• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lightning

Lightning's quest to be BatGirl

I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, wanted to be Batgirl.  Not just any Batgirl, but 1960's Barbara Gordon librarian-by-day and badass-by-night Batgirl. 

giphy+%252834%2529.gif

I used to watch re-runs of the old Batman show when I was little and found a hero in Batgirl.  I would ride my bike around the neighborhood pretending it was a batcycle and I was catching bad guys. 

big-heroes-on-the-small-screen-part-one-

So, I'm calling upon this dream to be my motivation for the challenge.  

Goal # 1:

Get a part-time job as a Library Assistant.  

5bc3ef1040e44d5c64e5300d381b9b73.jpg

I have an interview this week for a library assistant job and an application out for a similar position.  If I don't get either of these jobs I will continue to track openings and apply for any that fit my schedule and skills.  In the meantime... I'm getting ready to start a new freelance business as a writer and transcriptionist.  I have a little work lined up and am just waiting for the library interview before I move forward.  Either way, I will be adding 15-20 hours of work per week to my challenge.

A+ = 20 hours a week of work including time spent applying for work/freelance opportunities

Goal # 2:

Boff! Thwack!

giphy.gif

I've come up with a schedule that will allow me to fit in 4 workouts a week. I'm going to use Startbodyweight.com for most of my workouts; adding in kettlebell deadlifts with each strength session. I can always sub-in 100 KB swings and 3 sets of TGU's if I want to.  

3 strength workouts & 1 anything goes exercise option

Goal # 3:

Rock the unitard!

Yvonne_Craig_Batgirl.jpg

Batgirl's outfit leaves little to the imagination.  If I'm going to rock the unitard I have to eat and drink like a crime fighter. So, I'm going to follow Primal/Banting with a focus on no sugar and no grains.

6 days a week: No grains and No sugar

7 days a week: 4 cups of Not Coffee

1 Food Prep day a week

• Like 9

Well, I did NOT rock the interview.  I got a sinking feeling about 2/3 of the way through.  I didn't do anything wrong I just think that my approach was off.  I also think that my strengths were not necessarily the ones they are looking for in an assistant.  Anyway, I'll know for sure in a week or two.  For now I'll have to focus on the freelance work and hope I'm wrong about the interview.  I have another application out as well.

• Like 3

I commented on another post today about the 1960s batman series. *sigh* batgirl was my hero growing up for that reason exactly :)
Really loving your goals ^_^ And of course, your inspiration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Well, I did NOT rock the interview.  I got a sinking feeling about 2/3 of the way through.  I didn't do anything wrong I just think that my approach was off.  I also think that my strengths were not necessarily the ones they are looking for in an assistant.  Anyway, I'll know for sure in a week or two.  For now I'll have to focus on the freelance work and hope I'm wrong about the interview.  I have another application out as well.

Doesnt matter if you didnt rock.   If it doesn't work you try again, If that doesn't work you try one more time. As long you dont give up it will be yours and batgirl dont give up :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Lightning said:

You can do this! 

Chin up, you can do this and it was only the first one. If your strengths aren't maybe the best match for them, maybe they aren't the best match for you either and it will be better to go elsewhere. ... if your impression was right that is, maybe they perceived you totally different? It happens.

Love how you can focus on other applications and your freelance work for now as it will take the narrow pressure off that our minds often like to put on stuff like that :) Keep standing tall and moving forward, it's an awesome goal you got there and you are everything you need already.

• Like 4

On 16/03/2017 at 3:22 PM, Lightning said:

It took me seven interviews for the same library service before I finally got my first library assistant position. Every interview you fail makes you better, honest!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

It took me seven interviews for the same library service before I finally got my first library assistant position. Every interview you fail makes you better, honest!

Thanks!  I've gone over the interview in my head and I do think I will do better next time. I have an interview tomorrow with a different library in the same library system. I have a better idea of what to expect this time. It's just wild that I have to interview with 3 people to get a low paying part time job. But, I suppose the demand is there.

• Like 4

Decided to start my challenge on a Monday. I did complete my food prep for the week yesterday and put together a bullet journal page for this week.  I'll post the page later today.

I finished my workout this morning and realized how quickly a body can get mushy. :) I haven't been to kind to myself over the last two and half weeks. Unfortunately, I am starting this challenge with a birthday party this afternoon. There will be a lot of unhealthy food but, I'm not going to give in on Day 1. I've been reminding myself that there won't be anything there that I couldn't buy or make another time. 

• Like 6

Day 1 Update:

Librarian:

I have an interview today for a Circulation Assistant at a small library. I spent some time working through some interview answers and learning about this particular library. I also spent some time loading the e-book software they use because the last interview had a lot of questions about e-books and technology. I also spent about an hour doing some web-review work for my new freelance job. I wanted to do more but the software kicks me out when it thinks I'm doing my reviews too quickly. Kind of frustrating since I get paid by the review not by the hour or word. 

Crime Fighter:

Did a bodyweight workout yesterday.  I am lacking my usual motivation to exercise but I'm going to fake-it-till-I-make-it.

Push Ups: 6/6/6

Chin Ups: 2/2/3 (think I'll change this and do 10 reps even if I need a long rest in between reps)

Split Squats: 6/6/6

Deadlifts: (44#) 5/6/7 (I need to stretch more or warm up before I do these)

Pike Push Ups: 6/6/6

Planks: 45x3 (left side, right side, and elbow plank)

Purple Leotard:

I think I'm going to add a goal of eating vegetables 4x a day. Since I'm not tracking macros I need something that will help me keep calories down. 

Water/tea: 4 cups

No Sugar: Yes

No Grains: Yes

The birthday party yesterday had a ridiculous amount of junk food. Not to sound like a jerk but, watching people stuff themselves will all of that crap actually helped me stay away. My homeschool friends are not the healthiest people and always find a way to include cookies or cake into our get-togethers. This time it WAS a party but, the amount to junk food was truly insane. I spent most of the party playing games and doing things to keep myself away from the food.

• Like 9

Love your theme and your Bullet Journaling :) Following! 

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

I am lacking my usual motivation to exercise but I'm going to fake-it-till-I-make-it.

And that is the discipline that will help you meet your goals, keep going even when its hard, you've got this Batgirl!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lilmissbri said:

I am mad jelly of your journaling skills. Mine never look that good. :o)

Seconded! That looks fantastic. I feel excited if I manage to use a colored pencil.  

Also, congrats on avoiding all that junk food and being able to turn it from self-deprivation into motivation. 

• Like 2

Woot for avoiding all the junk food. Great idea on the chin ups to give yourself a longer rest so that you can do 10. That's a good way to increase your strength gains.

• Like 2