Hymnusal enters the arena

Hymnusal

This is technically a re-spawn challenge for me, but since it's been years since I was on the forums I've done a complete re-roll as it were. (To be honest I don't even remember my old user name and probably don't have the same email anymore.) I'm a touch late posting my challenge, but had already defined my goals on paper yesterday morning so I began the challenge this morning as expected.

The new worksheets were insanely helpful and I was able to choose challenge goals that would support multiple Quests in all cases. I still have to assign points, so I'll probably make an edit here once I figure out how that is done)

Also just a note, the quest "Kick @$$ like Hymnusal" is referring to being in the best shape I can be in. Hymnusal is just the name of my Death Knight main on WOW - she's awesome and I'd love to be equally so. Also if you see me on Fizzcrank feel free to say "Hi!"

Quest(s): Kick @$$ like Hymnusal & Reverse Tooth Decay

Floss and brush teeth after supper each day (diet goal) => This should mean that I am brushing and flossing every day and will prevent me from evening snacking (such a nasty villain!)

One point per day out of 28 days to get % grade.

Quest(s): Kick @$$ like Hymnusal & Learn to Cook

Find online tutorials on the proper use and care of kitchen knives and practice cutting vegetables with these techniques (diet goal) => This should make me so much cooler with pointy things and help with my slowness preparing food (which is my biggest deterrent, blah to time consuming tasks)

50% of grade just by learning to cut vegetables and then count all of the times that I could have practiced these new techniques against the number of times I actually practiced them for the rest of the grade.

Quest(s): Kick @$$ like Hymnusal & Clear my Mental Fog

Set aside time Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday to work out - even 10 minutes will count as a win, but I need to start somewhere (fitness goal) => This will give me better fitness like Hymnusal and I hope that the exercise will help me to sleep and concentrate better

Rough plan is to:

-   do a short run (5 mins) and Body weight workout on Monday and Wednesday

-   do a long run every Friday; go as long as you can - cap at 30 mins (current test last Friday shows I can manage around 12 minutes straight)

-   do a Yoga balance and flow routine on Saturday

This is a lot of exercise to add in since right now it is 0 times a week, plus I'm not even sure this rough plan will work for me, so I'll say 3 times a week with each week worth 25% of the grade.

Quest(s): Likeness with Christ & Clear my Mental Fog

Get up earlier each day to read scripture and meditate on a key theme or verse from the reading (life goal) => Meditating on God's word should bring better clarity and draw me closer to him

Read scripture is worth 50%, meditation is worth 50%. One point per day out of 28 days to get % grade.

• Like 2

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

End of day two report:
March 19th

-    Woke up at 5 am to pray as part of a 24 prayer challenge my church was doing (I took the 5am-6am slot), so my meditation on the word was a little later than I wanted it to be (ahhhhh sleep), but still happened before the church service. :)

-    Didn't finish supper until almost 8 (it was a weird day), but did brush/floss 15-20 minutes after that to prevent myself from further munching.

-    No fitness scheduled for today, but still went for a walk with a friend and the bulldog she was babysitting

March 20th

-    Didn't do so hot at waking up again, but still squeezed the meditation in, it just felt tighter than I would like it to.

-    Finished supper around 6:20 and brushed and flossed my teeth 20 minutes later - this worked out really well since some friends came over and brought chips and I had a stellar excuse of "Dentist's orders, already brushed" to allow me to pass on the junk food.

-    First day of beginner body weight workout may have kicked my butt a little bit. I did complete it (with shaking legs), and my husband even helped me time the plank and said he might be interested in joining me next time! Home support win!

Friends just left at 11:00 pm - we'll see how waking up goes tomorrow morning.

And now Winston the English Bulldog enjoying Canadian winters:

yKVltrk.gif

Rebel Death Knight

End of day three report:

March 21st

-    Woke a little bit earlier and prayed/meditated - found my husband's puttering distracting so I really need to work at getting up early enough to meditate without distraction

-    Brushing/flossing completed for the day (good thing too, I'm in a snacky mood)

-    No fitness scheduled for today (but my legs are killing me from yesterday! I can barely squat to pick things up :P - funny how you don't realize how out of shape you've gotten until you actually do a workout)

I've also been delightedly distracted with the cooking challenge. This week's run on roasting is going to be so fun since I've only just started experimenting with roasting things. Plus it promotes my "Learn to Cook" quest! Huzzah! Brussel sprouts are down, beets - you're next :ph34r:

Rebel Death Knight

7 hours ago, Meushell said:

Nice goals. I have flossing too. LOL I brush, but I tend to not floss.

Thanks! Yeah... it was the flossing that really got me - I'm going for at least one filling tomorrow morning (maybe 2) that I'm none too happy about. On the other hand I can only fix the future at this point so flossing it is!

Rebel Death Knight

Uggggggg - fillings suck.

Anyway... End of day four report:

March 22nd

-    did my reading and meditated - the dentist appointment of doom made it almost impossible to keep my mind clear though, so glad it is over

-    Brushing/flossing completed for the day (although I didn't floss around the new filling - dentist said I should wait until tomorrow)

As an aside: My sticker chart in the bathroom for brushing/flossing makes my husband laugh

TVgtWcu.jpgrtSFCGq.jpg

I added a Kylo Ren sticker today because doom to fillings :angry:

-    Completed the BBWW and my husband joined me! It was too cold outside to jog as a warm up so we did stairs in the apartment building instead.

-    Still haven't looked up any cutting technique videos, but the Advanced guild challenge is still helping the quest "Learn to Cook - Advanced", so I'm not disappointed yet either :) Beets were roasted and consumed!

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

Love your goals .I.adore your goal board so cute.

.was looking at magnetic ones today...love the cooking technique knife skills..who doesn't want to be better with sharpy things lol .

Flossing is a great goal I.brush but flossing I forget.

Keep going.your kicking ass.

Nice chart. I should probably make something like that. Right now, I am tracking on my phone. An actual chart would probably be better. 

Hope you like the new dentist, at least it sounded like a new dentist. It took me a while to find one I liked. It's too bad that so many are crappy and/or greedy.

Did you like the beets? I bought some yesterday. The first time I bought them, which was a couple months ago, I had to ask the produce guy what they look like. LOL I had only seen the canned beets before. The greens are good in a smoothie or salad if you kept them.

Orc ~ Level 4 ~ Michaela's Profile

1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7

Strength 8 • Dexterity 3 • Stamina 4 • Constitution 7 • Wisdom 3 • Charisma 3

Thanks guys!

4 hours ago, Meushell said:

Hope you like the new dentist, at least it sounded like a new dentist. It took me a while to find one I liked. It's too bad that so many are crappy and/or greedy.

He's pretty good and waaaaaaay more efficient than any other dentist I've seen. I'm used to sitting the the waiting room for 1/2 an hour or more, but I'm usually called in as soon as I arrive with this one. Plus the hygienist took time to answer all of my many questions as to how to keep from needing any more of these awful fillings, I think this routine could work out :)

4 hours ago, Meushell said:

Did you like the beets? I bought some yesterday. The first time I bought them, which was a couple months ago, I had to ask the produce guy what they look like. LOL I had only seen the canned beets before. The greens are good in a smoothie or salad if you kept them.

I've been trying to convince myself to retry things that I think I "don't like" because I don't really want to be a picky eater. Turns out similar to you I had only seen the canned kind before as well :) Fresh beets are way tastier! I'm so glad I re-tried them, although the magical pink pee is a little funny...

I don't have any greens from these ones since I bought them from a local farmer a few weeks ago, and it's still pretty snowy here, but I agree the greens are good too (I've always like that part of the beet). They're nice wilted with some kind of vinegar.

End of Day 5 report

March 23rd

-    Did my reading and meditation - earliest wake up so far by about 5 minutes, but I'd still prefer even earlier (like 20 minutes)

-    Brushing/flossing - Done!

-    Rest day for exercise

-    Knife skills tried out!

- It took me a while to find a video that I could learn from.

- I tried watching Tim Ferriss and didn't get it.

- I tried watching Jamie Oliver and still was not getting it.

