Suzy Q is back to learn some more

suzyQlou

Hello.  I'm jumping back into the NF world.  Here's what I'm gonna do:

1 Eating. Portion size smack-down.

2 Eating. Restaurant restraint.

3 Workouts:  The usual.

4 Life Goal:  Be here.

1. Portion size smack-down.  This goal comes from a careful analysis of my food log.  Logging has become a long-time habit for me (yay!) but a pattern has emerged.  There are very few check marks on my portion size goals.  Funny how that can lead to overeating, eh?  So this challenge I attack the portion size checkmarks on my food log.  Lunch and Dinner will have pre-planned portions.  I can have seconds on veggies if I'm still hungry.  Added bonus?  I have my husband and older son on board with the smack-down.  The son smacks my hand if I reach for seconds, and my husband yells at him for smacking my hand.  Good system?  We shall see.

VeganvsPaleoW.jpg

2. Restaurant restraint.  My family eats out a lot.  It is one of the few times we're all together sharing something in common.  So the weekends will probably include 2-4 meals at restaurants.  I will be doing two things at restaurants this challenge.  1) ordering healthier sides (salad...not fries) and 2) taking home leftovers.

69732022-ef32-4bba-8c58-8a9c2361c479Othe

3 The usual workouts.  This means MWF strength workouts and T Th cardio workouts.  I dedicate 25 minutes between the school bus and work to exercise.  I need to be consistent and do them e*v*e*r*y day.  It is ok to substitute snow-shoveling 18 inches of snow or yoga when the snow shoveling DOMS kick in.  It is not ok to substitute five minutes of half-hearted stretching.  I have generally kept good workout habits, but I have become too likely to skip them with flimsy excuses.  I also haven't really challenged myself to do more difficult exercises.  Bonus points this challenge for doing more than the bare minimum.

1968rsdgvldojjpg.jpg

4 Life Goal:  Be here.  Ahhh, how I've missed my friends at NF.  I won't bore you with excuses, but I've been away from the boards for months and months.  My weight has gone up, and my energy levels have gone down.  So I am here to be accountable for my quest towards great health yet again.  I will check in to the boards at least five minutes a day.  I will set a timer, though, so I don't get sucked in so much that I miss out on real life.  One of the biggest reasons I dropped off the boards was because I wanted to cut down on my overall screen time.  Anyway, my goal is to be active here between 5 and 20 minutes a day.  And as my timer is now at 72 minutes, I must say goodbye for today.  It's great to be back!

76a0c52baaa15d2b5c193b290a87a3c3_group-h

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

Welcome back! I'm following along and cheering you on! I love your goals and totally relate to #4. I will also be working on balancing NF screen time with life. 

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

On 3/18/2017 at 0:39 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

200.gif#0

200.gif#0

200.gif#24

Glad that you are back!!!  And with sensible goals and a plan.  LOVE IT! 

Awesome to see you. Those hugs are comin' back your way!

On 3/18/2017 at 0:41 PM, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back. Very good challenge goals- loving the portion size smack-down.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Great to see you are still going strong. 

On 3/18/2017 at 9:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad to see you return. I'll be following along.

I gotta go read up in all your adventures asap. FB has given me a tiny sneak peek, and if I haven't said it before CONGRATULATIONS to you and your sweatheart. 

18 hours ago, honeybadger said:

Welcome back! I'm following along and cheering you on! I love your goals and totally relate to #4. I will also be working on balancing NF screen time with life. 

Phew. You made it back. I didn't see your thread on Saturday and thought I might have missed you. It's great to be jumping back in the thick of things together. 

18 hours ago, Yraen said:

Great to have you back. 

Ah, Yraen. It always makes me smile to see you. Thanks for the warm welcome. 

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

Guess I'm old-school.  I'm starting my actual challenge today on a MONDAY.  And things are looking good so far.  Strength workout completed with no complaining.  I'm finding it helps to play some music in the background.  Does anyone else like classical piano during pushups?

Also, I'm adding a bonus goal to this month's challenge.  My older son is a boy scout who has been working towards Tenderfoot rank for over a year.  All he has left is a physical fitness requirement.  He has to run/walk a mile, measure a stretch-and-reach, and do as many pushups and situps/curlups he can do in a minute.  Then he needs to create a workout plan and follow it for a month.  Finally, he has to re-test and show some improvement.  This is our third re-spawn, and it has been very painful.  Mom's job is to help him stick to his plan with encouragement, but not too many blown-out fights and arguments.

So, we did the benchmarks yesterday.  It was excruciating, but he did it.  Now the plan is in place.  I will walk a mile with him M-F, and my husband will encourage him as he works on the flexibilty/strength part.  It is going to help to have the rebellion behind us this time.  We will make it!!!!

6L98fVf.jpg

• Like 5

suzyQlou * Ranger    

6 hours ago, Terra said:

So happy to see you back!!!  I always start on Monday's, because I drop off the radar on weekends.  So a fresh start with the new week works too!  

Yes!  I'm glad I'm not alone. Good to see you, Terra!

suzyQlou * Ranger    

12 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Ah, Yraen. It always makes me smile to see you. 

Right back at you.

I don't really go for piano pieces during pushups, but I have found that Tchaikovsky goes good with jumping rope.

Hope your son passes the test. I know how hard it can be to make and stick with a fitness plan.

• Like 1

Tell me more about your garden...  I'll tell ya about mine: Because of my elevation we have to be careful when we plant and fast growing plants are a must!  I'm dedicating Friday to my garden (minus my BJJ class time!)  My garden is in an old 7'x12' dog run, which keeps the dogs and other critters out of it! I made the raised beds with chicken wire under them because we have lot of gophers who love the roots!   Kale is a favorite to grow and I need to get the seeds in the ground ASAP!  Tomatoes wont be planted for another month or more.  I typically do my last garden planting on Mother's day weekend.  :apple:

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: FULL CUP

On 3/20/2017 at 10:11 PM, Yraen said:

Right back at you.

I don't really go for piano pieces during pushups, but I have found that Tchaikovsky goes good with jumping rope.

Hope your son passes the test. I know how hard it can be to make and stick with a fitness plan.

Ah, Tchaikovsky and jump rope.  Good combination!  Thanks for the good wished for my kid.  I need to remember that it IS hard to stick with a fitness plan.  He's not just being a difficult child when he resists.

22 hours ago, Terra said:

Tell me more about your garden...  I'll tell ya about mine: Because of my elevation we have to be careful when we plant and fast growing plants are a must!  I'm dedicating Friday to my garden (minus my BJJ class time!)  My garden is in an old 7'x12' dog run, which keeps the dogs and other critters out of it! I made the raised beds with chicken wire under them because we have lot of gophers who love the roots!   Kale is a favorite to grow and I need to get the seeds in the ground ASAP!  Tomatoes wont be planted for another month or more.  I typically do my last garden planting on Mother's day weekend.  :apple:

Oh, I could go on and on about gardening!  I think I saw this question on your thread, too.  Biggest win so far is progress on the cold frame.  I finished the bolting the boards together yesterday.  I have to exchange the hinges for connecting the window on top - the ones I bought don't quite fit.  But in a pinch I could lay the window on top and call the project sorta done.

Happy news for the challenge so far

1. I ran outside the whole time yesterday.  Ok, this is a very slow jog rather than a "run".  But...this is the year I will transition from winter elliptical workouts to spring outdoor running with ZERO injuries to ankles/knees.  I've been adding a half mile outdoors at a time, and it seems to be working!

2. I added split squats to my workout this morning.  It's been a long time since I've added anything at all.  I thought I'd have to go back to assisted split squats, but my dear knees were strong enough to handle them without holding on for dear life.  Yay!

• Like 7

suzyQlou * Ranger    

14 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Well done fitting that in!  Good dedication.

I think that it's fantastic that you are helping your son with his badge.  Fitness goals are hard, your support will only help him.  

Thanks.  And you're right.  Gotta support the young 'uns!  It will help him help himself down the line.

Time for a weekly roundup.  I felt pretty good about the general stickiness of this new challenge.  It is wonderful to be back!  I stuck to the workouts better than I have lately, and I resisted lots of eating-related pitfalls.  But I picked these goals for a reason.  I picked them because they are areas I really need to target.  As such, they still need some work.  Especially the eating out and portion goal.

Grades:

1 Eating. Portion size smack-down.  11/14  (coincidence?...bad portions are at restaurants this week)

2 Eating. Restaurant restraint.  2a.  Healthy Side.  2/3  2b.  Leftovers.  0/3

3 Workouts:  The usual.  5/5

4 Life Goal:  Be here.  4a.  at least five minutes 7/7  4b. not longer than 20 minutes unless pre-planned 3/7.

5 Boy Scout walks:  5/5

There's a Science Fair at the elementary school today.  This leaves me with mixed feelings.  I'm super proud of my younger son.  He had an original idea and did REAL science for his project.  But I had to drive him and his project to school today, so I missed my morning workout.  It's going to be tight squeezing it in again later.  I wish I had thought to do it yesterday instead.

science-scientists-laboratory-laboratori

• Like 4

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On 3/20/2017 at 9:16 AM, suzyQlou said:

Phew. You made it back. I didn't see your thread on Saturday and thought I might have missed you. It's great to be jumping back in the thick of things together. 

I made it back. I certainly couldn't you jump back without me

On 3/22/2017 at 9:15 AM, suzyQlou said:

Happy news for the challenge so far

1. I ran outside the whole time yesterday.  Ok, this is a very slow jog rather than a "run".  But...this is the year I will transition from winter elliptical workouts to spring outdoor running with ZERO injuries to ankles/knees.  I've been adding a half mile outdoors at a time, and it seems to be working!

^^ Awesome job with the real world running! It has been too cold here for me to run outside yet mostly because I'm a wuss and not a badass blizzard runner like Xena. 

I typed this response days ago and apparently never posted it. Gotta love ADD. 

Great job on week 1! You are off to a strong start with your goals AND supporting the kiddos like a boss!

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

On 3/27/2017 at 9:44 PM, honeybadger said:

I made it back. I certainly couldn't you jump back without me

^^ Awesome job with the real world running! It has been too cold here for me to run outside yet mostly because I'm a wuss and not a badass blizzard runner like Xena. 

I typed this response days ago and apparently never posted it. Gotta love ADD. 

Great job on week 1! You are off to a strong start with your goals AND supporting the kiddos like a boss!

It is so good to have company jumping back in.  I didn't realize how much I missed it here until I came back.  It's like a cozy home base :) 

On 3/27/2017 at 10:26 PM, Elastigirl said:

Awesome week 1. As you get back into the habit of working out, it will be easier to plan it around life. And now you know that you need to workout tomorrow.

Yes!  That life keeps getting in the way.  Right now I have the willpower of a new beginning, but I need to get that habit back so I don't slip up.

I DID sneak my workout in on Monday.  Lets just say I am stronger and fresher in the morning than at bedtime!  Mornings have been filling up, though, all week.  I had to jump through some hoops yesterday to get my run in.  

dogNhoop_large.jpg

Even today, I was out delivering a forgotten trumpet at school during my workout time.  At least I have a glorious sunny, free afternoon.  I was going to devote it to gardening in the strawberry patch, but now I'll do my outdoor circuit workout first.  I look forward to that workout when the sun comes out!  I get to climb up the tree house rope ladder and hang from the monkey bars.  Fun stuff!

• Like 5

suzyQlou * Ranger    

On 3/29/2017 at 11:31 AM, Elastigirl said:

That sounds like a fun workout! I love it when it's sunny and I can do an outdoor workout.

Absolutely! I have such an attitude shift when it's sunny.  I look forward to exercise instead of just doing it because it's good for me!

Going into the weekend with a perfect portion smack-down so far.  This will be the week to hold on!!!

Had a small melt-down in the boy scout encouragement plan.  I have no idea why this kid of mine is exactly as stubborn as me.  Anyway, I hope some good comes of the argument.  We fought over the same two usual issues.  Health and time management.  My dear 12 year old eats poorly.  This leads to constipation and spending exorbitant amounts of time in the bathroom.  After exorbitant amounts of time in the bathroom, there's no time left for our walk or his other responsibilities.  So, when he came downstairs last night and drank all his special sugary cranberry juice WITHOUT the miralax that I left out for him, I lost my temper.

We did eventually work out a plan that includes a checklist of responsibilities to take care of before screens and a few diet changes to make (water and more fiber).  We also squeezed in a late evening walk on the way home from piano lessons.  Before it was all over, he landed a solid punch.  "Mom, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I've noticed something about your plans.  Sure, you may be all excited and stick with them for a few days.  But then you forget about them and we go back to normal.  So I guess I can take your punishment just fine.  It won't last long."  How am I ever going to survive mothering a teenager like this one?  At 12, he's not even an official teen yet!!!

• Like 2

suzyQlou * Ranger    

10 minutes ago, suzyQlou said:

Absolutely! I have such an attitude shift when it's sunny.  I look forward to exercise instead of just doing it because it's good for me!

Going into the weekend with a perfect portion smack-down so far.  This will be the week to hold on!!!

Had a small melt-down in the boy scout encouragement plan.  I have no idea why this kid of mine is exactly as stubborn as me.  Anyway, I hope some good comes of the argument.  We fought over the same two usual issues.  Health and time management.  My dear 12 year old eats poorly.  This leads to constipation and spending exorbitant amounts of time in the bathroom.  After exorbitant amounts of time in the bathroom, there's no time left for our walk or his other responsibilities.  So, when he came downstairs last night and drank all his special sugary cranberry juice WITHOUT the miralax that I left out for him, I lost my temper.

We did eventually work out a plan that includes a checklist of responsibilities to take care of before screens and a few diet changes to make (water and more fiber).  We also squeezed in a late evening walk on the way home from piano lessons.  Before it was all over, he landed a solid punch.  "Mom, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I've noticed something about your plans.  Sure, you may be all excited and stick with them for a few days.  But then you forget about them and we go back to normal.  So I guess I can take your punishment just fine.  It won't last long."  How am I ever going to survive mothering a teenager like this one?  At 12, he's not even an official teen yet!!!

:lol:Yep, welcome to having a teen. All the sudden they start looking at what you do, instead of just what you say. It's like they expect you to live the way you talk.:) I think you survive with humor and honesty.  Tell him, yes you struggle too, and that you are working on being more consistent, maybe it's something you can work on together.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Before it was all over, he landed a solid punch.  "Mom, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I've noticed something about your plans.  Sure, you may be all excited and stick with them for a few days.  But then you forget about them and we go back to normal.  So I guess I can take your punishment just fine.  It won't last long."

Rookie mistake. You never let the parents know you are on to them, they'll change their tells and tactics.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I had another thought on pre-teens boys and your what your son said. I think as far as the Boy Scout thing goes, I would keep to just what your goal is encouraging him. If he  doesn't want to make the time or drags his feet, I would drop it. There are other things you most likely have to really push him on, with the Scouts it might be best to take an encouraging role but tell him that it is ultimately his decision as to whether he works for the badge or not.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien