Jump to content

The Secret Garden


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

 

Food... It is everywhere.  And when I say food, I don't mean broccoli and carrots.  I mean fast food burgers, fried donuts, a full candy bowl, and must I go on?

 

Goals of wanting to lose weight, gain muscle, have energy, and/or have control is hard when through out the day it's always challenged with junk.  With the high stress levels we live in, it's easy to break down with a spoon and a tub of ice cream. Marketers understand how fast paced our life is, how stress levels effect our hormones and eating habits, and how to make food delicious to where we just keep eating and eating. Sugar and excessive carbs are a big one.  

 

That's where the Secret Garden comes in.  This is an accountabilibuddy that pushes us past our regret of the sleeve of Oreos, high fives for the week with out sugar, gives wonderful advice and shares great failures.

 

The Secret Garden is to find control in our food choices.  To give meaning and strength to our goals and habits.

 

Are you an over eater? Are you a sugar junkie? Are you just trying to eliminate potato chips?  Believe me, you are not the only one. We all have that feeling, the "lizard brain" and we all have the WANT to be better. 

 

Lets help each other out.  Because to be honest, I need this.  I've yo'yo'd my way from diet to diet. Eliminating, restricting, and bingeing. Reading how people feel about food, how they eliminate certain foods and succeed give me strength to do it in my own.  I only hope this place does the same for you.

 

Rules in the Secret Garden

  • Be vulnerable
  • Be honest
  • Share your failures
  • Share your success'
  • Push through to help others push as well
  • Check in once in a while.  Read and "like" so we know your around.
  • If you come upon something inspiring that helped you get through the day, please share!  You might help someone else's day!

 

The Secret Garden's agenda

In the Garden, I keep it simple to keep up with.  We all have our own life, goals, and agenda's. I keep it very minimum.

  • Once a week I will post
    • A podcast
    • A blog
    • Questions to ask yourself (You can share or just keep to yourself)
    • Anything else I find inspiring to help push us through our goals.

 

To enter the Garden answer these questions so we know what your all about!

1. What food/drink are you going to eliminate/control? And Why (What does it do to you mentally? Physically? etc.)?

2. What challenges do you think you'll face eliminating the food?

3. How are you planning to avoid these foods/drink?

4. What is it that you want to get out of this challenge?

 

Again this is just to pop in to help each other and have a reminder why you want to have more control or what ever it is you decide.  To take care of our habits so they grow a deeper root in our daily lives. 

 

Welcome!

  • Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

1. What food/drink are you going to eliminate/control? And Why (What does it do to you mentally? Physically? etc.)?

       I've eliminated sugar out of my diet already, and I don't think I'll ever go back. The thing I want to control now is my portions.  I eat fairly healthy. But I always eat when I'm not hungry.  I use my bigger plates to make my dinner plate.  Mentallly it pushes me down with shame. and Physically, I'm carrying unnesssery weight, to be honest to, it's kind of wasteful.  The food I over eat, I could save for the next day.

      The other thing I want to eliminate as much as possible is Wheat and Dairy.  Dairy breaks my face out and bloats me. Wheat makes me groggy, moody, and hard to ride bike.

 

2. What challenges do you think you'll face eliminating the food?

     My family loves pizza. We love going to a local pizza place. This is going to be challenging...  We also found out a local pizza place delivers to our little town!

    Also food = Comfort.  When I'm stressed, I eat, when I'm angry, I eat.  When I'm lonely and sad, I eat.  Being in this fairly new job position is going to be hard not to control. Tax season is almost over with Mr. Butternut but stress levels are still high.

 

3. How are you planning to avoid these foods/drink?

     I have 3 size plates in my cupboard.  I am not allowed to use the biggest ones. I will use either the small or medium with how hungry I am.

     After I am done eating I will wait to see if I'm still hungry. 

     I will have some peppermit oil so I don't eat as I'm putting food away

     Mark on my calender when I over eat so I can see if I'm doing it a lot or not much.