- Finally found a basic tutorial from Allrecipes and understood! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydc_SaQ_eRQ)

- I started out by just practicing chopping, and voila! Cucumber chopped and fingers intact!

- yH38jq7.jpg

Rebel Death Knight

End of Day 6 report

March 24th

-    Did my reading and meditation - matched yesterday's wake up time, but was more alert. It feels like I might be getting somewhere :)

-    Brushing/flossing - Done before I left for the youth program.

-    Did my run and while I'm glad I did it, I kind of flopped it too...

- I wasn't feeling real great this morning (and still don't really feel awesome now), but I decided to try the run anyway. I ran faster than last time but only made 8 minutes before I had a stitch in my side a neck cramp, a shoulder pain, and my legs were sore. I can blame the legs on the BBWW actually making them work (which means they'll get tougher eventually), but the neck, shoulder, and stitch were my own fault for forgetting my sports bra. Womp womp. I did intermittent walking and jogging back to work (because it is too cold out not too) and was outside for around 20 minutes.

- Since the point is to at the very least try, I still get credit and I hope to feel better tomorrow.

-    No chopping practice - I do not cook anything more complicated than eggs on Friday since I only have 1 hour between work and the youth program I volunteer for so I also lack time to practice, this was a known limitation :P

Rebel Death Knight

Hymnusal dragggggs her butt back into the arena.

So, this may seem hard to believe, but this is literally the first time I have been at a computer since my last update that wasn't the one at work. I would have been doing updates at lunch hour, but I'm training people for the next month or so, and I had to use lunch to go hide from the questions *disappears under desk with book*.

Catch up for you guys - End of Day 12 report

March 25th

-    Reading and meditation ✓

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Took a sick day from exercising, that ickiness I felt on Friday got worse :(

-    Sort of chopped cauliflower, but it wasn't the ideal shape to practice on.

March 26th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - Late, but done

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    No food was chopped that day

Side note: this was a HORRIBLE day for mental fog. I did some things that I really, really regret (physically harmed a friend by getting in a tussle which was all good fun till I got upset and decided I was tired of it and was going to end it - we both came out with only bruises, but it could have and should have been way worse. I haven't been that vicious since I was a kid fighting with my brothers, and what scares me is I didn't really realize what I was doing until we were both falling).

March 27th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - UGGG MORNINGS

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Got super frustrated by all of the things I had to do and how I was never going to get exercise in too. Husband pointed out that Monday/Wednesday aren't as convenient as Tuesday/Thursday, so we're trying that out now

-    Chopped potatoes and beets ✓

March 28th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - didn't happen until mid morning at work, hello underside of the desk

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    It snowed again! (*sigh*) so we did a dance party in the living room as a warm up for the BBWW. Tried to increase where I could and did all of my pushups at ground level (still on my knees, but I had been using the edge of a chair to help me do the last few before today).

-    Strongly suspect that I did not practice chopping since I can't even remember what I ate...

Side note: Went to Beauty and the Beast and really enjoyed it!

March 29th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - didn't happen until mid morning at work, hello underside of the desk - we meet again

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    No chopping (supper at Grandparents - managed to escape dessert by eating so slow that they had finished dessert before I finished my main course, hehehe)

March 30th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - I did get up in time for the reading, but I think it was the shortest meditation yet... I need to consider what I might be able to do to make this easier for me...

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Husband complained that his legs hurt too much from Tuesday so I did the BBWW alone. Still made some gains, hoping to start doing two sets once the pushups don't suck so much.

-    Chopped up a head of cauliflower ✓

Rebel Death Knight

The dude in the middle looks like he's going to slaughter the whole flock of cheery pink horsies. Did you plan it that way?

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

I like the stickers. There is a combo I never thought of before.

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

The dude in the middle looks like he's going to slaughter the whole flock of cheery pink horsies. Did you plan it that way?

Noooooooooo! LOL

Maybe they are going to attack him they only look cheery and innocent. 

Orc ~ Level 4 ~ Michaela's Profile

1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7

Strength 8 • Dexterity 3 • Stamina 4 • Constitution 7 • Wisdom 3 • Charisma 3

On 4/1/2017 at 1:41 PM, Erza Scarlet said:

I love your calendar! It's so creative. :redface: Aghh I hope the fillings appointment goes OK.

12 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

1 hour ago, Meushell said:

I like the stickers. There is a combo I never thought of before.

Noooooooooo! LOL

Maybe they are going to attack him they only look cheery and innocent. 

Haha, thanks! Kylo Ren is on the day that I got the filling, the dentist decided to only do one and keep watching the other tooth. Don't worry, I started April off right with Chewbacca!

Catch up for you guys - End of Day 14 report

March 31st

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Forgot my shoes at home, but also debating shifting the running one day to follow the new schedule

-    Knife skills ✓ - No chopping, but I did learn what knife to cut tomatoes with and tried that out! (Why have I been torturing myself with the wrong knife for so long! ... unfortunately I thought it was a bun knife, not a soft vegetable and fruit knife... oops)

April 1st

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - Late, but I tried something different by meditating with a blank sheet of paper to doodle on, I tried on blue (see below)

9XoKy8K.jpg?1

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Fitness ✓ - husband felt better so we did a 5 minute jog and the BBWW for one round. The pushups are taking less out of me each time, it is super exciting!

-    Knife skills ✓ - Chopped broccoli and baby bok choy

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

End of Day 16 report

April 2nd

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - husband was up in the middle of the night with a flu, so I didn't sleep much between back rubbing, blanket fetching, and keeping him supplied with rinsing water, ergo, meditation got moved to the evening. On the other hand I was less sleepy, and therefore able to focus better - maybe we're on to something here.

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    No fitness scheduled for today

-    Knife skills - nothing cut up today

April 3rd

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - tried evening again after brushing my teeth, went pretty well, will continue this experiment.

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Knife skills ❌ - I cut up a green pepper and some spinach, but forgot to use my new skills. oops

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

Hello computer, how have you been this week. We should hang out some time besides when I am at work so I can update people about what's going on, that would be cool.

Anyway...

End of Day 20 report

April 4th

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Fitness ✓ - 1.5 rounds BBWW

-    Knife skills ✓ - Chopped turnip, potatoes, carrots and asparagus for soup

April 5th

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Knife skills ✓ - Chopped apples, green pepper, zucchini, and kale for a stir fry. Tried a new technique of rolling the Kale leaves before chopping them, it was pretty effective!

April 6th

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Fitness ✓ - 1 rounds BBWW, lugged a lot of groceries several blocks may be why I didn't have the energy for another round.

-    Knife skills - I don't remember what I ate... I think it was toast? Definitely wasn't chopped then.

April 7th

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    No fitness scheduled for today, but being able to outrun the kids at Youth Group made me feel like a champion ✓

-    Knife skills - lol no, had supper out because husband had to go to a dress rehearsal for his concert tomorrow

April 8th is looking pretty crazy, I'm helping a friend move, then doing a drama practice, then doing a Ukrainian egg painting workshop, then going to a choral society concert to watch my husband sing, then pass out. I think passing out would be acceptable at that point. I'll try to do some squats or something while helping the friend move since that may be the only way I squeeze any proper workout into tomorrow.

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

End of Day 22

April 8th

-    Reading and meditation ❌ - Mediation, yes, reading no.

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Fitness ✓ - Helped move a friend and walked 5km, given how busy I was this is counting.

-    Knife skills - Did I even see a knife today?

April 9th

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Knife skills ❌ - Cut up zucchini all wrong, because I was in a hurry.

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

End of Day 23

April 10th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - Barely made it 0.0

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Knife skills - I sliced bread with a bread knife, but I already know how to do that :concern:

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

End of Day 24

April 11th

-    Reading and meditation ✓ - Back on course

-    Brushing/flossing ✓

-    Fitness ✓- Husband opted out, but I carried on without him. Dubstep dance party warm up, 1 round BBWW, Yoga cool down - Pushups are getting easier! Huzzah! :D

-    Knife skills ✓- Tomato slicing and cucumber chopping

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight