Briniel's Super Sim Challenge

Briniel

Checking in to update on yesterday. I got up to 15/19 points, which is a pretty great score for a pretty great day.

Today was a bit more difficult, there was just too much food tempting me and once I had given in to one thing, my brain went "well, you're not going to get those points anyway, so you might as well indulge fully". There was lots of cake and sweets involved (which I haven't had in ages). I'm trying to focus on the fact that I haven't had sweets in ages, which is awesome, and not let the one day that I had some drag me down the slippery slope ;) Aaanyways, I don't have work tomorrow and I'm determined to make the most of my day off and actually get a workout it. I don't care if it's a 7-minute-workout or something, but that's the only row in my tracker that's still completely empty and I intend to change that. If you have any recommendations, let me know :)

• Like 3

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

15 hours ago, Briniel said:

Checking in to update on yesterday. I got up to 15/19 points, which is a pretty great score for a pretty great day.

Today was a bit more difficult, there was just too much food tempting me and once I had given in to one thing, my brain went "well, you're not going to get those points anyway, so you might as well indulge fully". There was lots of cake and sweets involved (which I haven't had in ages). I'm trying to focus on the fact that I haven't had sweets in ages, which is awesome, and not let the one day that I had some drag me down the slippery slope ;) Aaanyways, I don't have work tomorrow and I'm determined to make the most of my day off and actually get a workout it. I don't care if it's a 7-minute-workout or something, but that's the only row in my tracker that's still completely empty and I intend to change that. If you have any recommendations, let me know :)

Great job on your great day.

I understand that slippery slope for the sweets. I had one on Sunday since I said "Oh, I have blown it already, and I have been so good until now, I can blow the day." THat never ends well. But your right, focus on how well you HAVE been doing and remember its not just one day that messes things up, its all the time. And your always doing well with your points.

For you workout, you could try to do one of the nerdFitness ones. I know Fitstar is free and has some like 10 minutes ones, but you may need to sign up and take there "where do you start" test. Nice thing there is they level you up as well, so when you say something is getting easy, they make it harder (but it is not geared toward geeks, just normal people, so don't expect anything real interesting in the levels).

Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

I just realized that the challenge only runs until tomorrow. My habit tracker is set up by month, so I'm not even halfway through and since I was sick for the second week of the challenge, it doesn't feel like I've been at it that long. I was going to put up a mid-challenge-habit-tracker-update, but I guess I'll wait with that until sunday ;)

So for now, just a quick tally (since I missed a few days of updates):

Monday had me at 13/19.

Tuesday was only 14/19, even though it was my day off. I did not get that workout done (in fact, it's the only task that I haven't done once this month)

Wednesday ended up with 17/19 to make up for it.

Aaand yesterday I got only to 13/19 again.

I'm still pretty happy with how the challenge went. I got back into some old habits and started a few new ones and, most importantly, made a conscious offer to improve. True, I could have done more, but I definitely did more than I would have without the challenge, so that's a win for me.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Briniel said:

I definitely did more than I would have without the challenge, so that's a win for me.

cheer-me-up.gif

Hooray!!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

20 hours ago, Briniel said:

I definitely did more than I would have without the challenge, so that's a win for me.

Win win win! :D

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

On 4/14/2017 at 8:13 AM, Briniel said:

I'm still pretty happy with how the challenge went. I got back into some old habits and started a few new ones and, most importantly, made a conscious offer to improve. True, I could have done more, but I definitely did more than I would have without the challenge, so that's a win for me.

This is great news. Congrats. And thank you for posting this. It reminds me we have to remember where we came from, even if we aren't always doing so well.

Great job and thanks for the reminder.

4 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:
On 4/14/2017 at 10:13 AM, Briniel said:

This is great news. Congrats. And thank you for posting this. It reminds me we have to remember where we came from, even if we aren't always doing so well.

Great job and thanks for the reminder.

Seconded :)

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

15 hours ago, Briniel said:

Thanks, guys!!

The last two days of the challenge landed on a solid 15/19.

I'll post a summary tomorrow with pics of my trackers and such. I already got plans for next challenge :)

Great job. I am curious to see how it all worked. I may borrow some ideas for my next challenge

Challenge Summary

I started with the Super Sim Theme, ordering my numerous goals by the basic needs in the game The Sims 4. I struggled through week 1, then was sick for week 2 and the first few days of week 3 and decided to set up my tried and trusted habit tracker again for the rest of the challenge. I used trackers like that last year (before my newly acquired full time position robbed me of all energy) and you can see some examples in my bullet journal album here. These trackers are set up by month, so this one only has the last two weeks of the challenge and will continue until the end of april. Then I'll see what to take over to may and what to leave out or change. Right now, it looks like this:

medium.IMG_20170416_104109.jpg.f120fbecb

Hydration (90%)

drink >2.4l per day (12/15)

I struggled with this more than I thought I would, but looking at the tracker, it doesn't even look that bad. What I've found works for me is having my 0.6l water bottle with me at all times, tracking how much I actually drink (and not relying on my memory, because it sucks) and setting specific goals over the day. I want to finish my first bottle before noon (ideally before starting work), my second before 3pm, my third before getting back from work and my forth before bed. I made little tags that help me track my refills (and other fluids I drink, like a cup of tea or something) and cross of whenever I empty a 0.2l or 0.6l unit. I've been doing really well lately and intend to keep it that way. I'm happy with the amount of hydration, too, so this goal is just going to stay this way.

medium.IMG_20170416_231418.jpg.0ceef89f8

don't drink calories (15/15)

This was incredibly easy to get back into. I don't usually drink soda or something like that, so for me this only meant cutting out the sugar in my tea and not having hot chocolates. I might drop this off the tracker next month, since I already track sugar whether I had refined sugar, so having a hot chocolate would currently cost me two points which doesn't seem that balanced ;)

Nutrition (73%)

no refined sugar (10/15)

no white flour (10/15)

I feel like I did better than the numbers reflect. I dropped sugar and white flour from my three main meals and only had a few snacks over the course of the last weeks. The culprits were ice cream (when the weather was really nice for a few days, which is fine by me, though I could limit it to two balls of ice cream at a time) and work. I work with children and sometimes we bake waffles together or I visit their homes and the parents offer cake. It just feels weird to not have something then.

What did happen was the slippery slope effect. Once I have something sweet, I tend to have more. The reasoning is that I already lost my "no sugar" point, so I might as well dig in. I'm not sure yet how to counter that within the system of my habit tracker.

I do want to seperately track main meals and snacks, though. It felt wrong that one piece of cake would make it look like I had not reached my nutrition goals at all, when all other food choices had been good. So I think I'll have "3 healthy main meals" and "healthy snacks" as items next month, where healthy includes not having refined sugar or white flour and not eating overly processed food.

2x freggies (13/15)

I definitely want to up this to 3x/day next month. I currently have a bowl of fruit with yoghurt and quark in the morning and try to get into the habit of eating a salad in the evening, so that's that. I'd like to add freggie snacks and make it a habit to eat that instead of sandwiches (even whole grain ones). But I'm really happy with how this one went, especially since veggies have been difficult for me before.

Movement (63%)

take the stairs (14/15)

this one completely surprised me. From one day to the next I decided I would no longer take escalators or elevators, but take the stairs instead and there were only one or two slight mishaps (when I was rushed or carrying heavy things). I think this worked so well because it's an easy decision to make. I know when to do it (whenever there's a choice between the two) and what to do, it does not involve any decision making on my part and once I get unto the right path, there's no alternative but to finish through with it. It even worked for my second job which involves climbing 6 flights of stairs. And yes, it did get easier over time ;) I even took the stairs when my coworkers took the elevator. So yeah, this one is a big win and makes me really happy :)

morning yoga (12/15)

I felt like I did worse than the numbers show. I wanted to get back into the habit of doing daily yoga and decided the best way would be to do it first thing in the morning, before work. I think it helps a lot to have a fixed time slot, so I don't have to make new plans daily, but this didn't work to well on the days I didn't have work. I also kind of tricked myself. The rule was to do 5 minutes, but these often consisted of "easy" stuff, instead of a full routine. which I followed through with. The next step is to find a routine I like (or several, depending on my mood) and maybe commit to a little bit more time. Any suggestions for morning practices are welcome.

wrist exercises (12/15)

I used the NF yoga wrist exercises for this one and tried to do them right after yoga. Sometimes I'd forget or not have enough time, but I'm pretty happy with how this went. And I guess my wrists are, too. I sometimes get a weird pain in them after yoga or when I put other stress on them and that hasn't happened in the last few weeks. Could be a coincidence, but I'm definitely going to continue this one. I want to get back into handstands and stuff, so strong wrists will definitely help :)

workout/flexibility work (0/15)

Ugh. So the idea behind this was to get back into the academy workouts or any other kind of workout and do the NF yin yoga or similar stretching routines in between. The reality was... different. There was so much other stuff and a full workout was such a large amount of effort and time in my mind that I rather did nothing. I definitely want to focus on this one next challenge, but I'm going to start slowly. A friend of mine has had great success with daily seven minute workouts. She has an app that tracks her progress and tallys her streak for daily workouts. I might have a look into that. I also might just change this to another "5 minutes of exercise" thing and just work on pushups, handstands, squats or anything else that comes to mind. The idea is to get back into the habit of moving daily. It doesn't have to be a fully grown workout right away.

Fun (65%)

play with cats (8/15)

I'm kinda torn on this one. I'm happy that I spend more time playing with the cats, but ashamed that it wasn't more and that I needed to make this a task in order to actually do it. I'm also not sure if and how I want to continue this one. I'm considering changing it to "spending time w/ cats", because right now cuddling, petting and brushing them doesn't count, but I also think that might make it too easy. Maybe I just need to look into other activities to do with them instead of just waving a rod with a toy in front of them... I might get back into clicker training, but that seems too dauting right now. Ugh... I'm undecided. I'll see how the next two weeks go and decide then on how to proceed.

read something (14/15)

This was fun. Again, I feel like I should not need a tracker to do this, but it helped me remembering to take time for reading and I usually read more than the "required" 5 minutes. I'll keep at it for the rest of the month and then see whether I want to keep it or whether the habit sticks on its own.

sing (7/15)

This number will definitely go up the next two weeks - choir starts again!! I definitely could have done more here, but I did do some preparation for the first rehearsal on wednesday. This one of those things that I would not have done as much without the challenge, so yay! I'll keep on tracking this and try to get some private lessons again. Those have been scarce, but mainly due to my teachers full schedule.

enjoy outsides (10/15)

This mainly included going for walks or sitting on the balcony. There still were days when I didn't leave the house, but I made an effort and got to enjoy some fresh air. I could still improve on this, mainly taking the chance when good weather is around instead of postponing it until it's dark and/or rainy again. I'll definitely keep this one and try to make this a daily thing.

Social (58%)

2x socialize (8/15)

Again, this is not something I'm proud of. There are days when I don't talk to anyone but my boyfriend or people at work. I want to make a bigger effort of staying in touch with friends, so any meaningfull conversation counted for this, be it via phone, text message or face to face. Still, I didn't get as much points as I would have liked. I especially want to get back to calling my family regularly, so I'll focus on that in the future.

meet up with someone (7/15)

I'm not actually sure whether this one helped or whether I would have met people regardless. I do however noticed that it doesn't work well with how the tracker is set up. It's supposed to have daily habits and it's just not feasable for me to meet someone each and every day. So I'll probably just add a bonus point to the socialize item when the socializing is done in person ;)

update & comment NF (11/15)

I did great up until the last few days. I'm not actually sure what happened, but maybe I felt like I didn't really have anything to say. My updates consisted mostly of just dropping down the daily number of points. Maybe I should try to get into more detail of how my day went and what worked well and what I struggled with (like I'm doing now :P ) so it actually feels worthwile to post here and so that I can look bet and get a better grasp of what's going on. Not sure. I also want to comment on at least 3 posts daily instead of 2, like I did so far. And I'd like to spread out more next challenge and stay in touch with more people.

Hygiene (96%)

brush teeth and floss (15/15)

Such a big win on this one!! I've actually struggled with this before, oftentimes forgetting to brush my teeth before going to bed and then not wanting to get back up (and out of my warm, cozy covers) to go and do it. I do the flossing in the evening and since I check my habit tracker frequently over the course of the day I remembered to brush and floss before bed most of the time. And if I didn't, the prospect of losing a point was enough to get me back out of bed ;) I'm really happy with this one, and my dentist probably is, too :D

put away clothes (15/15)

I have a habit of leaving clothes all over the flat, to the dismay of my boyfriend. Oftentimes clothes were found over our bed or his office chair or the floor and we had our few share of dicussions about this. The solution was simple. I put up two clothe hangers on the door of my wardrobe and hung up any used-but-not-dirty clothes there in the evening. Problem solved. It worked really, really well for me. And my boyfriend's happy ;)

2 housekeeping tasks + daily tasks (13/15)

I have a seperate housekeeping tracker that both my boyfriend and I use and we did really well this month. I could take a picture if anyone's interested, but basically it's a list of tasks with indications of how often they should be done and then we just cross off what we did. If both of us do 2 tasks daily, we should be able to get everything done over the course of the month. It's working well for us so far and I definitely want to stick with it.

So yeah, that's it. Looking back at that wall of text and all those numbers, I'm really happy with how it went. I definitely got back into the game and I'm ready to continue this journey. I'll stick to my habit tracker for the next week and get some stuff in the flat done during my free time next week. For the next challenge I want to focus on exercise. I'll keep my habit tracker running monthly and try to figure out a weekly workout routine that works for me and fits into the time I have. Right now I just want to enjoy the holidays and relax a little bit.

• Like 3

You did so well!!! Great job!

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

You did a great job there. If I understand it right, you went back from having fallen off the wagon and hitting it consistently across the board with few exception. Yeah, that is a great job. :)

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

On 4/16/2017 at 5:39 PM, Briniel said:

Challenge Summary

I started with the Super Sim Theme, ordering my numerous goals by the basic needs in the game The Sims 4. I struggled through week 1, then was sick for week 2 and the first few days of week 3 and decided to set up my tried and trusted habit tracker again for the rest of the challenge. I used trackers like that last year (before my newly acquired full time position robbed me of all energy) and you can see some examples in my bullet journal album here. These trackers are set up by month, so this one only has the last two weeks of the challenge and will continue until the end of april. Then I'll see what to take over to may and what to leave out or change. Right now, it looks like this:

So yeah, that's it. Looking back at that wall of text and all those numbers, I'm really happy with how it went. I definitely got back into the game and I'm ready to continue this journey. I'll stick to my habit tracker for the next week and get some stuff in the flat done during my free time next week. For the next challenge I want to focus on exercise. I'll keep my habit tracker running monthly and try to figure out a weekly workout routine that works for me and fits into the time I have. Right now I just want to enjoy the holidays and relax a little bit.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to respond. I love the look of your journal. I wish mine looked anything like that. but more importantly, I love how you had everything broken down and I think you did great. You know what you are trying to accomplish and how you want to get there. Keep it up. You will get where you are going in no time. Great job

Pssst, how's it going?

On 25.4.2017 at 4:13 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Pssst, how's it going?

Well... I didn't really find the time to set up a new challenge and that definitely influenced how motivated I felt to do stuff. Lot's of energy drainage from the job. But I stuck to what I could in the last week of april, with 72/133 points. I just set up my new tracker for may and will try to get a challenge up, too, but it won't be anything fancy, just enough to keep me accountable. I do want to get back into fitness and handstands and stuff! I met up with a few friends yesterday and became a bit reminiscent of last summer when I was at the peak of my fitness and could do all that cool stuff that I'd never done before. And I want to be able to do that again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Briniel said:

Well... I didn't really find the time to set up a new challenge and that definitely influenced how motivated I felt to do stuff. Lot's of energy drainage from the job. But I stuck to what I could in the last week of april, with 72/133 points. I just set up my new tracker for may and will try to get a challenge up, too, but it won't be anything fancy, just enough to keep me accountable. I do want to get back into fitness and handstands and stuff! I met up with a few friends yesterday and became a bit reminiscent of last summer when I was at the peak of my fitness and could do all that cool stuff that I'd never done before. And I want to be able to do that again.

Remember to start small. You may not be able to do everything you did last summer, but start with just a couple and work your way back up.  Granted that is easier said than done since I am in the same boat going "BUT I USE TO .."  We will both get there, a little bit a time.

Haha, that fits right in with the article I read just now: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/limitless/

The habit tracker is done, but I think I'll use next challenge to see which habits already stuck and decide on which ones to work on after that. Uh, this is going to be tough, especially for my rangerbrain.

• Like 2