• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

[DarK_RaideR] Road to Glory, Chapter 2: The Mudder and other challenges

379 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

As for doing an OCR together... you know where I stand

Yeah on the other side of Europe, that's our main problem. Though i'm meeting you about halfway next week. :D

3 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That's me every time I look up an international race or Camp NF.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor gif agreeing

Massive Challenge Wrap-up

Nutrition: Batch cook some time during the weekend. Use the Zone Diet guidelines for quantity and ingredients. Prepare my own breakfast and lunch for the five days of the working week. Dinner and weekend food is not tracked, so I get to enjoy something with the SRLF and maintain my social life.

This was pretty ambitious when I set it up, so of course it soon broke down into something SMARTer, basically once again not eating like a dickhead. Can't say it went great because it didn't, but three months later I'm practically at the same weight and clothes size. That and not going overboard means I'm more or less going steady and the lifestyle's working. Considering I've had to deal with a crazy schedule, stress and various life issues, I'm happy this went alright. I still feel heavy and bloated at the gym at times, but that's about it.

Coffee: It's summer so I can't go with hot tea only. Coffee is allowed, but breaking the habit of a morning coffee at work earns me money in savings, as described below.

Yeah that too broke down, along with the whole "saving for a motorbike" plan. Dire financial straights and all that jazz. As far as coffee consumption goes, I'm pretty good at one or maybe two a day.

Workouts: Nothing new here, 3 Crossfit workouts during the week. Things will however get highly competitive due to my new reward system, outlined below.

Again, the reward system didn't roll on, but I kept up with my workouts alright. Not that I'd drop out of Crossfit of course, but the main idea here was to prepare for the Mudder. All the obstacles were dealt with, even the dreaded two that involved grip strength and hanging, so it was practically a success. I do however need to up my game if I'm gonna do the Spartan on November.

Continue Bullet Journalling

I've kept up with BuJo-ing and it helps indeed to organize the chaos that is my life. It's not an instinctive thing yet or hardwired into my brain, but it's useful and I'm glad to still be keeping it up.

Spend at least one hour every day working on my thesis and nothing else. I know there's no room for variance, life events etc because I'm leaving none. If I can't do it, I'll mark it a fail. Zero flexibility means I can't relax and take this easy.

Well, I didn't exactly do this and of course ended up trying to do all the work during the final weeks. Thesis was submitted, presentation went well and I got a 9 out of 10 grade, meaning at the end of the day it's been a success, even if organizationally the whole "spread out the work across a broad time frame" didn't exactly happen.

Purge. I need to clean up my living space. First step is CDs and clothes. Besides purging, I'm looking to sell these in hopes of aiding my financial situation. Thanks to Teros for the inspiration here.

Lot of purging to still be done, but I did sort out my CDs and sell a lot of them. I also gave away plenty of clothes and my old pair of Reebok Nanos. Probably the biggest thing here was giving away the old mattress.

Plumber. Find a damn one that will show up, manage to have enough money and get the damn toilet fixed

This is still a thing and will probably remain a thing, as repairing the broken down washing machine apparently costs too much and I've already fixed it twice in the past. We're looking into buying a new one, so that'll set us back financially a bit.

Tires. Inspired by Rurik, change the ancient tires of my dreadful car before I die in a fiery car crash explosion.

Done and dusted.

This challenge will run from April 3rd until my return from Ireland on July 10th. My aim is to maintain good habits and train for the Ireland Tough Mudder on July 5th, which I'll be running with fellow nerds @Jarric and @Miw_Sher. Other than that, I'll be looking to compete in any events or crossfit competitions that come up, namely Compete Live Athens if it happens during that time.

Made it to Ireland and through the Mudder, even though Miw_Sher sadly never joined us. As for Compete Live Athens, I decided to volunteer instead in order to protect my knee. From what I saw of the judging, maybe I should have competed, but hindsight is always 20/20

Overall a decent challenge, ending with a great race at the Tough Mudder. Feels more like a maintenance/survival mode thing than actual progress, but I'll take it.

5 people like this

49 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Thesis was submitted, presentation went well and I got a 9 out of 10 grade, meaning at the end of the day it's been a success

Great! I was wondering how the thesis went

1 person likes this