[Harrgath] Cry Havoc: Season of the Dark Ranger

w92oLTmdJLbkwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Starting weight baseline:  198 lbs.

CrossFit Skill Metrics:  CrossFit Metrics

CrossFit Games Athlete profilehttps://games.crossfit.com/athlete/602549

gOBvuDBfrJDWgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

PRELUDE:  Sinister forces have arisen.

They haunt the shadows, preying primarily on those in solitude, plaguing your thoughts and leading you further and further astray until you have strayed so far from the Path that you inhabit the self-same darkness these demonic entities originate and derive their baleful powers from.

Lo, I am no blessed Paladin or Priest, nor mighty Warrior or Sorcerer.  I am blessed by no faith, but remain strong of limb and keen of reflex; still, it will take a cunning mind to withstand the taint of Demonic corruption.  I will either find the strength within me to resist or I will surely fall to insanity and madness... can one hope to dance with demons and emerge through the waltz unscathed?

I am the Dark Ranger, and I will find out. 

HAVOC.

• 4 CrossFit classes per week:  ☐☐☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐]
  • 3 Supplementary workouts per week:  ☐☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐☐]

MASTERY.

• Visit the Sanctum of Inner Sight (Happy Place™) daily:  ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐
  • 3 sessions of “something resembling meditation” per week:  ☐☐☐

BLOOD ALCHEMY.

• RP Plan & MyFitnessPal Tracking 5 of 7 days/week:  ☐☐☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐☐]
  • Mindful Moment before meals  [Challenge Total: __ ]

SELF-IMPROVEMENT JUNKIE.

• Post a daily challenge update 4 of 7 days/week:  ☐☐☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐☐]

To-Do list…

• ☐☐ Debt Management.
  • Skin Care 101: have moles looked at/removed. 
  • Read:  Focus on your N.U.T.S.

tumblr_nygbw9dxy91uzwbyjo1_500.gif

"Step into the abyss.  Welcome it. Know it.  It's yours, now." Kunai.

CHALLENGE INSPIRATION:  Duty no longer will suffice; this battle is one of survival.  In the long-abandoned Dreadlands exist a sect of forgotten souls oath-sworn to seek out and eradicate the infernal taint of evil wherever it may be found… these dark marauders, witch slayers and demon hunters have dedicated themselves to thwarting the darkness through whatever means necessary.  Their use of weaponry and apocryphal magicks considered by many to be unnatural or itself as evil as the corrupt forces these restless vigilantes claim to destroy have earned the mistrust of nearly all, though their successes cannot be argued. 

Like them I have seen the madness within and I must resist its temptation, to fall down that hole into insanity.  For the last few months I have been battling my own demons in the form of anxiety and it has made some significant impacts on my personal life, mental wellness, & motivation on more than one occasion.  As with my personal health and fitness, I seek artifacts, traits and abilities, and wisdom through self-care that will aid me in this battle lest it conquer me completely.

I will carve out my Path.  This is the season of the Dark Ranger.

• Like 16

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Work In Progress...

For my Path, I seek Balance through Havoc and Mastery.

Havoc harnesses raw primal forces to strengthen myself but does so at the risk of tearing my body apart.  It is primarily offensive, balanced through workouts, nutrition, and gym attendance.

Mastery is the cultivation of healthy mental well-being through self-care and focus.  It recharges slowly, focusing on defensive and support skills, can be refilled quicker through positive actions and self-mastery techniques.

BALANCE

Havoc______Mastery

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐|☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Demon Battles won (Self-Care mitigation): [Challenge Total: __ ]

Ruminate on this Tome of the Inner Eye for inn balance…

• Write.

• Read.

• Uplifting music.

• Clean.

• Like 10

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Lovely theme!  The yin/yang of life, the duality of nature, the fight against our inner demons who are a part of our soul.  You have shared so much of your inner turmoil, yet almost nothing at all.  It leaves the reader wanting more...   This looks amazing and your prose is masterful as always!!!  

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: FULL CUP

BALANCE

Havoc______Mastery

☐☐☐☐☐☐☐|☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Demon Battles won (Self-Care mitigation): [Challenge Total: _1_ ]

Challenge Journal:  Week 0, #MomoaTuesday.  ;)

I hereby decree that Week 0 has begun... for me, at least!

Yesterday was a bit of a mental battle for me, I was reading into details that didn't exist and it seemed like my head was getting the best of me for a bit.  So I slowed things down, kept myself busy plugging away at this challenge, and focused on the positive.  A friend of mine a while back told me to examine the "facts as you know them," that is, look back at the most recent evidence and see if it correlates with your headspace.  It did not, which was comforting, and I managed to salvage the afternoon.  One demon down!  Got a second wordout in, PR'd my Front Squat at 315#, and the evening was nothing but happy times and carried me through. 

I'm in a wonderful mood today; woke up on the right side of the bed (left technically...), enjoyed my morning [Greater Elixir of Raw Energy] (protein, pre-workout, and powerade carbs, as per RP) and got a workout in, spent the afternoon meal prepping - this Renaissance Periodization template is a lot of bloody work, but... science.  All told, it feels like a good start to another challenge here in the NFsphere.

Here's your #MomoaMonday/Tuesday and daily motivation all in one (an oldy but a goody):

Today's WOD

STRENGTH

Squat Clean Thrusters: 3s up to 185#, 2s up to 215#, 1s up to 245# (with probably enough gas left in the tank for 255#+).

CONDITIONING

3 Rounds for time of...

In 04:00, AMRAP:

40 Double-unders

30 Wall Balls

40 Double-unders

30 Handstand Pushups

* Rest for 4:00 between rounds *

HAVOC.

• 4 CrossFit classes per week:  ☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐]
  • 3 Supplementary workouts per week:  ☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐☐]

MASTERY.

• Visit the Sanctum of Inner Sight (Happy Place™) daily:  ☐☐☐☐☐
  • 3 sessions of “something resembling meditation” per week:  ☐☐

BLOOD ALCHEMY.

• RP Plan & MyFitnessPal Tracking 5 of 7 days/week:  ☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐☐]
  • Mindful Moment before meals  [Challenge Total: _3_ ]

SELF-IMPROVEMENT JUNKIE.

• Post a daily challenge update 4 of 7 days/week:  ☐☐☐  [Challenge Total:  ☐☐☐☐☐]

To-Do list…

• ☐☐ Debt Management.
  • Skin Care 101: have moles looked at/removed. 
  • Read:  Focus on your N.U.T.S.

2 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Definitely following this one dude!

tumblr_obmadcudDy1sxwyufo1_400.gif

2 hours ago, Terra said:

Lovely theme!  The yin/yang of life, the duality of nature, the fight against our inner demons who are a part of our soul.  You have shared so much of your inner turmoil, yet almost nothing at all.  It leaves the reader wanting more...   This looks amazing and your prose is masterful as always!!!  

I really like the balance between Hatred & Discipline for the Demon Hunter class of Diablo 3, but it needed some tweaking to serve me because focusing on building or even spending Hatred as a resource mechanic isn't exactly the philosophy I'm espousing with this challenge, whereas Havoc can be kind of fun... and easily melds with my Chaotic Neutral alignment.  ;)

If you felt I "shared so much of [my] inner turmoil, yet almost nothing at all," my mission was accomplished flawlessly.  Expect more of that all challenge, haha!

2 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Great challenge! Love the nietzchean atmosphere.

Also, pretty impressive CF Athlete profile

Totally wasn't striving for that, but absolutely delighted to hear about how you interpreted things that way.  Please, go on!

And thank you, sir!

1 hour ago, obax said:

Following along again. I like the idea of the Dark Ranger, and the overall tone you've got going on.

I will be building on that archetype all challenge.  Anticipate much demon-slaying! (I hope...)

59 minutes ago, Katrin Josephina Morag said:

Tentatively following again :loyal:

giphy.gif

• Like 10

La la la, Jason Momoa~~ 

I mean... Hi Rurik! Following along. :)

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Mate, I am also having problem with reading too much into things too. This may prove a worthy new addition to my Self-Care list.

Not all Paladins have a stick up their...place a stick shouldn't go.

I believe the term you're looking for here is "fundament".

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

This one resonates with me a lot, have to say.

Following along to witness you slay your demons, and maybe even learn a thing or two so this bumbling battlemage can do the same.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Oooohhhhh... pretty. Following.

Inquiring minds want to know: are you going to fly off the road in a fiery crash, or did you get your vehicle shit straightened out at the last minute while inquiring minds weren't paying attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Sick ass challenge, brother! I like your Havoc/Mastery combo. It suits you :)

Also, speaking of D3....NECROMANCER!!!

R16BEBZPJ11R1478285467370.png

That's a good reason to re-download the game cuz I mean....who doesn't want to raise a Blood Golem to do your dark biddings?

Wolf

• Like 4

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

Inquiring minds want to know: are you going to fly off the road in a fiery crash, or did you get your vehicle shit straightened out at the last minute while inquiring minds weren't paying attention?

YES THIS is really the main reason I popped in, well aside from the fact that it's Rurik, the poverty tire has been weighing on our minds clearly.

17 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Read:  Focus on your N.U.T.S.

Wait what

Why has no one questioned this yet??

giphy.gif

• Like 9

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Not all Paladins have a stick up their...place a stick shouldn't go. One at least will stand and fight alongside the Dark Ranger for an awesome mismatched-buddy-cop movie vibe.

qccc_2015_masquerade_122_by_mrjechgo-d9e

Seriously, the Crusader might be the coolest thing ever.  The artwork out there...

12 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

La la la, Jason Momoa~~ 

I mean... Hi Rurik! Following along. :)

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Mate, I am also having problem with reading too much into things too. This may prove a worthy new addition to my Self-Care list.

As I delve further into the Vaults of Madness and peer into forgotten tomes of untapped knowledge, there should be reams of self-care knowledge for you to gleam.  Hope we all learn a thing or two about looking after our mental health this challenge actually!

6 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

This one resonates with me a lot, have to say.

Following along to witness you slay your demons, and maybe even learn a thing or two so this bumbling battlemage can do the same.

Bumbling or not, I'll gladly have you along for my dungeon party!

Wizard-Disintegrate.gif~c200

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Ooooooooooooooooooooh, Dark Ranger. I misread that for a moment :P

You would.  :P

• Like 11

2 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Oooohhhhh... pretty. Following.

Done and done!  Crisis averted.  Much thanks to all the nagging concerned Nerds and other loved ones in my life for harping on me to get that done.  ;)

ufgugaiqwsorowpxjhll.gif

2 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Sick ass challenge, brother! I like your Havoc/Mastery combo. It suits you :)

Also, speaking of D3....NECROMANCER!!!

That's a good reason to re-download the game cuz I mean....who doesn't want to raise a Blood Golem to do your dark biddings?

I had a lot of hours logged on my Diablo 2 Necro.

I4C8GPYF5I351478284368334.gif

CORPSE EXPLOSION!

1 hour ago, mr_willes said:

Kick some butt this challenge!

What+if+what+if+aragorn+had+a+banana_2dc

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Why has no one questioned this yet??

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008RSGE0C/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

One of my Kindle samples from last month's challenge proved to be worth further investigation.  ;)

Frankly I'm surprised no one commented sooner.  Look for a mini-quest next week featuring a book review perhaps!

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

tumblr_nygbw9dxy91uzwbyjo1_500.gif

FUCK. YES.

giphy.gif

Obviously following cause I got chills reading that and it made me want to work out, do some serious introspection, and go play WoW, all at the same time. Fantastic challenge, great themeing, great ideas.

Also, can we take a moment about how epic that whole Legion cinematic is? I can hear the music in my head watching that gif. I may be pledged to the Horde, but something about both factions working together always gets me a little teary eyed and excited.

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Not all Paladins have a stick up their...place a stick shouldn't go. One at least will stand and fight alongside the Dark Ranger for an awesome mismatched-buddy-cop movie vibe.

Now this is a buddy cop movie I would SERIOUSLY watch.

Also, I totally hear you on the mental work. I get into such trouble projecting my fears, thinking I know what's going on, what people are thinking about me, when I absolutely do not. Important, useful work. There's a reason the NF Academy starts off with mindset, then nutrition, THEN workout. I personally believe those are in order of importance.

• Like 5

Level 11 Hobbit Brewmaster

Half Ranger, Half Druid, Completely Ridiculous

Instagram

Current Challenge: Mizbrek Studies with the Order of the Broken Temple

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

24 minutes ago, Mizbrek said:

Obviously following cause I got chills reading that and it made me want to work out, do some serious introspection, and go play WoW, all at the same time. Fantastic challenge, great themeing, great ideas.

Also, can we take a moment about how epic that whole Legion cinematic is? I can hear the music in my head watching that gif. I may be pledged to the Horde, but something about both factions working together always gets me a little teary eyed and excited.

Good old Mizbrek, my homeboy from Azeroth.  I was hoping you'd be around... we share such wonderful and colorful views on gaming!  Your Brewmaster Warcraft challenge still remains one of my all-time favorites to have ever come across.  ;)

That Anduin... theme song... though!

1 hour ago, shaar said:

1. UGH ME TOO.   Man, I rambled a bit about class archetypes and what they ~*~mean to me~*~ (your favorite topic, it is one of mine too) a few challenges back, back in the wasteland of old 4WC content now, let's see if I can drag it from my memory succinctly...

I've always loved the idea and method of archetypes and feeling like a class was *you*, somehow it's kinda special and motivating in a weird way?  Since WoW I've always considered myself a total Druid/Shaman archetype but as I grew and Life Happened I felt kind of out of place/stuck.  I think that's why I loved FFXIV so much, you could level as many classes as your heart desired and switch between them depending on the situation at hand, the utility is so refreshing and utilitarian.  I can still be the healer and the comforter for others (and myself), but if the situation calls for it I can armor up and be the protector and the shield, but if I need to I can grab my lance and fight some dragons, and still if the tides turn and get shitty I can grab my toodly harp and motivate the shit out of a situation.... it's neat to me because while I'm not a real bard or dragoon (I guess), I can certainly develop those corresponding Modern Day Life Skills that can make me feel versatile and able to handle any situation that comes my way.

I've loved Dragoons since the olden days of FF2 on SNES for their strength and versatility, and my overarching ZEST FOR LIFE and unfettered optimism firmly sticks me in Bard territory.

GEEZ THAT WAS LONG SORRY XD  I could geek out about class archetypes way too much..

I wanted to redirect this topic to my challenge to avoid cluttering up the General Chatter thread, but also because I love a good discourse on class archetypes and @shaar got me good and thinking!

What a class means to me is exactly my affection for this subject.  See, this is why we're friends!  I might have to go digging for that discussion in your past challenges too!

I always identified with the Barbarian/Druid from Diablo 2 and thereby the Shaman (Enhancement) from Warcraft, the Hunter too, but I've strayed from those vibes of late.  CrossFit has made me a little bit flamboyant and I love some bright & shiny colors plus special effects in my gaming!  Druid/Shaman has some of that, but I'm not feeling the "Nature Feel-Good Vibes" so much and need a redirectionization (a word of my own devising ;)).  I feel a deep-seated need to identify with the protagonist/main character/my class in order to achieve the level of immersion required for me to truly enjoy a video game, which is a large part of the problem I've had lately with sitting down and fully digesting a gaming experience lately.  I haven't been able to connect with a class! 

That said, I loved the Barbarian on D3 when it first came out, but not the Warrior in WoW.  Too boring and vanilla.  Played a lot of Paladin on D2 and WoW, really dig the Crusader in D3 but I struggle to identify with the whole Holy Light/faith/zealot angle, even if it can be a pleasant diversion - I'm leveling a Crusader and my old Paladin slowly (kind of like tectonic plate shifting, that slow).  The one game and class that really got me was the Bounty Hunter from Star Wars: The Old Republic.  Sure, I wanted to be a special snowflake with a lightsaber like all the Jedi and Sith out there too, but the BH's relentless toolkit of utility, tricks, and self-sufficiency spoke to me.  He was also flashy with flame jets, lasers, and missiles!  The Demon Hunter on D3 feels a bit like that, and I'm digging the personality of that character with regards to my headspace of late.

Just wish Blizzard wasn't so close to releasing a new Season on that game... I'd hate to put a lot of work into something just to have it invalid within a few weeks' time.

For relevance, I had to go check out the Lancer/Dragoon from FFXIV.  I really dig the high-flying leaping-to-and-fro aerial spear shenanigans!  That mid-range big polearm style of gameplay appeals to me - has since Diablo 2 when I ran a pike Barbarian and occasionally a lance Amazon.  I know that's your character of choice when paired with a Bard too, the Barb embodying the positive impact of my companions the way I wish to if not currently a reality.  Except I call it a Skald, cuz Vikings, right?  ;)

Everybody jump in on this.  Love, love, love character class discussion as it relates to RL personality types!

• Like 5

Yahaaaaa multiquoting this sucker:

6 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I feel a deep-seated need to identify with the protagonist/main character/my class in order to achieve the level of immersion required for me to truly enjoy a video game, which is a large part of the problem I've had lately with sitting down and fully digesting a gaming experience lately.  I haven't been able to connect with a class!

YES ABSOLUTELY.  This so much - if a game doesn't have a main character "trope" I can really jive with I just won't... feel it as much.  I'll get bored and wander off to something else.  I'm an old school gamer that's had a lot of trouble delving into games like I used to in the past, and I think this is why.  I also think it's why I love FFXV so much - for all of its shortcomings (which it surely has), two of the four main characters I feel I can heavily identify with in a clean 50% split of both, and it makes a huge difference.

9 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

That said, I loved the Barbarian on D3 when it first came out, but not the Warrior in WoW.  Too boring and vanilla.  Played a lot of Paladin on D2 and WoW, really dig the Crusader in D3 but I struggle to identify with the whole Holy Light/faith/zealot angle, even if it can be a pleasant diversion - I'm leveling a Crusader and my old Paladin slowly (kind of like tectonic plate shifting, that slow).  The one game and class that really got me was the Bounty Hunter from Star Wars: The Old Republic.  Sure, I wanted to be a special snowflake with a lightsaber like all the Jedi and Sith out there too, but the BH's relentless toolkit of utility, tricks, and self-sufficiency spoke to me.  He was also flashy with flame jets, lasers, and missiles!  The Demon Hunter on D3 feels a bit like that, and I'm digging the personality of that character with regards to my headspace of late.

P R E A C H *hands in air emoji*  I wanted to love WoW warrior, especially Fury, but you're exactly right, too boring and vanilla.  Now the FFXIV Marauder/Warrior class is SO fundamentally different and I adore it.  They did such a killer job of making it a very exhilarating/furious/rage-based class and pulled it off well IMO.  It's so wild how different games with the same base class can tinker it to be something so wholly different!

Ugh TOR was so great until end game.  I played it 5(?? IDEK) years ago and once I hit cap it was either a. do these shitty raids or b. do this shitty open-world PvP where you fly around on your scooters and collect randomly spawning chests and shoot the other faction. I chose the PvP (natch), it was fun for maybe a week....... Also Bounty Hunter for life!  I tried other classes but they were all just kind of cookie cutter?  Utility, again, yep.  I was actually a healing BH which made the PvP for me a lot more fun. :)

17 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

For relevance, I had to go check out the Lancer/Dragoon from FFXIV.  I really dig the high-flying leaping-to-and-fro aerial spear shenanigans!  That mid-range big polearm style of gameplay appeals to me - has since Diablo 2 when I ran a pike Barbarian and occasionally a lance Amazon.  I know that's your character of choice when paired with a Bard too, the Barb embodying the positive impact of my companions the way I wish to if not currently a reality.  Except I call it a Skald, cuz Vikings, right?  ;)

DRG is such a fun class but it's challenging!  Lots of cycles and bleeds and junk to keep up but they're really a great combo of strength and agility.  It's not my favorite class to play but the characterization/storyline is just killer.

I Googled 'Skald', haha! XD  Reminds me of those early WoW dungeons in the Northrend expansion, with all those giant yelling bearded dudes!!!

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

7 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Everybody jump in on this.  Love, love, love character class discussion as it relates to RL personality types!

Well, if you insist... 

giphy.gif

(get it? Cause peons say work work work...or is that peasants? Also this peon does not skip leg day)

In WoW, I’ve mained a hunter for years, though mostly this was due to gameplay mechanics. I prefer in WoW to sit back at range, see the whole situation, and I like having the pets as a built in tank. Though also I love animals IRL so this part kinda tracks.

Personally I’ve always envisioned myself more as a monk, though less in the way NF does. I have no real interest in martial arts, but personally I’ve always liked the idea of being right in the fray of things, tossing people around, smacking them, using their own strength against them. My little personal super hero idea rarely uses any kind of weapons – hands are all he needs. 

Probably my ideal class is something closer to the newer version of survival hunter – dealing some damage as he approaches an enemy, then closing in for the kill. But in terms of my overall archetype, I often come back to Chen Stormstout. Traveling the world, gathering knowledge, creating beautiful things (who says beer isn’t a beautiful thing?), never shying from a fight or hard work, but rarely seeking either out, truthfully. The giant cuddly panda who can kick all your asses simultaneously. I do enjoy the Brewmaster Monk in WoW, though for practical reasons tanking isn’t often my style. NF is more about who you want to be, in your own life, and probably for me the Brewmaster best exemplifies that. 

I think it’s interesting to look at the classes we gravitate to in games, but it’s not a sure thing, I’d say. I like the idea of paladins, but I am in no way religious. I like the play style of Demon Hunters, but definitely am not interested in sucking demon souls (I think). I love the playstyle of rogues, but have no real personal interest in stealth or agility (I’d rather they hear me coming a mile away, beating a war drum and quaking in their boots).

The other thing I’ll add here, I think it’s also interesting, where possible, to see what races people pick. I always, always, always, like to play the oddballs, the contradictions, the ones that just don’t make sense. My Paladin is a giant Tauren, new to this whole paladining thing. My pirate rogue is a gnome, tiny and not overly strong (and tbh she would totally be a Tauren if Tauren paladins were a thing). The noble hero of my gaming story (and Mizbrek’s namesake), the savior of Azeroth, Huntmaster, Champion of the Broken Isles and Noble Hero of the Horde, is a tiny Goblin, a race of supposed money grubbers and opportunists. I’ve always loved to play race/class combos that make the minimal amount of sense, and in my own life I strive to be that contradiction – the massive nerd who dresses like a Brooks Brothers ad, the shorter guy who can outlift and outrun guys twice his size, the quiet guy who can out drink anyone and speak on any current event.

Course, at the end of it all, I tend to play every class at some point in WoW. At the end of it, RangerBrain wins out.

• Like 4

Instagram

13 minutes ago, Mizbrek said:

The other thing I’ll add here, I think it’s also interesting, where possible, to see what races people pick. I always, always, always, like to play the oddballs, the contradictions, the ones that just don’t make sense.

Yessss Tauren for LIFE. *fistbump*  My main has always been a Tauren Druid, but I've got a hodgepodge of RangerBrain other-Tauren classes too.  I always tend to gravitate towards bigger/animal classes, I loved the Charr in the original Guild Wars and when they released them as a playable race in GW2, OK LOOK OUT HERE I AM.  I play an AuRa in FFXIV, a big ol' scaly dragon-like dude with horns and a tail.  Not to say I haven't made (and enjoyed) a few human-esque characters in my day, but I like the different ones best too. :) My friends always joke that out of all of us, you'll know which one is me because  everyone else plays general human-style characters and then HERE I AM, some giant "which one of these is not like the others" behemoth thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shaar said:

Not to say I haven't made (and enjoyed) a few human-esque characters in my day, but I like the different ones best too. :) My friends always joke that out of all of us, you'll know which one is me because  everyone else plays general human-style characters and then HERE I AM, some giant "which one of these is not like the others" behemoth thing.

I actually sort of like the humans in WoW, from a lore perspective, but as I say to my friend "I have to play a human in real life! Why would I want to play one in my escape?!" But yes, right here with you. For me it's the size differential. Give me too small or too big. None of this "normal size" BS. Where's the fun in that?!

• Like 2

Instagram