Hi all, I'm Elliott, back at it again with the white Vans. Or at least, some kinda shoe. 

I'm back after a looooong hiatus. I messed up my leg and lower back in a major way with disc herniation, nerve damage, and what seems to be muscular atrophy back in November 2015, and I'm now to a point where I can walk relatively reliably again. I managed to recover without surgery, which wasn't exactly my idea, but my doctor and I got to a point where surgery actually increased the likelihood of further injury. Anyway, long story aside, I'm here, have frequent numbness in my leg, and am working on getting to a point where I can eventually do all the things again. That, in essence, is my epic quest. 

So, to help myself succeed, I've enlisted a partner in crime - my husband, actually. His work has given him a free membership to the gym and includes me on it, so we're heading into this together. Paired with his fear of mortality, we've got ourselves some good motivation to work on our physical health. 

Some tactics we're using:

1) Better diet. We've increased veggie intake and are slowly weaning ourselves off of meat proteins (because we're broke all the time and meat is expensive here). We're also reducing reliance on simple carbs. I strive to make a balanced breakfast for the two of us most work days, and I'm continually trying to convince him to bring something for lunch (that's a hard sell, though, because apparently his company sucks and doesn't have a break area or real place to like, hang and eat.)

2) Lots more water. We've taken to drinking from half-gallon juice jugs and it helps keep us hydrated. I prefer to drink with Crystal Light packets, since they have like, 0 calories and a low hit on nutritional values, but I'm trying to drink more water plain through the day. I have a problem not hydrating enough, and it gets the better of me. 

3) Better sleep. I'm a horrid sleeper, whereas he hits the pillow and immediately drifts off. I'm jealous. Over the last month or two I've taken to trying to go to bed when he does, around 10, so that I can try to wake up and make us breakfast in the morning. 

That's just a few things we've started working on, and I'm happy and cautiously hopeful about moving forward. I took my starting weight at the gym yesterday, so that I at least have some numbers to go by, but I'm hoping to get measurements taken for a more thorough analysis of my progress. I also have to find another physical therapist if I really want to get anywhere, since my last appointment was in August. Ugh. I hate the American health care system, lemme tell ya. 

Well, here I am. Gonna try not to drift out aimlessly like Jubal Early, and finally get to a point where I'm happy on my path. 

Here goes! Here's my battle loghttps://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/96196-doing-the-thing/

Aaaand here's my character sheet:  https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/180689  

Elliott - Alaskan Half-Orc, working toward benevolent polymorph spell |  Aspiring Warrior - Ranger

Level 1 Newb: STR 1 - DEX 1 - STA 1 - CON 1 - WIS 1 - CHA 1

Serenity and change, one day at a time.