    

4. What is it that you want to get out of this challenge

    Control and to have a minimalist attitude.  The Western Society has always made eating more then you need a normal thing.  As I'm getting older and researching other countries and the human body, it's not right.  Meat should be a condiment.  Grains should be a side.  And we don't have to eat to our fill every time.

  • Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

To enter the Garden answer these questions so we know what your all about!

1. What food/drink are you going to eliminate/control? And Why (What does it do to you mentally? Physically? etc.)?

Removing carbs! Trying to eat "lazy keto."

 

2. What challenges do you think you'll face eliminating the food?

Carb cravings

 

3. How are you planning to avoid these foods/drink?

Work out a lot! That seems to take all hunger away. Also planning on doing some batch cooking, so I have plenty of on-diet foods around.

 

4. What is it that you want to get out of this challenge?

In terms of food, I'd like to maintain greater self control. 

 

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

 

Link to comment

To enter the Garden answer these questions so we know what your all about!

 

1. What food/drink are you going to eliminate/control? And Why (What does it do to you mentally? Physically? etc.)?

I am working on a no/low sugar lifestyle. I have more energy when I use my calories for whole foods. Additionally, if I eat sugar more than a couple of times a week I become addicted and start to crave something sweet daily, usually in the afternoon. Since I have severely cut back my daily afternoon cravings for sweets have stopped. I need additional accountability and reminders to remind myself why I am doing this. 

 

2. What challenges do you think you'll face eliminating the food?

The sneak sugar into everything. And sometimes the alternatives are more work or are hard to fit into my lifestyle. Also, per my medical team, I need to cut back on meat and eat more vegetarian protein. Until my current calorie restriction ends, I can't get enough protein eating just vegetarian whole foods. My protein powder and greek yogurt has some but not a lot of sugar in it. I can't use any protein powder with additives beyond the whey/sugar/stevia. Organic/natural/stevia kinds with no sugar are expensive. Plain greek yogurt is unappetizing. I buy plain vanilla greek yogurt but it has some sugar. The kind with no sugar is more expensive. So I guess I've just identified money as the barrier. I have however managed to switch to natural no sugar added peanut butter, which took me years to do. And costs more than regular PB. ugh. 

 

3. How are you planning to avoid these foods/drink?

Try to make more money? LOL

The main way I've tried to work on this is by planning my food the night before so that I have no room in my day(calories) for added treats. 

I also read nutrition labels like it is my job. 

Try to purchase whole foods as much as possible. The things I buy out of a box/can/container are very limited. Mainly it's just the protein powder and yogurt. 

 

4. What is it that you want to get out of this challenge?

Reminders for myself of why I am doing no/low sugar. 

Remind myself to read labels and say no to sugar at social events. 

I also want to make smart choices when I do go out to eat so I am limiting calorie/sugar impact. 

 

Also, we should ask a mod to move this to PVP challenges, then you won't have to repost it every challenge. It will always exist in each challenge. Do you want me to ask?

 

Unless you want it to be for this challenge only. 

  • Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Organic/natural/stevia kinds with no sugar are expensive. Plain greek yogurt is unappetizing. I buy plain vanilla greek yogurt but it has some sugar. The kind with no sugar is more expensive. So I guess I've just identified money as the barrier. I have however managed to switch to natural no sugar added peanut butter, which took me years to do. And costs more than regular PB. ugh. 

It is hard to realize that it's so expensive.  To be honest, and this may sound crazy, its the one reason why I want to eat less than I have too.  So I can afford the good stuff.  Also fasting from time to time.

 

I'm always looking for discounts too.  Good for you with the peanut butter.  I remember hating the stuff, now I love just have a spoon full of it with a banana or some dates. Once in awhile though when I have the sugar stuff I can see why people prefer it! ^_^  Its so good.

 

21 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Also, we should ask a mod to move this to PVP challenges, then you won't have to repost it every challenge. It will always exist in each challenge. Do you want me to ask?

 

This would be fantastic, what do you think @Primeval?

 

21 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I also read nutrition labels like it is my job. 

I bought organic chicken stock the other day.  Didn't look at the label until I was cooking..  What was in it????  Organic Cane Sugar.... Why?!?! Why do we need to put sugar in it!

 

Tadda, your gonna get there! I'm glad your talking about reminders. That's what I need.  And whenever I do dive into food I don't attend to,  I always focus on my "Hangover" for the next time I see the food I won't want to eat it.

  • Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, Butternut said:

 

This would be fantastic, what do you think @Primeval?

 

I am inexperienced with PVP forum, so I don't know for sure. One nice thing about starting a new thread every challenge is that it's easier for new people to jump in. I also like changing the theme. Secret garden this time ;) All of that said, PVP could be good...

  • Like 1

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

 

Link to comment
On 3/22/2017 at 7:45 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

2. What challenges do you think you'll face eliminating the food?

The sneak sugar into everything. And sometimes the alternatives are more work or are hard to fit into my lifestyle. Also, per my medical team, I need to cut back on meat and eat more vegetarian protein. Until my current calorie restriction ends, I can't get enough protein eating just vegetarian whole foods. My protein powder and greek yogurt has some but not a lot of sugar in it. I can't use any protein powder with additives beyond the whey/sugar/stevia. Organic/natural/stevia kinds with no sugar are expensive. Plain greek yogurt is unappetizing. I buy plain vanilla greek yogurt but it has some sugar. The kind with no sugar is more expensive. So I guess I've just identified money as the barrier. I have however managed to switch to natural no sugar added peanut butter, which took me years to do. And costs more than regular PB. ugh. 

 

Let's see here, no meat, no carb, no money. Hmmmm....

 

Eggs, tofu, boca burgers, tempeh. Sure you've thought of all of those, but anyway. 

 

This is going to sound weird, but trust me... One cup plain yogurt, one packet water flavoring (like crystal light). IT's AWESOME. 

  • Like 2

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

 

Link to comment

Confession...

 

yesterday my my husband and I went up to the local restaurant for lunch. Not many good healthy choices. I almost ordered a portebella sandwich with no bread....instead I ordered fish and chips and onion rings... 

 

I feel so gross today. I think it's almost "Dammit butternut! You could of done better!"

 

my mom used to say "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, no such thing"

 

i know I should look at it differently but it's a little hard today. 

  • Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Primeval said:

I am inexperienced with PVP forum, so I don't know for sure. One nice thing about starting a new thread every challenge is that it's easier for new people to jump in. I also like changing the theme. Secret garden this time All of that said, PVP could be good...

 

Same here! Not to fimiliar with it... can you explain @Taddea Zhaan? ^_^ 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

Here's a blog!  Food babe, shes a real chick with a real voice. 
 

This is how to save on organic food.  I am always shopping for food and I learned quite a few things from this.  So hope you get something out of it too! 

 

 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment
On 3/24/2017 at 4:45 AM, Butternut said:

Confession...

 

yesterday my my husband and I went up to the local restaurant for lunch. Not many good healthy choices. I almost ordered a portebella sandwich with no bread....instead I ordered fish and chips and onion rings... 

 

I feel so gross today. I think it's almost "Dammit butternut! You could of done better!"

 

my mom used to say "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, no such thing"

 

i know I should look at it differently but it's a little hard today. 

Ah well. You just got to pick up where you left up and keep going. Also, it's an opportunity to problem solve. What about this event caused you to cheat on your diet, and how will you prevent it? 

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

 

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Primeval said:

Ah well. You just got to pick up where you left up and keep going. Also, it's an opportunity to problem solve. What about this event caused you to cheat on your diet, and how will you prevent it? 

 

Ah I like that.  Because I had the mentality that "It's a bar, greasy food, haven't had it anything like this forever and this is the first time we've been out"  We haven't gone out for a while.  It was a silly excuse.

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

Week goals

 

Instead of using the word "Should" replace it with "Could" 

 

Example "I should have done better" turn it into "I could do _______ instead" 

 

We can use that for anything in our lives "I should work out" or "I should have friends over"  instead turn it into your choice "I could workout after work" or "I could call my friends today and invite them over"  It turns into your choice.   To be honest I got this from a writer and her name is "Margie Warrell" on a podcast I was listening to.  It hit home for me because I am more of a "should" person. 

  • Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Butternut said:

Week goals

 

Instead of using the word "Should" replace it with "Could" 

 

Example "I should have done better" turn it into "I could do _______ instead" 

 

We can use that for anything in our lives "I should work out" or "I should have friends over"  instead turn it into your choice "I could workout after work" or "I could call my friends today and invite them over"  It turns into your choice.   To be honest I got this from a writer and her name is "Margie Warrell" on a podcast I was listening to.  It hit home for me because I am more of a "should" person. 

 

I like this! I'll write this down in my challenge journal and think about it this week. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Link to comment

This has been a super busy week and it's only going to get busier. 

 

I'm fighting my cravings and sticking to no dairy, wheat and keeping the minimalist attitude while fighting the stress. 

 

I will be traveling tomorrow so I'll post a podcast if I get a good one.

 

Have a good week!

 

 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

I effortlessly resisted candy this weekend. I've been doing low/no sugar since January and it is finally paying off. Each week now it seems like it takes minimal effort to turn down treats. 


There was one weekend where we got free donuts with our brunch and I had half of one, but am okay with rare occasional treats like that.

 

That's how they get ya though. Sneak fresh hot cinnamon donuts in your face when you are starving for a hot brunch. ;)

  • Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Link to comment
On 4/3/2017 at 0:58 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

I effortlessly resisted candy this weekend. I've been doing low/no sugar since January and it is finally paying off. Each week now it seems like it takes minimal effort to turn down treats. 


There was one weekend where we got free donuts with our brunch and I had half of one, but am okay with rare occasional treats like that.

 

That's how they get ya though. Sneak fresh hot cinnamon donuts in your face when you are starving for a hot brunch.

 

Thats fantastic! 

 

Ive been sneaking it in here and there and I seem to only want more. I'm going cold turkey again. Because my mind just can't control my lizard brain. 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

Podcast!!

 

http://unbeatablemind.com/robb-wolf/

 

Ive seen Robb Wolf name from time to time. I heard him on Abel James and he seems like a real genuine person. 

 

This podcast is on Mark Divine The Unbeatable Mind.  Robb Wolf goes through he's findings and how he get to where he is today. 

 

If your interested look up the Abel James Fatburning man with Robb Wolf.  He tells in interesting story and the difference between a banana and a cookie.  It made me want to go get blood work done. Not sure where to start but I'm curious. 

 

Anyway happy eating!

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

I've been doing a lot of driving this week, so there has been a lot of thinking.

 

I'm attached to food.  I think we all are to a certain food, maybe food in general.

 

It's like that bad boyfriend you don't understand why your with but your just there because it's easier to give in. 

 

If anyone has been in that bad relationship you understand you eventually have to Detach from it.  Detach from the person, from the environment, and most of all detach from the emotions.

 

These thoughts came up when reading @Taddea Zhaan posts saying that since she's cut out sugar it's easier to say no to the donuts and junk.  She's detached that from the emotion.

 

Is that all we need to do, is break up from the emotions we have towards food that is sabotaging what we want?

 

In the past few days coming, I've been using this.  Detachment.  I got home last night, after going all day with just greens and small amounts of protein.  I was proud of myself for eating my veggies and staying very low carb, but when I got home, my husband had made spaghetti.  Instead of grabbing noodles, I just warmed up the sauce and ate a bowl of that.  After that I had the urge to keep eating, and I remembered to detach from those urges.  It was easy and rewarding to go straight to bed.

 

Hope this makes sense.

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

http://fatburningman.com/4-simple-strategies-to-burn-fat-after-a-binge/

 

I'm the binge eater here. Just read this article because last night I had 4 slices of pizza and a pop.

 

Guilt was lingering this morning and I read a couple of articles, this one seemed to be the more positive one. 

 

I'm going to work out hard this morning and move on.

 

Ive been letting sugar back into my diet, just to test it. And I'm telling you what, it's not worth it. 

 

Its hard getting ting out of bed and I've been extra moody. 

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines