I'm 'Advanced' Apparently

Last night, I apparently made the jump from "one of the people at the MMA gym who shows up and does stuff" to "one of the people invited to advanced training and asked to demonstrate techniques to the newcomers". I've been feeling better there the last few weeks, feeling like I'm actually flowing and moving the way I'm supposed to, though I was also reasonably sure I looked like just some schmuck who THOUGHT he knew what he was doing. I'm pleased to be proven wrong!

The next  barrier is having the cardio to back that up for three full rounds.  The end of Round 2 is where my body starts to die, and while I can still punch and kick, I stop defending myself. That can't be allowed to stand. 

The last time I was at the Tiger Balms, it was my idea and my coach backed me up.

Last night he told me he wants me to go next year.

This is big for me. 

Cheers!

• Like 9

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

On 3/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, Thrillho said:

Last night, I apparently made the jump from "one of the people at the MMA gym who shows up and does stuff" to "one of the people invited to advanced training and asked to demonstrate techniques to the newcomers". I've been feeling better there the last few weeks, feeling like I'm actually flowing and moving the way I'm supposed to, though I was also reasonably sure I looked like just some schmuck who THOUGHT he knew what he was doing. I'm pleased to be proven wrong!

The next  barrier is having the cardio to back that up for three full rounds.  The end of Round 2 is where my body starts to die, and while I can still punch and kick, I stop defending myself. That can't be allowed to stand. 

The last time I was at the Tiger Balms, it was my idea and my coach backed me up.

Last night he told me he wants me to go next year.

This is big for me. 

Cheers!

Great job. That is impressive. I am sure you will be rocking through the end of round 3 in no time.

• Like 1

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Aaaaaaaaaaaand now I have to spar Dusty, our latest medal-winning competitor.  I am literally twice his size, and he is literally 3x my speed, so... it's kind of a great session for both of us. 

While enduring another 14-strike combination, my coach yelled "Fight back! Counter around your shield!" to which I responded "HOW DO I FIGHT BACK AGAINST THIS?!"

giphy.gif

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

So cool.  I trained martial arts for 8 years back in the day.  I know how tough it can be while sparring.

Amazing work!  Nice to get recognized and see progress for your hard work.  Keep it up!

• Like 1

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."

--Bruce Lee

Woot woot!  Way to go Thrillho!!!!

i know you never believe any of us when we tell you how awesome you are, so it's great to see you accepting some praise at last. You rock dude! :encouragement: 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously