[Rebel Pilot Gar] Forward Momentum

tumblr_omqfxhFDkd1tu6tfso6_540.gif

Similar goals as last time, but named after Lightsaber techniques. Story update to be posted sometime this week ;P

Form III: Soresu (Resilience Form)

Soresu relied on tight bladework and subtle dodges to provide maximum defensive coverage, minimizing exposure to ranged weaponry. Over time, Soresu transcended this basic origin, and came to be considered the ultimate expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy.

Source

Create a schedule and achieve the following:

• Yoga - at least 60 minutes per week
  • Cardio - at least 30 minutes per week
  • Strength - at least 30 minutes per week

Loot: Every 10 min of exercise provides $1 towards New Yoga Mat

Form V: Shien / Djem So (Perseverance Form)

It was developed by practitioners of Form III who felt that the defensively-minded form would unnecessarily extend time spent in combat by forcing its users to wait for an opportunity to strike rather than create their own openings. Form V combat was characterized by power attacks and defense immediately followed by a counter-strike.
Source

Drink at least 2.0 L of water daily.

• Fill up and bring water bottles everywhere

Eat at least 5 servings of Fruit / Vegetables daily.

• Fruit with breakfast 
  • Bring lunch salads to work 
  • In season produce guides - March & April

Loot: Every day of water drinking provides $1 towards New Water Bottle

Every serving of vegetables provides $1 towards new kitchen knives

Form VI: Niman (Moderation Form)

Overall, Niman had a fairly relaxed focus on bladework, designed as a simple, easily mastered fighting form for Jedi who preferred to devote most of their time to study and diplomacy.

Source

Go to bed by 22:00 (weeknight) and 00:00 (weekend) by:

• Limit weeknight screen time to 1 hour per night.
  • Limit weekend screen time to 4 hours per day.

Acceptable alternatives include: Exercise, drawing, reading (from a real book), playing with the dog, spending time with the BF, board games, cooking dinner, cleaning, etc.

Loot: To be determined (suggestions welcome) 

Link: Tracking File

• Like 9

2020 Battle Log

2017 - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 || 2018 - 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

2019 - 19 | 20 | 21 | 21.5 | 22 2020 - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Archived Mission Log

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

20 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Loot: To be determined (suggestions welcome) 

Suggestion for loot:

- a book you've been wanting to read

- Jedi boots or a combat saber (of course, something in this price range may be a several-month goal)

- savings to join Rising Heroes or some other NF course

Rogue One

- some kind of food at the end of the challenge (I suggest bacon)

Following.  Good luck, and may the Force be with you. ;)

jyn.gif

• Like 3

Anyone not willing to risk being left behind?

23 hours ago, Dalish said:

Woop woop!  Checking in and cheering on! :D 

Thanks!! Let's go new challenge ~

19 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

Following for the awesome goals. :)

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you ~~

2 hours ago, Dav Ghtroc said:

Suggestion for loot:

- a book you've been wanting to read

- Jedi boots or a combat saber (of course, something in this price range may be a several-month goal)

- savings to join Rising Heroes or some other NF course

Rogue One

- some kind of food at the end of the challenge (I suggest bacon)

Following.  Good luck, and may the Force be with you. ;)

jyn.gif

Oh my those lightsabers ~ Don't know if I need one but now I'm definitely tempted. Would fit well with my lightsaber form theme also :P

But actually Rogue One and Books are the more likely rewards. Maybe combine the two and get The Art of Rogue One 

Hmmm decisions, decisions. Thanks for the support and recommendations!!

• Like 1

2020 Battle Log

2017 - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 || 2018 - 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Week 0 - Day 3

My goal for week 0 is to maintain the awesome things I did last challenge and prepare for the next four weeks. I'll track my progress but more to establish a baseline and plan for Week 1 awesomeness.

Form III:

Yoga - 37 / 60 min

Cardio - 0 / 30 min

Strength - 0/30 min

Today I did one of Yoga with Adriene's longer videos - Yoga for Stress Relief. Randomly picking videos based on time required/mood is good, but I also kinda miss not having to think about anything but just getting the yoga mat out. 

Open items for Form III - sit down and create a schedule. I feel that taking it week by week and planning on the weekends will work best (based on history/habits). So I will start there and change it up as needed. 

Form V:

Sunday - No for water and veg

Monday - Yes for water and veg

Tuesday - Yes for water. Veg tbd. 

Form VI:

Sunday - Yes bedtime

Monday - Yes bedtime (but only because I knew Tuesday was a snowday and figured I could stay up later)

Tuesday - TBD, dinner is a bit behind

Haven't been tracking screen time... because honestly I know I need to do it but I am also coming up with any excuse to still indulge during Week 0. *clutches laptop for dear life*

Yeah.... this is gonna be a tough one ~

• Like 4

2020 Battle Log

1 hour ago, scottie said:

Following for more of your Star Wars awesomeness!

Thank you thank you :)

• Like 1

2020 Battle Log

Mission Log: Forward Momentum 

A few weeks travelling with suspected Imperial Informant(s) left Gar jumpy and suspicious. She had reported her suspicions to her superior officer. But having found no evidence on the ship, the Rebellion could do nothing to act on Gar's suspicions. Frustrated with her failure to find the informant, Gar came up with a plan. She had to become a better fighter. For her sake, and for the sake of the Rebel Alliance. 

"Lieutenant," she saluted her superior officer. "Permission to speak?"

"Granted," Lieutenant Shara Bey paused in the corridor of the base, nodding for Gar to continue.

"I'd like to volunteer for a planet-side mission to improve my discipline and training."

"Are you certain? Ground missions are more dangerous than shuttling runs," Shara studied Gar as she waited for the pilot to answer.

"Yes. Shuttle runs are good and all, but I want to give my all for the Rebel Alliance. For that, I need focus and discipline."

"Very well, I think I know just the job. SpecForce is taking some of their new recruits to Corellia for training. It is not going to be easy, but they will whip you into shape. Keep in mind, while the people are sympathetic to our cause, Corellia is under Imperial control.

"You ship out 0600 tomorrow - bring your droid, SpecForce will find a use for it."

"Thank you, Lieutenant!" Gar saluted. 

Shara nodded and continued down the corridor, pulling out her comm unit. "Kes, I found another recruit for you."

~~~

** A reminder for anyone visiting my thread

1) Welcome! Thank's for stopping by.

2) I've been having a lot of fun with my Star Wars themed challenges and am attempting to write a couple "story posts" each round. I have a dog droid named J4-M0 (aka "Jamo") who is often mentioned or featured in my threads.

3) For other Star Wars fans, I'll admit I'm being heavily influenced by playing SWTOR but trying to keep to "Rebellion Era" timeline stuffs. If I mess up the timeline by a huge amount feel free to point it out, always happy to geek out and increase my knowledge of Star Wars universe stuff (well legends now I guess for most of it..... but you know what I mean) :)

• Like 5

2020 Battle Log

(Almost end of) Week 0 Review! And challenge planning exercise

Tracking Tools:

• Fitbit - Sleep, Steps, Exercise, Heart Rate, Water
  • HabitBull
    • Daily Yoga (y/n)
    • Bedtime (y/n)
    • 5 a day produce (# servings)
    • 2L water daily (# liters)
  • Bullet Journal: Bit of everything! ;) GUYS LOOK AT THAT WATER STREAK!!!!

tumblr_on1824S1xn1w5m9wao4_540.jpg

Scheduling.....

• Yeah... Still working on the specifics. See below for what I have so far....
  • Weekday thoughts:
    • Not allowed to turn on my computer Monday - Thursday. Because it's far too easy to get sucked in for the night. :( 
      • Ipad and phone time to be tracked. Unless its for following along with yoga video or to double check the bodyweight routine
    • 6PM - Get home & play with dog
    • 7PM - Feed dog, start cooking dinner
    • 8PM - Yoga or other at home workout / then walk dog
    • 9PM - Eat dinner, wind down for bed
    • 10PM - In bed, sleeping.

• Like 5

2020 Battle Log

I'm always amazed by people's notebooks... I'm a big typography and layout fan and yet my notebooks are as basic and ugly as it gets.

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

13 hours ago, Dalish said:

Woo that water streak!  Looking great!  

Thanks! Definitely inspiring to see - especially when I go compare to previous months. 

9 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

I'm always amazed by people's notebooks... I'm a big typography and layout fan and yet my notebooks are as basic and ugly as it gets.

Aw thank you. This is definitely the fanciest page spread in my journal, everything else is pretty basic mind dump but I'm growing to enjoy coloring in all the little boxes.

Really as long as the journal is getting use that's all that matters, right? That's the way I try to think of it at least when my inner perfectionist complains :P

57 minutes ago, scottie said:

Ooooooh I love your bullet journal.  And check you with your water streak!

Bravo, Rebel!

Thank you! Now to work on getting my other goals to that point ~

• Like 2

2020 Battle Log

Very nice looking bullet journal spread there. I can totally see how it would be fun to fill in the squares. I might try bullet journaling for tracking sometime this year, or not. I don't know, but I found using an index for notebooks so I can keep completely separate topics in the same notebook very useful.

Also, nice start with zero week. :3

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

14 hours ago, Dagger said:

Very nice looking bullet journal spread there. I can totally see how it would be fun to fill in the squares. I might try bullet journaling for tracking sometime this year, or not. I don't know, but I found using an index for notebooks so I can keep completely separate topics in the same notebook very useful.

Also, nice start with zero week. :3

Thanks! The index is nice in theory until it becomes time for me to keep it up to date.... I did see some methods on Pinterest where common themes were highlighted along the edge of the page to categorize instead of flipping back and forth on the index... might try starting to use that instead.

• Like 1

2020 Battle Log

Week 1 Status Report

I spent a bit of time yesterday at work making an excel spreadsheet to track and grade my progress on everything.... next challenge is to figure out how best to show the data here. (Can the forums handle tables? Maybe a google doc link??)

For screen time I am VERY proud of last night.

Instead of coming home just to plop in front of the tablet or tv I....

• spent ~ 1 hour playing/walking outside with the dog. He's a knucklehead though and keeps trying to gobble snow even though it makes him vomit :(
  • cleaned the kitchen and started dinner just after 7
  • (FYI this recipe - https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016977-black-rice-beet-and-kale-salad-with-cider-flax-dressing - is awesome, didn't have beets and added chicken but it was really really good. Taking leftovers to work for lunch today)
  • 35 mins yoga while rice was cooking (yoga videos aren't counting towards screen time btw)

All of the above had very minimal (~5 min) screen time - just to look up a recipe or run the yoga video.

In the end I used 20 min in the morning to browse NF during breakfast/coffee then another 22 min in the evening for miscellaneous stuff. BF and I also watched the latest episode of Walking Dead (45 min). I'm on the fence whether to count this, but decided I will because 1) pushed back bedtime to 10:30 and 2) even if it is a weekly tradition we're still in front of a tv screen, 3) and it is just once a week so it's not gonna kill my grade as long as I pay attention

That makes Monday's time come in at 87 min of screen time of my allowed. A lot of this was me bolstered by Week 1 motivation, but so far it actually feels nice to break away from the screen addiction. Just gotta keep it up.

• Like 6

2020 Battle Log

19 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

Congrats on your screen time goal! :) It sounds like you really kicked ass there.

Thank you! Won't be easy once Motivation moves on to something else, but Discipline should help me push through :)

14 hours ago, scottie said:

Awesome job! It sounds like that one goal of reducing screen time is having quite a far-reaching impact which is always good. It sounds like a positive week! I hope you are feeling proud

True! I'll have to post some of my musings on the benefit of this as I go through the challenge. Not sure yet if the limit is sustainable, but it's definitely giving me a push to not sit like a lump in front of the computer. 

• Like 4

2020 Battle Log

Link to tracking sheet has been added to the first post!

Link here also for any who don't want to scroll up. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j66JTNCt-YqC6RWIzU9bbzDYemjg04jmZS9sLvR2tLk/edit?usp=sharing

So far I feel like I am doing well. Been taking some big ass salads to lunch with me, which helps me get my 5 a day in. Water goal is staying on track, seeing my "win streak" helps me push through when I get the "I don't want to, do I really have to?" thoughts. Also helping me cut back on the drinks at night.... only so much liquid stuff can be consumed without insane amount of bathroom trips. 

What I do need is more of a push to get the cardio and the strength workouts in. Yoga is so easy - just roll out the mat and load a video (or even just wing it). Want to run in the mornings but it's cold and icy. And coming home after 7PM takes away any desire to do my scheduled workout :/

Extra ranting below!

Work has also been a bitch lately. Monday I have to come home early because BF works late and someone has to take the pupster out. Tuesday & Wednesday I had no such excuse, ended up at work until after 6PM. Then Tuesday went food shopping (avoided the sweets and bakery aisles though! super win there). Wednesday was just crazy - some equipment problems we were trying to troubleshoot.

Luckily I took today (Thursday) off as a Mental Health day earlier in the week. Felt a "stressed, burned out, nervous breakdown" was an imminent possibility. Bad news is I'm still worrying about that equipment and if my teammates got it back up and running. :(

Plan for Thursday - Destress and Move Around

• Adventure with doggy
  • Go to the gym (?)
  • Books & Tea & Drawing
  • Errands / Cleaning maybe - Straighten kitchen or office; do laundry - Bonus for rock out music session while cleaning

Since I have off I've decided to allow myself 2 hours - 1 before noon and 1 afternoon. If I give myself a free for all I'll do nothing but game. Which is fun but won't make me feel any better. Gotta move around, get some sun and enjoy hanging out with the pupster.

• Like 4

2020 Battle Log

Came to check out the rebel base, and got ya all followed now. :)     I love the goals and set up!   When I was playing in that super hard core pro-lore Swtor guild, I learned all about the various forms!  (Ataru was my character's preference! With all those su mas!)    [Nerd alert: ding ding ding].   So this is really awesome.

Work is biting me, so I will catch up on the details in a bit!

Stay on target!!!

• Like 3

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

6 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Came to check out the rebel base, and got ya all followed now. :)     I love the goals and set up!   When I was playing in that super hard core pro-lore Swtor guild, I learned all about the various forms!  (Ataru was my character's preference! With all those su mas!)    [Nerd alert: ding ding ding].   So this is really awesome.

Work is biting me, so I will catch up on the details in a bit!

Stay on target!!!

Thanks for checking in! Browsing through your thread really did inspire me to get some hiking and strength workout-ing in.

And thanks ~ My first / main character is Jedi Knight Sentinel who uses Shii-Cho (Form I) and I got inspiration from obsessively reading about all of the lightsaber forms :)

• Like 3

2020 Battle Log

Post-Thursday Check In

Went hiking with the doggy. Was still chilly out, so the ground was a slippery half-frozen, half muddy sludge. We just did a short trail, the frozen streams through the wetlands was pretty cool to see.

After hiking I headed off to the gym. Wrote my workout before I went (and brought a pen to edit as needed). Apologies for the super large photo. Ended up being 10 min cardio / 40 min strength (this includes the warmup and cool down)

tumblr_onahxoJjyd1w5m9wao1_1280.jpg

Came home, made lunch (leftover bison tacos w guac, peppers, onions plus snap peas I ate while the foodstuffs was warming up). 

Was mentally struggling with the whole "what am I going to do it's only 2PM and I have 48 min of interwebs left". Tossed on some music and got to cleaning.... it's amazing how much dust, dog hair and dirt accumulates. Though granted it's probably been about 2 weeks since we last did a good cleaning. Cleaned up the kitchen & living room. Bedroom and office are another story (makes us look like we are hoarders thanks to my habit of "save this to donate/recycle/thrift shop/etc" accumulation - with rare trips to actually get rid of said garbage. 

By the time I was sick of cleaning, it actually had gotten pretty nice and warm outside. Took doggy outside to play while I sketched my favorite neighboring tree (i seriously do have a favorite and enjoy drawing different angles and studies of the branches). Came inside and browsed through the backlog of mail/magazines that had accumulated on the kitchen table. 

And now that my 3 hours of avoiding the internet is done.... I was pleasantly surprised how after the initial "oh my god no internet what am i going to do with myself" I ended up thoroughly enjoying doggy play time and catching up on back issues of stuff (Economist's 1843 mostly). I wanted to come check in on the thread but I'm not really feeling tied to the computer. Probably will just log off and curl up with a book or some crafts. 

• Like 5

2020 Battle Log

Oh wow, that spreadsheet looks so serious and professional... :o

The cold and icy part - I have found that they key is really to get outside and warm up. Once you are running, none of that matters. In fact, I enjoy running in shitty weather because it makes me feel badass and adventurous. :)

Otherwise, it seems like you are really killing it this challenge. Good job!

• Like 2

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)