ixaera gets swhole 30~

freck

1 hour ago, ixaera said:

I intend to poke around the farmer's market and see if I can find another besides figs with no added sugar. They regularly have dried cranberries but they sweeten them :/ And I tend to like apples but not dried apples. Here's hoping~

No big either way I should probably work on cutting overall sugar more as it is.

I tried to avoid snacking while doing my whole30 but you know how it goes. Unsweetened coconut flakes, unsweetened dried mangos (can be hard to find, like all unsweetened dried fruit) and Artisan Tropic Naturally Sweet Plantain Chips were my savors! The plantain chips are the best I've tasted and they come in cinnamon, sea salt and naturally sweet. 

Edit : Just checked online and they now come in Cayenne Pepper as well!

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

36 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I tried to avoid snacking while doing my whole30 but you know how it goes. Unsweetened coconut flakes, unsweetened dried mangos (can be hard to find, like all unsweetened dried fruit) and Artisan Tropic Naturally Sweet Plantain Chips were my savors! The plantain chips are the best I've tasted and they come in cinnamon, sea salt and naturally sweet. 

Edit : Just checked online and they now come in Cayenne Pepper as well!

I am definitely kind of learning as I go, and I find it LESS difficult to adhere to (especially knowing it's not permanent) but MORE difficult to eat things that aren't just sugar fillers. Today is a test of my 1 larabar a day rule, and if I pass I'm probably good from here on out. I think I might end up doing a 4 meal + 1 snack set up for the remainder since that seems to be how I'm wanting to eat and I just keep screwing it up with All The Figs

TAKE OFF EVERY FIG

FOR GREAT JUSTICE

I gotta see if my shoppin' places have those plaintain chips. I LOVE plaintain chips, but I have gotten the salty kind in the past and I binged on 'em just a little... so maybe I should not. (I have a problem, ok!)

I do like banana blended with coconut milk but don't LOVE it so that might be a good filler that I won't go nuts on.

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

week 1.4

Whole 30 observed

Cals: 1221

Protein: 97g 

Lifts: 

N/A 

Back rehab: One set done (still prioritizing sleep, not sure I don't want to)

Steps: 8428

Write things: Writing happened

Whole 30: 11/30

Cals: 1349 | 1479

Protein: 4/7 | 3/7

Lifts: 3/3 | 1/3

Back rehab: 10/14 | 6/14

Steps: 7779/7000 | 8507/7000

Imagine things: 1/2 | 0/2

Write things: 3/7 | 4/7

LET me tell you about a chicken recipe I winged. I wanted something like a peanut chicken, of course cannot have peanuts (don't even really like peanuts that much but I do love pad thai and peanut sauce). So I decide to do a sort of sunbutter chicken thing. SO GOOD omg. I love when random kitchen experiments turn out well!

Social interaction invitations are abnormally high. A new challenger has appeared! This time, instead of a few hours at a pub not drinking, it will be a whole weekend out of town playing board games and somehow not drinking and somehow eating food. I swear this much fun never happens when I'm NOT on whole 30. sigh

• Like 6

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

3 minutes ago, ixaera said:

Social interaction invitations are abnormally high. A new challenger has appeared! This time, instead of a few hours at a pub not drinking, it will be a whole weekend out of town playing board games and somehow not drinking and somehow eating food. I swear this much fun never happens when I'm NOT on whole 30. sigh

I have this idea for people with socialization goals. Declare publicly you're doing a Whole 30. And then wait for long lost friends/family to contact you to hang out.

• Like 7

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

4 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I have this idea for people with socialization goals. Declare publicly you're doing a Whole 30. And then wait for long lost friends/family to contact you to hang out.

99% chance of success, given my recent experience.

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

9 hours ago, ixaera said:

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

9 hours ago, ixaera said:

99% chance of success, given my recent experience.

Gah, now I know why book clubs and gym friends didn't work out for meeting people. I should have done a Whole 30 instead! 

• Like 5

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Gah, now I know why book clubs and gym friends didn't work out for meeting people. I should have done a Whole 30 instead! 

Guaranteed results!!

1 hour ago, Koaladle said:

Sunday will mark a week and a half of non-stop social engagements, so I shudder to think of my schedule if I were to go Whole 30. 

GIF-1.gif

I don't think I could cope with that, what are you, some kind of...

EXTROVERT????

j/k ;)

SIGH YOU GUYS

MY BACK

I woke up and it was kinda jacked up and I might cancel the weekend thing because of it (I can't imagine 2 hours in a car is a great idea, but if it improves even a little I might still go)

I still did bench, but I ditched shoulder presses today just to be safe. I don't even know wtf, I guess maybe I slept funny?

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

7 hours ago, ixaera said:

I still did bench, but I ditched shoulder presses today just to be safe. I don't even know wtf, I guess maybe I slept funny?

You know hurting yourself in your sleep is the first sign of impending old age, right?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ixaera said:

Guaranteed results!!

I don't think I could cope with that, what are you, some kind of...

EXTROVERT????

Not so much anymore, actually. My husband's friend came into town, and now my childhood friend is coming into town. Unusual timing, that's all (this does not include additional gym dates 3-4 times per week) (we are happy to see our friends but also very, very tired).

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Koaladle said:

(we are happy to see our friends but also very, very tired).

This is usually how I feel too when friends come to town.  Once a year, usually in the summer (because we live at the beach) we'll have a Beach Weekend where 3-6 outlying friends all come to stay with us and beachtime and food and play video games and watch bad movies.  I love it lots but boy howdy are my Social Batteries like AAAAA sized because it tires me out fast.

Ix I too L O V E figs and dates... especially figs.  Ugh.  I have a recipe for bacon fig jam that we put on sandwiches - waffles - crackers with cheese - ok just my face - and it's just... gdshkgfhdsk.  The sweetness is delectable.  Stuff like that and dried fruit (gosh i love banana slices) is so tricky Because "Healthy" but also there's a fine line with how much you can really enjoy?  Bleehhh.

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

1 hour ago, shaar said:

This is usually how I feel too when friends come to town.  Once a year, usually in the summer (because we live at the beach) we'll have a Beach Weekend where 3-6 outlying friends all come to stay with us and beachtime and food and play video games and watch bad movies.  I love it lots but boy howdy are my Social Batteries like AAAAA sized because it tires me out fast.

Ix I too L O V E figs and dates... especially figs.  Ugh.  I have a recipe for bacon fig jam that we put on sandwiches - waffles - crackers with cheese - ok just my face - and it's just... gdshkgfhdsk.  The sweetness is delectable.  Stuff like that and dried fruit (gosh i love banana slices) is so tricky Because "Healthy" but also there's a fine line with how much you can really enjoy?  Bleehhh.

Me before friends come to town: OH YAY AWESOME HOORAYYY SO MUCH FUN
Me as friends are arriving: oh no I have to remember how to social

Me as friends are leaving: no more people ever okay

I love my friends but good lord I do not like socializing. (100% sure this is why I drink at social situations, to excess at times, and this is totally why I was so amazed and happy when just buckets of iced unsweet tea did the trick.)

FIGS FIGS FIGS FIGS FIGS *waves tiny fig flag*

As for "healthy" I mean obviously going a whole day eating nothing but 12 apples isn't healthy, but the apple itself isn't the problem there. Ditto with figs XD This is where Whole 30 makes its money grab--the rules are missing the meal plan aspect of "healthy" and you can totally follow Whole 30, even by the recommended rules, and gain weight or be unhealthy. (I could eat nothing but figs. Yum.)

• Like 2

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

week 1.5

Whole 30 observed

Cals: 1372

Protein: 106g 

Lifts: 

Bench press

1x3 45 lbs

1x3 55 lbs

1x3 65 lbs

1x3 75 lbs <-- this was supposed to be a single but I guess my brain was stuck on triples

5x3 88 lbs

Felt strong, went well. Had the safeties this time so I could use my normal grip. 

T-Bar Row

5x3 65 lbs

Bumped the weight up extra because it has been so easy and I knew I had this in me.

Wide-grip lat pulldowns

1x5 80 lbs

4x6 80 lbs

Form kinda bad, had trouble controlling the handles on the way up, nearly flew up with it myself

Cable tricep pushdowns

3x11 43 lbs

DB Preacher curls

3x5 30 lbs

Skipped shoulder presses because I woke up with a very complainy back. 

Back rehab: Two sets done

Steps: 3813

Write things: Got caught up in random things and forgot

Whole 30: 12/30

Cals: 1349 | 1479

Protein: 4/7 | 4/7

Lifts: 3/3 | 2/3

Back rehab: 10/14 | 8/14

Steps: 7779/7000 | 7591/7000

Imagine things: 1/2 | 0/2

Write things: 3/7 | 4/7

Back didn't get better all day, took a muscle relaxer before sleep, woke up with some improvements but it's nowhere as good as it was Thursday wtf

I hate this

• Like 3

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

15 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

You know hurting yourself in your sleep is the first sign of impending old age, right?

hahahahahaha

considering I hurt my back 10 days after my 35th birthday it is so fitting, though

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

2 hours ago, ixaera said:

Me before friends come to town: OH YAY AWESOME HOORAYYY SO MUCH FUN
Me as friends are arriving: oh no I have to remember how to social

Me as friends are leaving: no more people ever okay

Dat feel.

I love my friends but good lord I do not like socializing. (100% sure this is why I drink drank at social situations, to excess at times, and this is totally why I was so amazed and happy when just buckets of iced unsweet tea did the trick.)

Dat feel ^2. FIFY. You are STRONGER now. You have goalz. 

• Like 5

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

week 1.6 & 1.7 

Whole 30 observed x2

Cals: 1404 & 1319

Protein: 92g & 98g 

Lifts: 

Leg Day

Leg Curls

5x11 45 lbs

Banded Lateral Walks (green band)

5x10 steps each side

Leg Extensions

4x9 45 lbs

1x12 45 lbs

Pallof Press (red band

5x10secs each side

Bulgarian Split Squats

2x8 bodyweight

1x8 20lbs (oooo gettin risque up in here)

(Note: Back went from awesome to crappy to pretty good again rapidly, and I figure I do 20+ lbs compression for an exercise (sometimes two) on the regular and even if it isn't super duper challenging, I figure it's still better than bodyweight, so I might do this more regularly soon.)

And now it's deload week, which I'm going to use to entirely take a break from the lifting gym (but still do abs and stuff at home alone with back rehab of course, and walking)

Back rehab: Two sets done x2

Steps: 8216 & 5255

Write things: Brainstormed new ideas and also wrote on my short story, and brainstormed more about where that's going. Lots done.

Whole 30: 14/30 

Cals: 1349 | 1430

Protein: 4/7 | 5/7

Lifts: 3/3 | 3/3

Back rehab: 10/14 | 10/14

Steps: 7779/7000 | 7346/7000

Imagine things: 1/2 | 2/2

Write things: 3/7 | 6/7

Good weekend, even if my plans drastically changed at the last minute. My back made a big recovery today and yesterday of course. OF COURSE. of course it did sigh

I mean, HOORAY for feeling better, seriously, but I can't wait til it stops trolling me

Summary: Did pretty OKAY this week, not ideal. Didn't quite hit my cut max, 30 over on average. Not the end of the world but not the kind of progress I was hoping to make. Protein hack: egg whites, achievement unlocked today, so not quite in time to save my protein score. Could do better on back rehab.

• Like 5

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

10 hours ago, ixaera said:

Bulgarian Split Squats

2x8 bodyweight

1x8 20lbs (oooo gettin risque up in here)

(Note: Back went from awesome to crappy to pretty good again rapidly, and I figure I do 20+ lbs compression for an exercise (sometimes two) on the regular and even if it isn't super duper challenging, I figure it's still better than bodyweight, so I might do this more regularly soon.)

And now it's deload week, which I'm going to use to entirely take a break from the lifting gym (but still do abs and stuff at home alone with back rehab of course, and walking)

Yay for testing out adding in weight! It sounds like it went okay from what you said later in your post. How is it feeling today? 

I support this deload no lifting ab/PT work week. The lifts will be there waiting for you. Plus your abs need you too. ;) Although, for more than 1 week. But if I recall you normally do them anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Yay for testing out adding in weight! It sounds like it went okay from what you said later in your post. How is it feeling today? 

I support this deload no lifting ab/PT work week. The lifts will be there waiting for you. Plus your abs need you too. ;) Although, for more than 1 week. But if I recall you normally do them anyway. 

While I've been "doing abs" it's not as much as I'd like to be doing, so next challenge "do abs" will likely replace back rehab! (They are kind of back rehab ANYway, and I plan to keep the glute rolling portion of what Airrosti gave me forever because it helps so immensely.) My shoulders have been whining for a deload since week 5 of what I'm doing right now, so I went one more week and decided to let them have it. 

Back feels normal (i.e. not as good as pre-Halloween, but as good as it's felt since), so I don't think I broke it with my short experiment. May do 12 lb dumbbells next time just 'cause, and get tentative when I get to 20 lb dumbbells because that's so far the maximum of what I've loaded on my spine all this time. My legs have minor DOMS, and some in my glutes too. I secretly like DOMS even though I KNOW they don't always mean anything, it just makes me feel like I did Good Work.

• Like 4

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

1 minute ago, ixaera said:

While I've been "doing abs" it's not as much as I'd like to be doing, so next challenge "do abs" will likely replace back rehab! (They are kind of back rehab ANYway, and I plan to keep the glute rolling portion of what Airrosti gave me forever because it helps so immensely.) My shoulders have been whining for a deload since week 5 of what I'm doing right now, so I went one more week and decided to let them have it. 

I definitely need to do more abs too. But I struggle when I add in too many goals at once. This challenge was just 15 min of abs/glutes combined per week. Next challenge might be 15 min of each and then I'll build from there. Whenever I "go big or go home" with either of those I can't maintain the habit. 

2 minutes ago, ixaera said:

My legs have minor DOMS, and some in my glutes too. I secretly like DOMS even though I KNOW they don't always mean anything, it just makes me feel like I did Good Work.

I think most of us secretly like DOMS, at least the non crippling kind. If it keeps me from doing my full workout then I don't like that at all. But I like that gentle reminder that I did Good Work. That's how I've been feeling lately as my body hasn't completely adjusted to the new program and I started hiking regularly. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ixaera said:

While I've been "doing abs" it's not as much as I'd like to be doing, so next challenge "do abs" will likely replace back rehab! (They are kind of back rehab ANYway, and I plan to keep the glute rolling portion of what Airrosti gave me forever because it helps so immensely.) 

I had to start doing things I skip at the beginning of my work out to insure that I did them.  This includes core.  Never been happier.  

2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think most of us secretly like DOMS, at least the non crippling kind. If it keeps me from doing my full workout then I don't like that at all. But I like that gentle reminder that I did Good Work. That's how I've been feeling lately as my body hasn't completely adjusted to the new program and I started hiking regularly. 

I miss DOMS,  I feel like I never work out hard enough cause I don't get them.

Image result for lonely

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

On 3/25/2017 at 8:26 AM, ixaera said:

hahahahahaha

considering I hurt my back 10 days after my 35th birthday it is so fitting, though

I turn 35 this year. Please stop.

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

It's not really a secret at this point.

Know these feels, I hardly ever get them

Try an exercise that targets muscles differently?

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

19 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Try an exercise that targets muscles differently?

It helps me get DOMS, but I don't like to swap out accessories willy nilly for the sake of DOMS alone. I change out accessories and change up grip every 7 weeks or so, sometimes it results in new DOMS, sometimes it does not. I really only change them out to stave off boredom and nudge along adaptation a little bit :) Although I have fewer options currently since I'm still avoiding a lot that involves hip hinges or spinal compression. I think I only got DOMS this time because I did an AMRAP on leg extensions on the final set. Can't explain the glute ones, I didn't do anything new there (hey maybe 20 extra lbs on one set of split squats was enough? lol)

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

2 minutes ago, ixaera said:

It helps me get DOMS, but I don't like to swap out accessories willy nilly for the sake of DOMS alone. I change out accessories and change up grip every 7 weeks or so, sometimes it results in new DOMS, sometimes it does not. I really only change them out to stave off boredom and nudge along adaptation a little bit :) Although I have fewer options currently since I'm still avoiding a lot that involves hip hinges or spinal compression. I think I only got DOMS this time because I did an AMRAP on leg extensions on the final set. Can't explain the glute ones, I didn't do anything new there (hey maybe 20 extra lbs on one set of split squats was enough? lol)

DOMS is merely a happy bonus to change.

extra 20lbs could do it if you had trouble finishing. How are you doing split squats if you're avoiding hip hinge exrcises? Also if you can do those, try weighted step ups. They beat the hell out of my quads this morning.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior