Springtime for SnowOwl

SnowOwl

12 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

Sunday was a resting day. I should have done some yoga at least, but I went to snuggle my friend's new puppy instead - so cute!!! 

D'aw! Playing with a new puppy definitely counts as exercise. :D Good luck with the job interview; I'm sure you'll nail it but it always pays to be prepared.

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I'm sure you'll nail it

I'm not sure how it went. It's odd to interview for a job you are already in and with people who already know you (they were required to ask me the same questions as the other applicants). One of the interviewers (a coworker I really like) actually started to fall asleep while I was answering a question - seriously, eyes rolled back in his head, lol...I'm taking this as a good sign that he felt the interview was unnecessary and wants me to get rehired (because obviously must keep a positive attitude). It was so hard to answer the questions and stay focused knowing that most of the interviewers already know what I do - like what my schedule "might" be like if I am hired. My favorite question though was how would I explain this math concept to a student who is confused and it was the exact skill I taught this morning! (and thanks to my be a better teacher goal, I taught it well this morning with a hands on activity). They also asked me where I plan to be in 5 years. I said hopefully right here still teaching 5/6, but otherwise, I guess sleeping in? 

My quests are off again. I'm going to try not to let parent conferences (starting at 7:15am tomorrow!) be an excuse for slacking off the rest of the week. The interview was a necessary disruption, conferences would be an excuse. And I need to finish this week strong as next week is spring break and I will be away all week. So tomorrow I need to run, unless it's raining hard, then I can sub in BBWW.

Quest #1: Be kinder to my teaching coach.

Did I do something kind or inclusive for her today?

Yes. We fixed some assessment reports together, she gave a few of my kids make-up tests, and then she was part of my interview committee this afternoon. I think our interactions all went well today. I’m not feeling threatened by her helping at all anymore. I’m just glad for the help!

Quest #2: Be more helpful to my husband.

Did I complete a task today that he would have had to do or did I do something special for him?

Yes, I helped him with dinner, cleaned up after dinner, and gave him space as he needed quiet alone time this evening.

Quest #3: Take care of myself. (run, walk, BBWW)

Did I follow the plan? 

No. I took a very short walk with my dog when I got home though! This is something I need to start doing every afternoon to take better care of my sweet boy.

Quest #4: Be a better teacher.

Did I follow the schedule? prepare good lessons for tomorrow? prep my room? complete grading before bed?

Yes. Lessons for tomorrow - whole school movie day, then early release fro conferences! (plus a few short lessons mixed in); my room looks pretty good, but my desk needs work while the kids are at the movie; no grading today - end of term! :D

• Like 5

Race: Elf   ~   Class: Druid Apprentice   ~   Level: 12

Current Challenge

2015-2016 Challenges: OneTwo, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve

2018-2019 Challenges: (first one in progress)

15 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

One of the interviewers (a coworker I really like) actually started to fall asleep while I was answering a question - seriously, eyes rolled back in his head, lol...I'm taking this as a good sign that he felt the interview was unnecessary and wants me to get rehired (because obviously must keep a positive attitude). It was so hard to answer the questions and stay focused knowing that most of the interviewers already know what I do - like what my schedule "might" be like if I am hired. My favorite question though was how would I explain this math concept to a student who is confused and it was the exact skill I taught this morning! (and thanks to my be a better teacher goal, I taught it well this morning with a hands on activity). They also asked me where I plan to be in 5 years. I said hopefully right here still teaching 5/6, but otherwise, I guess sleeping in? 

Sounds like an awkward situation all-around. I would agree that the person started falling asleep is a good sign. If they wanted you to leave, they'd have been nit-picking your answers apart. I'm right there with you on the wanting to sleep in in 5 years though. :) 

Looks like you're giving your challenge a pretty good go. Hopefully the weather stays nice and you can get some walking time with the puppy. Week's halfway done, you've got this!

• Like 1

Wednesday - All quests went ok, but I was tired and went to bed without updating. Did some very basic BW exercises.

Thursday: I was trying not to let conferences derail me, but then shark week snuck up on me and that combo may be more than I can battle right now. I'm also behind on everyone else's threads...hoping I can catch up tomorrow night. 

Yes. She came in and went over some terms I used in my interview that weren’t the exact ones I should be using when discussing education - such as “word calling” instead of whatever I said about students reading fluently but without comprehension and math strand instead of math topic, because apparently topic is only used in Language Arts settings. I behaved like a good interested student.

Did I complete a task today that he would have had to do or did I do something special for him?

Yes, I helped with dinner and I stopped what I was doing to be an attentive listener when he needed to talk about his day. 

Did I follow the plan? 

Good enough - I took my dog for a nice walk when I got home. Cramps are a legitimate excuse for me to alter the plan.

Did I follow the schedule? prepare good lessons for tomorrow? prep my room? complete grading before bed?

Yes. Lessons ready; my desk was looking good, but chaos attacked it the past couple of days - must fight back before I leave for break tomorrow afternoon; no grading today!

• Like 5

Current Challenge

2015-2016 Challenges: OneTwo, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve

Friday - finished parent teacher conferences! Quests went ok, no fitness though. Guests arrived next door so we spent the afternoon visiting and catching up.

Saturday - rough day, but both my husband and I both survived and got the car all packed

Sunday - Leaving early for Eastern Oregon. I'll check back in when we get back next weekend. Have a great week everyone!

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Just got back this evening (Thursday). I hiked everyday, so vacation goals met!

Tomorrow I'm heading back to school to work in my classroom and get things ready for the kids' return on Monday.

I'll resume my regular quests on Monday.

This is my dog trying to blend in, so much dirt!

IMG_3082.jpg

The view from our first camping spot.

IMG_3072.jpg

Hike up from first camping spot.

IMG_3079.jpg

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Monday - Such a long busy day! We got new chromebooks today so I had to get all the old computers packed up and plug-in all the new ones. Now I have to re-plan my day tomorrow as they can’t use the computers until after we have some practice on how to properly care for them and I type in the wi-fi password for each one. I’m too tired to think about it tonight though.

Yes. She looked stressed out today and I asked her how she was doing and if things were going ok. She helped me unpack the new computers too.

Yes. I cleared the table after dinner and I let him stream his show even though I have things I need to get done online.

Did I follow the plan? 

No. But I did a 5 mile hike yesterday so I’m good with today being a rest day. Tomorrow I need to do a pull-ups session. Wednesday I am planning on making myself go back to yoga class…

Yes. Lessons (were) ready; my desk is looking ok; my room is ready; grading done.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Tuesday - still so tired. I did not sleep well last night. I’m extremely stressed out as I should find out this week if I am hired for next year or if I am let go. If I am let go, I still have to work there for 2 more months. I’m really working on my attitude, having faith that whatever happens will be for the best and remembering that I have the strength to handle it.

Yes. She helped me with laptops today and I asked her if she could come in and review the state testing with me on Thursday so I can do a practice with my kids on their new computers on Friday.

Yes. I tidied up the living room.

Did I follow the plan? 

Yes. I didn’t use my pull-ups app, but I did do some hangs throughout the evening.

Yes. Lessons are ready; my desk is ok; my room is ready; grading is done.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Wednesday - I went to yoga class! Everyone was so nice and happy to see me back and it felt so good! My left leg has been bothering me for months, I thought it was unavoidable because of all the sitting i do now, but one yoga class and it feels great. 

Thursday - I found out today that they made a few cuts, but that I am still in the running for getting my job. However, I have to jump through some hoops to stay in the running and then won’t hear the final hiring decision until the 29th. So more waiting.

Yes, we practiced some state testing today and I was very interested and polite when she told me all about another thing I have to add to my day which I do not agree with.

Yes. I was super-supportive during a crisis he had a work today. I also made dinner and helped him talk it out again this evening.

Did I follow the plan? 

Yes. I went to yoga yesterday, but today I was completely exhausted, so I just walked the dog.

Yes. I’m ready and my room is ready. Also my desk looks great! I did not complete grading due to husband crisis and meeting after school so I will need to get that done first thing in the morning.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Friday - I think the stress from this week was a bit more than I could handle and I crashed. I’m tired and my brain won’t work. I told a kid today “I’m very Friday.” I have no idea what I was trying to say…lol. Anyway, feeling ready for next week at work and ready for some fun and relaxation this weekend!

n/a I didn’t see her today.

Yes. I folded and put away laundry and cleaned out our bag from camping (a week ago…). I also tidied the living room and made the bed.

Did I follow the plan? 

No. I don’t think I will do anything this evening, I’m wiped. 

Yes. I’m ready and my room is ready. Also my desk looks great! I have a little grading to do this weekend, and a little prep, but mostly I will enjoy the weekend.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

13 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

I told a kid today “I’m very Friday.” I have no idea what I was trying to say…lol.

That makes perfect sense to me!

• Like 2

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

This should be a thing.

Seconded. I'm adding this phrase to my vocabulary. :D Hope the weekend gives you some mental relaxation time. How do you feel about the challenge overall? 

• Like 2

I didn't even realize it was over! This challenge went great. I think this challenge became second nature because I picked quests that were small and that were important right now. I also remembered to check in everyday so I couldn't forget what I was supposed to be working on. 

I didn't get as much running and pull-ups in as I had hoped, but I am feeling active again and that is wonderful. I have been hiking, walking my dog, working in the yard - all those things that dropped out of my life that keep me in decent shape even when I don't get "fitness" in.

I feel like things are going well at work and that I am constantly improving. I'm pitching in more at home, but it's not automatic yet so that will probably stay on my quest list next round. My "coach" and I interact much better now, which is good because if I get rehired for next year she will be the principal. 

I hope everyone else had an improving challenge! 

• Like 5

Current Challenge

On 4/16/2017 at 0:05 AM, SnowOwl said:

I feel like things are going well at work and that I am constantly improving. I'm pitching in more at home, but it's not automatic yet so that will probably stay on my quest list next round. My "coach" and I interact much better now, which is good because if I get rehired for next year she will be the principal. 

Oooh, not just smart, but forethoughtful as well! (It's a word, roll with it). Sounds like things are definitely becoming habitual, and you even sound in a much better mood in general than when you started. Grats on a highly successful challenge, will we see you in the next one? 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 10:05 PM, SnowOwl said:

I didn't even realize it was over! This challenge went great. I think this challenge became second nature because I picked quests that were small and that were important right now. I also remembered to check in everyday so I couldn't forget what I was supposed to be working on. 

Same! The end of this challenge snuck up on me too. Awesome job this go round! And I agree the small quests and checking in frequently are really important. When I update my battle log, I end up keeping myself more accountable. Looking forward to your next challenge! :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23

Thanks everyone for all the support this challenge!

I think it's time for a break. (Not a sit on my butt and do nothing break, but an intentional, I need to take care of some things break.)

I find out if I get to keep my job or not on Friday and that will send my life in one of two very different directions. Either way feels pretty overwhelming and I think I need to greatly reduce my computer time and start working on improving how I make use of the time I have. 

I hope to be back soon, and will at least check in on threads now and then. Good luck with your new challenges!

• Like 4

Current Challenge

6 hours ago, SnowOwl said:

Thanks everyone for all the support this challenge!

I think it's time for a break. (Not a sit on my butt and do nothing break, but an intentional, I need to take care of some things break.)

I find out if I get to keep my job or not on Friday and that will send my life in one of two very different directions. Either way feels pretty overwhelming and I think I need to greatly reduce my computer time and start working on improving how I make use of the time I have. 

We'll miss you, but this sounds like a very good time for a break! :D Taking a break is also a good possibility to keep making the habits from your previous challenge stick ;) I hope everything goes well, and you have some time to enjoy the spring weather!

tumblr_ofsdu5tWU71ui6vs9o1_500.gif

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-