and I will be good to go (already have dog tags and plan to use the same boots from the Mustang cosplay). I like simple, simple is nice XD

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

Two weeks in the books;

House hunting list has grown to 52 potential homes, but 6 of which have been sold or are off market and 9 have pending offers, so only 37 homes are on my list. Surprisingly, my top three picks are still viable. Just threw down a little over $2k for airline tickets, rental vehicle, and hotel for the last week of the month so I will get to spend some time seeing the houses myself before I have to commit.

Mustang costume comes Thursday, so very excited for that.

I actually found an old pair of BDU bottoms I must have gotten from when I paintballed and was pleasantly surprised they still fit! (Keeping in mind it has been a little over 8 years since I last paintballed). Could have sworn I was a 32 in waist back then and am now sitting at 35, so maybe I got them big and synched it down with a belt but I don't think I would have had that forethought to buy clothes too big for me back in high school >.> *high-fives past self for accidently thinking of future self* I still need to go get a green tank, but otherwise I think I am mostly complete for Guile. Just need to get some muscle mass going and grow out my hair a bit, so just a matter of time.

• Like 2

Half-elven Ranger

Time for an update? (Way past time for an update >.>)

Househunting list as exploded to well over 9000 100 but about a third have pending offers with about ten being off market or sold; I have the houses racked and stacked still in order of preference so next week will hopefully be smooth and I will purchase a house somewhere in the top 20 of my list (10 of which are Pending/Off market, so it's really like a top 10).

Mustang costume was good enough; at first I hated it (*whines about materiel too thin, not wool, fit/feel wasn't right*) but the more I wore it the better I felt about it. Took it to my friend's place to model and the other guys started the process to purchase on the spot.  It definitely isn't terrible, but I am still intent on eventually making the costume myself and I want to make the uniform out of wool as I believe that is what the materiel would be made from.  The accoutrements were nice though since I don't need to worry about the pins or cord, but I will need to get a ribbon rack with his ribbons and larger gloves. I want to get a wig as well (I have short brown hair and growing it isn't an option and I don't favor dying my hair either).

I didn't even look for a green tank anywhere, but the whole moving thing is kindof distracting.

So, to complete the past four weeks then:

Goal 1: Get VA Loan: Completed (Pre-approved for 300k)

Goal 2: Buy House: In Process (Trip next week to do on site tour and start close-out process)

Goal 3: Complete Mustang Costuming: Complete enough (effort is for group FMA for DragonCon; need new gloves, a wig, and want to add the ribbon rack)

Bonus Goal: Complete Guile Costuming: In Process (Low risk, just need to get a green tank)

Over all, I'd say this went pretty well.

Next week will be crazy as I will be hyperfocused on househunting and then three weeks of "Oh crap I am moving!" So I may not participate at all for the next challenge on the forums. I will still be leveling up my life one day at a time though so I will be back once I am properly settled into my new place (basically having my internet and computer up and running essentially).

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger