MyFitnessPal - is "Premium" worth it?

I've had a look through a few sections of the forum and haven't been able find one about this - if there is please link me!

I have started using MFP in the last week or so. There are a few things about it that I find restrictive and clunky. Looking for advice from people who have paid for the Premium version. Is the difference worth the money? 

I really like statistics and find it frustrating that I cannot play with the exact numbers in my macros and get detailed reports as they are currently locked. 

Appreciate any advice on making the most of the free tools as well!

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

I've never tried premium but I've used the free version fairly extensively, and I find that a lot of the pre-loaded nutrition facts you get when you use the barcode scanner come up just plain wrong.

I don't have a better alternative and if you're ambitious enough to enter your own corrections, great, but just a heads-up. If you're looking to analyze exact statistics this might not be the app for you.

1 hour ago, calanthrophy said:

I've never tried premium but I've used the free version fairly extensively, and I find that a lot of the pre-loaded nutrition facts you get when you use the barcode scanner come up just plain wrong.

I don't have a better alternative and if you're ambitious enough to enter your own corrections, great, but just a heads-up. If you're looking to analyze exact statistics this might not be the app for you.

I haven't found that to be the case often, but really, the barcode scanner is the shortcut to end all shortcuts. If you have a barcode, you have the label too, I don't find it much of a hassle to run a search for a correct entry.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:55 PM, EmeraldEagle said:

I've had a look through a few sections of the forum and haven't been able find one about this - if there is please link me!

I have started using MFP in the last week or so. There are a few things about it that I find restrictive and clunky. Looking for advice from people who have paid for the Premium version. Is the difference worth the money? 

I really like statistics and find it frustrating that I cannot play with the exact numbers in my macros and get detailed reports as they are currently locked. 

Appreciate any advice on making the most of the free tools as well!

Yes, setting macros manually was historically one of the most asked-for features in MFP history. That's why when Under Armour bought them, they made sure it went behind a paywall.

I've been tempted by the prospect of the paid version as well. Ultimately I think the cost-benefit ratio isn't great, though. All the essential stuff is right there for free, as a calorie, macro, weight and measurement tracker. And the paid reports don't seem very helpful: I already know the highest-calorie foods I ate, same with the macro reports, you can see those things just by zooming in on days where that intake was high.

Here are a few ways I use the free system to my advantage:

- You can't set exact macro numbers, but you can set percentages in the goals screen. Just play with them until you get the macro numbers you're looking for, or something close to it.

- Weight training tracking for MFP sucks and is wildly inaccurate. However, I use another method for tracking it, stolen from board-veteran Waldo: just track the time you spend working out. If you log strength warmups under cardio as "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate" and the actual strength work as "Calisthenics, vigorous effort", you will get a reliably accurate calorie burn.

- When I'm considering indulging in something that might blow my goals for the day, I first check out my calorie average for the last week in the Nutrition section. If my average is lower than my goal, I know the indulgence won't throw me off track.

- I use the meals system extensively to track daily things like coffee at work or lunches, and the recipes system is flat-out awesome for home-cooked dinner.

- Speaking of the recipes system, it's great for things you make the same way every time in the same ingredient amounts. It starts to break down, though, the more your amounts vary. E.g., one day you may make chicken cutlets with 9oz chicken and 1Tbsp oil in the pan; the next time you might have 15oz chicken and 3T oil, but you still eat the whole thing. I use a little hack to keep things accurate: if, say, I'm making a stir fry, i will log everything that goes into the sauce, but I will log the meat and oil I use for the dish separately each time.

- if you want to see the calorie and macro breakdown of a large meal, but can't because you've already logged other meals for today: copy the meal to tomorrow's diary entry and check it out under Nutrition.

- Keep in mind that weight loss is mostly a game of averages (e.g. your average calorie deficit over time). Individual days are not very important on their own. It's less important that you execute a day perfectly, and more important that you can analyze a whole week's worth of info to see if you're successful overall.

- Folks who love statistics are predisposed to be good at weight loss.

• Like 3

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

I don't use premium, but agreeing with Paul's hack on how to figure calories for  exercising. I do the same thing, per Waldo, and have found it to be very accurate. You will probably look at the numbers and think that is way too much, I know I did. but it is a pretty accurate way of doing things. 

I also do the percentage for macros, and use that for a guideline. Right now I am trying higher carb on workout days, and lower on rest days, so on rest days I just have to remember to it lower than that (or change it for the day) but that isn't something I would pay for.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27