17352007_388241244908898_870611104705084

So yeah, being an adult is bullshit. I guess I'm either stressing myself out too much or not enough. My HRV is constant most days, then a huge drop on one accompanied by skin inflammation. Might just be adjusting to the move. Haven't lifted, but I've been walking a lot more, apparently. Anyway, I'm looking to focus on the micro level and just getting a little bit done each day, because time management is murdering all my progress.

I will be continuing my previous challenge, focusing on knocking out 2 modules a week.

PERKS:

actionboy.gif

My time management is garbage. I signed up for Mind Tools and have a 12-unit Time Management Learning Plan.

1. Managing Interruptions

2. Activity Logs

3. To-Do-Lists

4. Prioritization

5. The Action Priority Matrix

6. Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Principle

7. The Pickle Jar Theory

8. Effective Scheduling

9. Personal Goal Setting

10. Golden Rules of Goal Setting

11. Treasure Mapping

12. Overcoming Procrastination

comprehension.jpg

I should be on the last half of the last semester before graduating. I barely made it through the first half, and I'd like to cruise during this half. Focusing on a little every day instead of my usual cramming, I will allot 2.5 hours a week for coursework outside of school.

ATTRIBUTE:

strength.jpg

I got a bit carried away with the GymnasticBodies and tried to really plow through the skills. I'm already on Foundation 3 for lower body, and really moving along for Manna, Side Lever, and Rope Climb, to the detriment of my other skills. The priority is to at least hit one GB skill and one kettlebell skill per day. No rush. Enjoy the grind.

I shall be utilizing a similar accountability spreadsheet as I use with the people I'm coaching.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Machete said:

I should be on the last half of the last semester before graduating. I barely made it through the first half, and I'd like to cruise during this half. Focusing on a little every day instead of my usual cramming, I will allot one hour each weekday for coursework outside of school.

I believe this was answered previously, and hell, it might have been me who asked, but what are you studying? 

14 hours ago, Machete said:

I got a bit carried away with the GymnasticBodies and tried to really plow through the skills. I'm already on Foundation 3 for lower body, and really moving along for Manna, Side Lever, and Rope Climb, to the detriment of my other skills. The priority is to at least hit one GB skill and one kettlebell skill per day. No rush. Enjoy the grind.

Are you trying to hit a GB workout per day?  Are you doing any of their stretch routines?  Seems like you have a pretty amazing foundation of solid movement, so I'd be curious how much they would challenge you.  

• Like 1
On 3/20/2017 at 0:10 AM, Machete said:

So yeah, being an adult is bullshit

Quoting for truth.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 3/20/2017 at 0:23 PM, Kishi said:

So, show up and have fun. That's the impression I get of this challenge. Sounds like it'll be great. :)

Yep. Trying to manage what to show up to, because my parents will no longer tell me. Hah

On 3/20/2017 at 2:41 PM, Rooks said:

I believe this was answered previously, and hell, it might have been me who asked, but what are you studying? 

Are you trying to hit a GB workout per day?  Are you doing any of their stretch routines?  Seems like you have a pretty amazing foundation of solid movement, so I'd be curious how much they would challenge you.  

Sport & Exercise Science MS. Been at it for 5 years now, 2 different institutions. I enjoy it, but I might have to graduate someday. Haha

Just looking at hitting a skill or two a day. I got stuck on the ring rows, but after that I'm just blasting through the rope climb skills, I figure I'd double-down on those and do them every day. I'm actually on Foundation 3 with Side Lever, Manna, Single-Leg Squat, and Rope Climb now, but still stalled on the Front Lever (since I hate doing them). The Hollow Back Press is moving right along, and the Straddle Planche and Handstand are on hold because of a wrist issue. Hand balancing appears to be my biggest limiter at the moment. 

Never tried their stretch courses. I saw the sample, but the basic skills keep me busy. 

22 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Quoting for truth.

I don't even know why I'm allowed to sign contracts. 

15 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Hey now, this is supposed to be a clean forum. We don't use the A-word here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accountability? Or Action Boy? Haha

• Like 2

Studying is harder than I thought. I'm going to go with a total of 2.5 hours a week for now, then adjust as applicable.

Rope climb is proving to be challenging because of equipment. Can't find a high bar around here. A shame, I used to have access to a park with a bunch of gymnastics apparatuses that I could use to knock a lot of these out. Wrist issues still bothering me so I skipped handstands for the week. Can't even do any getups with substantial load. Got back on a deadlift though, and was able to pull a good 265 for 10. I'm thinking I'll just work on keeping my 100 snatches for the TSC, to avoid dishonoring StrongFirst. Haha

Garbage eating and no training yesterday, but quite a bit of walking. Had an hour to myself and I was in that part of town so I hit up the range, and I finally qualified Sharpshooter for the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program (with a caliber obviously too big for me). Dry fire training definitely paid off. HRV today is phenomenal, so that day might have been just what I needed.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've heard all about how rope climbing is the bee's knees for pulling strength and power, but actually getting to a place where you can climb is a pain and a half. You'd have to live in a forest and have a permanent set up, I think. Or a climbing gym...

and now I'm looking up climbing gyms in Raleigh. See what you made me do.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, I've heard all about how rope climbing is the bee's knees for pulling strength and power, but actually getting to a place where you can climb is a pain and a half. You'd have to live in a forest and have a permanent set up, I think. Or a climbing gym...

and now I'm looking up climbing gyms in Raleigh. See what you made me do.

Hahaha. The old CrossFit gym I coached at closed-down, and my membership to the other one just lapsed, so currently no rope options for me. I might try belt pulls for F4.

Did some Single Leg Squat work last night, along with some 28kg Snatches. It was either Gray Cook or Mark Cheng who said that if you can't do it slow, you're hiding something, and I've definitely been hiding something with my SL Squats. I can easily knock out 10 pistols in a row both legs while getting gas, but a 10-second descent for 5 was hell. It definitely allows one to feel the movement, and I imagine my pistols will be a lot better after this cycle.

• Like 2

Wow, it's been a week, I guess.

Anyway, I guess I never learn, swamped in schoolwork I've procrastinated in doing and now I have to hustle. Maybe I secretly enjoy this. I guess I like to live in danger. I don't know.

Might have finally stalled on Rope Climbs with the Butter Makers. We'll see. Hit a GB skill or two a day, with arch body holds yesterday, which were horrible. Mostly did TGUs, and I'm up to 10 with 36kg, working on getting them EMOM (only got 6 like that).

TSC is next week. Not really in it to win it, but that just might be my cop-out for not training for it. Haha.

• Like 3
On 4/3/2017 at 1:53 AM, mightstone2k said:

What are your thoughts on this article?  

I'm not one to say high-rep pushups have no value, I personally had a 500 a day quota when I was 15. It's practice as well. That's probably how you see those old, seemingly out-of-shape enlisted guys who can smoke a fitness test with no training; they've just taken the test so many times their bodies remember how to perform.

Repping out 30%-40% RM sets for 5 is also a pushup and situp improvement strategy used by Military Athlete.

Got through the weekend and was able to turn all my homework and projects in. For the IG followers who saw the lab methods binder I was talking about, that was a semester's worth of work that I had to do in 4 days, because I am a dumbass. Or I like to live in danger.

Worked with a 12 year-old girl who smoked 5 sets of 60-second Hollow Holds with a blank facial expression. Then 5 sets of 60-secon Arch Holds. After that I had to sack-up and finish my Hollow Holds. I'm on both Hollow and Arch Rocks now for GB. Took a break for a few days.

We're doing lab experiments and took baselines as well. Don't care too much about my leg press, and my mid-thigh pull was measured in Newtons, so no use there. My bench was still decent at 185 for 6. What surprised me was my VO2max, which calculated out to be in the "excellent" category, despite my last run being 8th of January. Another kettlebell what the hell effect, I suppose. We'll see how it goes this week.

TSC was a fun time, though only 5 of us competed. Pulled a 375 Deadlift, 35 Pullups, and 116 Snatches. And I'm currently ranked #29, which shows you how "Novice" has a very broad definition. I might actually train for the next one. I'm really inspired to sharpen my Deadlift technique now.

Also hit a 107-pound Turkish Getup, which came as a very pleasant surprise.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Out of curiosity, you weigh how much at how tall? Those are legit numbers. You're pulling twice MY bodyweight at 6'0".

Thanks. 5'2", 145 at the moment.

How's the pushup work going for you?

Yesterday was my first day doing them after almost a week of R&R from a virus (which is still tenaciously here, but I got antsy). Sets were 30/28/25/22/20/20/20/20, for a total of 185. I did them less frequently than EHOH; tried to be more fresh. Based on the set of 30, I could grind out another three if I had to. Still moving up the max set every week.

And jeebus. That getup was 75% bodyweight. You are insane.

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

On 4/10/2017 at 7:41 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Dang. Impressive.

On 4/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, mightstone2k said:

Yesterday was my first day doing them after almost a week of R&R from a virus (which is still tenaciously here, but I got antsy). Sets were 30/28/25/22/20/20/20/20, for a total of 185. I did them less frequently than EHOH; tried to be more fresh. Based on the set of 30, I could grind out another three if I had to. Still moving up the max set every week.

And jeebus. That getup was 75% bodyweight. You are insane.

Thanks. I try. Found that it took me a year and about a 7-9 pound weight gain to go from 90 lbs. to 107 lbs. in the Getup. Practical application of tension is indeed a learned skill.

How's your scapular position, by the way? Do you retract and depress them like on a powerlifting bench press? I've been working with a few folks on their push-ups, and that extra ROM of scap protraction takes a lot out of them.

How's your scapular position, by the way? Do you retract and depress them like on a powerlifting bench press? I've been working with a few folks on their push-ups, and that extra ROM of scap protraction takes a lot out of them.

I have no idea. I don't think I do anything with my scaps, but it's not something I think about. Trying to focus on loosening up on the descent and "bouncing" up.

Edit: front deltoids are my limiting factor. I get to 20, and they want to stop working. The next ten reps are a bit of a grind.

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

On 4/13/2017 at 7:12 AM, mightstone2k said:

I have no idea. I don't think I do anything with my scaps, but it's not something I think about. Trying to focus on loosening up on the descent and "bouncing" up.

Edit: front deltoids are my limiting factor. I get to 20, and they want to stop working. The next ten reps are a bit of a grind.

Try pulling your scapulae back (like pinching a pen between your back) and down, and locking it down in that position before testing. It's a shorter ROM and totally legal.

FWIW, I'd count this as a win too. You're certainly doing, if not All The Things, certainly a Non-Zero Integer of Respectable Quantity of The Things.

Also, dude, that relative strength. Dang. Lemme ask - since I'm taller and have less hair and am weaker, can I be the Nappa to your Vegeta?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

FWIW, I'd count this as a win too. You're certainly doing, if not All The Things, certainly a Non-Zero Integer of Respectable Quantity of The Things.

Also, dude, that relative strength. Dang. Lemme ask - since I'm taller and have less hair and am weaker, can I be the Nappa to your Vegeta?

Hahaha. Now that you mention it, the guy who introduced me to S&S and StrongFirst, and an old sparring partner from back home are really into DBZ and started a gym called the Gravity Chamber. We're all around the same weight and are constantly trying to outdo each other on Instagram. (107# Getup just put me in the lead. He's going to have to break out that 300# Squat sometime soon.)

• Like 3