Anim Gets Back to Business

Anim07734

Anim's journey had been delayed, but none of the obstacles had proven enough to stop him.  Part of him still wanted to go back and destroy the most irritating, but that would only serve to tie him down when he needed to continue forward.  There was work to be done, and now he had time to return to it.

I ended up dropping a lot of stuff here on the forums, including my own challenges, when problem customers at work decided to cause extra hassles.  If arson wasn't so frowned upon, there'd be significantly fewer buildings in the area.  But that's (mostly) taken care of, so it's time to get back on track.

Run 3/week - I've been rethinking my workout plan and want to try something different, so I'll be switching to primarily GtG for my strength training this month.  And since pays me to workout 3hrs a week, I'll be using that to pick back up my running.  Most of these will be 1.5mi trail runs, but I'll also be counting the office sports and the odd beach run, if I can work up the motivation.

GtG training 5/week - I'm still deciding how I want to do these, so this may change.  I'm currently planning to pick an exercise or two per night and do sets every ~30min until bed.

Watch what I eat - I quit calorie counting sometime in January, and love not having it hanging over my head.  Unfortunately, my waistline isn't cooperating, so I need to focus on what I'm eating and how much or I'm going to have to start tracking again.  My "cook X times" goals keep backfiring, so I'm going to keep this a little more free form.  For now, I'll aim for cooking more than I go out for meals and avoiding fast food.  I also need to start washing dishes consistently, so cooking is always an option. :playful:

Projects - I've got a long list of projects, but for this month, my goal is to finish my landscaping work and get started on my Alphonse costume.  Right now that means finishing the miniatures currently claiming my workspace and balancing projects with other chores to get everything cleaned and organized.

• Like 5

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Sorry to hear people are causing problems, but good call on refraining from arson (tempting though it might be). Would you be able to do any of the GtG stuff at work? Right now, I've got an reminder to do 6 incline pushups that goes off every hour at work, and it has helped immensely. I realize your sets are probably (a lot) more intensive than that, though, just a thought. Hope things settle down a bit for you at work - you've got this. 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Woot woot running and trying to keep a better handle on food and list of stuff to get done! I am curious to see how your GTG training for strength works out!

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

What is GtG Training? I googled but got obstacle course stuff and I don't remember you saying anything about having one at home. 

Also dishes are the worst! Good luck this challenge. 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Curious how you find the GtG 

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

One of the best training montages ever.

GtG stands for "grease the groove."  It's a training method that focuses on lots of smaller sets spread throughout the day, with plenty of rest between, so that your total reps increase.  It's most commonly used to help get past a training plateau, but I'm just trying to shorten my dedicated workouts and make it easier to fit in intramural sports.

On the days I actually remember, it works pretty well.  When I first started training pullups, I set an hourly chime on my watch and did a comfortable set whenever it went off at home.  That got me from an AMRAP of 2 up to ~14 in 4 or 5 months.  Remembering's the hard part.  I'll probably have to set up some kind of alarm on my phone to remind me.  Actually, I can probably use my HIIT timer app.

I'm not currently planning to try getting sets in at work.  My work clothes aren't conducive to squats and I don't have access to a bar substitute for pullups or toes-to-bar variants.  I may try finding a pushup variant that works, if I have trouble getting the habit to stick at home, but remembering will be even more difficult with my current work schedule.

• Like 3

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I finished leveling the ground and laying the landscaping fabric down the side of my house Sunday and Monday and started moving rock last night.  Five wheel barrow loads in about an hour got me ~20% filled.  I've got costuming scheduled tonight and tomorrow and my RPG Friday, then they're predicting storms for most of the weekend, so not sure when I'll finish.

Priority for miniatures shifted to my wood elves so I can start playing Blood Bowl with them.  I've got some touchup to finish tonight before costuming, then clear coating, before they're done.  That'll free up the space I need to start costuming.  

My plan for this week is to get a good Amestrian Military Uniform pattern made up for the rest of the group and start figuring out the scale for my Alphonse costume.  My goal is to build a 7ft suit of armor around my 5ft 6in frame, so it'll be the right size compared to the rest of the group.  I'm expecting to need 6in stilts, but it should allow me to remove the helmet without my head showing.  Last time I made a costume like this (my Heavyarms costume during college), it took about 6 months of work.  I had planned to start this one in January, but kept having other priorities.  So now I've only got 6 months till Dragoncon to make this happen.  On the plus side, I'm no longer a poor college student, so I don't have to scavenge cardboard from the dorm dumpster.  On the down side, my expectations have risen with my experience and increased funds.  So we'll see how this goes. :playful:

For those unfamiliar with Full Metal Alchemist, this is Alphonse:

fullmetal-alchemist-4e266ad400b78.jpg

I'm planning to get my second run for the week today, with the third as office sports Friday morning.  We technically started Volleyball this week, but I was one of two people to show up for our first game, so that may not be a thing this year.  Having trouble remember my GtG, but I'm going to count 5-6hrs of digging on Sunday and deadlifts+moving rock yesterday.  I still won't make my goal for the week, unless I manage to remember tonight though.  I also need to set some time aside to try the minichallenge lists... :playful:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Having trouble remember my GtG, but I'm going to count 5-6hrs of digging on Sunday and deadlifts+moving rock yesterday.  I still won't make my goal for the week, unless I manage to remember tonight though.  I also need to set some time aside to try the minichallenge lists... :playful:

Digging and wheelbarrowing definitely counts as a workout. I figured you'd be trying out all those minichallenge moves before posting them. ;) "This is Anim's brag list of all the badass things he can do. Go to it!" :D

The Alphonse concept sounds really cool. I hear you on raising standards once the budget raises though. Would love to see pictures once it's done. Have you considered scouring thrift stores (or shoe sales) for platform boots instead of stilts? Just a thought. 

On 3/22/2017 at 7:56 PM, Manarelle said:

Digging and wheelbarrowing definitely counts as a workout. I figured you'd be trying out all those minichallenge moves before posting them. ;) "This is Anim's brag list of all the badass things he can do. Go to it!" :D

The Alphonse concept sounds really cool. I hear you on raising standards once the budget raises though. Would love to see pictures once it's done. Have you considered scouring thrift stores (or shoe sales) for platform boots instead of stilts? Just a thought. 

While I'm above average on the fitness scale, I'm still working on free handstands and am nowhere close to things like muscle ups or human flags.  Those things go on the list of goals. :friendly_wink:  My biggest problems right now are muscular endurance (since training pure strength is more fun) and weak grip  (for my strength) due to bad wrists.  I'm hoping the GtG will address the first and I've picked up some ideas from the last blog post for the second.  After that, it's just time and commitment.  (As one of the how-to's I found while researching for the mini said: "I just practiced one-hand handstands for 4hrs a day until I got there." :frown-new:)

I'll definitely be looking at platform shoes, but all the ones I've seen are prohibitively expensive and I won't know how well they'll work until I start working.  Since I want to do a WH40k Tau costume at some point, I'm leaning towards making my own digitigrade stilts (or go all out on this style).  As a bonus, these will make it much easier to go up and down stairs in the giant boots, since all my weight will be on my toes somewhere around the middle of his foot.  I'm not sure how comfortable they'll be just standing around, but I should be able to make them comfortable enough for one day of badassery.

Got all 3 days of running this week, and remember enough GtG yesterday for me to count it.  Friend asked for help moving a fridge, so I'm waiting to start today's GtG until I get back from that. :playful:

Costuming went better than expected, as we found a ready made uniform for cheaper than we could make our own.  Assuming it looks as good as the pictures, we'll just go with that.  And if not, we can take it apart for a pattern.  Planning for Al is a little slow, as I'm still looking up reference pics to get a good scale before I start designing individual pieces.  So far all the joints are lining up better than I expected though.

And since I like showing off my projects, here's my finished wood elf Blood Bowl team, the Treetop Flowers:

33486049502_f071dedcfe_z.jpg

The coach:

33486044742_c689aeec6b_z.jpg

#0, Treewoman Mulan:

33486042922_0636b3ea53_z.jpg

#11, Wardancer Rose:

33486041782_142782249d_z.jpg33486040812_891fae507a_z.jpg

and #25, Wardancer Violet:

33486038142_13a93f9d83_z.jpg33486038442_13d2882d35_z.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, as this is the first time I've tried green stuffing hair onto a mini (everyone but Rose and Mulan started with a mohawk).  Now I just need to track down some scantily clad male elves to make their cheerleaders and pick out minis for assistant coaches and other staff.  Most of that is on hold until after my massive Reaper kickstarter gets here and I get to a stopping point with costuming though.

And it's a little late, but I didn't have a challenge thread at the time, so here's my finished computer tower, Enki, with his earth wizard avatar guarding the drawbridge:

33486053642_acd72c4ba4_z.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I'm hoping the GtG will address the first and I've picked up some ideas from the last blog post for the second.  After that, it's just time and commitment.  (As one of the how-to's I found while researching for the mini said: "I just practiced one-hand handstands for 4hrs a day until I got there." :frown-new:)

The blog post came in super handy this week - I've been having pain on the outside of my wrist when trying wall stuff at parkour, couldn't figure out why. Added some of the stretches and exercises, and was able to do cat leap to hang with no pain, so yay for good timing there. Errr... 4 hours a day seems a LOT excessive, but to each their own. 

Both of the stilts look freaking amazing (though hard to walk on for a full day, I'm sure). Definitely looking forward to seeing that project progress. And speaking of, love the wood elfs (elves?)! I am heavily amused by the idea of scantily clad elf male cheerleaders, why is this not a thing irl yet? :D Grats on the gtg progress, and good luck with the fridge move. 

On 3/25/2017 at 7:55 PM, Manarelle said:

Errr... 4 hours a day seems a LOT excessive, but to each their own. 

It was supposed to be a "I did it and so can you!" post, but I think the guy forgot that his full-time job is owning a gym and managing a fitness site, while mine involves sitting at a desk for ~9hrs a day. :playful:  That said, I really should dedicate more time to exercise and less to things like phone games.  I'm sure that would significantly improve my progress.

Since moving that fridge became a 4+hr process of dissassembly, carrying all the pieces downstairs, reassembly, carrying all the food downstairs (in coolers), and a couple "while you're here" tasks, I'm counting that as my final workout for last week. So 4/4 workouts and 3/3 runs!  Better than I expected for my first week back.  Ended up helping a friend shop for furniture Sunday, and load/unload the final purchase, then moved rock for about an hour, so that's my first workout for this week.  I think I'm about halfway through with that stretch, maybe a little less.  Did a trail run last night, but had no motivation to move more rock, so I used the rest of the night to do dishes and work on mini prep.

Hoping to leave work early enough to do another run tonight and maybe squeeze in some deadlifts, if I can find an open bar with enough plates.  (There was a bar free yesterday, but only 2x 45# plates :().  That's also when I remember to do my handstand practice, so I'm okay with getting extra runs in a week.  Doesn't look like volleyball is happening this year, so that makes things easier; I wasn't looking forward to 3 games this week anyway.  When I get home, I need to move rock and/or cook dinner for the week, then finish mini prep.

After a quick trial run (tied a piece of 1x4 to my foot), I don't think the digitigrade stilts will work.  But I have everything I need to make a trial set, so I'll throw some together and try it before I decide.  I also have everything I should need to make my own platform shoes, so that's my current backup plan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Since moving that fridge became a 4+hr process of dissassembly, carrying all the pieces downstairs, reassembly, carrying all the food downstairs (in coolers), and a couple "while you're here" tasks, I'm counting that as my final workout for last week.

Yikes, that sounds tedious but good that you were able to count it as a workout...

I'm also very excited to see how the Cosplay shapes up!

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

22 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

After a quick trial run (tied a piece of 1x4 to my foot), I don't think the digitigrade stilts will work.  But I have everything I need to make a trial set, so I'll throw some together and try it before I decide.  I also have everything I should need to make my own platform shoes, so that's my current backup plan.

The mental images this conjures is just priceless. :) Either way, I'm sure you'll make them look fantastic. 

22 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

It was supposed to be a "I did it and so can you!" post, but I think the guy forgot that his full-time job is owning a gym and managing a fitness site, while mine involves sitting at a desk for ~9hrs a day. :playful:  That said, I really should dedicate more time to exercise and less to things like phone games.  I'm sure that would significantly improve my progress.

That makes much more sense. Yeah, it would be nice to have a more active job during the day, but it seems like, unless you're in the big leagues, you get paid much better for sitting on your butt than being up and moving. I've found that not bringing the phone into the bathroom boosted my productivity quite a bit, as well as setting aside specific times of the day to play said silly games. A co-worker sent me this article about tech addiction, and it really hit home (I also noted that NF bears many of the same "addictive" earmarks, but justify that by pointing out it improves health...). 

Sounds like you're definitely getting your workouts in, albeit in unconventional ways. Good luck with the bars and weights. 

Did a slightly more thorough job with the digitigrade stilts, and while they still need the leg braces to be usable longterm, I was able to walk around a little and get a feel for them.  They definitely won't work for Alphonse, as the angle required to balance throws my knees too far in front of my heel to fit inside his leg armor.  Still working on getting the scaling right before I try building anything else, but that's coming along.  I'm up to my 3rd front view overlay drawing and like it, so now I need to make a side view.  The first try contained a bunch of misread measurements and got thrown out quickly.  The second is a "true to show" scale, based on a couple still frames from the anime.  The third is a slimmed down copy of the second, so he's ONLY 3ft wide at the shoulders and the feet are 8inches wide instead of 12.  I'll post pictures of my drawings as soon as I remember to scan them, to show my design process.

Got all my workouts in last week, but didn't end up moving any rock.  I did get my leafblower back this weekend though, so I can clean the pile of rock ahead of time, instead of trying to pick the leaves out as I go.  That should remove my major excuse for not wanting to work on it last week. :playful:

No workout yesterday, as I was recovering from a BBQ that turned into a party on Saturday.  And we're looking at 4-6hrs of thunderstorms this afternoon, so I doubt I'll be getting in a run today.  I've got all my stuff, if things clear up in time, but I'm currently expecting to work late (instead of dealing with the idiots who can't drive in rain) and doing a GtG workout when I get home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

The third is a slimmed down copy of the second, so he's ONLY 3ft wide at the shoulders and the feet are 8inches wide instead of 12.  I'll post pictures of my drawings as soon as I remember to scan them, to show my design process.

"Only." Good luck with the thunderstorms, both in working out and in avoiding "Instant Idiot: Just add water" drivers. 

• Like 1

In the interest of updating before I completely forget everything, I'm going to quit waiting on pictures and just use my words.

Got all of my workouts in last week, and while my latest dinner experiment failed (crockpot pulled pork with frozen veggies; not sure I used too little seasoning, or it was just doomed to failure from the beginning, but it had no flavor to speak of and I ended up throwing out half of it), I seem to have cut ~1/2 an inch off my waist in the past two weeks.  Still just over 31in (trying to get back under 30in), but I'm headed back in the right direction.

Ordered a bunch of stuff for costumes, half of which shows up today, so I'll be organizing and planning out Alphonse most of this week.  Finally got the last of the river rock out of my driveway, then had to spend a couple hours redistributing to get full coverage.  I'm putting the "garage side" stuff on hold, since I'll have to order more rock for it and I have more pressing projects right now.  I spent most of the weekend removing one of the small trees in my backyard and getting everything out to the curb for pickup (which was a great workout) and making curtains for my bedroom to match the new paint.

I managed to score tickets to San Diego Comic Con, which brings me up to 3 conventions this summer.  I've also convinced one brother to visit (so we can make his costumes for Dragoncon); mostly talked a friend, who may as well be a brother, to bring his family to visit; and want to meet my other brother in Europe (maybe a cruise, maybe a train tour, maybe pick a city/country) for his vacation.  Oh, and work may send me to Norway at some point for a conference.  So my schedule has become surprisingly full, but I'm looking forward to it.

And in exciting news, I've apparently worked through enough of my social and emotional issues to be (mostly) comfortable asking a girl out for the first time in four years.  I got a "I'd like to, but I'm really busy; do you mind waiting?" response.  We're tentatively scheduled for dinner next week, but I may have to wait until next month.  Or she may decide she needs a break this week and feels like putting up with me. :playful:  We've talked at group get-togethers a couple times already, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 3

Jeez. You're not joking when you said you hauled the whole tree out front. The river rock looks nice (and also like a lot of work!), and it sounds like you've got your plate pretty full for the summer, between cons, traveling, and possibly social plans. How tiring is it to walk in the digitigrade stilts? It looks like it'd be heck on the knees and quads after a bit. Looking forward to seeing how your costumes progress!

My caption for the tree picture was going to be: "I'm not sure if I'm an adult, or a child who's allowed power tools unsupervised."  Then I remembered that I don't care about social media.  :playful:  There are two more (slightly larger) trees in the backyard that I'm debating trying to remove myself.  Plus six large ones that I'll be paying someone to deal with once my tax refund goes through.

The stilts are almost impossible to walk in currently, as it requires a lot of foot and calf strength to stay balanced at that angle.  All of the how-to's I've found include some sort of leg brace with an extra "achilles tendon" so your quads can help.  I'll be incorporating similar before I try using them on a costume.  But since I don't need them for this year, that's getting put on hold.

Got the new curtains hung yesterday, but I still need to clean up the drywall dust before I take pictures to show them off.  I should have everything I need to start building Alphonse, as soon as I finish the scaling.  Though I may just start building and figure that out piece by piece as I go.

• Like 1

34044900846_b1cf81f7d4_o.jpg

Found a pepakura pattern for Al's armor while looking up more reference pics, so I just have to scale it to the size I want and convert to foam.  The forearms took about a day and a half, so far.  They still need to be shaped, patched, sanded, filled, sanded, touched up, sanded, and painted, but I think I want to get the rest of the armor assembled so I can figure out how I'm going to attach, wear, and transport it all. :playful:  I also have to figure out hands and feet, since those aren't included in the pattern.

Still a productive weekend though.  (Not pictured: another tree is down, and mostly moved to the curb for pickup.  Planning to finish that tomorrow.)

Managed to get dinner scheduled for Tuesday, before she goes out of town for a week.  We've been talking/texting some, and so far none of my jokes have made her call things off. :playful:  She's even responded in kind to a couple, which I think is a good sign.  At this point, I'm mostly just trying not to overthink things, as my job (weapon testing) has programmed me to constantly look for what could go wrong with any plan.

• Like 2

I've been putting off my end of challenge wrap-up out of laziness, but I'm sick of working on these test reports. :playful:

The date went well.  Dinner ended up being ~3hrs while we sat and talked, which was fun.  I surprised her by bringing flowers (old school FTW) and impressed the wait staff with my shirt and vest.  Best of all, she continued the conversation by text the next day, so I think I did something right. :friendly_wink:  She's currently at a weekend-long concert with the friends who introduced us, so I'm waiting until they get back to ask about a second date.  She has another trip shortly after, so I doubt she'll have time.  But we've both RSVPed to a Cinco de Mayo party, so worst case, we can figure something out then.  Assuming she hasn't come to her senses.

In less interesting news (for me), my challenge went really well:

Run 3/week - I managed this pretty easily.  Some of the runs sucked (especially yesterday in 85F with ~80% humidity :beaten:), but I did them.

GtG training 5/week - This plan worked really well with my current schedule and it feels good to be working out regularly.  I probably need to come up with a better schedule than "what do I feel like doing right now," but that's a problem for later.  My biggest warning for anyone else considering this plan is that 5 training days a week is a LOT, and even when its just a bunch of light sets, it gets exhausting.  My muscles are randomly sore/stiff, just enough to be uncomfortable.  I should probably program in some more stretching to counter that.

Watch what I eat - This one was rough at the beginning, but I'm starting to fall into the habit again.  My waist is down ~1/2in over the past 2-3 weeks and I seem to be maintaining that trend, so I'll stick with this for a while longer.  Dishes continue to be my downfall.  I currently have a kitchen full of dirty ones, but fortunately, there are two more days of leftovers before I have to cook again.

Projects - I'm pretty sure my project list got longer over the past month, but I'm making progress on all the ones I currently care about.  My new chainsaw isn't as nice as I had expected, so tree removal is taking longer than I'd like (the electric batteries don't last as long as advertised and take a lot longer to charge), but it is coming along.  We've got a general concensus on just buying the FMA uniforms, so I don't need to make a pattern anymore.  And Alphonse is in the works, I've got the shins 90% assembled and the pattern for the rest of the arms printed.  I'm debating if I want to build the full pattern before starting on the pieces I need to design (hands, feet, and internal frame), or try to start building those into the existing pattern as I go.  I already know the pattern I found is going to need some modifications to meet my needs, so I just have to decide how much I need assembled and what I need in pieces for the required changes.  Problems like this are why I enjoy being an engineer though. :friendly_wink:

• Like 2

Grats on the workout and measurements improvement, and on finding someone who'll take your jokes and dish them back out again. Looks like you've got a good start on the Alphonse costume, looking forward to seeing that continue. As always, thank you for the mini, and the upcoming one as well. Keep up the good work(outs) and good luck on the dishes. :) See you in the next go 'round.