deborahjade learns from the past

deborahjade

For the third challenge of the year, I've decided to move to the Ranger's guild (from Scouts) based on my changed goals. I also was stoked to just realise that successfully completing two challenges in row is a personal best for me!! 

My main long-term quest is to run a sub-30 min 5k by May 2018. I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant and want to use the next seven months before I begin running again to develop some new habits so I am healthier, more active and have better core/overall strength. 

This challenge I have attempted to learn from the past and have altered my goals to be more achievable by aiming to do most of them only 5 times a week. I've also broken them up in to 4 main categories and will be scoring each category based on how well I've done on the underlying 2 sub-goals. We'll see after the first week or two if I've put too much on my plate or not. 

move every day

• spend time outside for at least 12 minutes 5x weekly - In the last challenge, I aimed for a specific step goal, but found that I focused on the numbers more than the actual increased physical activity. Hopefully I will see increased steps as a side effect of changing the underlying habit.
  • strength workout 2x weekly (AM) - I will be doing this before lunchtime each day or I found last challenge that I'm too tired/exhausted/sore by evening. And while I will struggle to do it twice, I will keep the goal as I feel that is the minimum I should be doing. 

fuel for life

• drink 2.5L water 5x weekly - I developed this habit in the first challenge of the year, and then have slowly slipped and started drinking less and less. So I'm revisiting it to strengthen the habit, especially given how many years I spent reinforcing poor water-drinking habits. 
  • pre-plan snacks 5x weekly - As a person who just loves eating, I'm a bit all over the shop on what/when I am snacking and if I'm not organised, I'll start thinking about sugary options. So I'm challenging myself to put in some thought on workdays to bring along specific snacks each day and then I'm less likely to buy snacks. 

grow the mind

• read the Histories (by Herodotus) 5x weekly - I am determined to finish reading this book by the end of April (currently at 38.5%), so this goal should help me get there. 
  • review all books read - This is my big 2017 reading goal and I've stayed on track so far (reviewed 23/24 books). To motivate me, I'm not allowed to mark the book as read on goodreads until I've written a review, hence why I'm currently one review behind. The goal behind this is to improve my reflective thinking and writing skills.

create beauty

• crochet/sew 2x weekly - I like to do this, but I don't prioritise it. And I have a couple of unfinished projects that have been hanging around for a couple of years. The real challenge is to actually just sit down and make time, so two times a week would be an awesome achievement, and as I see progress, then I will want to do more crafty things. Specifically, I have been crocheting (more off than on) a lego quilt (sorta like this one) for my son.. I started when he was around 6 months for his 1st birthday... maybe I'll be done by this Christmas if I really put some effort into it.
  • draw 2x weekly I can draw well when I really try and have a picture to work off, but I need to do some deliberate practice so I can draw all the vehicles and animals that my 2yo son requests. 

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

Week One - Day 1

move every day

~ Go outside - Went outside for a 25 minute wander around the suburb with my son on his balance bike and got around 3,500 steps for it 1/5

~ Strength workout - Planned for Tuesday morning 0/2

fuel for life

~ Drink 2.5L water - Check! 1/5

~ Prep snacks - Will do for workdays 0/5

grow the mind

~ Read Histories - Read 9 pages (started Book 5, I think it focuses on Darius conquering Thrace) 1/5

~ Review books - I have one in the backlog that I will work on this week 0/1

create beauty

~ Crochet/sew - None planned today 0/2

~ Draw - I drew a Brachiosaurus. While I wasn't happy with it when I finished, I'm much happier looking back on it today. Yellow stamps were added by my 2 year old :)1/2

Goodreads

Week One - Day 2

move every day

~ Go outside - Walked to the library and shops and back,  2/5

~ Strength workout - Planned for Tuesday morning 0/2

fuel for life

~ Drink 2.5L water - I just managed to do this but need to start drinking more in the first half up the day so I am not up as much at night! 2/5

~ Prep snacks - I pre-planned snacks, but didn't take into account how hungry I would be after lunch. I ended up eating my afternoon tea early and then paying for a slice of banana bread for charity. 1/5

grow the mind

~ Read Histories - Read 7 or so pages 2/5

~ Review books - I have one in the backlog that I will work on this week 0/1

create beauty

~ Crochet/sew - Ended up doing some work from home so didn't happen 0/2

~ Draw - None planned today 1/2

Goodreads

Week One - Day 3

move every day

~ Go outside - Walked to the shops and back to buy some roast chicken for dinner  3/5

~ Strength workout - After way too much decision making in the last 24 hours, my willpower was sapped, and so I watched Buffy S1 instead. 0/2

fuel for life

~ Drink 2.5L water - Just got this in before bedtime... again, need to start earlier... maybe target flavoured water earlier in the day to get my numbers up. 3/5

~ Prep snacks - No pre-planned snacks and didn't drink enough in the AM so ate waaay too much chocolate. 1/5

grow the mind

~ Read Histories - Skipped it due to work from home in the evening instead and washing the dishes because we have people over tomorrow night. 2/5

create beauty

~ Crochet/sew - None planned today 0/2

Goodreads

Week One - Day 4

move every day

~ Go outside - Took a break from walking extra steps  3/5

~ Strength workout - No workout planned. 0/2

fuel for life

~ Drink 2.5L water - Drank 2.5L. 4/5

~ Prep snacks - Prepped snacks for work.. was still a bit hungry 2/5

grow the mind

~ Read Histories - Skipped it due to feeling unwell and read 'It's Been a Good Life' by Isaac Asimov instead 2/5

create beauty

~ Crochet/sew - Had sewing planning but felt unwell 0/2

Goodreads

Week One - Day 5

This day pretty much is summarised by 

1. Strained my side muscles in my side yesterday evening twisting to pick up my son's backpack from the back seat of the car = a night of not much sleep as lying down or rolling over hurt a lot.
  2. Around lunchtime, I caught the viral infection my son has had this week and had an afternoon & evening of misery and sleeping sitting upright until it slowly settled down by morning. Apparently managed 1,800 steps and didn't both tracking anything else.

Goodreads

What sort of projects are you creating right now? I have plenty of UFOs myself; need to make time to work on them or chuck them!

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40